Winston bandwagon

SonnyJet

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mariota just throws to the receiver in the flat or tag passes. He's a one read qb. I don't care how nice a guy he is if he plays on a team like the jets where he's expected to play under center and go through progressions he will be a disaster

He can show up to practice 10 hours early and recite the pledge of allegiance while running on a treadmill at 12.0 mph for 2 hours unless he goes to the eagles he is going to struggle bigtime

You're right. Mariota might fail. A real possibility. So let's try this a different way. The chances of failure are greater for an immature, volatile, trouble magnet. AKA Jameis Winston.

Seriously, if you have such a hard on for a receiver in this draft, we should draft Beckham in the 2nd. Give him the Bryant treatment and pay a guy to follow him around.

As it regards the sixth overall pick, I'd prioritize a receiver, and Cooper (imo) seems to be the best one.

Jameis was a 4.0 student in High School.  Based on his college performance, that was most certainly a legit 4.0.  He was a top notch student.  You can tell. He's very articulate.  And you know the state of Alabama doesnt give preferential treatment to their High School Football stars.

Very tough to evaluate these QBs'  The times I watched them they both looked very good this past year and at times so so.  Winston looks like a pro QB as far as keeping his eyes down field and his style of play but his ints are a major concern 25 tds and 18 ints is not good.  Mistakes get multiplied in the pros.

I like Mariota and think his arm is good enough and he could be very good but you better make sure the OC and HC are fully on board with drafting up an offense that plays to his strengths.

This is one year I really have no clue what the league in general thinks of these guys let alone the Jets.  Nothing would surpr5ise me come draft day.  They could both be gone or both be there at 6 and I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

If given a choice of Winston and Mariota, i think I would choose Mariota. It would be a tough decision, but I like what I've seen from Marcus. He has all the tools to be a franchise Qb, and is a great kid. For the Jets' sake I hope the 5 teams in front of them disagree with me

Marital has all the tools, except the arm, accuracy, pocket presence, and the ability to make more than one read before taking off to run. But yeah, I'd prefer him over geno.

Yes let us take a guy at six who isn't as good as Mike Evans, Benjamin, or Watkins. Sounds legit, awesome value their.

Yeah all Cooper did was have 124 catches for 1,700 yards and 16tds in the best conference in college football but yeah I take ur word for it he sucks

Jameis was a 4.0 student in High School. Based on his college performance, that was most certainly a legit 4.0. He was a top notch student. You can tell. He's very articulate. And you know the state of Alabama doesnt give preferential treatment to their High School Football stars.

Yeah your right let's make Matt Moore the face of the franchise because he went 6-6 as a starter 4 years ago

Gap Closed

Give me a 3rd year Geno over rookie Mariota any day of the week 

Geno has some physical talent but is sloooooooow to read defenses, which makes OC's have to scale down their playbook for him. Plus, he doesn't read blitzes well enough to adjust blocking patterns or simply change out of a bad play. Damn fool cost us the second Patriots game when he failed to see what everyone in the house saw - an all out blitz - and he took a sack rather than audible out of the play and save the FG attempt. Geno is worse than Mark Sanchez ever was and doesn't work hard enough to improve. 

If given a choice of Winston and Mariota, i think I would choose Mariota. It would be a tough decision, but I like what I've seen from Marcus. He has all the tools to be a franchise Qb, and is a great kid. For the Jets' sake I hope the 5 teams in front of them disagree with me

Oh man I hope this is Jason Licht

Geno has some physical talent but is sloooooooow to read defenses, which makes OC's have to scale down their playbook for him. Plus, he doesn't read blitzes well enough to adjust blocking patterns or simply change out of a bad play. Damn fool cost us the second Patriots game when he failed to see what everyone in the house saw - an all out blitz - and he took a sack rather than audible out of the play and save the FG attempt. Geno is worse than Mark Sanchez ever was and doesn't work hard enough to improve. 

Ok. Regardless of your opinion of Geno, Mariota is never going to be a starter in the NFL.  He's Johnny Manziel without the off the field distractions.  Nearly the same prospect.  

14830.png

Jason La Canfora
CBS Sports NFL Insider

2015 NFL Draft: Combine will be hell for Jameis Winston, but he will rise February 13, 2015 12:14 pm ET

Come with me while I gaze into a crystal ball. I'm about to glimpse the future. Only it's a story, sadly, from the past, that will be retold. For some things never really change, especially when it comes to the odious pre-draft process in the NFL, which often remains a slog through negativity, a slow trudge through the lowest-common denominator of anonymous character assassinations of 20-year old kids and thinly-veiled racism.

It's an ugly ride, for sure, but one that we'll all be a party to, at least to some degree, with the NFL combine now just a few days away and the inevitable circus of questions and cameras and inquiries about to begin. Jameis Winston, to be sure, will be at the center of all of this -- a human target, unfortunately about to be flogged by scouts and quasi-scouts and Internet-wannabe-scouts and Twitter-scouts -- and someone who undoubtedly brought this inquisition upon himself at least to some degree by getting entangled in various off-field situations.

But a kid, still, who just turned 21 last month, who will be a human pincushion the next few months as "adults" try to gain exposure or notoriety at his expense, and a kid who will be at the epicenter of the under-side of the big business that the pre-draft process has become. And, most importantly, he's a young man who, when all is said and done, will rise above.

But it will get worse before it gets better for Winston.

