Vick: Geno will be 10 times better than last year

Sperm Edwards

Well if he's that bad then there isn't much point in wasting a roster spot on him. 7 WRs - absurd as that is - would be better use in this one offseason because of the sheer number of maybes we have there this summer.

The only possible purpose is if anyone really thinks there's a high probability of 2 QBs getting knocked out (happened to us with Pennington & Fiedler in '05). Even then, that one game would be the least of the team's concerns for the balance of that season. 

We'll see. This time last summer it was Simms who looked this hopeless. I vaguely remember from the JN camp reports (Shane & 39?) that Simms wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn & wasn't any sure thing to beat out McElroy. Lucky for him, McElroy got injured and then so did Sanchez.

But yeah, if Boyd is THAT bad then stash him on the PS (or not even that). If someone else scoops him up then someone else scoops him up. If we hang onto him until the last cutdown day, and particularly if he's still this bad, then it's doubtful someone else would grab him instead of the #3 they worked with and kept around all summer long. Then again, there's also a possibility that some other team tries to stash a QB on their own PS, for us to snag.

At the same time, IF Simms has improved enough - this is his 3rd summer here in a row and he was on the roster as the #2 all season long last year - to be potentially useful enough to mop up a game and not lose, then we could keep him around as the #3 as well.

The carrying 2 QB thing is a strange concept but possibly because I don't think I've ever seen it.  After thinking about it the other day, I came to the exact conclusion you just mentioned.  If you're down to your #3 QB, your season is likely over anyway.  Put a QB on the PS as your #3 and go from there.  The only thing that does worry me about that is Vick's injury history so it would be risky.  Real log-jam at OG, RB, and WR this year, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Maybe some of these guys we've been hearing about  for a couple months look terrible when the game starts and the log jam clears itself up.  As hopeful and optomistic as I am about a player like Ras-I Dowling, I haven't heard his name mentined since camp started aside from a foot injury.  So a guy who sounded like a sleeper who was going to steal a roster spot, is now an invisible man. 

The carrying 2 QB thing is a strange concept but possibly because I don't think I've ever seen it.  After thinking about it the other day, I came to the exact conclusion you just mentioned.  If you're down to your #3 QB, your season is likely over anyway.  Put a QB on the PS as your #3 and go from there.  The only thing that does worry me about that is Vick's injury history so it would be risky.  Real log-jam at OG, RB, and WR this year, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Maybe some of these guys we've been hearing about  for a couple months look terrible when the game starts and the log jam clears itself up.  As hopeful and optomistic as I am about a player like Ras-I Dowling, I haven't heard his name mentined since camp started aside from a foot injury.  So a guy who sounded like a sleeper who was going to steal a roster spot, is now an invisible man. 

I think these days the 2 QB thing is a lot more of a feasible option than it has ever been in the past, given that there is no longer that emergency QB kind-of-active-but-not-really game day spot.  And nobody bothers actually activating 3 QBs on game day, so for a single game, it doesn't really make any sort of difference.  If injuries do strike, that's when you can look at bringing your #3 QB up from the practice squad.  The downside with that of course is that you could obviously lose that QB at any moment if another team opts to grab him off your practice squad, so the main factor there is whether or not the team feels it's worth the risk of losing him.  In the case of the Jets, if they were to cut Boyd and Simms and neither were signed elsewhere, they could bring Boyd back on the PS while also keeping their eyes on Simms as a back-up plan if anyone were to snag Boyd.

I talked about this the other day. I think it makes a lot of sense this year for the Jets to go with 2 QBs if they're looking for an extra roster spot.

Think about it. In every year since Ryan has been here, the backup has either been a mentor or a punt protector who they didn't trust at all. If the starter was hurt or so ineffective that he needed to sit, they went to the third stringer, be it McElroy or Simms. They've effectively only had two viable QBs. This is the first season that the backup/mentor is actually capable of playing. And really, if Geno and Vick both go down, does it really matter if there's not a third QB available? They'd probably be just as fine with Kerley back there as they would with Simms or Boyd for a quarter or a half. Then they could either call up Boyd from the practice squad, or sign a street free agent, or both.

The sixth WR or fourth RB could be a lot more valuable to the team than the third QB.

I talked about this the other day. I think it makes a lot of sense this year for the Jets to go with 2 QBs if they're looking for an extra roster spot.

Think about it. In every year since Ryan has been here, the backup has either been a mentor or a punt protector who they didn't trust at all. If the starter was hurt or so ineffective that he needed to sit, they went to the third stringer, be it McElroy or Simms. They've effectively only had two viable QBs. This is the first season that the backup/mentor is actually capable of playing. And really, if Geno and Vick both go down, does it really matter if there's not a third QB available? They'd probably be just as fine with Kerley back there as they would with Simms or Boyd for a quarter or a half. Then they could either call up Boyd from the practice squad, or sign a street free agent, or both.

