2015 Mets thread!

adb280z

Report: Matt Harvey could start Game 1

nym.png&w=110&h=110Although the Mets have Jacob deGrom penciled in for Game 1, and Harvey lined up for Game 2, a source told Newsday that the aces might be flipped for concern over deGrom's workload. He's the only Mets pitcher to make three postseason starts this year, and has thrown a team-high 20 innings.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

METS SET WORLD SERIES ROTATION

nym.png&w=110&h=110

The order for their series against the Royals will be Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard and Steven Matz. Explaining why deGrom won't start Game 1, manager Terry Collins said he could use extra rest.

Makes sense to give deGrom extra rest if Collins thinks he's tired.  Syndergaard has more pressure on him in game 3, but he has been good at Citifield,  Also, that lines up Thor for Game 7 if it goes that far.  Hope Harvey can pitch twice this series if necessary.

So, uh, Hi. 

I was wrong about these Mets and their plans. I was wrong about Sandy. I was wrong about the way I thought the team should move forward. I made a bunch of foolish and short-sighted observations about the Mets franchise. Around 100 or so of those observations in this thread alone, I'd suspect, and I deserve any and all derision that comes my way. Not that I have any great import regarding the content of these threads, but I feel sh*tty about being a part of the chattering class at times. I am a pretty stoic guy for the most part, but I allow myself to be passionate about weird things like the Mets and Jets, and movies and the like--relatively trivial bullsh*t.

At times, this passion takes me to reactionary and silly places. With the Mets, this year, I've never been so happy to be so passionately wrong about something in my life. 

Anyway, by way of recompense to the members of this thread, to Sandy Alderson, and to help assuage the regret that I feel over losing faith in this team, I just made a $100 dollar donation to Wounded Warriors. I realize it's a weird way to acknowledge my earlier dickishness, but diverting some of that foolishness to help a worthy cause makes me feel less dopey. LGM.

don_zpszlm4iefl.jpg

All is forgiven.

Makes sense to give deGrom extra rest if Collins thinks he's tired.  Syndergaard has more pressure on him in game 3, but he has been good at Citifield,  Also, that lines up Thor for Game 7 if it goes that far.  Hope Harvey can pitch twice this series if necessary.

It makes more sense to rest deGrom and Thor an extra day or two because both those guys have thrived in the immediate starts after extra rest. Harvey always seems to have trouble getting his best stuff until at least he's got one start fully in the bag after an extended rest period. 

deGrom also clearly did not have his best stuff the past two starts. He fought through like a beast because he has the biggest pair of balls in the history of humanity but the dude is clearly tired. 

You know what, I 100% hope you guys win.  Watching the Jets again today, all I can say is I wonder if they ever will.

It's great having your team win once, and not when you are 5 years old.  I hope you get that.  I'll be honest, I don't really hope you get a run like the Yanks had in the late 90's, but I hope you guys get one, and you can gloat all off season, because everyone needs that once, and as a Jets fan and a Mets fan, you deserve it.  (I really hope that didn't come off as condescending, it wasn't meant to)

You know what, I 100% hope you guys win.  Watching the Jets again today, all I can say is I wonder if they ever will.

It's great having your team win once, and not when you are 5 years old.  I hope you get that.  I'll be honest, I don't really hope you get a run like the Yanks had in the late 90's, but I hope you guys get one, and you can gloat all off season, because everyone needs that once, and as a Jets fan and a Mets fan, you deserve it.  (I really hope that didn't come off as condescending, it wasn't meant to)

I'll be honest, and I think I speak for a lot of Mets fans (not all, but a lot) when I say I want this for David Wright as much as myself.

Kansas City sports fans have not had it easy either. And I'll be happy for them if they win; but it would just be a real shame if this Mets team didn't pull this off. There's something about this team that sticks out, they're fighting for something a little bigger than the game. The way they handled themselves through things like the Utley debacle and fighting through some abysmal lineups all year, Cespedes, Wilmer, the way every win seems to be a total team effort from top to bottom, the saga of the captain, taking down the Cy Young trifecta, Murphy...etc. It's been one of the most amazing sports narratives I have ever witnessed, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Mets fan, these guys truly came out of nowhere and have done so as underdogs the entire way with some seriously storybook sh*t happening the entire time (Flores' walkoff, Wright's homer his first AB back...etc, I mean come on, if you wrote this stuff people would roll their eyes). No matter what happens, this has been the greatest baseball season of my life, but it would be saddening if they didn't complete the story.

You can root for a team your entire life and never get a season like this. Ever. A World Series run? Sure. But nothing like what this year has been. Maybe we get back here again. And with our pitching I certainly like our chances, but it won't come at the hands of a miracle season.

I'll be honest, and I think I speak for a lot of Mets fans (not all, but a lot) when I say I want this for David Wright as much as myself.

Kansas City sports fans have not had it easy either. And I'll be happy for them if they win; but it would just be a real shame if this Mets team didn't pull this off. There's something about this team that sticks out, they're fighting for something a little bigger than the game. The way they handled themselves through things like the Utley debacle and fighting through some abysmal lineups all year, Cespedes, Wilmer, the way every win seems to be a total team effort from top to bottom, the saga of the captain, taking down the Cy Young trifecta, Murphy...etc. It's been one of the most amazing sports narratives I have ever witnessed, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Mets fan, these guys truly came out of nowhere and have done so as underdogs the entire way with some seriously storybook sh*t happening the entire time (Flores' walkoff, Wright's homer his first AB back...etc, I mean come on, if you wrote this stuff people would roll their eyes). No matter what happens, this has been the greatest baseball season of my life, but it would be saddening if they didn't complete the story.

