Expect the Jets to Blitz - A lot.

Patriot Killa

http://www.wsj.com/articles/get-ready-for-the-jets-to-blitza-lot-1422061925

New head coach Todd Bowles, who was the defensive coordinator in Arizona the past two seasons, has actually been the most aggressive signal-caller in the game since 2013. His former team blitzed on a league-leading 43.5% of pass plays in those two years, while Ryan’s Jets ranked 11th in blitz rate at 31.7%.

On Friday, Bowles hired Kacy Rodgers as his new defensive coordinator. Rodgers comes over from Dolphins, who also have blitzed more frequently (34.5% of pass plays)

Rodgers, who was the Dolphins’ defensive-line coach, has been a part of one of the league’s more effective blitzing defenses, too. Since 2013, quarterbacks have posted a passer rating of 75.4 against Dolphins blitzes, the fourth lowest rate in the NFL. Compare that to the 107.1 passer rating that quarterbacks compiled versus Jets’ blitzes and the 82.3 against Bowles’s Cardinals. Note that sacks are not factored into these ratings, though those are uncommon even when teams send the house.

The Jets’ defensive line is good at generating pressure, perhaps decreasing the need for blitzing. The defensive ends in the team’s 3-4 defense this past season, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson, were the third and 13th ranked pass rushers at the position, respectively, according to ProFootballFocus. Richardson’s nine sacks trailed only Houston’s J.J. Watt (21) among 3-4 ends.

This means we will have to sign or draft at least 2 LBs with speed long time coming

I think Paul Dawson from TCU would love to rush the QB in a Jets uniform. I really hope that we're able to trade back in the draft, unless for some reason Randy Gregory is available. I simply dont see it, but if he is then I'd take him at 6. Pick up that WR in the 2nd rd and hope that Paul Dawson is there in the 3rd. I think he's going to have a solid Combine though so the 3rd round may be a stretch.  

I think Paul Dawson from TCU would love to rush the QB in a Jets uniform. I really hope that we're able to trade back in the draft, unless for some reason Randy Gregory is available. I simply dont see it, but if he is then I'd take him at 6. Pick up that WR in the 2nd rd and hope that Paul Dawson is there in the 3rd. I think he's going to have a solid Combine though so the 3rd round maybe a stretch.  

No trading back BPA at 6 

No trading back BPA at 6 

Who are we going to miss on, Amari Cooper? We have alot of holes on the team and there's value though out this draft. What if we were able to trade with clevlend for their 12th and 19th picks in the 1st round, or maybe their 12th pick, 2nd rounder and 4th rounder? I'd pull the trigger on either one. 

What guy are you eyeing at 6? The only two guys that I would stay at 6 for is Jameis Winston and Randy Gregory, and there's no way in the world that Winston makes it to us. 

Bryan Maxwell and Cromartie would be nice corner signings if Revis stays in NE. That with the signing of someone like Sam Acho or Brooks Reed. Coples could stay at OLB if he continues to impress.. most of everyone here was disappointed with QC but I seen some impressive things.

I would do what you stated and wouldnt even think about signing Revis. There's alot of unproven talent on our team. I say sign Maxwell to a 4-5 year deal, sign Cro to a 2 year deal. That will save us money to put into other positions as well as give us time to see if our current CB's pan out to ultimately replace Cro (Milliner, McDougal etc.). If they pan out great, if not then we have the opportunity to draft again or hit free agency. Besides, Revis will be 30 by the time the season starts and I would love to see that amount of money spent on younger guys such as Wilkerson if we're going to in fact give up contracts like that. I wouldnt like to sign Wilkerson for anything more than 9 to 10 million a year simply because I feel that Coples isn't that bad, but if I had to pick between giving that money to a 30 year old Revis, which best days are probably behind him, or a 25 year old Wilkerson in his prime, I'd give the money to Mo and take my chances again with the secondary knowing that I maximized my cash by signing a guy thats in his prime years. We should have given Revis that money 3 years ago. Its too late now. 

No, it means you better sign/draft two very good CB's who can cover one on one.

