regarding idziks drafting best player available game plan

ylekram

YES!!!!when we passed on Montcrief I was mad this kid would be great next to decker god I was mad, and to think McDougal would be there when they picked in the 4th they had the what 4th pick in the 4th, god yeah I am still scratching my head on that one, The WRs we picked in my opinion suck the rest of draft I liked it was depth, imo. we are still rebuilding so depth is good. I think next year we move up and get that #1 WR would lo to see that. 

I think going into the 4th round we panicked and reached for our WR's. And that too very badly. Ellington was still available and we picked the midget ahead of him. At the end of the day its bad drafting. And the JETS really fudged it up in the middle rounds.

I think going into the 4th round we panicked and reached for our WR's. And that too very badly. Ellington was still available and we picked the midget ahead of him. At the end of the day its bad drafting. And the JETS really fudged it up in the middle rounds.

yeah im with you there I like the guard  and that kid in the7th the guy in the 7th had a 3rd round grade he just dropped because he was hurt I do like him just like AA he had a 3rd round grade and we got him what in the 7th, good depth ,but yeah we need to do much better next year and come out with 2 or 3 big time players not just depth.

yeah im with you there I like the guard  and that kid in the7th the guy in the 7th had a 3rd round grade he just dropped because he was hurt I do like him just like AA he had a 3rd round grade and we got him what in the 7th, good depth ,but yeah we need to do much better next year and come out with 2 or 3 big time players not just depth.

The kid in the 7th. Are you talking of the WR Green Bay picked ? I forgot his name.

Do u know what BPA means? It certainly doesn't stand for "the player who will have the best career in the NFL". It means the players is BPA on that teams draft board. How can u claim those players were NOT BPA on Idziks board? U have inside sources?

you lost me on this one

Has Pryor been flagged yet? He hits hard, but plays within the confines of the rules. He's been on the field for almost every single snap in a traditionally very difficult defense to grasp, all as a rookie. 

Also, maybe you should care what those other teams did in the first round, considering they were Green Bay, San Fran and the Cardinals. And the year before, there were four safeties selected in the first 33 picks: New Orleans, San Fran again, Cowboys and the Ravens.  

whats the common thread in these teams that have drafted a safety in the 1st round? all have qb's and receivers except for one. and all are better than the jets. luxury pick.the jets selecting a safety in the 1st while better players were available is like building a team from the outside in

The last time the Jets probably strayed from BPA was in 2005 when they traded to draft Nugent and bring in Doug Jolley, a trade that probably set the Jets back three years. Its hard to fault them so much in 2013 with the path they took. There was limited offensive talent and taking a G/RT in the top 10 would have been ridiculous. I dont think Milliner was a good pick but you were pretty much stuck with two defensive players in the draft and both were at positions of need. Even this year their options were basically Cooks or trading back for another WR or an interior lineman.

For the most part the Jets skill guys are not awful. Decker and Kerley are both good players. Cumberland is adequete and you drafted a 2nd round Tight End. Ivory is fine at RB and you brought in CJ<1K as well. The problem is the QB play and playcalling doesnt exactly make those people shine and then people say Smith has no weapons. The depth on offense is terrible (Decker goes down and its Nelson/Salas who cant find a ball they dont like to fumble) but usually you fill that later in the draft.

Whatever issues there are with the younger players really goes back to Tannenbaums final draft. The Coples over Jones decision is one I will never understand. Jones was a better fit for the defense than Coples and did not have the same concentration issues Coples had. That was a gamble that Rex could bring out the most out of Coples, whose been ok but Jones can be a gamechanger. And then you had an asinine trade for Stephen Hill. 

Calvin can become a Polamalu type, which we'd all be totally fine with. 

Jace can learn to block. As a pass catcher, I think he'll do pretty well. He's a big dude and he's got speed.

The rest I don't really know if I can disagree. I do think Mcdougle was a pretty good pick, but I do believe he woulda been there in the 4th.

Saunders is horrible. 

With stock pile of in-the-box safeties already on the roster, a stout front line and inexperienced CBs, I would have much preferred drafting an Ed Reed rather than Polamalu type.

Passing on Moncrief hurts too, I agree that he was one of my favorite players coming into the draft.  I, honestly, would've been more than fine if we picked him in the second round over Amaro.  However, the one caveat is that, Mcdougle looked very impressive in camp (atleast according to reports at the time), so the injury is unfortunate, but it was looking like a good pick.   

Worst of all, our plans for WR may have been ruined by Revis being released by TB, and moving that pick from 3rd to 4th.  Extra pick probably would've helped us to pick a better WR like Moncrief (if we were checking off positions in similar fashion) but all for naught.  

Too early to tell, but it looks like a disappointing draft so far, which hurts, because it was historically good at a position that we were lacking in, at WR.  I wish we did what the Jags did (which hurts to say) and load up on high picks with the WRs like Lee/Robinson, and take a shot at Hearns as well.    Once Decker goes out, we have absolutely no one that can gain separation against good corners.  Kerley is good, but he lacks top end speed to beat good corners on a consistent basis, he's much better if he's in the slot against less talented guys.  