You can root for a team your entire life and never get a season like this. Ever. A World Series run? Sure. But nothing like what this year has been. Maybe we get back here again. And with our pitching I certainly like our chances, but it won't come at the hands of a miracle season.

It just feels like the way the Mets SHOULD win a title.  In '69 they went from worst to first in a year.  In '86 it was the miraculous Game 6.  A championship in 2015 would fall in line with our 2 prior titles, but is perhaps even more improbable. 

That was the one thing about this post season, aside from the Cards.

Houston, never won a WS.  Texas, never won a WS, and had a devastating loss just a few years ago.  Toronto, not since 92-93.  Mets, 86, Royals 85, Dodgers, 88.  Cubs, not since before the invention of the airplane.  Someone, was going to have a long streak ended.

And that's the thing with 30+ teams.  An average dry spell is 30 years, but when teams repeat, and average dry spell is going to be more like 50 years.  So enjoy it, and I do hope it winds up going well for you.  (Cause it's not like football is going to make this any easier)

It just feels like the way the Mets SHOULD win a title.  In '69 they went from worst to first in a year.  In '86 it was the miraculous Game 6.  A championship in 2015 would fall in line with our 2 prior titles, but is perhaps even more improbable. 

I think the only other comparable season is '69. They won 98 games in '85, and while that season was a huge part of my childhood, in no way shape or form did that team come completely out of nowhere in the manner this team did. They went into spring training telling everyone they would win; there's a story that they sent a bunch of t-shirts to Whitey Herzog and the rest of the Cardinals before the season started that said 1986 champs, then beat the crap out of everyone all year and never let up. They got the miracle label, and rightfully so, because of how everything went down in the playoffs.

I think the only other comparable season is '69. They won 98 games in '85, and while that season was a huge part of my childhood, in no way shape or form did that team come completely out of nowhere in the manner this team did. They went into spring training telling everyone they would win; there's a story that they sent a bunch of t-shirts to Whitey Herzog and the rest of the Cardinals before the season started that said 1986 champs, then beat the crap out of everyone all year and never let up. They got the miracle label, and rightfully so, because of how everything went down in the playoffs.

THAT was a talented team, and I thought they'd win more than one.  And even though it was 6 instead of 7, that LCS with Houston was epic.  For the Mets, that game 6 was their game 7 because they were not beating Mike Scott game 7. 

This team is a good team who has exceded expectations, and is built for post season with that killer staff.

The Mets have been a great story all year and it's fitting for them to close this out.  Yes, KC has not had it easy, but last year was their "story year," but they couldn't close it out like they should've.  This is the kind of year where a non-Mets fan would buy the 2015 Mets Championship Blu-Ray because of how compelling their story was.

Although there are obvious distinctions, this year and this Mets team reminds me of the 1996 Yankees with all their great story lines and improbable championship run.

The Mets have been a great story all year and it's fitting for them to close this out.  Yes, KC has not had it easy, but last year was their "story year," but they couldn't close it out like they should've.  This is the kind of year where a non-Mets fan would buy the 2015 Mets Championship Blu-Ray because of how compelling their story was.

Although there are obvious distinctions, this year and this Mets team reminds me of the 1996 Yankees with all their great story lines and improbable championship run.

Yeah, like the fact that I don't have to watch Darryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, and David Cone win rings with the ******* Yankees.

I woke up this morning and said, Holy Sh!t, the Mets are playing in Game 1 of the WS today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS GO METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still feel like I'm dreaming all of this.  I'm not sure when it will feel real.  First pitch?  Maybe not even then.

Yeah, like the fact that I don't have to watch Darryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, and David Cone win rings with the ******* Yankees.

Well, Yankee fans get to watch Granderson and Kevin Long win rings with the ******* Mets.

BTW, I'm only upset about Long because the Yanks have the penchant of repeatedly firing hitting coaches (they did again this year) rather than looking at the GM who keeps on acquiring/holding on to broken down hitters who can't hit in the clutch.

Lets Go Mets!

Game 1 New York Mets lineup presented by GEICO:

1. Curtis Granderson (L) RF
2. David Wright (R) 3B
3. Daniel Murphy (L) 2B...
4. Yoenis Cespedes (R) CF
5. Lucas Duda (L) 1B
6. Travis d'Arnaud (R) C
7. Michael Conforto (L) LF
8. Wilmer Flores (R) SS
9. Kelly Johnson (L) DH

Well, Yankee fans get to watch Granderson and Kevin Long win rings with the ******* Mets.

BTW, I'm only upset about Long because the Yanks have the penchant of repeatedly firing hitting coaches (they did again this year) rather than looking at the GM who keeps on acquiring/holding on to broken down hitters who can't hit in the clutch.

I feel like Granderson is going more of the Gary Carter route with his career. Sure, he's beloved by more than one fanbase, but end of the day everyone who loves baseball loves the guy.

Archived