Best Thing Coming Out Of The Combine ...

KRL

I didn't think Gholston did so great at the combine.  He did what was expected.  He didn't wow me like Patrick Willis or some of the others. Sherman ran in the mid to low 4.5s.  I know it doesn't affect your point, but people will quote this and it will become "fact" like Jerry Rice's 4.7 (really in the 4.5s) or Fitzgerald's 4.7 (he didn't run).

Jerry Rice ran a 4.6.

I won't knoiw how to behave or what to do with myself if the Jets take a WR at 6. 

I don't understand this mentality; if the best player at 6 is a wide out, which is very possible, why would that be a problem?  Especially when many of the top receivers in this draft are ranked just has high or higher than last years (which was the best wr class in a decade.)

Looking back at the 2008 draft we were #6 and there
were five players that were "chalk":

Jake Long
Matt Ryan
Chris Long
Darren Mcfadden
Glenn Dorsey

If I remember correctly the majority of fans wanted
Chris Long or Darren Mcfadden to fall to us.  Gholston
had gaudy stats but there was always a question about
his motor.  This draft appears to have a ton more options
for us at #6 this time around

I am usually a BPA guy, but I would be insanely pissed if we didn't draft a QB, WR or OLB at 6. 

I know nothing compared  to these guys, but does not the position a guy plays figure into whether he is the BPA?  Is BPA just the most measurable guy?  I think we should get the best guy to fit our needs.  And we should rate some positions over others.  For instance,  I would take the best OLB over the best SS.  Even if the best SS was higher on my board.

You are doing this to piss me off right?  Other than Boldin, those times are bullsh*t and Boldin was huge.  Fitzgerald didn't run and the reported time for Rice is one of those myths that get repeated so often they become "facts."  I wrote a long, researched post about this, possibly in response to this particular article.  Nothing against the author, he is quoting what is out there, but that does not make it factual.  That is not a source, it does not cite sources, and if it did they would be wrong. 

Fitzgerald did not run at the combine - there were numerous potential reasons, he may have been hurt or he may have been worried about his petition to the league wouldn't be accepted. He was only a Pitt a couple of years, but used some prep school to cover the other year out of high school and that was when Clarrett's suit was going strong.  He ran a 4.48 at his pro day, weighing 225.  There is some moronic site called nflcombineresults that routinely has the wrong numbers up and Wikipedia quotes it.  They have him at 4.63.  That is not a source. 

Jerry Rice did not fall because he was a slug.  He fell because he went to a small school and wasn't a rocket.  I think the Rice ran a 4.7 thing came from some quote where they said he ran a 4.7 but he got faster as the game went on.  I don't think anybody actually timed him at that.

Jarvis Landry is the guy you should be quoting for slow 40s.  He was solidly in the 4.7s (down to 4.61 at his pro day) and had a very solid rookie season.

Then how about #12, #44 and a 2016 2nd round pick? Maybe their QB coach fell in love with him when he worked him out the last few weeks.

Of course, knowing our luck Browns make the trade with Wash.

That is exactly what would happen they know we would pick Mariota they wouldn't risk letting us get to the podium.

I'd be very disappointed if we took Scherff at 6, very disappointed.  I would be dangling from a rope if we took the CB.

Why?  He'd start off at a guard spot and give us an opportunity to move on from Brick (who is paid like an elite LT but hasn't played like one for a while) next offseason, which would save us 9M in cap room, or to restructure him to a more palatable contract while keeping Scherff at guard for another year or two before transitioning to LT.  Our OL does need some love.

The big key is "Is this guy a pro bowl LT in waiting?"  I'm not convinced he is.  Use the 6th overall pick on a prototypical LT?  Sure.  Use one on a guard a good who well maybe in a few years will be a LT is not something I want to chance.  In the end I do not see this guy as some all world player and the highkly picked OG's the last few years have not stepped right in and been massively dominant. 

We need a true demon pass rusher more than an OG we need a true top notch WR more than an OG.

You are doing this to piss me off right?  Other than Boldin, those times are bullsh*t and Boldin was huge.  Fitzgerald didn't run and the reported time for Rice is one of those myths that get repeated so often they become "facts."  I wrote a long, researched post about this, possibly in response to this particular article.  Nothing against the author, he is quoting what is out there, but that does not make it factual.  That is not a source, it does cite sources, and if it did they would be wrong. 

Fitzgerald did not run at the combine - there were numerous potential reasons, he may have been hurt or he may have been worried about his petition to the league wouldn't be accepted. He was only a Pitt a couple of years, but used some prep school to cover the other year out of high school and that was when Clarrett's suit was going strong.  He ran a 4.48 at his pro day, weighing 225.  There is some moronic site called nflcombineresults that routinely has the wrong numbers up and Wikipedia quotes it.  They have him at 4.63.  That is not a source. 

Jerry Rice did not fall because he was a slug.  He fell because he went to a small school and wasn't a rocket.  I think the Rice ran a 4.7 thing came from some quote where they said he ran a 4.7 but he got faster as the game went on.  I don't think anybody actually timed him at that.

Jarvis Landry is the guy you should be quoting for slow 40s.  He was solidly in the 4.7s (down to 4.61 at his pro day) and had a very solid rookie season.

Cooper's should be compared to Rice more than Curtis effen Conway. The work ethic, route running, and hands demonstrated by Amari are off the charts.

Rice wasn't a so called rocket and turned out to be GOAT.  He had all the same attributes that Amari has.

As you have stated 40x's mean diddly poo

Cooper's should be compared to Rice more than Curtis effen Conway. The work ethic, route running, and hands demonstrated by Amari are off the charts.

Rice wasn't a so called rocket and turned out to be GOAT.  He had all the same attributes that Amari has.

As you have stated 40x's mean diddly poo

You have the wrong guy.  If anything, I have been the #1 defender of the 40 on this site. Doesn't mean that I think the faster player is always better, but I do believe that the faster player is always faster.

I don't understand this mentality; if the best player at 6 is a wide out, which is very possible, why would that be a problem?  Especially when many of the top receivers in this draft are ranked just has high or higher than last years (which was the best wr class in a decade.)

Not saying it would be bad - it 'd be just so unusual a move for the Jets (in my fandom) that I wouldn't know what to do! 

Archived