2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

Maybe the Royals are better and refuse to end the season 2nd best again? All the pressure is on the Mets.

The HR that didn't leave the park was an error on the Mets. So, game 1 loss is all on NY.

Never seen a Mets fan say Buckners error was the reason why they won the series. Weird.

Both errors were gifts. Not sure what you're crying about.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, that was so deflating.  Sports are such a cruel mistress.

Man, they just didnt go down last night.  deGrom couldnt find the pitch.  They just battled and battled and hit everything!  We clearly didnt bring our bats to KC.  We cant even get productive outs.  If Wright and Cespedes cant get going at home, there is zero chance.  I'm not even putting Murhp up there because while he had a great run, its those 2 guys that make this offense tick.  And if they cant move runners over or get on base, the offense cant keep up with the Royals. 

Those 2 games really took the wind out of my sails.  It's feeling so sweepish right now, I'm sick.  

I feel the same way. I turned to my wife after Familia gave up the HR to Gordon in the 9th in game one and said we may have just lost the WS on that one pitch. deGrom was trying too hard to be prefect because he saw what we all saw, the offense was horrible last night, and it carried over from game 1 when we let mediocre pitching dominate us.

After watching the playoffs, if this continues the way it looks like its going to go, there is no way in hell I would sign Cespedes. I know we would likely not be here right now without him, but he is wayyyy to pitchable to, to get the type of money he is going to get. I know it leaves a huge whole in the lineup, but pretty much the entire playoffs he has been a huge whole in the lineup.

After watching the playoffs, if this continues the way it looks like its going to go, there is no way in hell I would sign Cespedes. I know we would likely not be here right now without him, but he is wayyyy to pitchable to, to get the type of money he is going to get. I know it leaves a huge whole in the lineup, but pretty much the entire playoffs he has been a huge whole in the lineup.

We have to sign him.  He hit 17 bombs for us in less than 250 plate appearances down the stretch and is a 4-tool player.  All this postseason is doing is maybe cooling his pricetag, which would be nice.

Unless of course you want to have basically zero legitimate hitters in the middle of our lineup like we did in July.  Those sure were fun times.

I feel the same way. I turned to my wife after Familia gave up the HR to Gordon in the 9th in game one and said we may have just lost the WS on that one pitch. deGrom was trying too hard to be prefect because he saw what we all saw, the offense was horrible last night, and it carried over from game 1 when we let mediocre pitching dominate us.

The Familia pitch didnt hurt me too bad.  I looked at like it was a fluke type thing that you just new was eventually going to happen to him.  It had been since July.  I lived with it.  Nobody is perfect.  I think my confidence in deGrom vs. Cueto was so high, that the come down is brutal. 

I think you have to give it a hard look.  There's a reason why he's bounced around so much.  I dont want to sour on him because we wouldnt be here without him and I love him but he's just not getting the sweet spot on the ball right now, at all and its killing this team.

We have to sign him.  He hit 17 bombs for us in less than 250 plate appearances down the stretch and is a 4-tool player.  All this postseason is doing is maybe cooling his pricetag, which would be nice.

Unless of course you want to have basically zero legitimate hitters in the middle of our lineup like we did in July.  Those sure were fun times.

That's a good point.  He might be losing some money, doubt it, because its Baseball but possibly driving his cost down a bit.  You have to give it a good look.  I'm not too familiar with salaries, etc. but if he's a streaky guy and has a bad year...the Mets will be paying a sh*t ton for bats that dont work with Cuddyer being the most overpaid POS on the planet 

Honestly, what it feels like, is the stage is too big for this team.  Whereas, the Royals were here just last year with a man on 3rd, 2 outs, in game 7, bottom of the 9th.  They just have answered everything and just seem so much more comfortable and confident.  Their approach at the plate is incredible and I think a lot of it has to do with experience. 

Also, as much as I love our pitching staff...what they had to battle last year with the greatest postseason pitching performance we've ever seen...they were ready for the Mets.  

Ok hopefully coming home will get the hitters going. KC hitters are doing what they do make contact and do not strike out.