Good QB's eat blitzes alive.

The most impressive thing about Tom Brady is how effective is has been with two small receivers.  IMO, the JETS could never have developed Amendola and or Edelman.

Agreed...  CB position need be solid.

I would do what you stated and wouldnt even think about signing Revis. There's alot of unproven talent on our team. I say sign Maxwell to a 4-5 year deal, sign Cro to a 2 year deal. That will save us money to put into other positions as well as give us time to see if our current CB's pan out to ultimately replace Cro (Milliner, McDougal etc.). If they pan out great, if not then we have the opportunity to draft again or hit free agency. Besides, Revis will be 30 by the time the season starts and I would love to see that amount of money spent on younger guys such as Wilkerson if we're going to in fact give up contracts like that. I wouldnt like to sign Wilkerson for anything more than 9 to 10 million a year simply because I feel that Coples isn't that bad, but if I had to pick between giving that money to a 30 year old Revis, which best days are probably behind him, or a 25 year old Wilkerson in his prime, I'd give the money to Mo and take my chances again with the secondary knowing that I maximized my cash by signing a guy thats in his prime years. We should have given Revis that money 3 years ago. Its too late now.

That's true. Revis will be getting up there in age soon. After his next contract he may not get another one. So I expect him to be more aggressive than ever in contract negotiations.

I never think about signing Revis, unless he comes for about 8 million.  I can see why coaches love Revis.  He does not even need coaching.  But I am not spending a huge percentage of my cap on a guy who covers one man.  Good QBs can beat us by going away from him 95% of the time.  Multiple receiver sets make him even less important.  Get a solid guy, disguise your coverages well, and sign guys who get to the QB.  Give those guys the money.

That's true. Revis will be getting up there in age soon. After his next contract he may not get another one. So I expect him to be more aggressive than ever in contract negotiations.

True. I also think that he'll be staying in New England. Bill Belichick is going to convince Revis to take a lower salary and his reasoning will be Tom Brady. Brady has taken salary cuts for the team before and Belichick will explain to him how doing that ultimately put him in position of being the greatest QB of the Modern era along with SB victories, which besides money is the other thing you're chasing, as well as cement himself as a HOF'er as a Patriot. If Revis leaves again and goes to another team not named the Jets or Pats and plays the tail end of his career, when you speak about the HOF which team does he go under, the team that he played his firs 6 years with, but didnt play his last 6 with? 

Belichick will tell him that for as long as he's coaching and Brady is throwing the ball that he will have the chance to win it all as we as cement himself as possibly the greatest shutdown corner of the modern era, like Brady is at QB. He will offer him a respectable contract and I think Revis will take it....atleast I hope so in order for the Jets not to possibly fall on their face giving this guy the money 3 years after the fact. I really dont thin he'll leave NE though. 

I never think about signing Revis, unless he comes for about 8 million.  I can see why coaches love Revis.  He does not even need coaching.  But I am not spending a huge percentage of my cap on a guy who covers one man.  Good QBs can beat us by going away from him 95% of the time.  Multiple receiver sets make him even less important.  Get a solid guy, disguise your coverages well, and sign guys who get to the QB.  Give those guys the money.

I understand what you're saying but if I can have a QB disregard half of the field because of 1 guy then I prefer that because that will give the defense an advantage. A good QB could still beat you by ignoring one half of the field 95% of the time, but your chances of beating that QB does go up dramatically in that situation as well. Its not like the QB's chances gets better in a situation like that. 

I understand why a team would want to pay alot of money for such a thing, but I'd rather give that money to a Sherman than a Revis given their age. 

We have not had a pass rusher since abraham in 2006. The time has come. Find someone who can get to the qb.

Agreed!

There are some guys flying under the radar that I believe could be spectacular playing with our front.

One of them is Brandon Graham. He always stood out to me watching Eagles games. A complete player with a really nice burst when he gets a bead on a player & he's a sure tackler.

Cut Pace & Babin & sign Graham and I'm a happy Jet fan.

