Why can't my QB be this cool?

T0mShane

As dumb as saying every offensive player they brought in post-Mangini coincidentally sucked because fate.

Let's not kid ourselves, they sucked with Mangini, too. Probably worse outside of the couple months with a capable QB. Luckily, that GM was fired. And that coach. And the OC, too.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not kid ourselves, they sucked with Mangini, too. Probably worse outside of the couple months with a capable QB. Luckily, that GM was fired. And that coach. And the OC, too.

What's even crazier is that Mangold, Brick, and Revis are still better players than any of the ones brought in after them, before "swagger" became a prerequisite.

What's even crazier is that Mangold, Brick, and Revis are still better players than any of the ones brought in after them, before "swagger" became a prerequisite.

Wilkerson and Richardson respectfully disagree. Milliner might have something to say about it, too.

Wilkerson and Richardson respectfully disagree. Milliner might have something to say about it, too.

2 very good DL guys and a corner who had 2 solid games and a mess of crappy ones vs. 3 guys who have been regular Pro Bowlers.

The details are important, but they don't help you. The Big Picture is this offense under Wrecks gets scraps, hand me downs, afetrthought late picks and free agents. The constant Seattle comparison ignores that the S'hawks have a real QB and are in the top third of scoring offense under a defense first HC.

This offense and team will continue to suck under RYan. We are on the cusp of wasting ANOTHER season because our idiot owner thinks it cool hanging with the fake ass tough guy head coach who in reality is scared to death of throwing a pass.

Mangold and Brick sucked last year.

They had a tough year. But was that because the defenses they faced weren't scared to face the immortal skills of Geno Smith, or because they declined, or somewhat a result of both?

They had a tough year. But was that because the defenses they faced weren't scared to face the immortal skills of Geno Smith, or because they declined, or somewhat a result of both?

Your team's QB, RBs, and WRs have absolutely no bearing on whether or not you can block the guy lined up in front of you. Coverage sacks do occur, but more often than not, linemen miss blocks because they either blow an assignment or just flat out get beat.

Last season, Brick and Mangold looked like sh*t because they played like sh*t.

2 very good DL guys and a corner who had 2 solid games and a mess of crappy ones vs. 3 guys who have been regular Pro Bowlers.The details are important, but they don't help you. The Big Picture is this offense under Wrecks gets scraps, hand me downs, afetrthought late picks and free agents. The constant Seattle comparison ignores that the S'hawks have a real QB and are in the top third of scoring offense under a defense first HC.This offense and team will continue to suck under RYan. We are on the cusp of wasting ANOTHER season because our idiot owner thinks it cool hanging with the fake ass tough guy head coach who in reality is scared to death of throwing a pass.

Rex likes to keep his defense on the field. Its more fun n stuff for him to run up and down the sideline yelling "booom!" After a big hit

Lol, nice try. What actually happened is that I obliterated your attempt to make a point. You talk about first round picks as if they're the only resource the team has to spend. It's not. Yes, more first rounders (obviously) have been spent on defense, but the vast majority of total draft picks have been used on offense: 24 offense, and 15 defense since Rex was named coach. And that's not taking into accountpicks traded away. A couple for Sanchez, a couple more for Greene, a couple more for Braylon, another each for Holmes, Tebow, Ivory, Hill, and one they still owed for Favre. If I was bothered to add it all up, it would probably work out to about 2-1 in favor of the offense - if not more.

And then more free agent dollars are spent on offense. Since Bart Scott, there hasn't been much FA money spent on defense. This year alone, the team added Vick, Decker, Giacomini, and Johnson - all of whom are top ten on the Jets' payroll this year. Money is a resource, right? Four out of the top five paid Jets play on offense. Denying that the majority of resources get spent on that side of the ball since Rex got here is ridiculous.

Offensive first rounders generally go for three primary positions: QB, WR, and LT. They took the QB in Rex's first year, then extended him for big dollars. Not sure when they were going to take another one of those. Maybe last year if the class didn't suck. They have the LT in place. That leaves WR, which they traded multiple picks for between Holmes and Edwards, and then they paid Holmes. They bought Plaxico right out of prison. They probably wanted Austin last year, but he was gone before they picked. They might've liked one this year, but opted for the best safety rather than the fourth best WR (then found a similar player in the fourth). Kyle Wilson was probably the worst defensive first rounder they selected, at #29 overall, and he's at least a role player. It's not like they missed on an offensive great there, either.

Bottom line, this resources argument is flat out wrong, and the first rounder complaints take place in a vacuum.