Cespedes is showing his holes at the plate= you do not have to throw him a strike to get him out. still a dangerous hitter when on. The Mets will need a legit hitter on the lineup from someone next year no matter what.

Honestly, what it feels like, is the stage is too big for this team.  Whereas, the Royals were here just last year with a man on 3rd, 2 outs, in game 7, bottom of the 9th.  They just have answered everything and just seem so much more comfortable and confident.  Their approach at the plate is incredible and I think a lot of it has to do with experience. 

Also, as much as I love our pitching staff...what they had to battle last year with the greatest postseason pitching performance we've ever seen...they were ready for the Mets.  

Spot on.  KC lost the WS last year to the dynasty Giants because Madison Bumgarner pitched like an all-time great and they still almost won.  They have talent and postseason experience.

That said, Thor and Matz need to outpitch KC starters in order for the Mets to win.  It's pretty simply.  No, Harvey was not the reason the Mets lost game 1, but he needed to leave that game with a lead in order for the Mets to have a chance, but he couldn't.  That's baseball.

It works both ways.  KC would be in trouble if they couldn't at least neutralize the Mets starting pitching.

Ok hopefully coming home will get the hitters going. KC hitters are doing what they do make contact and do not strike out.

Cespedes is showing his holes at the plate= you do not have to throw him a strike to get him out. still a dangerous hitter when on. The Mets will need a legit hitter on the lineup from someone next year no matter what.

Yeah, it's very noticeable.  I love him and always will for the spark he provided...but he looks like a hitter who could disappear for a long stints at a time. 

Spot on.  KC lost the WS last year to the dynasty Giants because Madison Bumgarner pitched like an all-time great and they still almost won.  They have talent and postseason experience.

That said, Thor and Matz need to outpitch KC starters in order for the Mets to win.  It's pretty simply.  No, Harvey was not the reason the Mets lost game 1, but he needed to leave that game with a lead in order for the Mets to have a chance, but he couldn't.  That's baseball.

It works both ways.  KC would be in trouble if they couldn't at least neutralize the Mets starting pitching.

The series isnt over.  It just feels like it right now because our 2 Ace's got beat and now we are relying on 2 rookies.  Granted, they're very talented rookies but they're still rookies and that makes me nervous as hell.  

It's all about the Bats though.  2 hits vs. Cueto?  That's pathetic.  He's someone you have to hit if he's on the mound.  Have to.  Oh well.  Got to take the next 2.  They can do it, they have the team to do it, but it feels almost to overwhelming from a fan perspective.  Hopefully the clubhouse isnt feeling the same way. 

Yeah, it's very noticeable.  I love him and always will for the spark he provided...but he looks like a hitter who could disappear for a long stints at a time. 

The series isnt over.  It just feels like it right now because our 2 Ace's got beat and now we are relying on 2 rookies.  Granted, they're very talented rookies but they're still rookies and that makes me nervous as hell.  

It's all about the Bats though.  2 hits vs. Cueto?  That's pathetic.  He's someone you have to hit if he's on the mound.  Have to.  Oh well.  Got to take the next 2.  They can do it, they have the team to do it, but it feels almost to overwhelming from a fan perspective.  Hopefully the clubhouse isnt feeling the same way. 

Oh, yeah, the Mets bats are a major issue, but sometimes to win a WS when your office is struggling you need the starter to win the game 1-0.  It's happened a bunch of times in baseball history

He's been around 7 or 8 seasons and in the AL no less so you should have seen him by now.  Basically nothing special with the bat...will hit around .260 can swipe 20 bases and play good defense.  Nothing special but everyone looks better in the post season...especially when their team is winning.

It's todays game that's what you're looking for in a SS.

He has 5 full seasons in the AL. And other the last two post-season runs I haven't seen a lot of him.

His playoff slash line: .325/.341/.492/.833. So he doesn't just look better, he's performing at a very high rate, thus my impression.

the Mets will be paying a sh*t ton for bats that dont work with Cuddyer being the most overpaid POS on the planet 

Not to mention we burned a 1st round pick to get him, in a pretty loaded draft class.  Thank goodness Alderson more than made up for that mistake with the Thor/d'Arnaud, Cespedes, and Kelly Johnson/Uribe deals, because Cuddyer was a dumpster fire. 