He rocked Marshall at the goal line which jarre the ball loose and caused an incompletion and has a number of big hits on the ball-carrier behind the LOS.  Fair enough, you wouldn't draft one in the first round, but many of the best  teams in the league disagree with you.  

Don't recall any bet, the only thing I said of Benji was that he was the best deep threat in the draft and while I hate evaluating big wide receivers he could be either Alshon or Limas sweed and I was leaning more towards the former than latter.  I liked him as a first rounder, but wasn't willing to say he was OROY type of player, which clearly he is.

sorry, I had you confused with another poster about the Benjamin thing. I remember who it is now

Calvin can become a Polamalu type, which we'd all be totally fine with. 

Jace can learn to block. As a pass catcher, I think he'll do pretty well. He's a big dude and he's got speed.

The rest I don't really know if I can disagree. I do think Mcdougle was a pretty good pick, but I do believe he woulda been there in the 4th.

Saunders is horrible.

the jets may have liked McDougle enough to risk a third on him. Perhaps tthey got wind of another team taking him in the third. We do not know. I like the top three picks. At least I think I like Amaro.

Passing on Moncrief hurts too, I agree that he was one of my favorite players coming into the draft.  I, honestly, would've been more than fine if we picked him in the second round over Amaro.  However, the one caveat is that, Mcdougle looked very impressive in camp (atleast according to reports at the time), so the injury is unfortunate, but it was looking like a good pick.   

Worst of all, our plans for WR may have been ruined by Revis being released by TB, and moving that pick from 3rd to 4th.  Extra pick probably would've helped us to pick a better WR like Moncrief (if we were checking off positions in similar fashion) but all for naught.  

Too early to tell, but it looks like a disappointing draft so far, which hurts, because it was historically good at a position that we were lacking in, at WR.  I wish we did what the Jags did (which hurts to say) and load up on high picks with the WRs like Lee/Robinson, and take a shot at Hearns as well.    Once Decker goes out, we have absolutely no one that can gain separation against good corners.  Kerley is good, but he lacks top end speed to beat good corners on a consistent basis, he's much better if he's in the slot against less talented guys.  

yeah once our pick came in the 3rd I was sure it was going to be Moncrief and when the pick was called I was like WHO???? this kid had a 6 round grade,now I think it was because he was hurt but man that made me mad McDougle would have been there with our first pick in the 4th

The bad thing about this draft is that I only see 2 (maybe 3) out of 12 picks being on the roster in 3 years. It feels like a failure.

if you can't hit on late round picks, at least trade em. Tanny wasn't great but he knew his limitations when it came to the draft. 

the 3rd round pick of McDougle is interesting. That 3rd round has been a real mixed bag over the years... 

Bad 

3 16 80 Dexter McDougle DB Maryland
3 10 72 Brian Winters G Kent State
3 1 65 Shonn Greene RB Iowa
3 12 76 Anthony Schlegel LB Ohio State
3 13 76 Derrick Strait DB Oklahoma
3 21 85 B.J. Askew RB Michigan
3 29 90 David Loverne G San Jose State
3 6 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska
3 26 87 Kevin Williams DB Oklahoma State
3 29 94 Lou Benfatti DT Penn State

Good/ Decent

3 14 77 Demario Davis LB Arkansas State
3 30 94 Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton
3 24 88 Sione Pouha DT Utah
3 17 79 Kareem McKenzie T Penn State
3 16 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State
3 28 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa
3 1 62 Ray Mickens DB Texas A&M
3 12 68 Siupeli Malamala T Washington
3 8 63 Mo Lewis LB Georgia

yeah once our pick came in the 3rd I was sure it was going to be Moncrief and when the pick was called I was like WHO???? this kid had a 6 round grade,now I think it was because he was hurt but man that made me mad McDougle would have been there with our first pick in the 4th

I don't even understand the draft to be honest.   

If you pick Moncrief with the 3rd pick, I think it would've been safe to assume that Mcdougle would've made it to the 4th round.   And then if we needed a speedster/return guy, De'Anthony Thomas would still be on board.  I didn't understand why they didn't fill the glaring need of a No. 2 WR over the somewhat salvageable second CB situation, especially the information known at the time.

Now we have no weapons besides Decker to beat good CBs.   

BPA is a sound philosophy, but we certainly didn't draft BPA. The guy from Walter Football may not like the Jets much, but one thing he said immediately following the draft struck me as dead-on:

"It doesn't appear as though the Jets understand the value aspect of the draft. They see players they like, and they take them, completely ignoring the fact that they can obtain better prospects at earlier picks all while still securing the players they covet much later."

I don't even understand the draft to be honest.   

If you pick Moncrief with the 3rd pick, I think it would've been safe to assume that Mcdougle would've made it to the 4th round.   And then if we needed a speedster/return guy, De'Anthony Thomas would still be on board.  I didn't understand why they didn't fill the glaring need of a No. 2 WR over the somewhat salvageable second CB situation, especially the information known at the time.

Now we have no weapons besides Decker to beat good CBs.   

yeah and we just cut whats his name,  in a draft that was very deep at WR and we had 12 picks!!! not one was good! who ever was the scout needs to be let go a.s.a.p. wasted picks if you ask me. you cant build a team like that.i liked our picks that are not WRs

Archived