Idziks Picks Have a Chance to Shine

JetBlue

I didnt really get the Lorenzo Maudin pick - he is prob a little faster then IK but IK has power.  I think IK will start over him

Pryor needs to beat out Jarret and I have doubts he will

Amaro will be good

McDougle will prob make the team but doubt he sees the active roster

I think Evans will beat out Posey and Enunwa - maybe 1 or both those guys get the PS

Dozier PS if he lucky 

It will be between Reilly and Babin for last slot there I think and Reilly will win since he can back into coverage - Babin 1 trick pony

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior will be serviceable and so will Amaro, Dexter "IF" he's not permo injured. The Receivers, Nill chance, they have Marshall, Decker, kerley, D Smith, all above them, and not forgetting a Texan guy DeVier Posey, who super Mac traded for.

I they will be very lucky to make the roster.

Jets will probably carry 6 maybe 7 receivers.  Shaq or Enunwa could grab one of those spots; it is all about the competition; there is no guarantee Posey makes the team, even if he was part of a trade. 

Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Dexter Mcdougle, Shaq Evans, IK, Dozier, Enunwa, Reilly.  Of that group only two of them consistently  saw the field and neither of them played up to expectations.  That stated, I believe there is a lot of talent here and I excited to see what Bowles and his staff can do with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they most of them make the squad.  On defense, I am really high on Mcdougle as a slot corner and IK perhaps making Babin expendable as a pass rusher.  Reilly reminds me of a throw back type player in that he seems to be very instinctive, heady player and can a number of things well, including pass rush.  Needless to say, Calvin Pryor needs to have a good season and I believe Bowles will get the most out of his talent.   Marcus Williams wasn't drafted but probably had a better season than any rookie that was.  

I already started a thread on Amaro and I believe his has a very high ceiling and will really excel under Gailey.   I know a lot of fans feel we whiffed on wide receiver last year but I don't agree with that, I do believe both Shaq Evans and Enunwa can play in the NFL and will be a legit part of competition.  I would not be surprised if at least one if not both of them make the squad.   Then there is Dozier who didn't see the field at all last year but has had a chance to spend a year in the teams strength and conditioning program, and should be ready to compete for either a starting or back up guard position.  

When the dust finally clears, it will be very interesting to see how many of these players make the team, become starters or at least rotational players/ contributors.  

Evans and Enuwa may be hard pressed to both make the roster.   Jets have 4 locks to make roster.  Posey was drafted by Macc in the 3rd round, suffered an Achilles .Macc  must still think highly of him to  include him in a trade back.

Lot of RB's now.  Depends how many WR's the Jets are going to carry on the roster.

Dozier Enunwa Dex and IK are gonna make the team. I'd like to think Evans makes the team over Posey too, but that's not certain. Also it depends if we keep 6 or 7 WRs. If we keep 7 I think it's going to be: Decker Marshall Kerley Smith Enunwa Owusu Posey.

I'd like to see our OLB as Coples Mauldin and IK this year. Cut Pace and Babin. But at least one of them (my guess is pace) is staying. I'd rather see the young guns get reps as neither of the old guys are gonna be around next year

I am with you; it is time to move on from Pace.  Between IK, Mauldin and Reilly, I think Pace and or Babin could be expendable.  

Evans and Enuwa may be hard pressed to both make the roster.   Jets have 4 locks to make roster.  Posey was drafted by Macc in the 3rd round, suffered an Achilles .Macc  must still think highly of him to  include him in a trade back.

Lot of RB's now.  Depends how many WR's the Jets are going to carry on the roster.

See unlike last year, it is the competition on the field that will make the difference. If Posey outplays Evans and Enunwa than he should win the job over them. If not, the fact that Mac traded for him, will not matter, if Bowles and Mac are to be believed. The best players will make the roster, regardless of how they got here.   Unlike with Rex, I am actually believe them. 

Evans and Enuwa may be hard pressed to both make the roster. Jets have 4 locks to make roster.

Posey was drafted by Macc in the 3rd round, suffered an Achilles .Macc must still think highly of him to include him in a trade back.

I dunno on what basis you can say Posey was drafted by Maccag's. Was he the GM ? Could it be Maccag's just wanted to give his old team a great gift that he accepted a worthless player who ONLY has 1 catch for 30 yards  instead of a legit draft pick.