The offense gets scraps. Low draft picks and guys with issues elsewhere that thr jets apparently think rex can rehabilitate. He has shown zero ability to do this on offense, except for one decent season out of braylon. Rex even failed with "his guy" derrik mason. The jets lockeroom is a caste system because it resembles its HC. Every year reports of discord between offense and defense come out of the locker room. Who do you blame this on? They are simoly amplifying the attitude of the coach: the jets are a defensive team. "Play like a jet" means different things fot the offense and defense: big hits and splash plays for the D so rex can run around the sidelines ass slapping and high fiving. Avoiding turnovers and not putting the defense in a whole for the offense. Rex is to blame for the teo tiered caste system and total distrust between offense and defense. Everyone else has been fired or cut. He is the common denominator.

The offense gets scraps. Low draft picks and guys with issues elsewhere that thr jets apparently think rex can rehabilitate. He has shown zero ability to do this on offense, except for one decent season out of braylon. Rex even failed with "his guy" derrik mason. The jets lockeroom is a caste system because it resembles its HC. Every year reports of discord between offense and defense come out of the locker room. Who do you blame this on? They are simoly amplifying the attitude of the coach: the jets are a defensive team. "Play like a jet" means different things fot the offense and defense: big hits and splash plays for the D so rex can run around the sidelines ass slapping and high fiving. Avoiding turnovers and not putting the defense in a whole for the offense. Rex is to blame for the teo tiered caste system and total distrust between offense and defense. Everyone else has been fired or cut. He is the common denominator.

hahahahahahahahaha

just to prove a point, why don't you list the top 15 players on offense, and let us know the rd they were drafted by the jets or the dollar figure on the most recent contract they signed with the jets

hahahahahahahahaha

just to prove a point, why don't you list the top 15 players on offense, and let us know the rd they were drafted by the jets or the dollar figure on the most recent contract they signed with the jets

Sorry too old to do your homework assignment. You do the work and then i will poop on it. Deal?

That's the thing, though. Rex is almost irrelevant. This season comes down to Marty Mornhinweg's ability to fix Geno. The only way Rex factors in is if he falls in love with Vick.

Rex fell in love with Vick after the Eagles, led by Vick, demolished the Jets 45-19....15 for 22  247 yards.  You could hear Rex muttering on the sidelines  'Damn I wish that guy played for us'

Are you forgetting Rex took this team to back to back conference championship games. If Sanchez had met half the expectations, things would have been quite different.  All this cant be blamed on Rex.  Sure, he is a defense minded coach first and foremost.   But Rex has accomplished great things with this team.  There are numerous defense first minded coaches in the NFL.  The Pats led by Belicheck, who is a defensive genius, were transformed because of Brady. Where would they be without him?   Pete Carroll, Bill Cowher, Billick, Gruden, Lovie Smith, Parcells,  Coughlin, Fox ..these are ALL defense first coaches, some of which were just lucky enough to have a top flight QB at their disposal.  The only thing Rex lacks is a franchise QB and a rushing OLB like Von Miller.  If he had both, the Jets would have won 2-3 super bowls already under his regime.   Sanchez and Gholston, both top 1st round picks that were total busts,  set this team back years.     

Are you forgetting Rex took this team to back to back conference championship games. If Sanchez had met half the expectations, things would have been quite different.  All this cant be blamed on Rex.  Sure, he is a defense minded coach first and foremost.   But Rex has accomplished great things with this team.  There are numerous defense first minded coaches in the NFL.  The Pats led by Belicheck, who is a defensive genius, were transformed because of Brady. Where would they be without him?   Pete Carroll, Bill Cowher, Billick, Gruden, Lovie Smith, Parcells,  Coughlin, Fox ..these are ALL defense first coaches, some of which were just lucky enough to have a top flight QB at their disposal.  The only thing Rex lacks is a franchise QB and a rushing OLB like Von Miller.  If he had both, the Jets would have won 2-3 super bowls already under his regime.   Sanchez and Gholston, both top 1st round picks that were total busts,  set this team back years.     

where would he be without brady? oh about 11-5 and in the playoffs, just guessin.

matt_cassel.jpg

where would he be without brady? oh about 11-5 and in the playoffs, just guessin.

matt_cassel.jpg

Wrong again.. they missed the playoffs, record was padded by a ridiculously easy schedule

Wrong again.. they missed the playoffs, record was padded by a ridiculously easy schedule

exactly. they were unlucky to miss playoffs. 99% of time 11-5 gets them in. so without brady, they will go 11-5 and get in.

exactly. they were unlucky to miss playoffs. 99% of time 11-5 gets them in. so without brady, they will go 11-5 and get in.

