Kiper's final mock

DaBallhawk

He's not exactly the best talent evaluator but he's been pretty accurate (the most accurate?) in the past as far doing mocks.

1 - TB - QB Jameis Winston

2 - TEN - QB Marcus Mariota

3 - JAX - DL Leonard Williams

4 - OAK - WR Amari Cooper

5 - WAS - OLB Dante Fowler Jr.

6 - NYJ - WR Kevin White

Why they take him: White checks off a few boxes as the best player available while addressing a need, and this is a team that needs just a little more offense to compete with any team, thanks to the defense.

For whatever it's worth, Mike Mayock also has Kevin White going to the Jets at 6 in his latest mock.

Would not be a disaster (although I would prefer Cooper).  The guy has a fire in his belly and he plays his ass off.  He wants to be great, you can see it in his play.  And with his tools he should be able to accomplish that.    All of a sudden we would have a couple of playmakers on offense.  Geno might start to look pretty decent.

and this is a team that needs just a little more offense to compete with any team, thanks to the defense.

I agree.

Its so tough because I want that defensive pass rusher that we have been missing but White can help the offense in a big way. Although I must say that it is probably easier to find a very good WR mid first round than a potential stud pass rusher and I am hoping we will not be this close to the #1 pick again for a long time.

Would not be a disaster (although I would prefer Cooper).  The guy has a fire in his belly and he plays his ass off.  He wants to be great, you can see it in his play.  And with his tools he should be able to accomplish that.    All of a sudden we would have a couple of playmakers on offense.  Geno might start to look pretty decent.

We would actually have a few playmakers and force defense to pick one or another and create good match up.  But this will most likely not help Geno enough to notice. 

I agree.

Its so tough because I want that defensive pass rusher that we have been missing but White can help the offense in a big way. Although I must say that it is probably easier to find a very good WR mid first round than a potential stud pass rusher and I am hoping we will not be this close to the #1 pick again for a long time.

I think there will be quite a few very intriguing pass rushers available in the 2nd round. Like Shaq Thompson, Eli Harold, Kikaha, Double O. Shane Ray might fall, Gregory might fall, but I doubt it. Dupree looks like a top 15 pick even though IMO he SHOULD be available in the 2nd round, just based on the bust potential. Either way, I think it's smarter to go WR first and then pass rusher instead of the other way.

He's not exactly the best talent evaluator but he's been pretty accurate (the most accurate?) in the past as far doing mocks.

6 - NYJ - WR Kevin White

Why they take him: White checks off a few boxes as the best player available while addressing a need, and this is a team that needs just a little more offense to compete with any team, thanks to the defense.

For whatever it's worth, Mike Mayock also has Kevin White going to the Jets at 6 in his latest mock.

If draft falls like this, I'm pulling for Beasley

Forgot which program Gruden was on today, but he mentioned that White only lines up on the right hand side of the field. The last 3 first rounders with that on their resume were Tayvon Austin, Justin Blackmon and Michael Crabtree. I'm not sure how much to read into that, but it does not incite overwhelming confidence.

6 - NYJ - WR Kevin White

This is exactly how Jetnation voted on the polls I created.

I agree.

Eli Harold or Nate Orchard should be there for the taking at 37.  We get the running back/OL in rounds 3 and or 4. 

Why does everyone have Fowler as a top 5 pick? Is he really that elite? I never heard his name in college like he did with Beasley, Williams and the other top edge rushers.

He is a better all around player; he has great instincts but he is not the pass rusher beasley is. 

If draft falls like this, I'm pulling for Beasley

Sign me up for White over Beasley. You know that both Marshall and Decker seem to always get dinged up. Having White would protect us and when Marshall is gone in 2017, perhaps 2016, White will have had some time to grow.

Why does everyone have Fowler as a top 5 pick? Is he really that elite? I never heard his name in college like he did with Beasley, Williams and the other top edge rushers.

Because he's a more complete player. I don't know why this even matters. Von Miller sucked against the run when he was drafted, so did Aldon Smith, Terrell Suggs, list goes on and on. Beasley is the best pure pass rusher in the draft, if you're looking for a pass rusher that's the guy you should pick ahead of the other guys. He's gonna learn to play the run. He doesn't have to be a force in the running game. You can always sub in somebody on obvious running downs or on 1st down to help him out. Rookie pass rushers usually only play on passing downs anyway.

Because he's a more complete player. I don't know why this even matters. Von Miller sucked against the run when he was drafted, so did Aldon Smith, Terrell Suggs, list goes on and on. Beasley is the best pure pass rusher in the draft, if you're looking for a pass rusher that's the guy you should pick ahead of the other guys. He's gonna learn to play the run. He doesn't have to be a force in the running game. You can always sub in somebody on obvious running downs or on 1st down to help him out. Rookie pass rushers usually only play on passing downs anyway.

Thank you. I think you expressed it perfectly.

No. Our only other upgrade is a WR who is over 30 and was injury prone last season.

Plus who plays the slot if Kerley is gone?

If the Jets take a WR at #6 -unless he's a bust- he'll minimally be the team's #3 WR. In which case, Decker would probably move to the slot on three receiver downs. They've got Owusu who looked pretty good, and Evans and Enunwa from last year's draft. A bit of a glut if they take a WR high. Also, Kerley's contract is no great bargain (not one of Idzik's rare better moves), and they might look to just move on from it. 

If the Jets take a WR at #6 -unless he's a bust- he'll minimally be the team's #3 WR. In which case, Decker would probably move to the slot on three receiver downs. They've got Owusu who looked pretty good, and Evans and Enunwa from last year's draft. A bit of a glut if they take a WR high. Also, Kerley's contract is no great bargain (not one of Idzik's rare better moves), and they might look to just move on from it. 

There are lot of WR bodies but not many true NFL starting caliber WR's other than Decker , Kerley and Marshall. Now Marshall is coming from an injury prone season. Beyond that this team as of now does not have a potential starting WR on the team. If they draft one in the first round you would expect that to take the count to four.

Now you know i been high on the potential of Enunwa and I think Evans issues are fixable with good coaching and lot of hard work. But you cannot bank on Evans, Enunwa and Owusu who has played WR but only on a team where the two real WR options were Decker and Kerley.  I would not bank on any of them unless they show me otherwise, in the training camp, in the pre-season and carry that performance to the regular season. Till then if the JETS draft a WR in the first round I would look at it as a team of 4 legit WR's with some healthy competition for the remaining spots.

Decker is very talented. But i won't think it's easy to just step into the slot and start playing right away. We need Kerley who has done very well at that position.

Archived