Meathead tread. All things lifting. *warning broscience*

Arsis

Feeling a lot better today... a lot... don't feel right now like eating a box of krispy kremes like I did at this time yesterday...still hungry and a little off upstairs but, def better. Oh and she's making fajitas tonight...this shouldn't be too painful

yea that ketosis really curbs your appetite....Im basically eating two LARGE meals a day with small snacks in between when needed.  Dont really have appetite to eat more.  But its funny, on carb up days, I stay constantly hungry all day and cant stop eating...eventually i end up on the couch at night in some sort of diabetic coma from the friggen insulin shock from all those carbs.  

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'm always lifting. I don't take more than a week or so off at any given time unless I'm injured or something. I'm kind of a bro about it lol.

I see what you're saying though; I don't remember offhand how many carbs I was taking in during a typical day (it wasn't super low or anything), but I'd imagine I could stand to up it on training days. There's probably a magic number for me somewhere that would fill me out a little better without kicking me out of ketosis. I'd just have to experiment with it and see what happens. And pee on a lot of sticks. That part's always fun.

do you take amino acid supplements? Arginine?....that sht keeps you pumped. I havent taken them in years but i recall the "pumped" feeling it would always give my muscles.  The only supplement i take today is BCAA's however.

are you or were you doing ketosis 7 days a week or were you carbing up on one or two days? If your hitting the weights all week, like do i, i would suggest having at least a day n half of carbs preferably around your tougher workout days i.e, squats or deadlifts.  

do you take amino acid supplements? Arginine?....that sht keeps you pumped. I havent taken them in years but i recall the "pumped" feeling it would always give my muscles.  The only supplement i take today is BCAA's however.

are you or were you doing ketosis 7 days a week or were you carbing up on one or two days? If your hitting the weights all week, like do i, i would suggest having at least a day n half of carbs preferably around your tougher workout days i.e, squats or deadlifts.  

I don't remember exactly what I was on when I was doing ketosis...it's been a while. Probably some sort of BCAA mixture and God knows what else. I know I've taken Arginine before; I can't recall specifically how I reacted to it though. A lot of supplements mess with my stomach anymore; I've been trying to figure out a good stack to use that won't give me too much difficulty and have trimmed way back on what I'm taking.

And yeah when I was doing it I didn't have any carb-up days. I'll have to tinker with it again at some point and see if I can get better results by having a refeed day in there each week.

I don't remember exactly what I was on when I was doing ketosis...it's been a while. Probably some sort of BCAA mixture and God knows what else. I know I've taken Arginine before; I can't recall specifically how I reacted to it though. A lot of supplements mess with my stomach anymore; I've been trying to figure out a good stack to use that won't give me too much difficulty and have trimmed way back on what I'm taking.

And yeah when I was doing it I didn't have any carb-up days. I'll have to tinker with it again at some point and see if I can get better results by having a refeed day in there each week.

I dont take anything besides BCAAs anymore.....Im convinced after working with these supplement companies in my career today, that all that sht is just a scam.  

One carb up day week will make all the difference in the world to your pump and to your sanity lol.  And will prevent your body from plateauing on a ketogenic diet 

yea that ketosis really curbs your appetite....Im basically eating two LARGE meals a day with small snacks in between when needed. Dont really have appetite to eat more. But its funny, on carb up days, I stay constantly hungry all day and cant stop eating...eventually i end up on the couch at night in some sort of diabetic coma from the friggen insulin shock from all those carbs.

I think I'm doing pretty good so far. What is tough so far is dinner. Now that I'm at my in-laws for the weekend they want to feed me, starting with shrimp scampi as soon as I got here.. Which was effin delicious... I ate a dozen of the fried shrimp in butter, oil and cheese.. Lightly breaded but i did my best to get most of the breading off. My day ended 2450 cal, 78/18/4 fat/protein/carb... But the carb number in grams was like 18. Meh

I'm finding in really helpful to try and anticipate meals and do my calorie counter ahead of time so I can try and stay on track

Mentally I felt between a little slow, physically a little tired, only a little hungry and I'm pretty sure I'm getting the ketone mouth. I haven't had good nights sleep since i started though so today will be a good test. Oh BTW... My lower back soreness is down like 80%.. Fantastic surprise... Nothing else in my life changed the last few days except carbs... I wonder if they are an inflammatory

