Baldinger: "Jets defense has chance to be the best"

DaBallhawk

Getting some love from Baldinger, can't say I disagree with him. He breaks down some of the blitzes Bowles used last season, the coverages they played. And he didn't even have an elite rusher to pressure the QB. The more I think about it, the more I love this fit. He shut down the best passing attacks in the league with an average Cards defense that doesn't even an edge rusher. In the AFC he won't face as many great passing attacks, and our run defense is already among the best. This defense has so much potential if you look at how much better it is on paper than the Cards defense. You throw in a pass rusher in round 1 and - on paper - this defense has a legit shot to be the best in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000480213/Baldinger-Jets-defense-has-chance-to-be-best-in-NFL?utm_content=buffera122b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Cards Have some VERY good players on their D that ARE Equally as good as ours.

Many were hurt last year.

Anyway, I don't care about where we end up with defensive rankings. I care about wins. If this defense is so good that it's winning games for us, then excellent. 

Impossible , there's no Ryan patrolling the jets sideline , therefore we can't be good.

As long as a team has good players they have the potential to be good.  This team is now armed with several great players at very key positions...expectations should be very high this season with or without Rex.

The Cards Have some VERY good players on their D that ARE Equally as good as ours.

Some. Yes. Every team has "some" very good players. Well, except for the Jaguars/Raiders I guess.

Wilk, Snacks, Sheldon. How does ARI match that? Campbell is somewhat similar to Mo. Snacks is lightyears ahead of Dan Williams. I don't even know who their other DE is but I'm sure Sheldon smacks him aside. You add in Coples, Harris, DD. I'll take our LB corps over their trash (Larry Foote, Abraham etc.). Daryl Washington is very good, but he didn't play last year. Peterson is a good corner, we have Revis. They have Cro...oh, wait. I'll also take Pryor over Bucannon, but they're about the same at this point. Honey Badger is a promising centerfielder, I'll take him over Gilchrist (we'll see how he does here next year). The Cards have some good players but on paper we smoke them. On paper. In theory. Whether that translates on to the field next season remains to be seen. Bowles got a bunch of mediocre players to play within the scheme, they played hard, he got the most out of them and got them to play at their highest level. If he does that with our guys, with a way more talented defense, the sky is the limit. If not then it's not gonna work out. Paper doesn't mean squat. They have to prove it.

Many were hurt last year.

Anyway, I don't care about where we end up with defensive rankings. I care about wins. If this defense is so good that it's winning games for us, then excellent. 

I think we all care about wins. Playing great on defense certainly helps achieving that goal. It's not like you have to pick one. Either play good ball on defense or offense...

Any news on Moore? I know he He had a visit yesterday hopefully he's still here.

Last I heard he was still in the facility very late in the day.  I was hoping they'd get things wrapped up but apparently not.  I did a few searches this am but no updates since early evening yesterday.

If the media wants to get into this kind of stuff, fine.  But I don't want to hear this kind of stuff coming

out of the team.  I'm beyond tired of hearing these kind of boasts coming out of players mouths and

not seeing the production on the field.  We need to be about the work not the talk going forward

Who's the QB again?

Jets. Fan.

As of right now it's Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is the first QB we've had in almost a decade who actually throws more touchdowns than interceptions on a regular basis while completing 60% of his passes.  With an elite defense, which is what this should be, that type of production is plenty good to make the playoffs.

Look at the teams the Jets had that made deep playoff runs.  HORRIBLE QB play and great defense.  With that being the case, no reason to think average/above average QB play and great defense can't do the same.

We don't need a hall of fame QB to win the superbowl. The Pats do. The Broncos do. The Saints do. The Cards don't. If they can have a decent shot at winning the superbowl with Palmer at QB, no running game, no O-Line and a defense that (on paper, as of now) is not better than ours, then we should feel good about our chances this year. I'll take a great defense, a good running game and ok QB play over hall of fame QB play paired with a bad defense and no running game. All day.

If Fitz can play decent QB, not even great, this team should be able to compete for the division, and I really don't see anything that dangerous in the AFC this year as of right now.

Of course, that is a big if for Fitz, I am not holding my breath, he has never really done that to date IMO.

I think we all care about wins. Playing great on defense certainly helps achieving that goal. It's not like you have to pick one. Either play good ball on defense or offense...

I was making reference to the 4 win seasons in which Rex boasted about being the number whatever defense against the run. It was sarcasm.

I was making reference to the 4 win seasons in which Rex boasted about being the number whatever defense against the run. It was sarcasm.

Our defense sucked last year, only a handful of teams gave up more points than we did. Playing the run well doesn't mean you have a great defense, especially not if you give up 80+ yd touchdown passes regularly. I get what you're trying to say, but a great defense or good defensive play is always a good thing, no matter how bad your offense is.

Our defense sucked last year, only a handful of teams gave up more points than we did. Playing the run well doesn't mean you have a great defense, especially not if you give up 80+ yd touchdown passes regularly. I get what you're trying to say, but a great defense or good defensive play is always a good thing, no matter how bad your offense is.

Yes, Daballhawk, I know.

Rex would boast about the one statistical category on defense where we could "look good", while ignoring the rest of the stats, and offense, and wins. 

