Rex already tempering re: Revis

DaBallhawk

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets are the only team in the NFL that has the perception that the Coach is also the GM.  You never hear about Tom Coughlin being connected the personnel decisions with the Giants - all they talk about is Jerry Reese making the moves.

He gets the 2 Bowl wins pass you should know that..LOL

The Jets are the only team in the NFL that has this perception that the Coach is also the GM.  You never hear about Tom Coughlin being connected the personnel decisions with the Giants - all they talk about is Jerry Reese making the moves.

You don't hear about Chuck Pagano making draft decisions for the Colts.

Interesting. Probably because we hire numbers guys and we fans assume the coah need be involved.

In 2009 with no QB, Rex reached the AFFC and was probably a healthy Shonn Greene away from reaching the SB.  In 2013, the Jets roster was so awful playing behind  a rookie QB that ESPN ranked them 32nd in the league and gave them two wins in the season.  Yet they finished with an 8-8 record.  Even with a horrible roster put together by Idzik this past season, they were a very competitive football team and a player away from having a double digit in the W column.

So in your world, Rex gets all the credit for success and no blame for failure. Ridiculous.

I think he assembled a great roster 97-2000' but there were a lot of trades and free agents. But he did draft some outstanding players.

And in Dallas he found an undrafted QB who has become a top 10 guy, and two future HOF'ers in Ware and Whitten.

Why do you think he is so bad at talent evaluation?

I was talking about the Tuna as the Jet HC/GM.. He was better with Dallas but the real GM was Jerry Jones..

Say what you will about the "TUNA"....But he put a sinking ship afloat and in the right direction......"PERIOD"....Unfortunetly  Leon's light bulb went off late in his life.Had he brought him aboard sooner...We would have a few Lombardi's..... 

Say what you will about the "TUNA"....But he put a sinking ship afloat and in the right direction......"PERIOD"....Unfortunetly  Leon's light bulb went off late in his life.Had he brought him aboard sooner...We would have a few Lombardi's..... 

We might have had some Lombardis if the Tuna would have guaranteed he would have taken Manning with the 1st pick in the draft in 1997.. I understand he was only coaching for 3 years and didn't want to deal with a rookie QB but it hurt the franchise in the long run which he didn't care about.. BTW does Sparano get credit for turning around the 1-15 Bills in 2008??

We've said it before, but the poor play down the stretch in '98 in Denver will always haunt me.  That team was stacked and should have won it all.   

We probably go back to the Super Bowl in '99 if Vinny doesn't rupture his Achilles.

We might have had some Lombardis if the Tuna would have guaranteed he would have taken Manning with the 1st pick in the draft in 1997.. I understand he was only coaching for 3 years and didn't want to deal with a rookie QB but it hurt the franchise in the long run which he didn't care about.. BTW does Sparano get credit for turning around the 1-15 Bills in 2008??

Never happened.

Also after Peyton's Junior year at Tennesee coach Parcell's sat with archie Manning for hour's trying to persuade himto declare himself where the Jet's as is alway's the case woulda coulda shoulda pounced on him..Interesting article on future hall of fame inductee ron Wolf who spent 17 mos in our drafting department. Had a deal with the arizona cardinal's in place to move up to grab a rookie Brett Favre....But as being the case when your a Jet fan the guy arizona coveted was still on the board..alas..browning Nagle...............

My problem is why folks were/are so intensely vested in Rex and his reputation.  We saw what the guy did to this organization over the last six years.  Yeah, there were some good times, but look at the smoldering ashes around us.  It's going to take years to rebuild this thing.

Sure, I blame Woody, Tannendunce and Idiotzik for a good measure of our failure.  But to absolve Rex from any of the dysfunction is, IMO, a head in the sand mentality.  

It will not take years to rebuild this 'thing'. With next year's schedule and very few additions to the roster we should easily be able to get to 8-8 

Archie, Peyton, Parcells. They all say it never happened.

What they said was they were never approached and that is true.. The part that everyone leaves out was what his Mother said.. Peyton was interested but he wanted to know before April and when he didn't hear anything he went back to school.. 

What they said was they were never approached and that is true.. The part that everyone leaves out was what his Mother said.. Peyton was interested but he wanted to know before April and when he didn't hear anything he went back to school..

They're on video. Peyton says he was going back to school. Archie says that it didn't take Peyton long to make the decision because he wanted to go back and beat Spurrier and win the conference.

Yeah me too. He did really well with the Jets and if Jones is the real GM then why did they struggle so much before and after Parcells?

Before?? They won bowls before the Tuna was there.. They sucked when Dave Campo was the HC plus they had a coked out Quincy Carter as the QB. They went 13-3 after the Tuna left??

Man, that Wade Phillips must be an awesome coach.

You know who was on the Giants when the Tuna took over in 1983?? LT,Simms,Harry Carson,Joe Morris,Jim Burt, etc Man that Tuna is a awesome coach of course he only won 3 games but they were great wins.. It's so easy to play these games Tommy boy and BTW the Tuna is my favorite Jet coach and I go back to when the team started..

You know who was on the Giants when the Tuna took over in 1983?? LT,Simms,Harry Carson,Joe Morris,Jim Burt, etc Man that Tuna is a awesome coach of course he only won 3 games but they were great wins.. It's so easy to play these games Tommy boy and BTW the Tuna is my favorite Jet coach and I go back to when the team started..

Boy then look at what poor ray Handley got left with in 91. They were a stacked 8-8 team.

Mangini's not the worst coach in Jets history.

That would be Kotite. 

Most frustrating would be Joe Walton and Herm Edwards. Both were handed teams that were primed for a few years of good shots at a title. And managed to eff it up with scared stupidity. Ryan is right there, and while he was a good defensive coach he was limited when it came to offense. Would rather have O'Brien/Ryan or Testaverde/ presurgery Pennington than Sanchez. The less said about Smith the better. As bad an offensive coach as Ryan is he didn't really have a QB. Not that he would've known what to do with a  real QB or cared. Give Rex Ryan Vinny Testaverde and he'd get pissed about INTs 40 yards upfield. Which is why Parcells was a great coach; don't obsess over what a player can't do, what can he do for you. Not saying Parcells is god or perfect merely a way better coach than anyone else that's been here. 

That would be Kotite. 

Most frustrating would be Joe Walton and Herm Edwards. Both were handed teams that were primed for a few years of good shots at a title. And managed to eff it up with scared stupidity. Ryan is right there, and while he was a good defensive coach he was limited when it came to offense. Would rather have O'Brien/Ryan or Testaverde/ presurgery Pennington than Sanchez. The less said about Smith the better. As bad an offensive coach as Ryan is he didn't really have a QB. Not that he would've known what to do with a  real QB or cared. Give Rex Ryan Vinny Testaverde and he'd get pissed about INTs 40 yards upfield. Which is why Parcells was a great coach; don't obsess over what a player can't do, what can he do for you. Not saying Parcells is god or perfect merely a way better coach than anyone else that's been here. 

And you know that how??When Kotite had a QB he went 11-5 with the Eagles and won a playoff game something Mangini never did..

Archived