No.. it means the team that beat them also had an insanely easy schedule that padded thier wins. Take the 2007 Pats schedule with the 2008 Pats team and they probably win 7 games

No.. it means the team that beat them also had an insanely easy schedule that padded thier wins. Take the 2007 Pats schedule with the 2008 Pats team and they probably win 7 games

kind of like taking the 2013 jets and giving them the 2014 schedule. 4 wins. which is why i see 6 wins this year as actually showing improvement.

manziel-x-games.jpg

I wasn't born around this time so anyone who was around this time please answer. 

Could Johnny Manziel be this generations Joe Namath? I ask because Namath seemed to be a very captivating, polarizing figure even to this day and Manziel seems to have that going for him since College. I dont get the same "cult feel" like what was happening with Tim Tebow, which was just ridiculous by the way (Jesus jersey's????). 

Can any of the Jetnation OG's from that era comment? 

I wasn't born around this time so anyone who was around this time please answer. 

Could Johnny Manziel be this generations Joe Namath? I ask because Namath seemed to be a very captivating, polarizing figure even to this day and Manziel seems to have that going for him since College. I dont get the same "cult feel" like what was happening with Tim Tebow, which was just ridiculous by the way (Jesus jersey's????). 

it is a good question. was namath viewed as a primadonna, party boy, thug turd by fans of others teams? but because we grew up jets fans all we heard was the SBIII legend side of it?

In the 60s/70s an elite pro athlete could get by on his natural abilities. There was no offseason program. In fact, a lot of players had other jobs in the offseason to supplement their income back then. The conditioning wasn't the same. A great player (like Namath) could play on Sunday with a hangover and still get good results. That doesn't happen in today's league.

For Manziel, it's gonna come down to how well he plays. He's got an uphill battle, IMHO. Cleveland is where QBs go to die, and it's gonna be particularly tough there if Josh Gordon is forced to take the year off. Of course, it might be tough for him if he got to hang out with Josh Gordon, too.

it is a good question. was namath viewed as a primadonna, party boy, thug turd by fans of others teams? but because we grew up jets fans all we heard was the SBIII legend side of it?

I was watching NFL network yesterday about the history of the AFL and they had a pretty in depth piece on Namath and his impact on the game as well as culture. This guy was HUGE back in the day. He was on Richard Nixon's "enemy list", which assuming would be today's domestic terrorist list....seriously lol. His long hair was contrary to the hair style in the NFL. He came off as a lady's man and the media constantly seen him go to his living space with different women daily. He was a part owner of a bar/nightclub that had alleged mafia ties. With all this going on what made it even more of a spectacle was that he became arguably the best QB from either league and became the face of the AFL after "The Guarantee". 

Not saying that Manziel will end up being the best in the NFL, but if he just becomes a top 10 QB....things could get real! 

In the 60s/70s an elite pro athlete could get by on his natural abilities. There was no offseason program. In fact, a lot of players had other jobs in the offseason to supplement their income back then. The conditioning wasn't the same. A great player (like Namath) could play on Sunday with a hangover and still get good results. That doesn't happen in today's league.

For Manziel, it's gonna come down to how well he plays. He's got an uphill battle, IMHO. Cleveland is where QBs go to die, and it's gonna be particularly tough there if Josh Gordon is forced to take the year off. Of course, it might be tough for him if he got to hang out with Josh Gordon, too.

Great points. This was certainly the era where many sports players played with hangovers (Micky Mantel) or pitching shutouts high on LSD (Dock Ellis). 

As for the "QB's go to die" comment. I really think the Browns picked the wrong QB. I think Teddy Bridgewater would have turned things around and in 5 years Bridgewater will be a household name for the Browns. I've seen everyone's excitement for Manziel from college but I just dont see those antics and luck plays happening on the NFL level.

I hated that Anthony Barr pick but I feel the Vikes made up for it by picking the best QB of the last 2 drafts in the bottom of the 1st round. For the record I think the Jets picked the 2nd best QB of the past 2 drafts in Geno Smith.  

Let's see Manziel be cool enough to eat a hot dog on the sidelines, then we'll talk.

lol The Sanchize definitely had his moments. I remember when Schotty let Sanchez do the play calling in a preseason game and Sanchez had Brunell march down the field for a TD and Sanchez was like "Damn, this is easy. You suck Schotty"! Classic. 

Facts are stubborn things. The Jets' offense went from 28th to 29th in PPG.So for all the Morningweg/Smith love, they got worse. Smith was arguably the worst starting QB in the NFL not named Josh Freeman. But, hey, dream on.

A safety.

Didn't Geno have a game where his starting WR's weren't on an NFL Roster at the beginning of the year?  

Archived