The sixth WR or fourth RB could be a lot more valuable to the team than the third QB.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking unless Simms has made similar dramatic improvements to those they're alleging Geno's made. In that case, he may be worthwhile as the #3 with an eye on him as a long/longer-term #2. 

There certainly are cases where a #3 could be needed in what might otherwise be a postseason run.  Not saying the Jets are going to be in this position, but imagine Smith & Vick getting injured in the same game. One is only mildly injured (he's knocked out but he can start the next game), however the other is out for the balance of the season. The game, at the time of the 2nd injury, is a winnable one. Now let's say the Jets are in the running for the last WC spot or better, but giving away this otherwise winnable game puts the kibosh on those plans. (We finish 9-7 instead of 10-6, or 8-8 instead of 9-7, or whatever). 

Yeah, this is what I was thinking unless Simms has made similar dramatic improvements to those they're alleging Geno's made. In that case, he may be worthwhile as the #3 with an eye on him as a long/longer-term #2. 

There certainly are cases where a #3 could be needed in what might otherwise be a postseason run.  Not saying the Jets are going to be in this position, but imagine Smith & Vick getting injured in the same game. One is only mildly injured (he's knocked out but he can start the next game), however the other is out for the balance of the season. The game, at the time of the 2nd injury, is a winnable one. Now let's say the Jets are in the running for the last WC spot or better, but giving away this otherwise winnable game puts the kibosh on those plans. (We finish 9-7 instead of 10-6, or 8-8 instead of 9-7, or whatever).

The Jets would win, and the usual suspects here would be calling for Kerley to be the permanent starter.

As I said earlier though, this doesn't really hold up anymore ever since the NFL eliminated the "emergency QB" position.  Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that teams rarely bother to have 3 QBs completely active on game day.  I don't think any of Sanchez, Quinn, or Garrard were ever active on game day last season.

I'd still talk about Simms, based on the fact that everything I've read about Boyd to this point has been absolutely horrible.  He's supposedly thrown six "interceptions" in various drills in very limited reps.  Read one clip the other day that basically said he does nothing well and does not look like an NFL player.  While that could all end up meaning nothing at the end of the day, if he doesn't get better, can they really afford to keep him around?

yes, but he is Rex's personal pick.

yes, but he is Rex's personal pick.

I understand, but he was Rex's very late draft pick and Idzik should be the one to cut him if he's performing that poorly.

hi guys.  i am new to this board.  i have been a jets fan since the early days at shea.  i'm retired in fla now, and occasionally hear about namath sightings in tequesta, which is near where i now live!

re geno.  i can honestly say that i am not impressed with his throwing technique.  look at the still pics of him getting ready to throw the ball, and you see... tebow.  compare how he holds the balls (arm bent way back) to the way namath held it and you can see why defenses have an easy time to react to and intercept many of his passes

i would say geno can run okay, but i do not believe, after watching 40 plus years of jets football, that this kid is a starting qb in the nfl.

i believe he will suck tonight, and probably be benched by game 3 of in the regular season, after losing the first two games by a country mile  -- unless ryan is given assurances by woody that his job is not in jeopardy if idzick's pick doesnt pan out.

at that point he can sit and watch vick face a gauntlet of 5 or 6 really good teams.  maybe vick can pull a vinnie, maybe not, but i have not forgotten how awful geno was last season.

i don't care if he's bulked up.  some things you simply cannot teach.  you are either born with the god given talent to be a starting nfl qb, or you're not. 

it's just my opinion, but i don't believe for a minute that geno has what it takes.

hi guys.  i am new to this board.  i have been a jets fan since the early days at shea.  i'm retired in fla now, and occasionally hear about namath sightings in tequesta, which is near where i now live!

re geno.  i can honestly say that i am not impressed with his throwing technique.  look at the still pics of him getting ready to throw the ball, and you see... tebow.  compare how he holds the balls (arm bent way back) to the way namath held it and you can see why defenses have an easy time to react to and intercept many of his passes

i would say geno can run okay, but i do not believe, after watching 40 plus years of jets football, that this kid is a starting qb in the nfl.

i believe he will suck tonight, and probably be benched by game 3 of in the regular season, after losing the first two games by a country mile  -- unless ryan is given assurances by woody that his job is not in jeopardy if idzick's pick doesnt pan out.

at that point he can sit and watch vick face a gauntlet of 5 or 6 really good teams.  maybe vick can pull a vinnie, maybe not, but i have not forgotten how awful geno was last season.

i don't care if he's bulked up.  some things you simply cannot teach.  you are either born with the god given talent to be a starting nfl qb, or you're not. 

it's just my opinion, but i don't believe for a minute that geno has what it takes.