Soon enough, everyone will want a piece of him, the hordes of cameras and press at the combine, the teams interviewing him and asking uncomfortable questions of him in hotel suites in Indianapolis. It's part of the process, alas, but it can become quite unprofessional and fairly brutal all the way around. So let me clue you in on how it's going to go, because I believe there will be a silver lining, at the end, for Winston, though he will absorb much before then.

A week from now, the knives will be out. It will be like Cam Newton and Michael Sam and Johnny Manziel and Ryan Mallet and so many others who came before him in recent years. A tidal wave of humanity will try to follow Winston around Lucas Oil Stadium and he will be under intense scrutiny and it will be open season upon the young man. He will have little recourse to fight back and he will be caught up in the undertow of what is swirling around him. Every two-bit faux scout who ever lived will be able to find someone who claims to have known or scouted Winston to rip the kid and attack him on every level possible - mental, physical, spiritual, you name it.

That's how it goes in this pre-draft charade.

img25067878.jpgJameis Winston is in for an uncomfortable combine inquisition.(USATSI)

Next week in Indianapolis, and the few weeks to follow will be bad. Character assaults will be the norm and Winston's legal problems at Florida State and his high interception totals and him being suspended for the season opener will create a climate of anything goes. And, I believe, in the end, ultimately, hopefully, none of what is uttered or written by those on the periphery will amount to nothing much. So much of the crap that's slung around eventually gets peeled away, layer by layer, as the face-to-face elements of this process play out and owners get to know these players and deeper dives into their makeup and background get completed.

Then, eventually this spring, Winston will get through his pro day and he will start making individual visits to teams, and he will begin to create his own reality with these decisions makers, away from and beyond the scope of the petty low swings that will have been taken at him. And this is when he will shine.

Too many people who I know and trust who know him too well -- the real him; the behind-the-scenes him; the meeting-room him and the practice field him and the locker-room him -- have vouched for him for me to believe Winston is not a franchise-wrecker.

What he is, I've been told, is a driven leader, a gym rat, a football lover who has been steeped in an NFL-style offense. He reads defenses well and he's asked to run Jimbo Fisher's demanding pro style offense where nothing less than excellence is tolerated. And Fisher will be a tremendous advocate for him, and has already told any NFL type who asks exactly what he thinks of this kid and his ability to win games at the next level.

img25067910.jpgJameis Winston has no bigger advocate than demanding Jimbo Fisher. (Getty Images)

Winston has been a man among boys since the moment he got on campus -- someone who some in that program believe may have found a way to unseat an upper-classman EJ Manuel had the timing been different – and someone who has exuded the kind of performance, production, intangibles and perseverance that comes with a prospect worthy of being the first-overall pick in the draft.

He isn't perfect, far from it, but his potential and upside are startling, and he's the closest thing, by far, to a can't-miss quarterback in this draft, from what I hear.

He threw too many picks this season and made his share of mistakes. He is goofy and immature in some of the same ways that Newton was, but without the moodiness. His biggest distraction is, honestly, baseball, and a belief he could be a two-sport star. That might give some teams trepidation, but in the big picture, is a momentary blip, one that will be overcome once he gets in the huddle for the first time in a preseason game with the fortunes of an NFL franchise in his hands and men depending on him for their financial wherewithal surrounding him.

As coaches put Winston on the board, and make him diagram film and draw up plays and dissect opposing schemes and explain why he threw this ball there or that ball there, he will impress. He will be prepared, mentally and physically, for this challenge. As owners spend time having dinner with him in five-star restaurants and being around him socially, they will find that while he is young and far from fully polished, he is a kid they can relate to, one who has a certain charisma and gravitas to him, one who they are comfortable with.

Winston will begin to tell his own tale, create his own narrative as the boundary between amateur and professional becomes increasingly blurred, and he will rise in esteem. His film will show him to be better evolved and more pro-ready than anyone else playing his position in this limited quarterback draft class. He will look, as March turns to April and April turns to May, more and more like the consensus pick for the first-overall pick.

He will be, I strongly suspect, the player that Tampa Bay selects with that very selection, and one who, once off the board, makes Tennessee, with the second-overall pick, even more open to trading down rather than taking Marcus Mariota, Oregon's quarterback, with that spot.

Winston will rise and shine the deeper teams get into exploring what he is all about. He will look, more and more, the part. And he will have a strong rookie season with the Bucs, with some decent offensive talent around him, and he will save Lovie Smith's job and engender some positivity and hope in a franchise that has been fairly dormant for quite some time. (And we can debate whether or not the Bucs should use that first pick or even use it on a quarterback, but in the end, job security generally reigns and Smith knows that a promising rookie quarterback has bought many a coaching staff another year or two on the job even despite another losing season.)

Winston will rise above a process that so many will utilize to drag him down, and then a year from now, another glorified teenager will find himself in a similar scenario, the story of the combine, and it will all begin anew. And, I sincerely hope, in the end it will end up being more a function of the folly of those on the outside -- those jealous and jaded and jaundiced -- than a reflection of what decisions the teams and their executives will make when we eventually survive this early stage of the now-endless draft period and thankfully reach a point where players are walking to the stage and donning hats and jerseys.

OMFG you did not jest compare those two

Cooper is head and shoulders above Lee

Says ******* who, before Lee got killed by Kiffin, he was considered the best wr in the draft. Not to mention a lot of comparisons for Cooper going around are to Lee. So once again, would you take Lee at 6, cause that's what your getting in Cooper.

Archived