AFJF

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nothing in football is more reliable than YouTube research."

- Bill Walsh

"I realize highlight reels don't tell the whole story"

-AirForceJetFan in the OP of this thread

How does Mariota stack up against Bridgewater?  Because if he is anywhere close to Bridgewater or better then you absolutely draft him if he is there at 6.  Jets should have pulled the trigger on Bridgewater last year but it was too soon (politically speaking).  

How does Mariota stack up against Bridgewater? Because if he is anywhere close to Bridgewater or better then you absolutely draft him if he is there at 6. Jets should have pulled the trigger on Bridgewater last year but it was too soon (politically speaking).

Bridgewater was/is a significantly better passer. Stronger arm, much more accurate. Mariota is the better athlete.

We can't wait around for Mariota to develop- I don't see him being a starter in the next 4-5 years.  If Winston is on the board at 6 (which he won't be) then we can use our pick to take him otherwise we cannot afford to use a 1st round pick on a QB.

We've waited 46 years...... Not sure why you feel he needs 4 years.

If he's there at 6 decisions have to be made,but I know which route I would be going if it was me.

Its a hard one for me. I dont think he's a bad player, he just hasn't wow'd me. Even with his problems, I think Winston is head and shoulders above Mariota simply as a pure QB. If you take Mariota out of that system and shut down his ability to run what would you have? Would it resemble a quarterback? I simply dont know the answer to the question.

I want to trade down in this draft, if not with Philly then maybe with another team that needs a QB like Houston or maybe even Cleveland.  I prefer to trade with Tampa for Glennon given that a QB is pretty much a lock for them in the draft. 

Its a hard one for me. I dont think he's a bad player, he just hasn't wow'd me. Even with his problems, I think Winston is head and shoulders above Mariota simply as a pure QB. If you take Mariota out of that system and shut down his ability to run what would you have? Would it resemble a quarterback? I simply dont know the answer to the question.

I want to trade down in this draft, if not with Philly then maybe with another team that needs a QB like Houston or maybe even Cleveland. I prefer to trade with Tampa for Glennon given that a QB is pretty much a lock for them in the draft.

This

I want to trade down in this draft, if not with Philly then maybe with another team that needs a QB like Houston or maybe even Cleveland.  I prefer to trade with Tampa for Glennon given that a QB is pretty much a lock for them in the draft. 

that's my point if he is available at 6 shop the pick and start a bidding war with the Rams,Browns and Eagles

I think it's a hard criteria to accomplish because you don't know how much the system helps him.  It's not really his fault that there are open WRs and he's hitting them, not sure how we can discard that as a disability without being biased about our preconceived notions of Mariota or any QB.   I think if we followed the same criteria with say Geno Smith (Baylor game) or EJ Manuel (Clemson), we would see signature games as well.  It's not like that helped them much in the NFL.   I think Mariota is a special case in that you have to combine scouting with stats, can't really eliminate both.  

I think the questions to answer for Mariota are going to be his intellect on the field, his arm strength, and his ability to read the field.  I think his arm strength is going to be fine, he's a lanky guy, but most of these guys tend to bulk up a lot more once they get to the NFL so I'm not too worried about him being Chad Pennington type thrower.  I think he has more than enough arm strength to be a good QB.  And I think he's pretty smart person overall.  His ability to read the field can't really be defined by anything that we can watch in highlight tapes, without knowing the call as well, and breaking down considerable tape.  Just because we think WR B as open, the progression on that pass may have been A, C, D, and then B.  I think scouts with enough time on their hands can go through it, but I really doubt too many amateur guys will be providing a definite answer on it without mostly guessing. 

I'm not saying he's a lock to be a sure fire No. 1 starter, but I think the potential is there for him to be a stud.  He has all the tools that you need, and unless we can see areas where he's failing as a prospect in making the right read, then I'm not sure there is going to be any evidence one way or another to prove it.  

I think it's a hard criteria to accomplish because you don't know how much the system helps him. It's not really his fault that there are open WRs and he's hitting them, not sure how we can discard that as a disability without being biased about our preconceived notions of Mariota or any QB. I think if we followed the same criteria with say Geno Smith (Baylor game) or EJ Manuel (Clemson), we would see signature games as well. It's not like that helped them much in the NFL. I think Mariota is a special case in that you have to combine scouting with stats, can't really eliminate both.

I think the questions to answer for Mariota are going to be his intellect on the field, his arm strength, and his ability to read the field. I think his arm strength is going to be fine, he's a lanky guy, but most of these guys tend to bulk up a lot more once they get to the NFL so I'm not too worried about him being Chad Pennington type thrower. I think he has more than enough arm strength to be a good QB. And I think he's pretty smart person overall. His ability to read the field can't really be defined by anything that we can watch in highlight tapes, without knowing the call as well, and breaking down considerable tape. Just because we think WR B as open, the progression on that pass may have been A, C, D, and then B. I think scouts with enough time on their hands can go through it, but I really doubt too many amateur guys will be providing a definite answer on it without mostly guessing.

I'm not saying he's a lock to be a sure fire No. 1 starter, but I think the potential is there for him to be a stud. He has all the tools that you need, and unless we can see areas where he's failing as a prospect in making the right read, then I'm not sure there is going to be any evidence one way or another to prove it.

Great take, nice to see someone has a brain.

