Maccagnan to be Jets GM: Rappoport

T0mShane

Schefter just said on air that the Jets, including Maccagnan, Woody, etc, were ready to fly to Seattle last night if the Seahawks lost to hire him, and that there's some concern that the Dolphins might sneak in on Quinn due to the Tannenbaum connection.

Dolphins have to fire their HC first, whom they just gave an extension to.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schefter just said on air that the Jets, including Maccagnan, Woody, etc, were ready to fly to Seattle last night if the Seahawks lost to hire him, and that there's some concern that the Dolphins might sneak in on Quinn due to the Tannenbaum connection.

They said that there would be a conflict of interest in terms of contract negotiations with Quinn since Tannenbaum doesn't take over the Dolphins job until February 1st and Tanny is to negotiate the Quinn deal.

That's be tough for the Dolphins to do since they already extended Philbin

You do realize the Phins extended Philbin a few weeks ago?

That sounds like the veteran QB the Jets need. I would take that.

I always thought Schaub was okay, but he could be rattled a little easier than the good QBs.  Then he got rattled so much he became a pick 6 machine.  I used to think that about Vinnie before he came here.  I have my fingers tightly crossed.

They said that there would be a conflict of interest in terms of contract negotiations with Quinn since Tannenbaum doesn't take over the Dolphins job until February 1st and Tanny is to negotiate the Quinn deal.

I thought Tannenbaum already passed Quinn off?

I have a little faith in Casserly and Wolf coming to the conclusion on Maccagnon. I'll really just be grateful to get away from the accountant as GM massacres we've had around here for way too long. Finding a guy who can handle the maths isn't a huge deal.

I think you you've got it wrong.

I believe Woody realized that he has made errors in the past. His actions prove this to me: He went out and hired Casserly and Wolf so he could have some expert guidance to help him through the hiring process. By all accounts, the process has been very thorough. That said, no doubt they heavily influenced who was on the list of names compiled for interviews. While I think their opinions would certainly influence Woody heavily, I believe the ultimate decision was Woody's.

And how else would you have it? Without their influence, Woody would have made his choice in a vacuum. Is that what you really want?

I have great faith (for once) that they let the process unfold and it lead to a smart choice. Does that mean it will work out? No. But I think it gives us a fighting chance and I like that.

Did they actually do it or did they just talk about it?

Actually everyone is right. They have not extended him yet, but it is a done deal. Paperwork needs to be signed. Also the owner, like Woody 2 years ago, has said Philbin is def the coach for 2015 season

http://m.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/football/source-miami-dolphins-to-extend-joe-philbins-contr/njjmq/

It's got the Casserly-Wolf stamp on it so I'm happy with it. Cimini was on with Bill Daughtry yesterday and said that the general opinion of Maccagnan is that he has a great eye for talent, but doesn't come off as an alpha male executive-type. FWIW

So if they brought Dominik in it might be as a mentor type for Mac until Dominik could find himself another job, if he ever does?

I don't believe they ever signed him to the extension. They just talked about it.

Source: Miami Dolphins to extend Joe Philbin’s contract two years

7:18 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 8, 2015

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin is not only coming back for another season, but he will be locked in beyond that.

Although the Dolphins do not publicly comment on contract extensions for coaches or executives, The Palm Beach Post has learned that the team is in the process of extending Philbin’s initial four-year deal, which will expire after the 2015 season.

Allen Eyestone

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin reportedly will receive a two-year contract extension. (Allen Eyestone / The Palm Beach Post)

Details are still being worked out, but according to a source, the extension is believed to be for two years, which would run through the 2017 season.

Of course, the extension doesn’t guarantee that Philbin will actually coach the Dolphins past the 2015 season.

Owner Stephen Ross gave former coach Tony Sparano a two-year extension before the 2011 season, but he was fired 13 games into that season.

Former general manager Jeff Ireland received a one-year extension before the 2013 season, but he was fired after that year.

So why extend Philbin after compiling a 23-25 record in three seasons and failing to lead the Dolphins to the playoffs?

