2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what you still fail to understand. Nobody here likes the Wilpons. But that doesn't mean you through basic logistics out the window when bitching.

We'll revisit this debate soon, my fine friend. I'd rather not spoil this Cespedes news by going back and forth over the Sandy-Wilpon dynamic just now. I'm all about positivity for the next six hours or so.

This is what you still fail to understand. Nobody here likes the Wilpons. But that doesn't mean you through basic logistics out the window when bitching.

Yep.  Woody Johnson blows too.  Doesn't mean the Jets can't get some things right from time to time.  Same deal with the Mets.

So do we have a MLB lineup now? Can we make some noise in the playoffs if we get there with this team?

IMO it's on the bullpen. Duda's back to normal so the offense should be fine now adding Cespedes and the injured guys returning. It's a great day for the Mets but the reality is that we have a reeeeally unsure bullpen situation from here on out.

Real talk I think the Mets could have traded Wheeler for Cespedes and most would have understood that one. Only time will tell but as of now this is one of the best trades the Mets have pulled off in a long time.

Cespedes will make Citi field look small.

We'll revisit this debate soon, my fine friend. I'd rather not spoil this Cespedes news by going back and forth over the Sandy-Wilpon dynamic just now. I'm all about positivity for the next six hours or so.

There is no debate to revisit. If the Mets made a deal like this when you wanted them to during your daily bitchfests, they would have paid more. You were wrong. So sit there on your throne of wrong eating a big bowl of wrong and deal with it Wrongey McWrongowitz.

Real talk I think the Mets could have traded Wheeler for Cespedes and most would have understood that one. Only time will tell but as of now this is one of the best trades the Mets have pulled off in a long time.

1.  Thor for Dickey

2.  Cespedes

Have to bat him 5th right? I hate fantasy baseball but I imagine Duda's value just went up a notch.

That's where I was thinking especially with Duda looking locked in at the moment.   

I know we'll likely never see it but a healthy and productive Cuddyer and Wright in September would make this line-up pretty decent as long as they're ok with sliding Granderson over to CF. 

Greatest Hits: Part One

If/when, in July, the Wilpons try to sell you on Brandon Nimmo and assorted AA guys riding to the rescue, what they're really telling you is that they're going to hang on to their pitchers until it comes time to pay them, then they're going to deal them for low-A prospects and start the wheel all over again.

Plug some holes until when? 2017? Put Syndegaard on the block and a bunch of players will magically become available.

Harvey is good right now. DeGrom is good right now. Syndegaard looks like he's going to get there pretty quickly. There is no linearity to success in baseball, particularly when the owner is cheap. They're eventually going to trade Harvey for prospects so they can avoid paying him, then they'll pull the same sh*t with DeGrom. Patience is not a real thing with the Mets. It's code for kicking the can down the road.

Personally, I'm not expecting them to trade for Trout. All I want is a shortstop that will bat .270 and turn the double play. I want an outfielder who isn't striking out every other time at the plate. These aren't unreasonable, expensive demands. What's making me sick is hearing Alderson sound bites every month sh*tting on another beat guy who suggests that he should try to acquire--God forbid--a major league-ready player. The time to defer is over. They've been playing the "wait til next year!" card for five years.

They certainly have not, but this might be a function of you not loving in the tri-state and not being subjected to the despicable marketing of the Mets franchise. Alderson thought it was a 90-win team last year. The Mets spent this offseason selling tickets with "The Time Is Now." Perennially, Jeffy Is quoted as saying they'll be aggressive at the trading deadline, and they never do anything, and then Sandy has the balls to turn up his nose at the suggestion that he was supposed to do a damn thing, instead referring to "lean markets" and "cost." It's a joke. Wilmer Flores' continued existence at shortstop, or Murphy's at second, is a farce. Sandy isn't waiting around to build an offense around Gavin Cecchini. This is the same group that tried telling the fans that Daniel Murphy was Don Mattingly. In sum, there is no plan. Sandy is here at the behest of MLB to front what is an essentially bankrupt organization and keep the lights on until Fred gets back into the black. Everything else is window decoration.

I'm not trying to impugn your knowledge of the team at all, just stating that your expectations for the team are tempered via the luxury of not being in a market saturated by Mets propaganda. That said, I don't have particularly high expectations for the Mets because the post-Madoff Mets do the same thing every year--hover around .500 until the trading deadline, do nothing, then collapse, which will be the case again this year. I understand the need for patience, but there's no logic behind that with this franchise. Who's coming up soon to save the day? Plawecki and Herrera are already here by necessity and they're not particularly close to ready. Matt Reynolds? Nimmo? It's not like they have Giancarlo Stanton and Kris Bryant sitting in triple-A. Like it or not, if the Mets hope to compete within the next year or two, they're going to have to make a significant deal, which we have no reason to believe that they'll pursue. Matt Harvey is going to be arbitration eligible at the end of this year, btw, so the economic reality of paying him is coming fast. Patience is cool to talk about, but I don't see how or why you're giving the Mets the benefit of the doubt here. All they've done is stash their money under the sofa so that Irving Picard doesn't rip it out of their hands.

As far as knowing what the shot is, the road seems pretty clear, no? They need to keep the team afloat while hoping that the Nationals roster hates each other enough to sink the season in DC. It's fine if Sandy doesn't want to trade the farm for Castro, but he can't find someone who can turn a double play, if only to keep Harvey from having a stroke?

You snide little academic!

