Jets Should Work to Retain Harvin

JetNation

If he does remain with the team, exactly what role do you envision him having? If we run the spread offense, I expect Harvin to excel as the plan is to get players in space. This is exactly where Harvin will excel.

He thinks they'll use him on 2-3 quick slants per game because he won't be able to get open on any deep stuff.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He thinks they'll use him on 2-3 quick slants per game because he won't be able to get open on any deep stuff.

LOL, but this isn't the Schotty offense. I think we should keep him honestly. He's a playmaker and a threat. The jets should be acquiring these type of players, not letting them go.

LOL, but this isn't the Schotty offense. I think we should keep him honestly. He's a playmaker and a threat. The jets should be acquiring these type of players, not letting them go.

Preaching to the choir my friend.  I get the hesitation to overpay, but I also feel like the Jets haven't had an offense that scares defenses in forever.  This group could do that. 

I'd honestly be fine with the Jets letting Harvin go if they just sit down with him to explain  his role and he balks at it.  Maybe the fact that this would be the third team he's played for that doesn't want him lining up as a traditional WR it'll sink in and he'll want to play in a (possibly) spread offense with a chance to beat inferior defenders.

No I didn't say that. He either won't be open OR wouldn't necessarily be thrown to when he is. And when he is thrown to it will be a lower percentage attempt. He was open on deep stuff last year. Geno doesn't throw it, or if he does he misses the mark by too much.

He doesn't work through his progressions like a good QB. It would be just another body. Get another QB and then one can better argue the merits or value of trading away a 4th rounder for a year of upgrading 4 veteran receiving targets to 5.

If Gailey wanted him that badly and felt he was that essential, don't you think we'd have just kept him?

The role being outlined for him is that of a part time player.

Preaching to the choir my friend.  I get the hesitation to overpay, but I also feel like the Jets haven't had an offense that scares defenses in forever.  This group could do that. 

I'd honestly be fine with the Jets letting Harvin go if they just sit down with him to explain  his role and he balks at it.  Maybe the fact that this would be the third team he's played for that doesn't want him lining up as a traditional WR it'll sink in and he'll want to play in a (possibly) spread offense with a chance to beat inferior defenders.

I doubt very much that would sink in because he knows no team pays his salary to a part time player if it isn't guaranteed. He'd rather be a free agent.

No I didn't say that. He either won't be open OR wouldn't necessarily be thrown to when he is. And when he is thrown to it will be a lower percentage attempt. He was open on deep stuff last year. Geno doesn't throw it, or if he does he misses the mark by too much.

He doesn't work through his progressions like a good QB. It would be just another body. Get another QB and then one can better argue the merits or value of trading away a 4th rounder for a year of upgrading 4 veteran receiving targets to 5.

If Gailey wanted him that badly and felt he was that essential, don't you think we'd have just kept him?

The role being outlined for him is that of a part time player.

I'm still praying that Geno won't be the QB  next year.  Several other QB's can hit open receivers deep down the field.

I doubt very much that would sink in because he knows no team pays his salary to a part time player if it isn't guaranteed. He'd rather be a free agent.

In all seriousness...looking at what Cobb and Maclin got in the 10-11 mil range, what do you think Percy gets? 

If he does remain with the team, exactly what role do you envision him having? If we run the spread offense, I expect Harvin to excel as the plan is to get players in space. This is exactly where Harvin will excel.

I think he'd finish the season with 500 yards. He'd be on the sideline outright on more an 50% of our snaps. There are other teams, that don't have 4 other legitimate veteran receivers, on whose offense he would be more vital, and I can't believe he doesn't know it.

In all seriousness...looking at what Cobb and Maclin got in the 10-11 mil range, what do you think Percy gets?

Less.

But it matters not. He is worth more to a team without 4 veteran receivers already and who have a hole at starting WR.

No one's giving him $10.5M/year and even if that somehow happened it wouldn't be to a team that already has Marshall-Decker-Kerley-Amaro lined up and locked in for the next 3 seasons. Plus 2 more WRs drafted last year who did zero as rookies but aren't inherently untalented. I'd rather carry one of them as the 5th WR (or draft a better one) than keep Harvin and box the team out of the roster space for any receivers to groom for later.

