Bill Polian's Sleeper QB of this years draft

SouthernJet

Bill Polian calls recent Vikings visitor Bryn Renner the ‘quarterback sleeper’ in draft

• 5 May, 2014 // 
  •  

By Chris Tomasson

ctomasson@pioneerpress.com

If the Vikings were hoping to keep their like for Bryn Renner a secret, the cat, or should we say the Tar Heel, might be out of the bag.

Renner, a quarterback from North Carolina, visited Minnesota recently in preparation for the May 8-10 NFL draft. He’s considered a late-round pick, but ESPN analyst and former NFL executive Bill Polian singled him out Monday in a conference call.

“Bryn Renner to me is the quarterback sleeper (in this week’s draft),’’ said Polian, a six-time NFL executive of the year.

Polian said he didn’t have details about how the right-handed Renner has recovered after hurting his left shoulder last season, but he really liked what he saw from him before the injury. Renner missed the final five games last season with a torn labrum but threw at the combine in February and last week told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel he’s 100 percent

The Vikings might not draft a quarterback with the No. 8 pick in the first round. They might instead look to grab one in a later round.

“He’s got good arm strength,’’ Polian said of Renner. “He’s got good release. He’s got good poise. He’s got some escapability. Not great, but some. I like his field generalship. He can make all the throws, and I think that had he had a complete senior year and not had this unfortunate injury get in the way, you’d be talking a lot more about Bryn Renner than we are in the media right now.’’

Renner, whose father Bill Renner, punted for Green Bay in 1986-87, threw 28 touchdown passes and had just seven interceptions as a junior in 2012 for the Tar Heels while throwing for 3,356 yards. In seven games as a senior, he had 10 touchdowns and five interceptions with 1,765 yards.

Polian called Renner a guy he “would tag on my draft board’’ and that he’s a player teams “need to keep track of.’’

While the most likely scenario remains the Vikings taking a quarterback at some point in the draft who is rated higher by most analysts than Renner, he is a guy they are keeping tabs on.

http://blogs.twincities.com/vikings/2014/05/05/bill-polian-calls-recent-vikings-visitee-bryn-renner-the-quarterback-sleeper-in-draft/

1. @AskTheScout How about QB Renner late in draft. He was high rated, injured last year, but 100% now. http://bit.ly/1kT5NSe 

@SouthernJetNC He would be one of the QB's to consider late I look for the Jets to add a QB late in draft to develop.

OK how do you make an opinion based on this?

Bryn Renner to me is the quarterback sleeper (in this week’s draft),’’ said Polian, a six-time NFL executive of the year.

Polian said he didn’t have details about how the right-handed Renner has recovered after hurting his left shoulder last season, but he really liked what he saw from him before the injury.

OK how do you make an opinion based on this?

Bryn Renner to me is the quarterback sleeper (in this week’s draft),’’ said Polian, a six-time NFL executive of the year.

Polian said he didn’t have details about how the right-handed Renner has recovered after hurting his left shoulder last season, but he really liked what he saw from him before the injury.

I think Polian meant cause he knew he was at Combine and passed physical and threw  well at ProDay (Jets were strongly eyeing him) but hasnt seen him in a game since injury, thru no fault of Renners. Bottom line, Polian knows his stuff and Scout Joe Bommarito agrees above a good development pick for Jets late.

I think if the Jets are taking a developmental project at QB, that they'd want one with a similar skill set to Geno and Vick - in that he'd be good on his feet and a threat to run at any time. Marty's offense is obviously going to be predicated on that. Geno played much better down the stretch when he also added about 200 yards rushing over the last four games.

I'll root for whoever they take to take Matt Simms' roster spot, but I think a guy like Tajh Boyd might be a better fit.

I think if the Jets are taking a developmental project at QB, that they'd want one with a similar skill set to Geno and Vick - in that he'd be good on his feet and a threat to run at any time. Marty's offense is obviously going to be predicated on that. Geno played much better down the stretch when he also added about 200 yards rushing over the last four games.

I'll root for whoever they take to take Matt Simms' roster spot, but I think a guy like Tajh Boyd might be a better fit.

agree, not sure where Boyd going, ,BUT to be honest, in a 3rd string 'scout QB' I want a SMART guy to be able to absorb opposing teams playbook in 1-2 days and give our Defense a great opponent during prep week.  Thats why I like Bryn Slats, coaches kid, smart as hell and can run both proSet (what he did for Butch at UNC) and a Spread (what he did for Fedora at UNC).

Alot of folks are high on Jeff Mathews from Cornell, they see he looks

a lot like Brady, but nobody's close to perfect, anyway he's a pro style

qb some team might try to develop.

So he wears red pants and has a gay blond mohawk?

The 6-3, 228-pound Renner said he worked with former NFL and college coach Ted Tollner to prepare for the draft. He also worked out for the New England Patriots, the Miami Dolphins and Carolina Panthers in recent weeks, though he has no expectation of being drafted and is content to pursue a career as an undrafted free agent.

Former NFL executive Bill Polian is high on Renner's size, arm and poise. "He to me is a guy I would tag on my draft board assuming that he's (recovered) and say, 'This is a guy we need to keep track of here and at the right time, let's pull the trigger on him,'" said Polian, an ESPN NFL analyst. "

Archived