Mort...Idzik gone, New GM could decide on Rex

AFJF

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now Mort is saying Rex won't be hanging around...

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 50s51 seconds ago

Jets owner Woody Johnson will move swiftly Monday to fire both John Idzik and Rex Ryan, per sources. Johnson won't keep Ryan hanging on fate

Good.

Why not do it tonight.  After the awful "job" those two did this season they should have been fired immediately following the conclusion of the game in Miami.  Woody should have been waiting for them in the locker room with the news.

Now Mort is saying Rex won't be hanging around...

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 50s51 seconds ago

Jets owner Woody Johnson will move swiftly Monday to fire both John Idzik and Rex Ryan, per sources. Johnson won't keep Ryan hanging on fate

Good.. Now he can go out and land his next job instead of waiting around. Rex deserves that.

Thanks for the memories Rex and best of luck wherever you land.

Good.

Why not do it tonight.  After the awful "job" those two did this season they should have been fired immediately following the conclusion of the game in Miami.  Woody should have been waiting for them in the locker room with the news.

No need to twist the dagger. These things happen the day after usually. Thats why it's known as Black monday.

Good.. Now he can go out and land his next job instead of waiting around. Rex deserves that.

1. Rex will not get another NFL head coaching job.

2. Rex deserves nothing.

3. Duped Jets fans put us in this situation for an extra 2 years needlessly.

SAR I

Bad move firing Rex..he isn't responsible for putting together a disgrace of a roster. It's amazing he got 12 wins the past two years and was competitive with a team filled with practice squad players. Rex will win with a competent front office.

You don't understand the business side of the game. 

Bad move firing Rex..he isn't responsible for putting together a disgrace of a roster. It's amazing he got 12 wins the past two years and was competitive with a team filled with practice squad players. Rex will win with a competent front office.

"We are the best 3-12 team in NFL history." One of Rex's rookies had the balls to say that a few days ago. Can you imagine? Go tell your boss "hey, we're the best sales team to miss our forecast by 75%!" see what happens.

This move is 2 years too late, Rex should have been canned in 2012 when the new GM was hired. Woody kept Rex for gullible Jets fans who liked his blue-collar ways, liked his festive mouth, thought that he represented their beer-guzzling selves. He's the Rusty Staub, the David Wright of the NFL. Lovable losers for desperate loser fans who don't know what a winner smells like.

SAR I

2. Rex deserves nothing.

SAR I

Atlanta seems like a landing spot for him. Already set up on offense. They are desperate for a decent defense. Definitely could see him being the head coach there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't understand the business side of the game.

My rooting interest isn't in the business side. It doesn't take much to realize this team lacks talent.

Please name any of our cornerbacks please.

Not even the great Coach of New England could have rescued this team from obscurity.

I'd like to know where you feel Rex Ryan was responsible for any losses this season.

Completely disagree. His only consistency is his ineptness during in-game managing & inability to develop players. The NFL is an ever-morphing animal, and Rex never showed the humility nor competency to adapt to the league's biased to be a High-Scoring Passing League.

"We are the best 3-12 team in NFL history." One of Rex's rookies had the balls to say that a few days ago. Can you imagine? Go tell your boss "hey, we're the best sales team to miss our forecast by 75%!" see what happens.This move is 2 years too late, Rex should have been canned in 2012 when the new GM was hired. Woody kept Rex for gullible Jets fans who liked his blue-collar ways, liked his festive mouth, thought that he represented their beer-guzzling selves. He's the Rusty Staub, the David Wright of the NFL. Lovable losers for desperate loser fans who don't know what a winner smells like.SAR I

And Rex is responsible how for a rookie stating that?

The guy went to back to back AFC championship games..a real loser indeed.

Atlanta seems like a landing spot for him. Already set up on offense. They are desperate for a decent defense. Definitely could see him being the head coach there.

Not a chance. Like you said, its because Atlanta is "set up on offense" and we know how Rex likes to ignore the offense and overload the defense. You'd think the Ravens would have taught us this by now. They passed on Rex, won a bunch of division titles, went to the playoffs a ton, and won a Super Bowl by jettisoning Ryan.

Big picture, Arthur Blank runs Home Depot and public perception matters to his customers and his board members. Foot fetishes and bird flipping and cursing fans and ill-placed tatoos and other poor Rex decisions aren't going to help the Falcons or it's owner. The only way Rex gets another head coaching job is if a team is starved for a ringmaster in a circus-town. Jacksonville comes to mind.

SAR I

"We are the best 3-12 team in NFL history." One of Rex's rookies had the balls to say that a few days ago. Can you imagine? Go tell your boss "hey, we're the best sales team to miss our forecast by 75%!" see what happens.