I'm not saying a great defense isn't a good thing. That would be foolish. It was just a sarcastic shot at Rex. I'm not sure how else to explain this to you, but you don't need to fire any more neurons over it.

As of right now it's Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is the first QB we've had in almost a decade who actually throws more touchdowns than interceptions on a regular basis while completing 60% of his passes. With an elite defense, which is what this should be, that type of production is plenty good to make the playoffs.

Look at the teams the Jets had that made deep playoff runs. HORRIBLE QB play and great defense. With that being the case, no reason to think average/above average QB play and great defense can't do the same.

Ok

Look at the teams the Jets had that made deep playoff runs.  HORRIBLE QB play and great defense.  With that being the case, no reason to think average/above average QB play and great defense can't do the same.

In the 2009 regular season, that was true, but in the playoffs, Sanchez was actually far from horrible. He wasnt great by any stretch, but he was not horrible in the playoffs in 2009.

In 2010, Sanchez was average in the regular season, maybe below average, but pretty good in the playoffs. The Jets did NOT have HORRIBLE QB play in the playoffs in either years, this is a false statement.

The Jets probably aren't going to have the best defense in the league. There's no upside. People forget that packing your team with free agents lowers your ceiling while it raises your floor. Revis, especially first in the boat, sure, the juice is worth the squeeze. That makes you better all the way down the line and doesn't hinder your ability to build depth and add value with competition. Having Cromartie on top of two other corners (or David Harris at all) to fall back on like it's five years ago, while comforting, is limiting. The idea that guys like Dee Milliner or the rookie linebackers or whoever are just gonna get good now is an insane pipe dream. They aren't gonna play, and contrary to popular perception coaching up isn't really a thing. The amount of time they spend teaching technique as opposed to installing schemes is basically negligible and that goes double for guys who aren't playing.

In the 2009 regular season, that was true, but in the playoffs, Sanchez was actually far from horrible. He wasnt great by any stretch, but he was not horrible in the playoffs in 2009.

In 2010, Sanchez was average in the regular season, maybe below average, but pretty good in the playoffs. The Jets did NOT have HORRIBLE QB play in the playoffs in either years, this is a false statement.

More turnovers than touchdowns and a sub 55% comp pct is what I would call horrible, but to each his own.

The thing that stopped him from being horrible in the playoffs was an offense that was run, run, run, run, run, run, quick pass, run, run, run, etc....

2009 playoff run consisted of 80 run plays and 38 passes.  They did everything they could to protect him from himself.

2009 took a lead into half time vs. the Colts, came out in the second half and put up a goose egg...zero points...I guess 17 points and a second half shutout ins't horrible...it's just not very good...I apologize.

2010 wasn't much better. 

Rd 1- 189 yds passing with zero TD's and one INT...defense and running game won despite Sanchez...again.

Rd 2- 16-25 3 TD's and no INT's vs the Pats...great game and I thank him for it.

Rd 3- Last second FG prevents another scoreless half vs. Steelers as he goes 3-9 with 23 passing yds and a fumble that went for a Pitt TD before FG drive.  Had a nice second half, but horrible play in first half was too much to overcome.

Forgive me if I don't miss a guy with 82 career TD's/118 turnovers and 56% completion percentage who was carried to more wins than any QB this team has ever had.

Sanchez is the biggest reason we didn't win a Super Bowl in 2009 or 2010.

We haven't fixed our QB situation and almost assuredly won't this offseason.  But Ryan Fitzpatrick will provide the best QB play for the Jets since Week 11 of the 2008 season.  Sad statement, yes.  But true.  Hopefully the rest of the roster makes us an attractive destination for us to make a big move for a QB next offseason.

It's easy to be negative.  More fun to be positive.

More turnovers than touchdowns and a sub 55% comp pct is what I would call horrible, but to each his own.

The thing that stopped him from being horrible in the playoffs was an offense that was run, run, run, run, run, run, quick pass, run, run, run, etc....

2009 playoff run consisted of 80 run plays and 38 passes.  They did everything they could to protect him from himself.

2009 took a lead into half time vs. the Colts, came out in the second half and put up a goose egg...zero points...I guess 17 points and a second half shutout ins't horrible...it's just not very good...I apologize.

2010 wasn't much better. 

Rd 1- 189 yds passing with zero TD's and one INT...defense and running game won despite Sanchez...again.

Rd 2- 16-25 3 TD's and no INT's vs the Pats...great game and I thank him for it.

Rd 3- Last second FG prevents another scoreless half vs. Steelers as he goes 3-9 with 23 passing yds and a fumble that went for a Pitt TD before FG drive.  Had a nice second half, but horrible play in first half was too much to overcome.

Forgive me if I don't miss a guy with 82 career TD's/118 turnovers and 56% completion percentage who was carried to more wins than any QB this team has ever had.

I love it how when someone is proven wrong with facts, they change the argument. You said they had HORRIBLE QB play in the playoffs during their deep playoff runs.

You were wrong, I don't miss Sanchez one bit, and Rex destroyed him to the point where he will never be a decent QB, but the guy was NOT HORRIBLE int he playoffs as you had originally said, Its virtually impossible to win 4 road playoff games with HORRIBLE QB play.

Archived