I think I'm doing pretty good so far. What is tough so far is dinner. Now that I'm at my in-laws for the weekend they want to feed me, starting with shrimp scampi as soon as I got here.. Which was effin delicious... I ate a dozen of the fried shrimp in butter, oil and cheese.. Lightly breaded but i did my best to get most of the breading off. My day ended 2450 cal, 78/18/4 fat/protein/carb... But the carb number in grams was like 18. Meh

I'm finding in really helpful to try and anticipate meals and do my calorie counter ahead of time so I can try and stay on track

Mentally I felt between a little slow, physically a little tired, only a little hungry and I'm pretty sure I'm getting the ketone mouth. I haven't had good nights sleep since i started though so today will be a good test. Oh BTW... My lower back soreness is down like 80%.. Fantastic surprise... Nothing else in my life changed the last few days except carbs... I wonder if they are an inflammatory

Anticipation is a great way to handle up coming meals.....carbs surprise u everywhere so its good to have your plan in place. And 18 carbs is pretty damn good.  Did you get the ketostix yet? You should start checking if your in ketosis after you have 2 good days under your belt.

And as far as your back goes, yes....carbs cause a major inflammatory response in your body....i think i may have even mentioned that in a previous post.  Many people claim how good their body feels and how many aches go away after they cut carbs.......expect your back to only get better from here 

Also to note, I get shin splints verrry bad when I run, the only time I wont get them is if I am practicing a ketogenic diet at the time.  Keto is money!

Anticipation is a great way to handle up coming meals.....carbs surprise u everywhere so its good to have your plan in place. And 18 carbs is pretty damn good. Did you get the ketostix yet? You should start checking if your in ketosis after you have 2 good days under your belt.

And as far as your back goes, yes....carbs cause a major inflammatory response in your body....i think i may have even mentioned that in a previous post. Many people claim how good their body feels and how many aches go away after they cut carbs.......expect your back to only get better from here

Also to note, I get shin splints verrry bad when I run, the only time I wont get them is if I am practicing a ketogenic diet at the time. Keto is money!

I think you may have mentioned the inflammatory properties too... Yesterday I was pretty busy moving crap around the house, setting up the deck for the summer, it took about 4-5 hours.. The lifting I kinda felt weak at first and then it went away like something kicked in. It was kind of back and forth like that especially when lifting things. Had a pork salad bowl with guac, extra cheese, and sour cream for lunch.. Love the options. All my favorite stuff. Have to get keto stix. Haven't had a minute yet. Happy mdw!

I think you may have mentioned the inflammatory properties too... Yesterday I was pretty busy moving crap around the house, setting up the deck for the summer, it took about 4-5 hours.. The lifting I kinda felt weak at first and then it went away like something kicked in. It was kind of back and forth like that especially when lifting things. Had a pork salad bowl with guac, extra cheese, and sour cream for lunch.. Love the options. All my favorite stuff. Have to get keto stix. Haven't had a minute yet. Happy mdw!

Get the ketostix from Walmart, they're like ~6 bucks.....otherwise your gonna pay 15+ elsewhere

Happy MDW!

your body wants no business w carbs....sheds fat the moment they're gone. 6 lbs is awesome.

Yeah, it's not because they're calorie dense or anything like that. Pesky fruit and vegetables being bad for you. There is something to carb manipulation/restrictions but don't ovetstate things or pretend that all carbs are inherently bad.

Lizzie lost 6 pounds of water weight. It's not actually good/ healthy to lose 6lbs of actual body mass in a week.

Yeah, it's not because they're calorie dense or anything like that. Pesky fruit and vegetables being bad for you. There is something to carb manipulation/restrictions but don't ovetstate things or pretend that all carbs are inherently bad.

Lizzie lost 6 pounds of water weight. It's not actually good/ healthy to lose 6lbs of actual body mass in a week.

Water weight was 4. I've been chipping away about .3-.5 lb a day now on 30 min of walking and a 2050 cal, 75/21/4 ratio. Would workout more but I've been cramming for an insurance exam.

BTW I've stopped counting cal from lettuce/spinach/foliage. Natural fibers are necessary and undigestable and I try to have them at lunch and dinner.

Water weight was 4. I've been chipping away about .3-.5 lb a day now on 30 min of walking and a 2050 cal, 75/21/4 ratio. Would workout more but I've been cramming for an insurance exam.