This move is 2 years too late, Rex should have been canned in 2012 when the new GM was hired. Woody kept Rex for gullible Jets fans who liked his blue-collar ways, liked his festive mouth, thought that he represented their beer-guzzling selves. He's the Rusty Staub, the David Wright of the NFL. Lovable losers for desperate loser fans who don't know what a winner smells like.

SAR I

Truth is the whole Rex Ryan/regular guy act wore pretty thin from the season of Tebow/Victor Cruz debacles.Ig even wore thin on his protege Mike Pettine.  Of course the players love him like kids love a sub teacher who lets them get away with everything. And even today they're still wasting timeouts and taking 12 men penalties. 

2. Rex deserves nothing.

SAR I

1. Rex will be interviewing for head coaching jobs soon after being fired tomorrow (unless he decides to enter into television for a year)

2. Rex did some great things for the Jets organization. He made the Jets constantly relevant, gave them an identity, and brought the Jets to back to back championship games. 10 years from now we will look back at the Rex Ryan Era as the most exciting era in Jets football and miss it. So for that he deserves the opportunity to go out and land on his feet.

3. Jet fans have had nothing to do with Rex staying. Rex earned this season by getting a bad Jets team to 8-8 last year. Unfortunately with a harder record, no cornerbacks, no progression at the quarterback position, and a couple of breaks that didn't go our way here we are at 4-12.

Completely disagree. His only consistency is his ineptness during in-game managing & inability to develop players. The NFL is an ever-morphing animal, and Rex never showed the humility nor competency to adapt to the league's biased to be a High-Scoring Passing League.

I agree with you on some in game situations..specifically with time outs this year.

I don't think it's fair to say he hasn't developed players. Players such as Wilkerson, Richardson,Snacks, Demario have all blossomed and improved under Rex. The problem is..there was no development on the offensive side of the ball. Let's not forget their are position coaches and coordinators on this team as well..a head coach is only as good as what he has to work with.

Rex got the short end of the stick here.

My rooting interest isn't in the business side. It doesn't take much to realize this team lacks talent.

Not even the great Coach of New England could have rescued this team from obscurity.

I'd like to know where you feel Rex Ryan was responsible for any losses this season.

This team lacks talent BECAUSE of Rex Ryan. Get it?

He was extremely involved in player personnel, he runs an archaic system that hasn't worked since 1985, and you can count on three fingers the amount of NFL caliber players Rex has developed despite all the high draft picks, draft picks wasted on defense where he still can't get a big stop to win a game.

You were fooled. You can just admit it and move on. Fighting it only makes it worse.

"Show me where Rex was responsible for 12 losses this season." That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a Jets fan say.

SAR I

I'm on record for about 6 years worth of posts about how Rex has been a detriment to this franchise. I wanted Rex to be "the guy" as much as anyone, but I'm honest with myself and called out his flaws as they surfaced. I took a lot of crap for it, but it's apparent now to most.

We are far past the time of itemizing losses that Rex is immediately responsible for in this season. The general manager and the head coach are BOTH responsible for building a winning football team. Rex has been the lynchpin to failure, he is not solely responsible, but he is hardly the blameless hero that some naive fans seem to still think he is, as they assume ONLY a GM dictates who ends up on the roster. This roster has been crap for 4 years. Idzik is responsible for 2 of them, Tanny was responsible for 2 of them as well, and Rex is responsible for all 4 of those years as well. 

Rex should have been fired with Tanny. Idzik should never have been hired. Jets fans need to stop fearing the change they clamor for.

This team lacks talent BECAUSE of Rex Ryan. Get it?He was extremely involved in player personnel, he runs an archaic system that hasn't worked since 1985, and you can count on three fingers the amount of NFL caliber players Rex has developed despite all the high draft picks, draft picks wasted on defense where he still can't get a big stop to win a game.You were fooled. You can just admit it and move on. Fighting it only makes it worse."Show me where Rex was responsible for 12 losses this season." That has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard a Jets fan say.SAR I

The team lacks talent because of a clueless front office..starting at the top with Woody. I didn't realize Rex was the GM as well making all of these so called high draft picks.

I get it..you all need someone to blame. I for one will miss Rex. He got his practice squad level team to play hard in be in plenty of games this year they had no business being in with a disaster of a QB and no secondary whatsoever.

Please name some head coaches you feel would've been successful with this team.