If you've been watching the NFL as long as you say, then how could you possibly believe the bold? In fact, the entire history of the league says you are wrong. No offense, and welcome to JN. :)

Time and again QBs either emerge from obscurity, like bagging groceries or being a journeyman backup or a backup that needed to spend a year or two being groomed, to being very successful and sometimes legendary starting QBs.

Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers

Josh McCown

There are all pedestrian examples that any current NFL fan should know back up what I'm saying.

If you've been watching the NFL as long as you say, then how could you possibly believe the bold? In fact, the entire history of the league says you are wrong. No offense, and welcome to JN. :)

Time and again QBs either emerge from obscurity, like bagging groceries or being a journeyman backup or a backup that needed to spend a year or two being groomed, to being very successful and sometimes legendary starting QBs.

Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers

Josh McCown

There are all pedestrian examples that any current NFL fan should know back up what I'm saying.

Not to mention, of course, the immortal

Babe Parilli!!!

;-)

and thx for the welcome to JN.  i signed up with nfl.com to watch the game tonite.  We shall soon find out if I'm totally off base re Geno.  I hope he succeeds, and that the Jets win it all.  Then again, I have been waiting since 68 for a championship season.

Kurt Warner

Aaron Rodgers

Josh McCown

It's less applicable 60+ years after but Unitas was cut by the Steelers early in his career. 

Disgusting that this is still happening under a new GM. At least this time there were like 11 other picks for the GM to make while ignoring Rex.

Ha ha ha. I only saw BOYD twice. Never liked him. I just have this feeling.....

Disgusting that this is still happening under a new GM. At least this time there were like 11 other picks for the GM to make while ignoring Rex.

Was I the only one who caught the announcers say last night that Idzik found Bohannon because he played college ball with his son?

Was I the only one who caught the announcers say last night that Idzik found Bohannon because he played college ball with his son?

Really? I didn't catch that.  Interesting.

It could be meaningful and it may not be. Did they say he drafted Bohanon because of that, or only that he first took notice of him (or that he bothered to even take a look at Bohanon in the first place) because of that? Last year he was still exclusively using the incumbent scouts, no? Also it's a 7th round FB. If he's a live body as a rookie and then gets cut, statistically we're still ahead of the curve.

If he's drafting his son's buddies, and allowing Ryan to do the same, that's pretty stupid. Only thing you can get judgment on due to personal relationships like that is 2nd-hand vouching about the kid's character or work ethic. 

What else did they say, if you can remember?

Really? I didn't catch that.  Interesting.

It could be meaningful and it may not be. Did they say he drafted Bohanon because of that, or only that he first took notice of him (or that he bothered to even take a look at Bohanon in the first place) because of that? Last year he was still exclusively using the incumbent scouts, no? Also it's a 7th round FB. If he's a live body as a rookie and then gets cut, statistically we're still ahead of the curve.

If he's drafting his son's buddies, and allowing Ryan to do the same, that's pretty stupid. Only thing you can get judgment on due to personal relationships like that is 2nd-hand vouching about the kid's character or work ethic. 

What else did they say, if you can remember?

It was during the play-by-play, I don't think there was anything else said.

I thought it was funny because of all the flack Rex gets for drafting his son's buddy. I think everything you said above pertains to Boyd. A sixth round comp pick isn't much different than a seventh rounder (especially as the eleventh of twelve picks). You need a fourth arm in camp, anyway. What's the harm? If the coach has met and likes the kid, that's probably more to go on than most teams have at the 213th pick of the draft. If Idzik passed on other QBs because Rex wanted Boyd, that would be a problem, but I'm really not under the impression that that's what he did.

It was during the play-by-play, I don't think there was anything else said.

I thought it was funny because of all the flack Rex gets for drafting his son's buddy. I think everything you said above pertains to Boyd. A sixth round comp pick isn't much different than a seventh rounder (especially as the eleventh of twelve picks). You need a fourth arm in camp, anyway. What's the harm? If the coach has met and likes the kid, that's probably more to go on than most teams have at the 213th pick of the draft. If Idzik passed on other QBs because Rex wanted Boyd, that would be a problem, but I'm really not under the impression that that's what he did.

Except everyone in the world knows that Tajh Boyd sucks.

Worked pretty good for us with Bruce Harper as well.  He was the Kutztown State teammate of the son of somebody with the Jets back then.

Archived