Brandon Marshall will wear #15

joewilly12

Here's a minor transaction note that has an amusing story preceding it: 

Not a huge deal, right? The Jets' newest wide receiver, Brandon Marshall, will wear the same jersey number he wore with the Bears, who traded him to the Jets this offseason. 

But it does make you wonder if Marshall actually had to race fellow Jets receiver Saalim Hakim for the number

Hakim challenged Marshall to a 40-yard dash, in an Instagram video. Hakim said that if Marshall beat him -- which is unlikely, because Hakim is one of the Jets' fastest players -- then Marshall could have No. 15. Hakim said that if Marshall didn't beat him, then he could still have the number, but at the price tag of $25,000. 

• Jets' Todd Bowles on Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick: 'You don't have to win with a franchise quarterback' 
• Players connected to the Jets in 2015 mock drafts

High-profile newcomer players giving money to current players for a jersey number is common practice in the NFL. It's unclear how much -- if anything -- Marshall had to cough up to Hakim for No. 15. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

HATE the use of this word.

I have a special needs child. Hate the word, too. People don't realize how cringe-worthy it is to others so I try not to get too uptight over it.

Only in certain instances it works. George Carlin had a great stand-up bit on handicapped people; While he didnt use the word, he could have gotten away with it because it was a damn funny bit.

The other instance where it was funny was Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder..."Never go full retard." That was funny as hell. I assume it was dialogue written by Ben Stiller who, like Carlin, does a pretty good job of getting away with cringe-worthy stuff for the sake of comedy. He did it in something about Mary w Matt Dillon trying to impress Mary..."I volunteer at a Special needs home. I love those retards."

Back to Marshall wearing #15....<yawn>..Score 10+ TDs and I'll care about what jersey # hes wearing.

I have a special needs child. Hate the word, too. People don't realize how cringe-worthy it is to others so I try not to get too uptight over it.

Only in certain instances it works. George Carlin had a great stand-up bit on handicapped people; While he didnt use the word, he could have gotten away with it because it was a damn funny bit.

The other instance where it was funny was Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder..."Never go full retard." That was funny as hell. I assume it was dialogue written by Ben Stiller who, like Carlin, does a pretty good job of getting away with cringe-worthy stuff for the sake of comedy. He did it in something about Mary w Matt Dillon trying to impress Mary..."I volunteer at a Special needs home. I love those retards."

Back to Marshall wearing #15......Score 10+ TDs and I'll care about what jersey # hes wearing.

HATE the use of this word.

Yup I hate it too, I have a brother with down syndrome and work in the field too.....but I also realize others may not realize how shltty of a word it can be, and they don't have the same perspective as me.

Still I don't use it, and once I went through my teen years and matured a little I stopped using the word gay just about all together so I wouldn't offend anyone the same way retard bothers me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

And then people with a limp get all over the word 'lame'....That's THEIR word!

And then comedians will get offended at the phrase 'is this a joke?'...I mean, only comedians can make 'jokes', right?

And before anyone gets all butt hurt, which I'm sure is coming, I'm Irish American and could give 2 sh*ts about the term 'Paddy wagon'.

IOW, you have no right to not be offended and you sound like a bunch of babies. Ah sh*t, I just offended every human and fetus under 18 months didn't I?

Back to Marshall wearing #15....<yawn>..Score 10+ TDs and I'll care about what jersey # hes wearing.

I grew up and was very close to a special needs child and I absolutely have no problem whatsoever with it.  Because to me, using the word to call out somebody else is in no way, shape or form belittling Jenn, who was like a sister to me. I hate that people find the correlation. There is none. There is absolute zero intent to hurt your feelings or the special needs person you know when somebody uses it as a derogatory remark towards somebody else. Saying all that I try really hard not to use the word at all anymore because I know it hurts other people. As much as it really bothers me that it does. With the utmost respect for you and your kid. 

Yup I hate it too, I have a brother with down syndrome and work in the field too.....but I also realize others may not realize how shltty of a word it can be, and they don't have the same perspective as me.

Still I don't use it, and once I went through my teen years and matured a little I stopped using the word gay just about all together so I wouldn't offend anyone the same way retard bothers me.

So I have a gay sister. And using the word "gay" is in no way offensive to me or her. What's offensive is when somebody shows intent to be cruel, mean or hurtful towards somebody who's gay just because they're gay. I find it so frustrating that "people" can't ALL understand the difference. It's why I really have very little faith in humanity and in general, don't like humans. jmo 

So I have a gay sister. And using the word "gay" is in no way offensive to me or her. What's offensive is when somebody shows intent to be cruel, mean or hurtful towards somebody who's gay just because they're gay. I find it so frustrating that "people" can't ALL understand the difference. It's why I really have very little faith in humanity and in general, don't like humans. jmo 

It shouldn't be the original meaning of Gay was cheerful,happy,lively..etc

I feel like more thanks to you. Just my own perspective. I'm sure no one agrees lol. 

No, thanks to the Butt Hurt Brigade, led by you.

Your mask fell off. We will speak in a way you agree with or we will not speak at all. Sound about right?

I posted a Jets football related article and then the other poster ridiculed it using a not so nice word others agree with me and then theres fools like you who dont understand a damn thing.

I posted a Jets football related article and then the other poster ridiculed it using a not so nice word others agree with me and then theres fools like you who dont understand a damn thing just here to ridicule and argue. GFY

You're probably the least self aware person I've come across on the internet.

Instead of ignoring the comment you went full flamed jackass and made it about how you FEELZ. You derailed the thread, not him.

And that's why I don't lose my cool or get pissed off when people use the word retard because they didn't grow up like I did and most times there's no ill intent. Still doesn't mean it isn't ignorant to use it, and it's your or anyone's right to use it, and I can take offense if I want as well, that's either persons choice.

Growing up going to parks to play at a young age and the kid your shooting hoops with makes a comment about the "retard" over there, talking about my brother but not knowing I'm related to him, so I have to punch his fvckin teeth in, so the word strikes a nerve with me. I'm older now, more mature and don't deal with anyone using it in that manner like I did when we were kids, I understand not everyone has I'll intent too so I don't react in that manner and mostly just chalk it up to ignorance.

People can agree or disagree with how I feel about that word, that's you're choice. Just letting you know why I don't use that word or care for it cause I've seen how it can affect people with disabilities and their loved ones.

You're probably the least self aware person I've come across on the internet.

Instead of ignoring the comment you went full flamed jackass and made it about how you FEELZ. You derailed the thread, not him.

No I posted the thread he/she commented using the term that derailed the thread I won't ignore assholes you use the term so loosely its an offensive term like it or not. 

Others also agree with me dont ignore them. 

I posted a Jets football related article and then the other poster ridiculed it using a not so nice word others agree with me and then theres fools like you who dont understand a damn thing.

I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say. Or maybe you do. 

Just to clarify, I don't believe people need to walk around o egg shells and watch every word they use in fear of offending someone.....just think being respectful towards others and having a little sensitivity to words that have been used to put down others or make them feel less than human wouldn't kill anyone. That's how I feel anyways when it comes to retard, fag, etc.

That's how I feel and that's how I was raised. You don't have to agree with me, just like I don't have to agree with you.

Archived