Jets "all over" Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks.

joewilly12

Now that Steve Smith signed with Balt. Maybe they don't go WR in 1st rd?

IDK

Smith isn't a long term solution.  Think it is still very possible they go WR in 1st

All reports are that both Flacco and Roethlisberger have been lobbying for a big-bodied WR, so I would have to imagine Mike Evans is going to be high on their lists.  Either way, it looks like the Jets are going to have one of Lee, Cooks or Beckham available at 18, which if they select any of them will make my entire f*cking year. 

All reports are that both Flacco and Roethlisberger have been lobbying for a big-bodied WR, so I would have to imagine Mike Evans is going to be high on their lists.  Either way, it looks like the Jets are going to have one of Lee, Cooks or Beckham available at 18, which if they select any of them will make my entire f*cking year. 

If Evans is available at 16, the Jets should trade up for him

If Evans is available at 16, the Jets should trade up for him

I think the Jets need a guy who can stretch the field. Signing Decker was a great move but the Jets lack a WR that forces a DC's hand to account for the short and long ball. Hill is capable, but hasn't lived up to his potential. Evans is not that kind of WR and neither is Kerley or Decker. I like Odell, I think he's the perfect combo of Cooks and Lee. He's 6 ft too so he can play on the outside opposite of Decker, with Kerley manning the slot. 

That's just plain sad. :1cry:

What does everyone realistically think the chances of Ebron being there at 18 are?  And would that be a smart pick?  I've seen mocks that have him going to Buffalo at 9!

A number one receiver in Lee and Cook would be a better option then Ebron. As for as were he lands is a mystery. Eifert was projected going any where from 9 to 26.

If that's the case, I hope one of them takes Kelvin Benjamin.

Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg attended the pro day of Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, a player New York has reportedly been "all over."

Cooks is a dynamic slot receiver that also possesses the ability to stretch the field. He has the stop-start quickness of Tavon Austin, but is a more polished route runner and has a better understanding of how to get open. Cooks would be a welcome addition to a Jets' offense desperately in need of weapons. Cooks or North Carolina TE Eric Ebron would make a lot of sense for the Jets at pick 18.

Great we're all over a player that might not be available when we pick, meanwhile all the FA worth a shi* are being scooped up.

Would you take Lee or Cooks?

I'd take Cooks. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I like Cooks a lot and don't like Lee as much as most. That post you quoted outlined a lot of what I like about Cooks. Essentially the big weakness with him is lack of height - because he's really not skinny for his size like Tavon Austin was last year. But he's a pretty versatile wideout. In college he showed the ability to beat DB's downfield and the ability to make special plays after the catch. He also showed the ability to excel both outside and in the slot. So I think he fits the Jets from that perspective - the WCO that Mornhinweg likes to run involves taking deep shots and stretching the field which I think Cooks can provide more than anyone else on the roster and more than Lee, but also uses the screen game a lot where Cooks is explosive and one of the best wideouts in the draft (along with Allen Robinson, who I'd love the Jets to take a look at if he's there in the third or later). Plus Mornhinweg moves receivers around a lot so the aforementioned ability to play in the slot and outside is valuable. And the lack of height isn't a huge deal with Decker as the primary wideout and Nelson and Hill likely to at least be on the roster and fill some roles. Even less so if they sign James Jones.

There's a couple of things that make Lee a risky selection to me. He had more help at wideout his huge year than Cooks did this year - Robert Woods was alright for the Bills last year and a pretty high second round pick. Didn't allow defenses to key on him as much - part of my concern with Beckham too as much as I like him, playing like Landry had to help. And Lee's a great leaper and an explosive athlete despite his lack of 40 - but he's not tall or particularly bulky. In the NFL, starting caliber DB's are also great leapers and he won't have a substantial height, bulk, or jumping edge on a lot of them like he would have in college. And his speed is very average - which I think shows up when you watch him, not only when he runs his 40.

So I just don't see enough special traits that will make him have an easy time getting open and catching passes to be a legitimate top end option. His physical profile really is more along the lines of a #2 receiver - in a scenario where things break right it seems like you're looking at something like Reggie Wayne - which is nice, but Wayne had plenty of time to come along slowly in a much better offense than the Jets have. And you also have to look at what have you done for me lately - Lee did not have a good season this past year. His drop rate was ridiculously high which is concerning and there are questions about his technique catching passes, if I'm taking a wideout high without a dominant physical profile I'd like him to have consistent hands which he didn't show last season. And he was dinged up much of last year which is just another red flag.

Obviously he had a special, special sophomore season - but I think people are getting too blinded by that and he's so underrated because he had a rough season this year that he's underrated now and the best wideout in the draft. But he's the same guy with an average physical profile aside from the hops and general ability to cut explosively who I thought was a mid first round pick last year as a slower but better leaping version of Jeremy Maclin, only he's coming off an injury plagued season where his hands were awful and his production was less than stellar. So I'm not really buying the underrated talk - at least not at 18.

Archived