Sanchez Staying w/ Eagles guarantees Foles as Trade Chip

32EBoozer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You play to win the game.

Derp.

Yeah, the players. Doesnt mean you root for wins that **** you in the ass in the long term.

Right.

Let it go...players play to win games.  If not, they do not deserve to put the uniform on.

Does not mean we cannot lament the meaningless wins. Also, tell this to the Dolphins who clearly laid down in wk 17.

Derp.

Right.

Does not mean we cannot lament the meaningless wins. Also, tell this to the Dolphins who clearly laid down in wk 17.

Honestly, what would have tanking got us this year? A pick or two higher?

We were never going to be #1. 

Why do you think the Eagles will trade above us? 

I don't get this either. maybe if he bombs his pro day, he would fall that much, but he did well at the combine when it wasn't scripted and his pro bowl was. Williams is the only guy that needs to be taken in the top 5, Either by Tenn, the jags, the raiders or skins. All other positions of need are deep, wr, rusher and OT. Once williams is gone, they will all look to trade down.

This is basically how I see it. Teams could have a favorite WR or edge rusher and want to stay put, but I think everyone picking from 2-5 will be in play to make a move down. If I'm in love with Mariota, I just don't trust that the QB-needy Jets don't love him, too.

All the talk is about Philadelphia, too. If other teams. -like Cleveland or St. Louis- have an interest, they'll know that they have to be aggressive to get ahead of Chip Kelly.

I've just never bought this fantasy scenario where the Jets trade the #6 overall for Nick Foles and a bounty of picks.

They're in love with his stats from two years ago. Last season he had almost as many turnovers as Geno while appearing in 6 less games.

Keep spouting this nonsense. It doesn't make it true. Yeah, less games but think of how many more attempts per game. Geno threw 13 TDs, 13 ints and fumbled 8 times. Files 13 TDs, 10 I ts and 4 fumbles. 7 is a pretty significant number of turnovers IMO

FWIW INT % Geno 3.5, Files 3.2, Glennon 3.0

Foles is enticing only as the substitute for a fourth round pick in any proposed trade-down scenario with the Eagles. He'd be here on a one-year try-out basis. If you're talking about trading an existing pick for him AND signing him to a new deal, you can gtfo, hombre.

No way Philly swaps with us before the draft. Give up Foles and a sh*t load of picks for a edge rusher or WR? They need to be assured Mariotta is available at 6. It they really want him they will jump to #2

And if they jump to #2 they either trade Foles to Tenn. or to us for a 2nd or 3rd

Hopefully we get Foles, keep the 2nd, trade the 3rd, keep the 4th(Harvin), keep 5th, lose 6th and draft Scotty McKnight again in the 7th.

Wasn't that easy?

I don't think Foles is available, until his replacement is aboard already unless he values Hundley who i think will be a great fit in his system. He could trade down a few slots pick up a 3rd, trade foles for the jets 3rd and something next year based on performance.  If he feels that if his OLine is healthy like there were in 2013 rather than last years disaster, Sanchez may be enough until Hundley is ready.  I don't think he can wait until his 2nd to get Hundley.  I would not discount  Geno having value to him either.

Except that there were rumors, at least before he started losing games for them, that Kelly preferred Sanchez to Foles because he was more mobile and thereby a better fit into his system.

Did you watch him his first year as starting QB. Had either the best or 2nd best QB rating in football.

It was the 3rd best in NFL history.

Then again, Pennington and Schaub and Culpepper comprise over 20% of the top 14 of all time in that category.

But a meh performance can still end in an 85-90-ish QB rating. It is impossible to have a merely so-so season with a passer rating of 119 and change. It's all-time great territory. That doesn't mean Foles is or was or will be one of the best QBs ever. But it does mean that for a stretch his performance was measurably as good as pretty much anyone else's.

Then again, Pennington and Schaub and Culpepper comprise over 20% of the top 14 of all time in that category.

But a meh performance can still end in an 85-90-ish QB rating. It is impossible to have a merely so-so season with a passer rating of 119 and change. It's all-time great territory. That doesn't mean Foles is or was or will be one of the best QBs ever. But it does mean that for a stretch his performance was measurably as good as pretty much anyone else's.

Honestly, just finding a guy that doesn't single-handedly turn the ball over 25+ times a year from the QB position is going to be a marked improvement. Low bar, sure, but the options are what they are, we've got to hope we can either be the change of scenery that helps a former 1st round QB make the team that drafted them look stupid, or a team that can be awesome everywhere else and "hide" the QB.

Honestly, just finding a guy that doesn't single-handedly turn the ball over 25+ times a year from the QB position is going to be a marked improvement. Low bar, sure, but the options are what they are, we've got to hope we can either be the change of scenery that helps a former 1st round QB make the team that drafted them look stupid, or a team that can be awesome everywhere else and "hide" the QB.

Which is why I'm behind picking up Foles. At worst he can be a game manager. This seemingly simple plugin to find has eluded this team for too many years now. 

I don't care if he's not great. The choice is not between great and not-great. It's between Geno Smith, another unready rookie, or Foles (if we can even get Foles).

For those who want great or nothing, pick him up and find someone great while we have something serviceable at least. The receiving corps is now good enough that we just need not-awful behind center to regularly put up points outside the teens (and without putting the defense back onto the field so quickly).

Which is why I'm behind picking up Foles. At worst he can be a game manager. This seemingly simple plugin to find has eluded this team for too many years now. 

