2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously?  As a Yankee fan that makes no sense.  I've seen 7 championship in my lifetime from being a child until my 30s.  There's no reason to root against the Mets this year.  This is the cycle when the Mets are good.  1969-71, 84-89, 2000-06, 2015-

Most Yankee fans I know, that are true fans and not bandwaggon fans are rooting for the Mets, or don't care.

The "Yankee fans" that became fans sometime during the 98-2000 run are the ones rooting against the Mets. They became Yankee fans because it was cool, and they have a fear that if the Mets win the WS, they won't be cool anymore.

DHdetroit is a "Yankee fan" and also a Bills fan.

so our staff can't do that?

Allow 1 run in 21 innings, while striking out 17 and walking 1, in a single World Series?  No, I don't think any non-cyborg other than Bumgarner can do what he did. 

Perfect pitching always beats great hitting, but demanding perfection is unrealistic, even from our staff.  Sometimes you just get beat by the better team in their park.  It happens.

Seriously?  As a Yankee fan that makes no sense.  I've seen 7 championship in my lifetime from being a child until my 30s.  There's no reason to root against the Mets this year.  This is the cycle when the Mets are good.  1969-71, 84-89, 2000-06, 2015-

My quote was of drdetroit.

The Mets were great in 73 BTW.

Watching them undress Harvey and deGrom the past two nights makes Bumgarner's last season that much more impressive. I still think what he did in the WS last year is the single most impressive thing I have ever seen a pitcher do.

Harvey allowed 2 legit runs on a night he did not have his best stuff. I'd hardly call that getting "undressed". Fans are going way overboard and losing sight of the fact that if Cespedes and/or Familia  simply do their job in game one the Mets would be heading home having accomplished what any team would wish for starting the WS on the road.....knotted up at 1-1.

Bumgarner was off the charts last WS but we are overreacting in saying the Royals are so much better than the Mets at this point. If they take us out at Citi Field than that talk is justified but not based on what we've seen so far.

Allow 1 run in 21 innings, while striking out 17 and walking 1, in a single World Series?  No, I don't think any non-cyborg other than Bumgarner can do what he did. 

Perfect pitching always beats great hitting, but demanding perfection is unrealistic, even from our staff.  Sometimes you just get beat by the better team in their park.  It happens.

Which goes back to what I said yesterday...there wasnt a team in Baseball more ready to face this pitching rotation than the Royals. 

**** pitching at this point.  The Bats need to come alive.  Clearly, their line up doesnt go down easily.  So hope for the best out of the youngsters but the veteran Bats in the line up need to step the **** up, pronto.  1-4, they all need to wake the **** up now and give these youngsters run support.  It's a must or this will be a sweep.

I STILL BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Randy in 01 was the same, even he didn't match that.  Some times, guys just go on a run. 

Randy Johnson 3 2 1.04 3 0 0 1 17.1 9 2 2 3 19 0.692 35 34 2.49 21 6 0 249.2 181 71 372 1.009

http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2001_WS.shtml

Bumgarner is unreal.  He's 26 and he retires now he'll make the HOF under the Sandy Kofax principle.

I still think the Mets can win this series.  I disagree with your second sentence somewhat because the adage is "Great pitching beats great hitting."  Harvey and deGrom did not pitch great in game 1 or 2.  But Thor still can.  

Again, I'll keep on pointing to Cone in game 3 of the 96 WS.  Yanks got obliterated in games 1 and 2 in The Bronx, but Cone pitched the game of his life in game 3 (better than his perfect game 2 yrs later) and kept the Yanks in the series.  Thor needs to pitch a 7 inning shutout or 1 run game to bring normalcy back.  He can do that!

Bumgarner is unreal.  He's 26 and he retires now he'll make the HOF under the Sandy Kofax principle.

I still think the Mets can win this series.  I disagree with your second sentence somewhat because the adage is "Great pitching beats great hitting."  Harvey and deGrom did not pitch great in game 1 or 2.  But Thor still can.  

Again, I'll keep on pointing to Cone in game 3 of the 96 WS.  Yanks got obliterated in games 1 and 2 in The Bronx, but Cone pitched the game of his life in game 3 (better than his perfect game 2 yrs later) and kept the Yanks in the series.  Thor needs to pitch a 7 inning shutout or 1 run game to bring normalcy back.  He can do that!

I call bullsh--t on that one SMC..  come on

His postseason last year was legendary, but he hasn't done nearly enough to get in the Hall of Fame (yet).

For comparison, Roger Maris isn't a Hall of Famer, despite his legendary season.

I call bullsh--t on that one SMC..  come on

His postseason last year was legendary, but he hasn't done nearly enough to get in the Hall of Fame (yet).

For comparison, Roger Maris isn't a Hall of Famer, despite his legendary season.

I disagree.  You're ignoring his other postseason stats.  He has pitched in 10 postseason series, including 3 WS.  Baumgarner is 7-3 with 1 SV, a 2.14 ERA, 77 SO, 15 BB and 0.883 WHIP.

His WS stats (more than just last year) are incredible.  Over three WS, he is 4-0, 1 SV with an 0.25 ERA, 31 SO, 5 BB and a .528 WHIP.

No, sorry.  Our pitchers either aren't ready or have met their match.

THREE runs already on Thor, and he has been pitching hard (has thrown 36 pitches).

Hate to say it but I think this is the last game I'm watching

So Mets fans give up that easy huh? Take it from a guy who's team was up 3-0 in the series and lost it, it ain't over till it's over. 

So Mets fans give up that easy huh? Take it from a guy who's team was up 3-0 in the series and lost it, it ain't over till it's over. 

The ace up our sleeve was pitching and I have seen it become unraveled.

I just want one of these aces to tear through the lineup.

No, sorry.  Our pitchers either aren't ready or have met their match.

THREE runs already on Thor, and he has been pitching hard (has thrown 36 pitches).

Hate to say it but I think this is the last game I'm watching

Some of you guys are silly.

Seriously, the Mets were outplayed in one game so far and that was game two.

The L in game one was a fluke between  the Cespedes drop and Familia blowing the save on a freaking quick pitch. What would tomorrows headline be if we had wrapped up game one like we should have? Would we be hearing all this talk of how the Royals are so much better than the Mets?

NO.

Some of you guys are silly.

Seriously, the Mets were outplayed in one game so far and that was game two.

The L in game one was a fluke between  the Cespedes drop and Familia blowing the save on a freaking quick pitch. What would tomorrows headline be if we had wrapped up game one like we should have? Would we be hearing all this talk of how the Royals are so much better than the Mets?

NO.

We blew the first, (which counts), and got our faces kicked in the second.

They put up three in two innings against a kid who was supposed to be the savor.

Now i agree the bats got active and saved the day but i am still on pins and needles for tomorrows game.

We blew the first, (which counts), and got our faces kicked in the second.

They put up three in two innings against a kid who was supposed to be the savor.

Now i agree the bats got active and saved the day but i am still on pins and needles for tomorrows game.

No kid is going to be the savior putting this many innings on his arm for the first time in his career. Some nights Thor and the rest of the staff will be lights out and other nights they will have to claw their way through 6 innings. .

Everyone is on pins and needles to some degree as a fan but the extreme range of comments is over the top. We were not 50-1 favorites to sweep this series nor are the Royals head and shoulders better than us as was implied after they went up 2-0 in the series.

Tonight's a big game for the Mets ONLY because they blew game one.

I think Matz's curveball plays well against this line-up but we can't let Chris Young mow us down again. If we get the series even tonight with Matz I love our chances in that we have Harvey-deGrom and Thor lined up for game 5, 6 and 7. 

Archived