Given that Alderson comes from the Billy Beane tree, when Beane in his heyday was notoriously good at acquiring compensatory picks, losing one to get Cuddyer was the most disappointing part of it in my mind.

Maybe the Royals are better and refuse to end the season 2nd best again? All the pressure is on the Mets.

The HR that didn't leave the park was an error on the Mets. So, game 1 loss is all on NY.

Never seen a Mets fan say Buckners error was the reason why they won the series. Weird.

I don't know if they're better team from top to bottom. However I do think sports are always about the matchups, and after two games it looks like they match up better against us than we do against them.

We'll see, things are about to change a bit when Yost actually has to start doing something and the Royals can't rely on a stacked 1-9.

The DH is awesome. You pay pitchers $100mil   but you give  them  an  easy out  every  couple of innings?   Ridiculous. Thats  like  forcing  NFL  teams to  play  their punter at QB  for a   series  every   quarter.

Blech. You don't even need a manager with this sh*t. Boring as hell baseball. No strategy whatsoever.

Blech. You don't even need a manager with this sh*t. Boring as hell baseball. No strategy whatsoever.

Some AL managers say it's actually tougher to strategize when it comes to managing the pitching staff.  In the NL, if you're 50/50 on pulling your pitcher in a close game, him being due up that inning makes the decision easy; pull him for a pinch hitter.  In the AL, its much easier to leave the guy in a batter or inning too long because there's no obvious time to remove him.  The double switch is, however, a thing of art, so I'll give you that. 

I'm fine with the DH in the AL and no DH in the NL.  People want it to be uniform one way or the other and I say its stupid.  These are 2 leagues that were very different ever since the beginning of the 20th century.  Let them continue to be different. 

I still dont understand your basis for calling KC "frauds."  They won 95 games this year to the Mets' 90 wins. You say that they struggled against Toronto but Toronto was the best team in the AL.

KC has a bunch of 1st rounders on the field and have the best bullpen in baseball. 

The Mets have the advantage at startung pitching but they have yet to exploit that. The Mets cant win if their starters leave the game tied or down. The 90s Braves had the same problem.

The Cubs won 97 games and 7 of those were against the Mets who couldn't beat them at all in the reg season.

But not only did Mets sweep them 4 straight in the NLCS, Chicago never once held the lead.

If you like numbers and percentages so much, KC and Toronto would be the fourth and fifth best teams in the NL or both leagues combined.

The top three are home watching the WS.

Seriously, I think you're blowing the word "frauds" way out of proportion.

The Mets starters thrive heavily on Ks but against KC they're not having the same success that got them here.

Prior to Wednesday, the only starting Royals that faced a NY starting pitcher were Cueto (with Reds) 0-2, K, who lost to Syndergaard 2-1, Alex Rios (with White Sox) 1-3, K, versus Harvey, and backup catcher Drew Butera (with Dodgers) 0-3, K versus deGrom.

If our rotation wants Ks they better study the KC batters all over again.

Some AL managers say it's actually tougher to strategize when it comes to managing the pitching staff.  In the NL, if you're 50/50 on pulling your pitcher in a close game, him being due up that inning makes the decision easy; pull him for a pinch hitter.  In the AL, its much easier to leave the guy in a batter or inning too long because there's no obvious time to remove him.  The double switch is, however, a thing of art, so I'll give you that. 

I'm fine with the DH in the AL and no DH in the NL.  People want it to be uniform one way or the other and I say its stupid.  These are 2 leagues that were very different ever since the beginning of the 20th century.  Let them continue to be different. 

Ned Yost was a joke in the NL.

The Cubs won 97 games and 7 of those were against the Mets who couldn't beat them at all in the reg season.

But not only did Mets sweep them 4 straight in the NLCS, Chicago never once held the lead.

If you like numbers and percentages so much, KC and Toronto would be the fourth and fifth best teams in the NL or both leagues combined.

The top three are home watching the WS.

Seriously, I think you're blowing the word "frauds" way out of proportion.

