Geno's TD pass

AFJF

Was it just me, or did the CB on that play look the Vikes version of Kyle Wilson?  Seemed like Harvin had him beat deep but then had to stop and let the CB keep going so he could catch the under-thrown ball.  If the CB turns around, likely an INT, or at least a PD.

Was it just me, or did the CB on that play look the Vikes version of Kyle Wilson?  Seemed like Harvin had him beat deep but then had to stop and let the CB keep going so he could catch the under-thrown ball.  If the CB turns around, likely an INT, or at least a PD

To me that was the worst defensive team we faced all year. 

Firstly - Its like they didn't game plan.

-They gave Geno a soft zone defense most of the time which he does his best work against. 

-There 4 man rush often left huge running lanes for him. 

-There barely blitzed. 

-When they did blitz like EVERY other team in the league against us GENO sucked. But although it worked almost every time - They still barely did it. 

-They couldn't recover a fumble to save their life. 

-The De had a gift int that hit him in the chest. 

-The CB play was horrendous. 

While there defense sucked I couldn't be more impressed with Bridgewater. He did things in like his 5th game that most young players don't do for years. 

-Great touch. 

-Drove his team into FG range in 19 seconds. 

-If we had a False start he recognized it and took a shot downfield. 

-You could see him adjusting on the Fly to our defense. 

-Only fitting to get us on an all out blitz that he had trouble with. 

The Vikings are set and they did this with no bigtime WR, no bigtime te, no bigtime RB. That team eventually will be good because of him even if he never becomes a super star. Its the reason I would never want Cooper in the draft. WR doesn't make the QB (Cough Harvin 10m per year/Decker 11m per year). QB Makes the receiver. 

Blowing coverages is now "kyle wilsoning". I like the idea

Captain Muernnelyn(Sp?) was doing his best Kyle Wilson yesterday as he showed severe inability to turn his head to the football. Instead of a few easy interceptions we ended up getting a bunch of holding and PI's on him. 

Perhaps we were lucky we didn't get him. 

Was it just me, or did the CB on that play look the Vikes version of Kyle Wilson?  Seemed like Harvin had him beat deep but then had to stop and let the CB keep going so he could catch the under-thrown ball.  If the CB turns around, likely an INT, or at least a PD.

While I may be Pollyannaish here, I think Smith purposely under threw the ball to allow his receiver to make the play. Credit him on the play.

While I may be Pollyannaish here, I think Smith purposely under threw the ball to allow his receiver to make the play. Credit him on the play.

I'd have to watch the play again because I only saw it once, but it looked to me like Harvin had his man beat deep and if Smith put  more on the pass, no risk of the DB getting between Harvin and the ball.  Again, I may be wrong which I why I was asking for opinions.

Getting behind a DB and underthowing has been regular practice in the NFL for years.  That was one of the very few times the Jets have done it over the last decade.  More than TDs, it gets a ton of PI calls. 

Interesting...I don't know if you're right or wrong on this particular play, but I'd think the preferred option would be to throw the ball to where the receiver can catch it as opposed to an intentional underthrow and risk the INT.  Not trying to be a smartass either, I really don't know if he missed the wide open option on purpose or not, but I'd prefer he deliver the ball w/ the defender being out of the picture instead of throwing it in such a way to give him a chance to make a play.

First time I've ever seen a Jets WR make a play on the football in the air.

Felt bad for the Jets on that play. Braylon used to make those plays and we let him walk picking up a douche and paying him a ton.

-They gave Geno a soft zone defense most of the time which he does his best work against. 

-There barely blitzed. 

-When they did blitz like EVERY other team in the league against us GENO sucked. But although it worked almost every time - They still barely did it. 

While there defense sucked I couldn't be more impressed with Bridgewater. He did things in like his 5th game that most young players don't do for years. 

-Great touch. 

The Vikings are set and they did this with no bigtime WR, no bigtime te, no bigtime RB. That team eventually will be good because of him even if he never becomes a super star. Its the reason I would never want Cooper in the draft. WR doesn't make the QB (Cough Harvin 10m per year/Decker 11m per year). QB Makes the receiver. 

One handed pick 6 was a fluke. You barely see WRs make that grab let alone a LB. Then Vikes recovered their own fumble in the EZ giving them 7 points while Jets fumble at the Vikes 3 stole 7 points. If anything, This could have easily been a 31-10 Jets victory. 