The Jets make the same dumb mistakes over and over-12 men, wasted timeouts, la di da when they should be shaking tail. That cuts the margin for error to nothing,Trying to avoid passing is insane. You have to pass effectively to score. The Seahawks might be your contra example, but it's a team that is disciplined to not make stupid mistakes and can pass effectively. The jets offense under Ryan never did either of those things.  Of course they play close games, but part of that is teams knowing the jets offense has been noncombatants who sooner rather than late will screw it up. And those dumb errors then haunt you. And for all the defensive genius nonsense the defense often wore down and collapsed. And has any Ryan defense accounted for the TE ever? 

Stating facts must be trolling. You were a fan when they were playing in those game right? I bet you were on the Rex train then.

You aren't stating facts, lol. 

Anyway, my being a Jets fan has never wavered... when they played in the playoffs in Rex's first 2 seasons, I rooted for my Jets to win and for Rex to prove me wrong. 

His whole first season, all I saw was him acting like a buffoon, putting a target on the team's back, muddling the rookie QBs head, mucking up the offense, floundering in-game coaching, and improving our defense (except when we played good QBs with coaches that understood that max-protect and underneath routes can chew Rex's scheme up and spit it out). 

It would have been great if he proved me wrong. Instead, he made the team worse than I could ever imagine.

You're dead wrong on #1

What owner wants a guy who was dumb enough to make a foot fetish video using his real address when he's a public figure bucking for an NFL head coaching job and all the forward-facing media that goes with it?

What owner wants a guy who so compliments and dotes on his players that they actually empty their lockers feeling like a 12-4 team instead of a 4-12 team?

What owner wants a guy who sent his franchise quarterback out onto the field in the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game and got him killed for the year?

What owner wants a guy who blamed an entire failed season on having "too many captains" who then turns around and invites his captains to an offsite "leadership camp"?

What owner wants a guy whose team no-showed in back-to-back AFC Championship Games?

What owner wants a guy whose team got blown out in San Diego in October because "it was too hot"?

What owner wants a guy who at his best produces a 10-9 victory and frustrates the fanbase because NFL football is supposed to be exciting?

What owner wants a guy who can't count 12 players on the field or manage a clock or doesn't care about timeouts?

What owner wants a guy who is a glorified defensive coordinator and an overrated one at that?

What owner wants a guy who hired Tony Sparano as an offensive coordinator?

What owner wanta a guy who signed off on Tim Tebow?

What owner wants a guy that Mike Westhoff quit on?

What owner wants a guy who has regressed every season from the first?

What owner wants a guy who sill is making the same stupid mistakes at Game #102 as he did in Game #1?

None. Zero. Nada. Donut.

SAR I

The Jets make the same dumb mistakes over and over-12 men, wasted timeouts, la di da when they should be shaking tail. That cuts the margin for error to nothing,Trying to avoid passing is insane. You have to pass effectively to score. The Seahawks might be your contra example, but it's a team that is disciplined to not make stupid mistakes and can pass effectively. The jets offense under Ryan never did either of those things.  Of course they play close games, but part of that is teams knowing the jets offense has been noncombatants who sooner rather than late will screw it up. And those dumb errors then haunt you. And for all the defensive genius nonsense the defense often wore down and collapsed. And has any Ryan defense accounted for the TE ever? 

Couldn't agree more.

The team lacks talent because of a clueless front office..starting at the top with Woody. I didn't realize Rex was the GM as well making all of these so called high draft picks.

I get it..you all need someone to blame. I for one will miss Rex. He got his practice squad level team to play hard in be in plenty of games this year they had no business being in with a disaster of a QB and no secondary whatsoever.

Please name some head coaches you feel would've been successful with this team.

You "didn't realize Rex was the GM" is a monumentally stupid remark to make after you just implied that Woody, the owner, is responsible for the lack of talent on the team.

So, by your logic, the GM and Owner are more responsible for player personnel than the GM and Coach.

I bet that seems smart to you.

You aren't stating facts, lol. 

Anyway, my being a Jets fan has never wavered... when they played in the playoffs in Rex's first 2 seasons, I rooted for my Jets to win and for Rex to prove me wrong. 

His whole first season, all I saw was him acting like a buffoon, putting a target on the team's back, muddling the rookie QBs head, mucking up the offense, floundering in-game coaching, and improving our defense (except when we played good QBs with coaches that understood that max-protect and underneath routes can chew Rex's scheme up and spit it out). 

It would have been great if he proved me wrong. Instead, he made the team worse than I could ever imagine.

It isn't a fact the Jets went to back to back AFC Championship games?

I'm supposed to have a conversation with a grown man that says "lol"?

That about sums up your credibility. LOLZ

Archived