Rex Ryan- I need every win I can get

faba

By Danny Knobler | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

Jets' Rex Ryan Now Holding Players Accountable
Jets reporter Rich Cimini says Rex Ryan is making lineup changes based on production, including benching Calvin Pryor.
Jets Fifth Down: Jets Get Big Win Before Bye Week

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets coach Rex Ryan won't predict how many games his 2-8 team can win the rest of the season. Or how many games the Jets need to win to save Ryan's job.

"I need every one I can get," Ryan said Wednesday, after the Jets' final bye-week practice.

The Jets have been more upbeat this week after breaking an eight-game losing streak with Sunday's 20-13 win against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Linebacker Calvin Pace said Wednesday that he believes the Jets are capable of winning all six remaining games on their schedule.

They may need to come close to that if Ryan is to have any chance at saving his job.

Ryan's Jets are already guaranteed their fourth consecutive season without a winning record, after going to the AFC Championship Game in each of Ryan's first two seasons as coach. The Jets haven't made it to the playoffs since 2010.

"One thing that I'm confident in is that we're going to play our tails off," Ryan said. "We're going to prepare like it's a playoff game riding on it. How many wins we'll have, we'll find out, but I'm confident we'll have a number of them."

The Jets won three of their last four games a year ago, and it turned out the 8-8 record was enough to bring Ryan back for a sixth season. General manager John Idzik made the announcement in the locker room after a season-ending 20-7 win in Miami.

Now, with another lost season, both Idzik and Ryan have been under fire. While things have been calmer this week after the win, a week ago the Jets were dealing with planes flying over their practice field demanding Idzik be fired, and billboards on local highways saying the same thing.

Ryan's players have remained supportive of their coach.

"I'm for Rex every day, but Rex isn't playing," Pace said. "I hate to hear him take all the blame. But that's the good thing about Rex. He takes it."

Ryan's immediate focus this week has been on how to better deal with the bye week. In his first five seasons, the Jets are 1-4 in games immediately following the bye. Ryan switched the schedule this year, with the Jets practicing twice and then taking four days off, as opposed to the one practice and six days off schedule he had used in the past.

"The big thing is to see how we come off the bye, and see if we can't change our ways," Ryan said.

Ryan had Hall of Fame wide receiver Cris Carter talk to the Jets players on Tuesday. Carter played for Buddy Ryan, Rex's father, with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's kind of neat that guys like that are out there for you," Rex Ryan said. "He was scheduled to talk for an hour, but I think he went an hour and a half."

No matter how many players and former players Ryan has out there for him, he's going to need wins the rest of the season to have any hope of keeping his job.

How many does he need? He's right -- as many as he can get.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Self-preservation has always been the centerpiece of the Ryan agenda.

Right now, I honestly think he's coming back next year, no matter the team's record…and that realization disgusts me to no end.

Yes, I know. I've been saying it for a long, long time. :)

Anybody else ever notice that it always seems the nice 'player' quotes about Rex are always from somewhere along the defensive front 7.... 

Hah pretty damming that never a word from offensive side of the ball- head coach of whole team not just defense

Hah pretty damming that never a word from offensive side of the ball- head coach of whole team not just defense

Over the course of Rex's tenure one could argue Mangold and Brick have been his most consistent and valuable players on the team, and you barely ever see a quote. I don't know, I'm not a huge news reader so maybe I'm wrong but whenever I do look it always seems it's someone from the D front 7 or Colon, who's your typical head case-type Rex crony, more or less, probably bc he would be a back up on most other teams, if for nothing else, bc he's a penalty machine. 

Over the course of Rex's tenure one could argue Mangold and Brick have been his most consistent and valuable players on the team, and you barely ever see a quote. I don't know, I'm not a huge news reader so maybe I'm wrong but whenever I do look it always seems it's someone from the D front 7 or Colon, who's your typical head case-type Rex crony, more or less, probably bc he would be a back up on most other teams, if for nothing else, bc he's a penalty machine.

That's because Mangold and Brick are the ultimate professionals. They consistently do their jobs and keep their mouths shut.

Even more damning was Mark Sanchez's quote on Chip Kelly the other night, talking about how awe-struck he was by Chip's overall level of preparation…struck me as an indictment against Wrecks.

he also used the terms "offense," "offensive-minded," and "offensive" about 15 times in that interview.

Philadelphia D over 2x the amount of takeaways as Rex's D. kinda weird how Kelly can accomplish that being an "offensive genius"

Even more damning was Mark Sanchez's quote on Chip Kelly the other night, talking about how awe-struck he was by Chip's overall level of preparation…struck me as an indictment against Wrecks.

To be fair, Sanchez isn't the first person to say that about Kelly.  I heard Dick Vermeil do a Philly radio interview before the season and he said he went to an Eagles practice and it was unlike anything he'd ever seen.  With the speed/efficiency/creativity, he said a single practice for the Eagles is equivalent to 1 1/2 or 2 full practices for any other team.  I think a CB complained publicly after a win about how much they're asked to do during the week, saying it was burning them out.

To be fair, Sanchez isn't the first person to say that about Kelly. I heard Dick Vermeil do a Philly radio interview before the season and he said he went to an Eagles practice and it was unlike anything he'd ever seen. With the speed/efficiency/creativity, he said a single practice for the Eagles is equivalent to 1 1/2 or 2 full practices for any other team. I think a CB complained publicly after a win about how much they're asked to do during the week, saying it was burning them out.

That was Cary Williams.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11566969/cary-williams-says-chip-kelly-overworking-eagles-practice

because he's owed 3 million dollars.

Which, as you've reminded us, is chicken-feed for an NFL coach. If, as you and slats have also stated, he's as valued around the league as you think, he should be able to improve upon a paltry one-year, $3 mil deal the second he leaves Florham Park.

Serious question here: if you're Rex, why don't you just walk away at the end of the season?

Because right now, he's finished as a HC in this league. Outside of the low-information contingent of this fanbase, everyone knows he's a lousy HC who brings a circus atmosphere wherever he goes. He's probably hoping he can have a respectable season (with his 3rd GM, 3rd QB, and 4th OC - you know, because our failure is always everyone's fault but his) next year to salvage something of his reputation, and hopefully get another shot elsewhere at some point in the future.

Thank God the jets are not run by fans...getting rid of rex would be stupid. He's done nothing but drag our undertalented teams to more victories than they should have every single season he has coached the NY jets, including this one. The one time we have average talent he coached them to back to back afc championships over much more talented teams. The fire Idsik is stupid too, sure our couch surfing fans love to talk about how we should have over paid for corners or signed this or that like Tanny did, but he was hired to do exactly what he is doing. Add talent dont break the bank. We have a great off season in front of us. 

#cantwait

This is insanity. Nothing good comes from letting Rex finish the season or winning one more game. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero. All we are doing with each passing week is giving ourselves less options next April.

This ******* organization. Never bad enough and never good enough. Every god damn year.

That's why I was praying we'd lose the PITT game last week - just in case there was any credence to the rumor that he'd be out if we lost that game.

Thank God the jets are not run by fans...getting rid of rex would be stupid. He's done nothing but drag our undertalented teams to more victories than they should have every single season he has coached the NY jets, including this one. The one time we have average talent he coached them to back to back afc championships over much more talented teams. The fire Idsik is stupid too, sure our couch surfing fans love to talk about how we should have over paid for corners or signed this or that like Tanny did, but he was hired to do exactly what he is doing. Add talent dont break the bank. We have a great off season in front of us.

Is this post sarcasm?

Archived