Getting behind a DB and underthowing has been regular practice in the NFL for years.  That was one of the very few times the Jets have done it over the last decade.  More than TDs, it gets a ton of PI calls. 

Not when the receiver has the DB beaten so badly.  That was a miss by Geno and, fortunately, Harvin had such a large gap he could come back and still make a clean reception.  

Not when the receiver has the DB beaten so badly.  That was a miss by Geno and, fortunately, Harvin had such a large gap he could come back and still make a clean reception.  

This is what I was thinking....looked to me like he smoked the CB so no reason to underthrow and give him a chance to make a play.  Well thrown deep ball is an easy TD.

Last week, Smith overthrew Harvin on that corner route, and there was obviously no chance of anything.

This week, he underthrew it, but that gave Harvin a chance to make a play on the ball - which he did rather easily.  An underthrow - especially to an actual NFL receiver like Harvin (as opposed to say Stephen Hill) - is waay better than an overthrow.

Personally, I think Geno's confidence was low when he threw that - it was right after the pick-6.  So that might have contributed to the inaccuracy.  But after that, it seems like he got his mojo back a bit.  He's probably a lost cause, but it's nice to see him play well regardless...

-There barely blitzed. 

-Great touch. 

I disagree. here's an example, what would Eli Mannings career look like if he didnt have Plaxico Burress, David Tyree, Hakim Nicks, Mario Manningham and now Odell Jr making plays on poorly thrown balls.

I disagree. here's an example, what would Eli Mannings career look like if he didnt have Plaxico Burress, David Tyree, Hakim Nicks, Mario Manningham and now Odell Jr making plays on poorly thrown balls.

Plax/Nicks/Beckham were first round picks. However my argument is that guys like Nicks, Tyree, every Te, cruz, and the rest of the guys are made by Manning. Manningham/Tyree have done nothing without Manning. Just Like Greg Jennings has done nothing without Aaron Rodgers. 

Ted Thompson realized this the same as Belicheck and all the other good coaches. 2nd or 3rd rounders have been the go to for the Packers like Nelson, Cobb and Adams while the Patriots are making Brandon Lafell look like a good receiver. With all the mid rounders having success this year theres a ton of examples of this. You could look to what Decker is doing here, and how easily he was replaced in Denver. Emmanuel Sanders is making less then half of Deckers salary. 

Interesting...I don't know if you're right or wrong on this particular play, but I'd think the preferred option would be to throw the ball to where the receiver can catch it as opposed to an intentional underthrow and risk the INT.  Not trying to be a smartass either, I really don't know if he missed the wide open option on purpose or not, but I'd prefer he deliver the ball w/ the defender being out of the picture instead of throwing it in such a way to give him a chance to make a play.

I wasn't saying it was intentional.  I was saying we should do that intentionally at times and never do.  It is the throw to make when the WR is covered closely by a DB with his back to the QB.  An underthrow gets the WR run over and a routine PI call.

I wasn't saying it was intentional.  I was saying we should do that intentionally at times and never do.  It is the throw to make when the WR is covered closely by a DB with his back to the QB.  An underthrow gets the WR run over and a routine PI call.

Agreed...our pass offense has been so bad that I'd have no issue throwing a contested pass with tight coverage.  This one IMO wasn't tight though....should've been in stride.  That's part of the reason I was so surprised to see Geno celebrating it like it was a game winning TD.  I know he was probably just blowing off steam though...can't blame him after the way he's played this season.

My first thought about this thread title was ... it's depressing that we never have to think "which one does he mean?"

24 points yesterday ... 5 FG's, 1 safety, and 1 TD. And one pick-six to offset it.

Sad.  :mad0259:

My first thought about this thread title was ... it's depressing that we never have to think "which one does he mean?"

24 points yesterday ... 5 FG's, 1 safety, and 1 TD. And one pick-six to offset it.

Sad.  :mad0259:

I wish that wasn't true.

-There barely blitzed. 

-Great touch. 

Decker got a $4M raise!

The Vikings suck.  Bridgewater looks promising, but beating the 2014 Jets CBs is not exactly something to write home about and otherwise, they were basically outplayed by a 2-10 team.  

Archived