I don't care if he's not great. The choice is not between great and not-great. It's between Geno Smith, another unready rookie, or Foles (if we can even get Foles).

For those who want great or nothing, pick him up and find someone great while we have something serviceable at least. The receiving corps is now good enough that we just need not-awful behind center to regularly put up points outside the teens (and without putting the defense back onto the field so quickly).

I agree with you 100% on this.

I'm actually hoping that Maclin gets signed by the Texans, as I read somewhere today, which would expand the realm of possibilities to do business with the Eagles, meaning:

they want Mariotta

they need a WR to replace Maclin

This doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with our first round pick either, but I'd be okay with any of Kevin White, Mariotta, and Cooper being there for us at 6 and trading back with the Eagles for their 1st, Foles and whatever else is appropriate as throw in. This gives us enough ammo to move right back up in the first round so we aren't picking too late too.

The other scenario is we make our pick at #6, then we trade back in round 2 with the Eagles so they can maybe move up for Jaelen Strong or Green-Beckham early in the round, while we take their 2nd rounder, Foles and perhaps something like their 5th if the values balance out. This would be the equivalent of moving back in the 2nd round and 5th round for Foles and Brandon Marshall. I'd call that a coup.

I would take that over an immature Geno who constantly makes the same mistake.

I agree with you 100% on this.

I'm actually hoping that Maclin gets signed by the Texans, as I read somewhere today, which would expand the realm of possibilities to do business with the Eagles, meaning:

they want Mariotta

they need a WR to replace Maclin

This doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with our first round pick either, but I'd be okay with any of Kevin White, Mariotta, and Cooper being there for us at 6 and trading back with the Eagles for their 1st, Foles and whatever else is appropriate as throw in. This gives us enough ammo to move right back up in the first round so we aren't picking too late too.

The other scenario is we make our pick at #6, then we trade back in round 2 with the Eagles so they can maybe move up for Jaelen Strong or Green-Beckham early in the round, while we take their 2nd rounder, Foles and perhaps something like their 5th if the values balance out. This would be the equivalent of moving back in the 2nd round and 5th round for Foles and Brandon Marshall. I'd call that a coup.

There would be quite a throw-in on top of your proposal, unless anyone values Foles more than we think. The "throw-in" should be next year's #1, and that's if we're valuing him as much as (Philadelphia's) 2015 2nd rounder.  Without Foles, on paper that would be (roughly) Philadelphia's #1 and #2 this year plus their #1 next year (at least as a trade's beginning framework).

I really don't know what value Foles has around the league.

There would be quite a throw-in on top of your proposal, unless anyone values Foles more than we think. The "throw-in" should be next year's #1, and that's if we're valuing him as much as (Philadelphia's) 2015 2nd rounder.  Without Foles, on paper that would be (roughly) Philadelphia's #1 and #2 this year plus their #1 next year (at least as a trade's beginning framework).

I really don't know what value Foles has around the league.

Nah, neither do I, but I would think that we'd net more than just what I said... as I was writing I realized I hadn't even checked to see if I was talking about fair value, and was too excited to write out the potential of what I was thinking to take the time to look into it. 

Gotta say, I do like the Chan Gailey hire more and more for where we are relative to the QB situation. 

Installing a spread offense when could be going with Geno who played in something similar in college, Mariotta same as Geno, or a ex-Eagles QB like Foles who is playing in Chip's version of the spread. I feel like Bowles looked at the situation he was coming into, actually talked about it with Mac, and it had to have influenced the Gailey hire. 

Except that there were rumors, at least before he started losing games for them, that Kelly preferred Sanchez to Foles because he was more mobile and thereby a better fit into his system.

Foles feels a rush more than any other qb I have seen in some time,. The kid turned out to be gun shy. 

He regressed in a huge way last year. 

If you want your qb to be "soft", Foles is your guy

If Philly loses Maclin, that Eagles 2016 #1 has a chance to be top 10.

Might be worth making the trade they want just to get their two #1 picks, with Foles (and possibly more) almost as a throw-in.

Washington sucks, but the Giants are always a wildcard to turn in a 10-win season even with poor pre-season expectations. Don't expect a sweep again, especially minus Maclin and McCoy and starting a rookie (no matter what Kelly thinks of him).

Foles feels a rush more than any other qb I have seen in some time,. The kid turned out to be gun shy. 

He regressed in a huge way last year. 

If you want your qb to be "soft", Foles is your guy

You are avoiding the task of providing an actual solution. Pointing out deficiencies in a QB whose HC is making available is easy.

He is better than what we have and better than what we have had since Favre hurt his shoulder.

Might be worth making the trade they want just to get their two #1 picks, with Foles (and possibly more) almost as a throw-in.

Washington sucks, but the Giants are always a wildcard to turn in a 10-win season even with poor pre-season expectations. Don't expect a sweep again, especially minus Maclin and McCoy and starting a rookie (no matter what Kelly thinks of him).

So, trade out of 6, to get 20 and an unknown # 1 next year?

That is hardly good football sense

Washington sucks, but the Giants are always a wildcard to turn in a 10-win season even with poor pre-season expectations. Don't expect a sweep again, especially minus Maclin and McCoy and starting a rookie (no matter what Kelly thinks of him).

Word. Kelly is trying to reinvent the wheel in Philly, it seems. It'd be nice to be a beneficiary if/when it blows up in his face.

Archived