I think he'd finish the season with 500 yards. He'd be on the sideline outright on more an 50% of our snaps.  

This statement doesn't account for multiple WR sets, or injuries. Brandon marshall and Eric Decker are not ironmen. 

This statement doesn't account for multiple WR sets, or injuries. Brandon marshall and Eric Decker are not ironmen. 

Oh, but Percy Harvin is an ironman. Or we should sign a guy for some $11M for the season in case one of the starters gets hurt.

What team have you ever seen operate this way and come close to succeeding? 

If Smith (or Hoyer or whoever) sucks with our 4 legitimate targets, plus a back to throw to, then Harvin is not going to materially change things.

He'll make some plays, but not enough to justify everything that goes along with keeping him. Before we signed Marshall, it was still iffy to keep him but it was much easier to justify. Now it's just ludicrous.

Oh, but Percy Harvin is an ironman. Or we should sign a guy for some $11M for the season in case one of the starters gets hurt.

What team have you ever seen operate this way and come close to succeeding? 

If Smith (or Hoyer or whoever) sucks with our 4 legitimate targets, plus a back to throw to, then Harvin is not going to materially change things.

He'll make some plays, but not enough to justify everything that goes along with keeping him. Before we signed Marshall, it was still iffy to keep him but it was much easier to justify. Now it's just ludicrous.

maybe out of 3 good players, 2 are available for every game

we can't look at the lineup and assume no one will ever get hurt

besides, read the headlines the Jets are getting no one it's better to keep Harvin than give the money to the NFLPA. 

this "give it all to MO" plan of yours lacks the key part of actually making the team better.

also you keep talking about the QB isn't a player like Harvin perfect for taking handoffs and end arounds? he can get more production than the other "Pure" WR who rely on the QB

maybe out of 3 good players, 2 are available for every game

we can't look at the lineup and assume no one will ever get hurt

besides, read the headlines the Jets are getting no one it's better to keep Harvin than give the money to the NFLPA. 

this "give it all to MO" plan of yours lacks the key part of actually making the team better.

Where do you get these ridiculous ideas from?

No one trades the 100th pick in the draft for a backup receiver at $10.5M, with a long history of attitude and ego, and thinks he'll just be content with being 3rd or 4th fiddle. 

There is zero chance of one dollar being given back to the NFLPA. Zero. We could bring in no more than two mediocre players and still there would be not one red cent penalized unless they want it to be. This is a ludicrous, fairytale scenario that would not could not happen no matter how many times you fantasize about it.

And Harvin could actually make the team worse despite your dream of him undergoing a complete personal transformation. 3 out of 3 teams already had serious attitude issues with him. The most recent one wouldn't even keep him when they had NO one else and were headed towards the superbowl because he was such a non-team player.

There is zero chance of one dollar being given back to the NFLPA. Zero. We could bring in no more than two mediocre players and still there would be not one red cent penalized unless they want it to be. This is a ludicrous, fairytale scenario that would not could not happen no matter how many times you fantasize about it.

And Harvin could actually make the team worse despite your dream of him undergoing a complete personal transformation. 3 out of 3 teams already had serious attitude issues with him. The most recent one wouldn't even keep him when they had NO one else and were headed towards the superbowl because he was such a non-team player.

they were so far below the floor in 2013 and 2014 they basically have to spend to the cap in 2015 and 2016 to avoid the penalty. I wouldn't call it a zero percent chance. It's a real chance. 

as for Harvin I'll take my chances of him "ruining" a 4-12 team. In fact at 1-7 it was more ruined when he got here. 

they were so far below the floor in 2013 and 2014 they basically have to spend to the cap in 2015 and 2016 to avoid the penalty. I wouldn't call it a zero percent chance. It's a real chance. 

as for Harvin I'll take my chances of him "ruining" a 4-12 team. In fact at 1-7 it was more ruined when he got here.

False. You are 100% totally and completely wrong.

I hope you don't do your own taxes.

Does any team have 3 WR's that all make over 7 million?

The better question is does a team with $7M, $8M, and $4M WRs then trade their 4th round pick for another one at $10.5M who wouldn't even start, is super injury-prone, and has a long history of a terrible me-first/team-last attitude?