When we're sitting here in two years, when Boras puts Matt Harvey onto the Yankees roster, when Brandon Nimmo is a slap-hitting, .236 average-having stiff, when DeGrom is on Jim Rome playing Meat Puppet songs after a Zito-sequel meltdown, when Jeffy is telling the papers that Gavin Cecchini is "just like Jeter," when Alderson is still talking about "the process," when Syndegaard is calling Mets manager Joe Girardi an a$$hole for pulling him at 73 pitches, when you and your strat-o-matic dweeb friends are talking about all that low-A depth that Alderson put together, when Fred is being pulled in front of the SEC to talk about his portfolio again, then you'll start to understand, my homie.

Shorter Alderson: We'll make a trade if someone wants to give me a great player with a negligible contract for free, otherwise I'm not doing anything and **** you I went to Harvard and was a Marine.

Marlins, Indians, and Brewers are going to blow up their rosters, too. Mets could find some nice pieces for a run if they wanted. But, they won't.

That's where I was thinking especially with Duda looking locked in at the moment.   

I know we'll likely never see it but a healthy and productive Cuddyer and Wright in September would make this line-up pretty decent as long as they're ok with sliding Granderson over to CF. 

Have to find a way to play Uribe down the stretch too. He's too integral a vet to not have out there. I guess platoon him at second with Murphy?

Greatest Hits: Part One

SIGH.

Well, the cynical way to look at this is that the Mets just took the $15 mil they got from Wright's insurance policy and picked up a couple dudes who won't be on the payroll in 2016. WHY DO YOU MAKE ME DO THESE THINGS DOUG.

SIGH.

Well, the cynical way to look at this is that the Mets just took the $15 mil they got from Wright's insurance policy and picked up a couple dudes who won't be on the payroll in 2016. WHY DO YOU MAKE ME DO THESE THINGS DOUG.

Might as well make a run at it. We've seen the Giants stick around, make the playoffs and win with pitching. Not saying the Mets are capable of such fortune but being in the position they're in, why not?

Part Deux

Same thing every year. Then ten trades happen with other teams and he scoffs.

You guys are losers and I'm embarrassed to be associated with you.

"Wahhhhhh who's avaaaaaailable?"

"Wahhhhhh we'll have to settle for a douchy shortstop and some scraaaaps"

The Mets are in the driver's seat the second they put any of these dudes on the market. It's up to the other teams to make players available to procure a 23-25 year old ace. Some ******* team is going to empty their farm system for Cole Goddamn Hamels in a few weeks, and you're worried about who's "available" if Harvey hits the block? You're all Jets fans through and through. You make me sick.

**** faba.

Here's how this works, rook. You put, sayyyy, Harvey or Syndegaard on the block and you wait for, sayyyyyyy, the Reds to come a-knocking. Then you tell them it'll cost Todd Frazier and a pick of two of their top ten minor league prospects. If they balk, you tell them to eat a dick. That's how business is done, junior.

Niese pitching well. Maybe Theo shows us some mercy and only takes Harvey and Niese for Castro. Trading is impossible. :( :( :( :kicks rock:

Can you expand on this "forced into a deal" business? And, yes, he does well when he's dumping salary for minor leaguers. Truly a gift.

The cheeky "What me worry?" act he puts on at the trade deadline is despicable, and an insult to the fans. It's one thing for the Wilpons to be broke, but it's another thing to pretend the fans are idiots for pointing out that very obvious fact.

Baseball trades usually aren't like NFL or NBA trades where there's a ton of agent/GM saber-rattling beforehand. There just isn't a whole lot of transparency related to the far majority of these deals, and--especially on the fan level--there isn't a whole lot of foreknowledge for anything, so playing the "Oh yeah, WHO?" card is silly. No one knew that the Braves would trade Kimbrel until it happened. No one knew the A's would move Cespedes last year. Particularly with in-season deals, they come together quickly and people find out about them from a Buster Olney tweet after the fact.

And, again, you can't say that Sandy has put together a fertile farm system AND say that he can't pull off a decent trade to upgrade the MLB roster.

Part Tres

You and Dierking are in the deep minority with this. Deep deep deep. Heyman was on the FAN today talking about Sandy's malfeasance. You and Dierking are the only ones who believe that the Mets are somehow incapable of making a reasonable MLB trade, and that sitting around for another 18 months until Conforto is ready is how they should proceed.

Dude, the first offer? How many years have they spent sitting on their hands? The phrase "Mets are showing interest in..." has become a punchline.

My buttons are not pushed. I am comfortable with the knowledge of my correctness on this topic. Did you know that Steven Matz was also a Minaya draft pick?

I think the trick is to wait until you're six years and a week out from the trade deadline to make a move. Gotta be cautious in these spots. If you don't see a deal you like in those 313 weeks, you wait another 52.

Should just sit and wait on these pitchers because they stay good forever

No, I'm saying that sitting on your hands because you think the good pitching you have today will be good two years from now is silly.

The Mets have been at or near .500 at the ASB for the past six years. Then Sandy talks about how stupid all the teams that made deals at the deadline were, then the bow breaks.

We do the same thing every year with this team--celebrate their .500-ness, then watch them passively wallow through the second half of the season wondering why they can't keep pace in the NL with Wilmer Flores batting cleanup. It's frustrating and a con job by management.

Saw two great stories today, speaking of propaganda. One was how about how poor Sandy couldn't get other teams to pick up the phone unless Syndegaard and Conforto were on the table, and the other one was about how Conforto has "light tower power," and was going to be fast-tracked to the majors. Conforto has 23 homers in 208 minor league games. The old Wilpon machine in full effect y'all.

When I have it out for somebody, I need to see them driven into the sea. Fred has the local papers, SNY (obviously), and the majority of the FAN by the balls. I'll never get over the Daniel Murphy sell job when the Madoff thing first came down. It'll be awesome if Conforto and Nimmo are awesome, but they're both being floated as distractions from the fact that the owner isn't going to spend a dime to save a season, same as every other year since Alderson has been here.

Archived