3 pages in, still no signature performance. No way in hell we should be drafting this guy at #6. The only reason why he's up that high is because of his Heisman trophy.

I'm sure Geno Toretta and Andre Ware posted some impressive college numbers too, and I'm not even saying I'm anti-Mariota, I'm saying that in the few games I saw him play in, I thought Winston looked like a much better player.

3 pages in, still no signature performance. No way in hell we should be drafting this guy at #6. The only reason why he's up that high is because of his Heisman trophy.

WTF is a signature performance? And wtf does a signature performance have to do with whether you draft a qb.

You look at his toolsets. You look at his skills. You look at hie ability to lead. You look at him as to how he can fit in what you are trying to do?

Signature performances are for ESPN Classic3.

But, do you take the chance with the red flags of character? 

Me, personally?  I wouldn't, but I also realized many GM's/fans only care about character when you're not good at football whereas I just hate hoping for good things to happen to bad people.  At this point, he looks like a franchise QB so I'd be surprised if TB didn't take him.

WTF is a signature performance? And wtf does a signature performance have to do with whether you draft a qb.

You look at his toolsets. You look at his skills. You look at hie ability to lead. You look at him as to how he can fit in what you are trying to do?

A signature performance is one in which all of those tools are put on display and you get the opportunity to see a player do all of the things you would expect them to be able to do if they're going to be the no. 6 pick.  That's what a signature performance is.

A signature performance is one in which all of those tools are put on display and you get the opportunity to see a player do all of the things you would expect them to be able to do if they're going to be the no. 6 pick.  That's what a signature performance is.

You mean like beating a top 5 Michigan State team, with a top 10 defense, and putting up over 300 yards, and rushing for 50 more.

Or beating a top 10 defense in Stanford, and accounting for 4 touchdowns personally?

Is that what you call this "signature".

Yeah, so many guys I see drafted, and the GM says "we really liked his signature games, that was what turned us around on him"

It sounds like made up fantasy type label. What stat exactly signifies signature performance?

Personally, I think that Mariota would fit well with the current Jet personnel. Receivers like Harvin and Kerly are going to have greatest success when they are able to break press coverage when a qb is getting on edge. mariota has shown tremendous ability to throw when his feet are on the move. 

I also like Mariota in the  pocket, where he stands tall and target Amaro. 

I would definitely want to improve the RT position.

Af=gain, I wish there was greater arm strength, but that is not who he is. He creates separation for his receivers by elongating plays and threatening the edge.

The Jets have never had a quarterback like this since Ray Lucas ( I mean combination of passing and run threat).

I've looked at all of that (look at my signature) and he looks like a guy that if he wasnt on Oregon and didnt win the Heisman would be considered a 2nd round prospect. And people are talking about taking him at #6. 

To answer you though, a signature performance has nothing to do with drafting a player, but it can show some insight on a player. There was a video done regarding Jameis Winston and it broke down his completion percentages along with his TD to INT ratio when trailing in a football game. The dude was f'ing lights out when trailing in a football game. Things like that shows why he's only lost 1 game in his collegiate career and though you may not use that video or stat to make a decision to draft a person, that ability to step his game up when trailing can certainly help whatever pro's you already had regarding him. He's done it enough for it to be a signature of his game, and if you can get something similar at the pro level then he could help make the decision of pulling the trigger or not. 

And I didnt see that video on ESPN Classic 3, it was on Youtube. 

You mean like beating a top 5 Michigan State team, with a top 10 defense, and putting up over 300 yards, and rushing for 50 more.

Or beating a top 10 defense in Stanford, and accounting for 4 touchdowns personally?

Is that what you call this "signature".

Yeah, so many guys I see drafted, and the GM says "we really liked his signature games, that was what turned us around on him"

It sounds like made up fantasy type label. What stat exactly signifies signature performance?

I'll see if I can find the full version of any of those games.  I'd love to see him make some of the throws Winston makes routinely because hey, who doesn't want to be excited about a guy that your favorite team is likely to pick in the draft.

Sorry you were unfamiliar with the term, I should have elaborated in the OP as  to what a signature performance is.

I'll see if I can find the full version of any of those games.  I'd love to see him make some of the throws Winston makes routinely because hey, who doesn't want to be excited about a guy that your favorite team is likely to pick in the draft.

Define signature performance, go ahead. 

I've looked at all of that (look at my signature) and he looks like a guy that if he wasnt on Oregon and didnt win the Heisman would be considered a 2nd round prospect. And people are talking about taking him at #6. 

To answer you though, a signature performance has nothing to do with drafting a player, but it can show some insight on a player. There was a video done regarding Jameis Winston and it broke down his completion percentages along with his TD to INT ratio when trailing in a football game. The dude was f'ing lights out when trailing in a football game. Things like that shows why he's only lost 1 game in his collegiate career and though you may not use that video or stat to make a decision to draft a person, that ability to step his game up when trailing can certainly help whatever pro's you already had regarding him. He's done it enough for it to be a signature of his game, and if you can get something similar at the pro level then he could help make the decision of pulling the trigger or not. 

And I didnt see that video on ESPN Classic 3, it was on Youtube. 

Exactly...you can never use one game to evaluate a player but it would be nice to see  that they have the ability to do all of the things you'd want them to do.  If the Jets pick him and he can't beat tight coverage, everyone who loves him now is going to say "SOJ, drafted a guy from a gimmick offense in college and we all knew couldn't make precision throws"

Archived