The Mets starters thrive heavily on Ks but against KC they're not having the same success that got them here.

Prior to Wednesday, the only starting Royals that faced a NY starting pitcher were Cueto (with Reds) 0-2, K, who lost to Syndergaard 2-1, Alex Rios (with White Sox) 1-3, K, versus Harvey, and backup catcher Drew Butera (with Dodgers) 0-3, K versus deGrom.

If our rotation wants Ks they better study the KC batters all over again.

And if they do manage to stretch this to games 6 and 7 they need to be on the first flight out to KC the second game 5 is over to practice on that field. Defense was completely lost in that ballpark for both games.

okay, but how is it fair that the Royals now have one of their best hitters (Morales) now on the bench. He was in the middle of their lineup the entire season, now in game 3,4,5 of the World Series he's on the bench.

okay, but how is it fair that the Royals now have one of their best hitters (Morales) now on the bench. He was in the middle of their lineup the entire season, now in game 3,4,5 on the bench.

The Mets didn't exactly have a legitimate DH to send out there in Games 1 & 2.  So I'd call it even.  If Morales wants to be in the lineup, find a position to play hoss.

Doesn't he have a damaged shoulder?

His misjudged Escobar ball is the reason we're not 1-1. Gordon's blast off Familia was well-earned, IMO.

But Cespedes made some tremendous plays yesterday. The score could've been much worse.

Ned Yost was a joke in the NL.

I know.  And I'm not saying I prefer AL ball.  Just saying that I don't care if the AL has a DH.  From an entertainment perspective it makes sense.  More runs and less awful swings from pitchers.  It also protects your investments; less of a chance your $150M pitcher pulls a hammy. 

Fans of AL teams or fans of NL teams will always prefer their own league's rules.  I just don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

That's their fault. They wanna play "pure baseball".

It's no one's fault.  The 2 leagues play baseball differently.  They happen to meet in the World Series and each side has to adjust.  Claiming it's not fair that the Royals don't get to send Morales out there is just as ridiculous as me complaining that we don't have a legit DH on our roster.

I know.  And I'm not saying I prefer AL ball.  Just saying that I don't care if the AL has a DH.  From an entertainment perspective it makes sense.  More runs and less awful swings from pitchers.  It also protects your investments; less of a chance your $150M pitcher pulls a hammy.  Sports are ultimately for entertainment. 

Fans of AL teams or fans of NL teams will always prefer their own rules.  I just don't think there's a right or wrong answer here.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer either. I'm just saying that people who want to keep it hate America.

It's no one's fault.  The 2 leagues play baseball differently.  They happen to meet in the World Series and each side has to adjust.  Claiming it's not fair that the Royals don't get to send Morales out there is just as ridiculous as me complaining that we don't have a legit DH on our roster.

We don't have a legit DH because Uribe cracked the front of his body open and Wilmer is starting at short because Satan broke our starting SS's leg.

Not to mention the Royals get to use the DH 4 out of 7 games because of a stupid all-star game, in which deGrom dominated but the NL still lost.  So f*ck you, American League, and f*ck you, Kauffman Stadium.  The Mets are winning all 3 games at Citi Field and there's nothing you can do about it.

And if they do manage to stretch this to games 6 and 7 they need to be on the first flight out to KC the second game 5 is over to practice on that field. Defense was completely lost in that ballpark for both games.

Mets infield got particularly sloppy, though Wright's costly wide throw was playable if Duda stretched with a little more effort. 

Not to mention the Royals get to use the DH 4 out of 7 games because of a stupid all-star game, in which deGrom dominated but the NL still lost.  So f*ck you, American League, and f*ck you, Kauffman Stadium.  The Mets are winning all 3 games at Citi Field and there's nothing you can do about it.

Please don't light up the jinx meter.

Mets infield got particularly sloppy, though Wright's costly wide throw was playable if Duda stretched with a little more effort. 

The outfield too. Bizarre dimensions at that place. Particularly when the weather is bad I think that stadium might be the greatest home field advantage in the game. Between that outfield and that insanely fast infield, just wow. They did a great job designing it and an even better job constructing a batting order that would be able to work the field.

Archived