BTW I've stopped counting cal from lettuce/spinach/foliage. Natural fibers are necessary and undigestable and I try to have them at lunch and dinner.

I guarantee you that you're overestimating your weight loss. People will fluctuate a few lbs a day naturally. Unless you're morbidly obese you're not losing that much weight consistently. Just, don't get ahead of yourself. There are no shortcuts or panaceas in thid world. It's great you're eating vegetables.

I guarantee you that you're overestimating your weight loss. People will fluctuate a few lbs a day naturally. Unless you're morbidly obese you're not losing that much weight consistently. Just, don't get ahead of yourself. There are no shortcuts or panaceas in thid world. It's great you're eating vegetables.

I agree, not my first time following a set diet, but it is my first time doing it without exercise, so just seeing what my body and matabolism is capable of, and may reduce calories another couple hundred. According to a calculator, my BMR is 3100 Cal so I am running at a 33% deficit.

I wasnt aware that i was pretending that all carbs are bad for you lol.  Eat as much vegetables as one wants. Eating fruit is nothing but sugar....there is no pretending there. Yeah it has more nutrients than a pack of skittles, but when all is said n done with digestion, your body reacted the same way as if you just consumed table sugar. Some fruits are less sweet than others and are ok to eat when restricting carbs i.e raspberries, blackberries.  

Losing 6lbs in your first week of dieting is completely normal...especially for someone who cut carbs.  And it also comes down to how overweight the person is too.  The bigger you are, the more you will drop in your first couple weeks.  After that, then yeah, you should average 2lbs a week loss.

Lizzie mad no mention of starving himself so therefore I dont think he was doing himself any harm.  So what if a couple pounds out of the 6 were water weight....its still a positive response from his body.  

Hope that wasn't overstating.

I wasnt aware that i was pretending that all carbs are bad for you lol. Eat as much vegetables as one wants. Eating fruit is nothing but sugar....there is no pretending there. Yeah it has more nutrients than a pack of skittles, but when all is said n done with digestion, your body reacted the same way as if you just consumed table sugar. Some fruits are less sweet than others and are ok to eat when restricting carbs i.e raspberries, blackberries.

Losing 6lbs in your first week of dieting is completely normal...especially for someone who cut carbs. And it also comes down to how overweight the person is too. The bigger you are, the more you will drop in your first couple weeks. After that, then yeah, you should average 2lbs a week loss.

Lizzie mad no mention of starving himself so therefore I dont think he was doing himself any harm. So what if a couple pounds out of the 6 were water weight....its still a positive response from his body.

Hope that wasn't overstating.

Honestly, you come off like a used car salesman spouting half bullsh*t. I'm going to put you on ignore. You're that guy. You never want to be that guy.

Hey now. I found the info on ketosis very useful. It's a diet that's working for me on my current schedule. I've gone the route you're currently on as well, high protein, moderate carbs... Used to have a power rack in my dining room and do squats, bench and dead lifts right outside the kitchen lol and make protein shakes with egg white base. I just don't have that time now.

Honestly, you come off like a used car salesman spouting half bullsh*t. I'm going to put you on ignore. You're that guy. You never want to be that guy.

A used car salesman spouting half bullsh*t? yeaaaaaaah thats a good one....you probably look like a used car salesman dude lets be real.

And I'm not here to sell anything, I gave my input on a ketogenic diet based off years experience and success with myself and when I was a trainer in my younger days.... L.K had some questions and I answered them. You got a problem with that...than go fck yourself.  Plus if I recall, your the one who started this thread claiming to be this so called powerlifter/strongman looking for advice on how to lean up bc you dont know sht....... And clearly, you dont know sht 

I'm not posting in this monstrosity of a thread anymore. There are no shortcuts and there are no panaceas in this world. I'm currently on a no carb diet and they're useful in the short term but not something you want to do long term. Vegetables have carbs and they're good for you. Fruits have carbs and are good for you. Don't listen to snake oil salesman selling a one size fits all bullsh*t plan online with even knowing if you have a health problems. There is a reason the Atkins diet isn't popular anymore.

Plus, you can't build muscle without carbs so you'll lose all this weight and look like a woman.