I am stunned at the number of people answering "yes" to this question.

The better question is does a team with $7M, $8M, and $4M WRs then trade their 4th round pick for another one at $10.5M who wouldn't even start, is super injury-prone, and has a long history of a terrible me-first/team-last attitude?

I am stunned at the number of people answering "yes" to this question.

you keep talking about the 4th rounder. 

first off it's either a 4th or a 6th, let's not pretend like it's just the 4th. 

The Jets had 3 fourth rounders last year and got nothing 

We could chalk that up to Idzik but history shows it's not a great round. The chances of them getting a Percy Harvin level player in that round are exceedingly small. 

as for the money who are you Woody's accountant? the team should have more talented players not less. 

you keep talking about the 4th rounder. 

first off it's either a 4th or a 6th, let's not pretend like it's just the 4th. 

The Jets had 3 fourth rounders last year and got nothing 

We could chalk that up to Idzik but history shows it's not a great round. The chances of them getting a Percy Harvin level player in that round are exceedingly small. 

as for the money who are you Woody's accountant? the team should have more talented players not less.

Dropping from our 4th to our 6th has the value of a 4th round pick. Or put another way, to get back to where we started in round 4, we'd have to pair a mid-round pick in round 4 to get back up to around pick #100.

The rest of your post is so silly it's not worth responding to.

what it comes down to is I don't see how cutting Harvin makes this team better

it makes the team cheaper. it's already cheap as hell.

We can talk about Spiller or whoever maybe being as good. maybe.  but at this rate who knows who they will sign. All the big names of a couple weeks ago like Cobb and Maclin are all locked up.  

Jets will regret releasing Harvin imho

So you want to pay him 10.5 million dollars? With Brandon Marshall earning almost 8 million and Decker at 7, that is a LOT of money tied up in one position, especially when the guy making the most money has statisically been the most inconsistent and injury prone of the 3.  We can draft a Philip Dorsett or another speedy receiver (Devin Smith if he drops) in the second round plus we have Chris Owuso (who looked good late in the season and as excellent speed) along with both Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa coming back to compete for spots. We will be fine at receiver. 

So you want to pay him 10.5 million dollars? With Brandon Marshall earning almost 8 million and Decker at 7, that is a LOT of money tied up in one position, especially when the guy making the most money has statisically been the most inconsistent and injury prone of the 3.  We can draft a Philip Dorsett or another speedy receiver (Devin Smith if he drops) in the second round plus we have Chris Owuso (who looked good late in the season and as excellent speed) along with both Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa coming back to compete for spots. We will be fine at receiver. 

injuries happen. $10.5M with no guarantees and cap flexibility isn't as expensive as it looks. seems to be moot anyway, Schefter reporting he is to be cut today. On bright side I have him on my dynasty football team and he will surely be more productive on basically any other team

injuries happen. $10.5M with no guarantees and cap flexibility isn't as expensive as it looks. seems to be moot anyway, Schefter reporting he is to be cut today. On bright side I have him on my dynasty football team and he will surely be more productive on basically any other team

Yeah too bad Fantasy football is just that; fantasy.  I understand your point but he not worth 10.5m especially when it comes with our 4th round pick.   See ya Percy.

Have a meeting I have to prepare for now. Carry on with this silly fantasy football type endeavor to keep a 5th receiver with a terrible attitude, for a 4th round pick and $10.5M for 1 year.

I'm not necessarily saying keep Harvin now that we traded for Marshall but if we do who are the 3rd and 4th receivers if Harvin is 5 on the depth chart?

Jets will regret releasing Harvin imho

I hope I'm dead wrong but I agree...somebody will get their hands on him and use him the right way.  Hopefully he does something stupid enough to help balance it out.

I hope I'm dead wrong but I agree...somebody will get their hands on him and use him the right way.  Hopefully he does something stupid enough to help balance it out.

It is some solace that Jets probably would not have been able to deploy him effectively this year with Geno/Rookie behind center.

Team to watch for Percy Harvin: The New England #Patriots. I’m told there is a good chance that’s his spot.

We've been hearing about Patriots wanting Harvin for a couple of weeks. I wonder if he'd have renegotiated if this wasn't out there. Yes, I'm insinuating tampering.

Archived