Who are we going to miss on, Amari Cooper? We have alot of holes on the team and there's value though out this draft. What if we were able to trade with clevlend for their 12th and 19th picks in the 1st round, or maybe their 12th pick, 2nd rounder and 4th rounder? I'd pull the trigger on either one. 

What guy are you eyeing at 6? The only two guys that I would stay at 6 for is Jameis Winston and Randy Gregory, and there's no way in the world that Winston makes it to us. 

Draft picks aren't sure things we've been down that road many times before at 6 you have a better chance of signing an immediate impact player who can start immediately BPA is what I'm sticking to at 6 no trades. 

Draft picks aren't sure things we've been down that road many times before at 6 you have a better chance of signing an immediate impact player who can start immediately BPA is what I'm sticking to at 6 no trades. 

BPA aren't sure things either my friend. If we all knew who was the best player available I would bet money that the Bills would have held their position and drafted Odell Beckham given that he was the best player available at the position. Maybe the Jaguars would have drafted Bridgewater or Carr instead of Bortles because both QB's look better than Bortles. 

Neither of us knows, so you simply go with your feeling. I dont feel that Amari Cooper is worth a #6 pick when I can get a Parker or White with the 12th pick or a Jaelen Strong with the 19th pick...all guys that I would be comfortable with. Its about comfortability with your picks, not BPA. We just tried that with Idzik just last year. Just my opinion brother. 

BPA aren't sure things either my friend. If we all knew who was the best player available I would bet money that the Bills would have held their position and drafted Odell Beckham given that he was the best player available at the position. Maybe the Jaguars would have drafted Bridgewater or Carr instead of Bortles because both QB's look better than Bortles. 

Neither of us knows, so you simply go with your feeling. I dont feel that Amari Cooper is worth a #6 pick when I can get a Parker or White with the 12th pick or a Jaelen Strong with the 19th pick...all guys that I would be comfortable with. Its about comfortability with your picks, not BPA. We just tried that with Idzik just last year. Just my opinion brother. 

The ghosts of Jets pasts there are many of them. New scouts new talent evaluators no one can be as bad as the previous regime BPA at 6 

I understand what you're saying but if I can have a QB disregard half of the field because of 1 guy then I prefer that because that will give the defense an advantage. A good QB could still beat you by ignoring one half of the field 95% of the time, but your chances of beating that QB does go up dramatically in that situation as well. Its not like the QB's chances gets better in a situation like that. 

I understand why a team would want to pay alot of money for such a thing, but I'd rather give that money to a Sherman than a Revis given their age. 

The point is that Revis does not cover half the field.  He covers one guy. You can take him completely out of the play by design.  And in this age of 3,4 and 5 receiver sets, you have lots of options, so no, he does not take half the field away.  That is just Rex bloviating when he used to say stuff like that.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I love a blitzing defense.

in this day and age, you have to attack the QB.  It is the only path, particularly against really good QBs.  When they lose, you usually find it out is because they have been sitting on their ass a lot during the game.

The point is that Revis does not cover half the field.  He covers one guy. You can take him completely out of the play by design.  And in this age of 3,4 and 5 receiver sets, you have lots of options, so no, he does not take half the field away.  That is just Rex bloviating when he used to say stuff like that.

Whether half the field or one guy,....you ultimately understood my point. I'd love to have the offensive coordinator for the Lions say "Hey, we're going to game plan today where we use Megatron as a decoy to take the Jets corner out of the game". That also takes Megatron out of the game. And If my best 1 guy on defense can take away your best one guy on offense then based on the fact that the game is won by points I feel that its an advantage for us. No matter what scheme they put together, it wouldnt be as good if they were able to use one that included Megatron. 

Im not saying this as some message to sign Revis. This is simply general. In the age of 3, 4 and 5 receiver sets, having the knowledge that the #1 receiver is irrelevant on 95% of these plays will allow me to do things with my linebackers and/or safeties that I may not have been able to do if I had to worry about helping that CB with Megatron. I see what you're saying, but having a shutdown corner that can take away that top target can still do wonders for the other 10 guys that have to play the rest of the field. If it didnt matter or wasnt as important we'd know it. 

Archived