I'm not posting in this monstrosity of a thread anymore. There are no shortcuts and there are no panaceas in this world. I'm currently on a no carb diet and they're useful in the short term but not something you want to do long term. Vegetables have carbs and they're good for you. Fruits have carbs and are good for you. Don't listen to snake oil salesman selling a one size fits all bullsh*t plan online with even knowing if you have a health problems. There is a reason the Atkins diet isn't popular anymore.

Plus, you can't build muscle without carbs so you'll lose all this weight and look like a woman.

I'm down 8.6lb since last Weds. I'm out of the water weight window and into the burning fat window. He's right about fruit. You can get your vitamins from other sources besides high glycemic fruit. If you're eating high glycemic fruit and on a cut then I hope your fruit is being consumed immediately pre or post workout, otherwise you'll spike insulin on a relatively calm part of your day which will inhibit your cutting efforts.

I am eating veggies as stated earlier. When you're trying to lose weight you have two options, either decrease your intake or increase your output while keeping your intake level. Same concept as balancing a budget or anything else. Pushups plus reduced calorie diet = tone. Not rocket science

Also my man don't discount good old genetics. You're either a ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph. There is no getting around that.

I'm down 8.6lb since last Weds. I'm out of the water weight window and into the burning fat window. He's right about fruit. You can get your vitamins from other sources besides high glycemic fruit. If you're eating high glycemic fruit and on a cut then I hope your fruit is being consumed immediately pre or post workout, otherwise you'll spike insulin on a relatively calm part of your day which will inhibit your cutting efforts.

I am eating veggies as stated earlier. When you're trying to lose weight you have two options, either decrease your intake or increase your output while keeping your intake level. Same concept as balancing a budget or anything else. Pushups plus reduced calorie diet = tone. Not rocket science

Also my man don't discount good old genetics. You're either a ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph. There is no getting around that.

Bro, that morph stuff is bullsh*t. Stop with the nonsense.

I agree, not my first time following a set diet, but it is my first time doing it without exercise, so just seeing what my body and matabolism is capable of, and may reduce calories another couple hundred. According to a calculator, my BMR is 3100 Cal so I am running at a 33% deficit.

I don't think I get it.  You've wildly cut your calories.  Of course you are losing weight.  What does ketosis have to do with it?  Is it just a way to cut calories?  I had your daily intake at a BBQ last night. Burger, dog, wings, ribs, assorted salads.  The usual. 

A guy in harvard 70 years atheory es naked pictures of people and uses it to develop a psychological theory about criminal behavior and somehow it's ******* genetic scientific fact now?

******* somatypes?

I don't think I get it.  You've wildly cut your calories.  Of course you are losing weight.  What does ketosis have to do with it?  Is it just a way to cut calories?  I had your daily intake at a BBQ last night. Burger, dog, wings, ribs, assorted salads.  The usual. 

It can be. Bodybuilders also bulk on ketosis. I am cutting and I'll speak to that. There are three main reasons that you go on ketosis: the first is that you reduce your Caloric intake in a way that allows you to preserve muscle. Secondly you reprogram your metabolism to search out your fat stores for energy. Third, a body in ketosis doesn't feel the swings of hunger pangs that a body cutting with a diet of carbohydrates do.

Everyone has a basal metobolic rate (BMR) to maintain their physique. My BMR is 3100 Calories a day. In ketosis, when you cut out a portion of that intake, and supplement your diet with the right ratio of high fat, medium protein and little to no carbs, you supplement some of your energy needs with fat, maintain your muscle with the right amount of protein, and then your body looks to your stored fat for the rest to maintain your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Ketosis allows you to remove a certain amount of Calories from your diet while maintaining muscle and putting your body in a state that reduces the hunger you feel from other diets.

It's the spikes and drops of blood sugar that cause the hunger pangs that one feels not just on a diet, but in regular life. When the body is powered by enough fat that it uses the available protein for muscle conservation, there are not the dramatic blood sugar spikes at any point of the day, and the body goes into the ketogenic state- and the ketones floating around in the blood from the metabolized fat are a hunger suppressant.  You use high fat because protein is a poor source of energy- it converts at about 58% efficiency to carbs, so you'd need to eat 500g a day of protein to get 2,000 Calories, which would then metabolize into 290 grams of carbs for energy, and 210 grams of amino acids for your muscles. 

So far this is the best I've felt in a long time. Granted it's only been a week and a couple days, but I'm sharper mentally, feel great physically, haven't been very hungry between meals and sleeping better than normal. 