There are most likely a couple of reasons. Giving him an extension eliminates his “lame duck” status, which is always an awkward position for coaches when dealing with his staff or players.

Also, if the Dolphins are successful in 2015, they won’t have to worry about Philbin becoming a free agent and potentially commanding a higher salary.

Terms of his new deals were not immediately available and his current contract has never been made public, but Philbin is believed to earn at least $3 million a year.

By comparison, New Orleans’ Sean Payton is the NFL’s highest-paid coach at more than $8 million a year.

Most NFL coaches have offset language in their contracts, meaning that if Philbin is fired before his deal expires and he gets a job as an assistant with another team, the Dolphins would only have to pay him the difference of the two contracts.

Before this season, Ross said he wanted to see progress from Philbin before deciding whether he’d even last the remainder of his current contract.

But then Ross made the surprising move to announce Philbin’s return after a Dec. 21 win against Minnesota. The Dolphins finished 8-8 this season, the same record as a year ago.

It’s seemingly a playoff-or-bust year for Philbin in 2015.

The Dolphins shook up their front office this week, hiring former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum as the team’s vice president of football operations.

Philbin will still report directly to Ross but Tannenbaum is now the front office’s top executive and will have the ear of Ross.

I think you you've got it wrong.

I believe Woody realized that he has made errors in the past. His actions prove this to me: He went out and hired Casserly and Wolf so he could have some expert guidance to help him through the hiring process. By all accounts, the process has been very thorough. That said, no doubt they heavily influenced who was on the list of names compiled for interviews. While I think their opinions would certainly influence Woody heavily, I believe the ultimate decision was Woody's.

And how else would you have it? Without their influence, Woody would have made his choice in a vacuum. Is that what you really want?

I have great faith (for once) that they let the process unfold and it lead to a smart choice. Does that mean it will work out? No. But I think it gives us a fighting chance and I like that.

You're agreeing with me. I'm content with the hire specifically because of the influence of Casserly and Wolf.

^No ink on that Philbin deal means he better sleep with one eye open until Quinn signs with the Jets. Tannenbaum is a weasel extraordinaire.

Meh. They'd have to quickly fire Philbin and comply with the Rooney Rule all in Tannenbaum's first official day on the job. This is way down on my list of worries.

What makes you say that? I don't think you can count a guy like DeCosta, who was never going anywhere. They seemed to zero in on Maccagnon pretty quickly. He's a Casserly protégé, and Wolf gave a fast stamp of approval.

+1 on Idzik.

I'd say Decosta was #1, Paton was #2, kirchner or the guy who went to Washington was possibly #3.  

Just because guys passed doesn't mean they weren't better candidates.   The fact that the Jets are going with someone familiar to Casserly is a little worrisome.    I'm always concerned when I see a hiring decision made by familiarity rather than talent or accomplishment. 

Probably until after the draft. That's when front offices generally start making real changes. Unless they get Quinn's guy from Tampa in as a personnel guy.

The Jets either have to keep Bradway,, his staff and their work product intact through the draft, or bring in someone else who has done much the same work. Let's assume among 32 teams there are may be if you figure chief of scouts and his top assitant 60+ people with that kind of grasp of this year's draft. That means Bradyway stays at least for now.

The Jets either have to keep Bradway,, his staff and their work product intact through the draft, or bring in someone else who has done much the same work. Let's assume among 32 teams there are may be if you figure chief of scouts and his top assitant 60+ people with that kind of grasp of this year's draft. That means Bradyway stays at least for now.

They should have listened to Bradway when he was pounding the table for Wilson.. 

Could they not just can Bradway right now, and the rest later?

You're agreeing with me. I'm content with the hire specifically because of the influence of Casserly and Wolf.

Meh. They'd have to quickly fire Philbin and comply with the Rooney Rule all in Tannenbaum's first official day on the job. This is way down on my list of worries.

You're right. I missed only one single letter and it completely changed the meaning of your statement:

"I have a little faith in Casserly and Wolf coming to the conclusion on Maccagnon"

Sorry.

Archived