As for your meal yesterday, you ate a lot of food, and it probably will get stored as fat unless you burn it off, either through a high BMR or through exercise. I'm going to a BBQ tonight myself.

Bro, that morph stuff is bullsh*t. Stop with the nonsense.

OK, well as was pointed out, you started this thread looking for help with your cutting diet. How about keeping a daily log and publishing us your diet, training program and measured results?

It can be. Bodybuilders also bulk on ketosis. I am cutting and I'll speak to that. There are three main reasons that you go on ketosis: the first is that you reduce your Caloric intake in a way that allows you to preserve muscle. Secondly you reprogram your metabolism to search out your fat stores for energy. Third, a body in ketosis doesn't feel the swings of hunger pangs that a body cutting with a diet of carbohydrates do.

Everyone has a basal metobolic rate (BMR) to maintain their physique. My BMR is 3100 Calories a day. In ketosis, when you cut out a portion of that intake, and supplement your diet with the right ratio of high fat, medium protein and little to no carbs, you supplement some of your energy needs with fat, maintain your muscle with the right amount of protein, and then your body looks to your stored fat for the rest to maintain your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Ketosis allows you to remove a certain amount of Calories from your diet while maintaining muscle and putting your body in a state that reduces the hunger you feel from other diets.

It's the spikes and drops of blood sugar that cause the hunger pangs that one feels not just on a diet, but in regular life. When the body is powered by enough fat that it uses the available protein for muscle conservation, there are not the dramatic blood sugar spikes at any point of the day, and the body goes into the ketogenic state- and the ketones floating around in the blood from the metabolized fat are a hunger suppressant.  You use high fat because protein is a poor source of energy- it converts at about 58% efficiency to carbs, so you'd need to eat 500g a day of protein to get 2,000 Calories, which would then metabolize into 290 grams of carbs for energy, and 210 grams of amino acids for your muscles. 

So far this is the best I've felt in a long time. Granted it's only been a week and a couple days, but I'm sharper mentally, feel great physically, haven't been very hungry between meals and sleeping better than normal. 

As for your meal yesterday, you ate a lot of food, and it probably will get stored as fat unless you burn it off, either through a high BMR or through exercise. I'm going to a BBQ tonight myself.

I weigh 190, but I eat like that all the time. I hurt my back, so my body fat has gone up a bit and I am about 5 lbs over my norm.  I like to be in the 18-20% range, but I am over that now.  

I weigh 190, but I eat like that all the time. I hurt my back, so my body fat has gone up a bit and I am about 5 lbs over my norm.  I like to be in the 18-20% range, but I am over that now.  

Speaking of back, my back has not felt this good in a longgggg time. Granted by losing weight in the mid-section I'm taking pressure off my lumbar, but it's more than that. From pretty much day 1, the pain's gone down a tone. Pretty confident that carbs are an inflammatory, and Stugotz said that earlier as well. On a prior 1-10 scale, my morning was around a 7.5 in pain, now it's probably 2.

OK, well as was pointed out, you started this thread looking for help with your cutting diet. How about keeping a daily log and publishing us your diet, training program and measured results?

Aight, no problem. I'm on the cube method by Brandon lily. I weight 215lbs about 11% body fat. Or are you just angling to see me with my shirt off?

Yo after this statement right there you get absolutely no more credit whatsoever for having any type of bodybuilding sense or knowledge. 

Fat: gives cells shape and structure

Protein: The building blocks of muscle

Carbs: Do nothing structurally and ultimately get converted in glucose.  Extra glucose not used by the body gets stored as body fat.  

Do some research and educate yourself a little because you sound like a complete idiot.  

Aight, no problem. I'm on the cube method by Brandon lily. I weight 215lbs about 11% body fat. Or are you just angling to see me with my shirt off?

Wow, at the beginning of this thread you were at 13% body fat. Already down 2% body fat in a week?  yeah...i bet  

Speaking of back, my back has not felt this good in a longgggg time. Granted by losing weight in the mid-section I'm taking pressure off my lumbar, but it's more than that. From pretty much day 1, the pain's gone down a tone. Pretty confident that carbs are an inflammatory, and Stugotz said that earlier as well. On a prior 1-10 scale, my morning was around a 7.5 in pain, now it's probably 2.

I had the same success with shin splints....when Im off carbs they barely flare up....when I am eating carbs the pain can be unbearable. 

Archived