I hope whoever they keep is based on purely on performance in training camp and pre-season. Both Enunwa and Evans have the potential to make it to the team.

I dunno on what basis you can say Posey was drafted by Maccag's. Was he the GM ? Could it be Maccag's just wanted to give his old team a great gift that he accepted a worthless player who ONLY has 1 catch for 30 yards  instead of a legit draft pick.

I hope whoever they keep is based on purely on performance in training camp and pre-season. Both Enunwa and Evans have the potential to make it to the team.

That is what I'm talking about.... 

Milliner was a 2013 pick.  Unless I'm mistaken we've only been talking about the '14 class so far.

He was an Idzik pick, but I get what you mean. The OP didn't mention any 2013 guys, even though they were Idzik picks. Idzik had some decent picks, but he whiffed on WRs and FA and that caused the firing. Carrying all that cash and not wanting to spend it on some good corners AND WRs last year, our two bigger weaknesses.

Pryor and Amaro will continue as starters, McDougle will be a dime-CB or backup (for a year or two at least),  the others will never sniff a starting job on this team.

JMO.  Bad draft was generally bad, but IMO Amaro and Pryor will be decent enough long-term starters and McD will contribute.

ya and he has point that there were a few who didnt get to prove themselves,,time will tell as it is with all drafts,,look at in 3 years ....and he did leave Mac some mega-shekels for Free Agency

He was an Idzik pick, but I get what you mean. The OP didn't mention any 2013 guys, even though they were Idzik picks. Idzik had some decent picks, but he whiffed on WRs and FA and that caused the firing. Carrying all that cash and not wanting to spend it on some good corners AND WRs last year, our two bigger weaknesses.

His whiffs in the draft on WR's, and possibly on Milliner (who had an injury history entering the draft, as did McDougle) caused a much larger problem at CB and WR than our lack of willingness to spend at those 2 positions.

Yeah I didn't clarify the picks but I did mean 2014 because it has widely been considered a bad draft and yet some of those picks could emerge and contributors to the team this year and beyond.  As far as 2013 is concerned, that is also intriguing because if Milliner comes back healthy, Aboushi continues to develop and Geno Smith takes that next step, the 2013 draft will look a whole lot better than it does now.  

His whiffs in the draft on WR's, and possibly on Milliner (who had an injury history entering the draft, as did McDougle) caused a much larger problem at CB and WR than our lack of willingness to spend at those 2 positions.

I still have hope Milliner will turn it around this year. Same for McDougle. But yeah, drafting well is where the success is. FA is used for immediate upgrades at hefty prices. Idzik did neither and left a treasure cove for Bowles n Mac.

I still have hope Milliner will turn it around this year. Same for McDougle. But yeah, drafting well is where the success is. FA is used for immediate upgrades at hefty prices. Idzik did neither and left a treasure cove for Bowles n Mac.

Yeah, the truth is always somewhere in the middle.  Many say we had the worst roster in the league before Macc arrived.  Others say Idzik had a solid plan that he never was given the chance to see to fruition.  Neither are true.  The talent Idzik left behind probably wasn't bottom 5 in the league and we did get unlucky with having two season-ending injuries to Milliner and McDougle.  But his plan was only partly good.  Unloading big contracts and taking BPA early in the draft (like Sheldon Richardson) are positives.  Reaching in the middle rounds of the draft for inferior prospects is lousy.

If Quincy and Evans cant beat out Posey thats pretty sad. I wouldnt count on Millner this year coming off an achilles injury. Hopefully they were right about Mcdougle. Hopefully Decker and Marshall stay healthy if not we are back to where we were last year. I can see the argument some are making for passing on Strong.

If Quincy and Evans cant beat out Posey thats pretty sad. I wouldnt count on Millner this year coming off an achilles injury. Hopefully they were right about Mcdougle. Hopefully Decker and Marshall stay healthy if not we are back to where we were last year. I can see the argument some are making for passing on Strong.

I thought Evans was doing well before camp injury per beat reporters?

I think from all the reports from the most recent camp that Enunwa was impressing with his route running.  He is a big, physical receiver with 4.45 speed.  6'3 220.  I think we will be fine.  Posey is a pretty polished receiver who got buried on the bench under the new regime.  He seems to have good speed and hands; seem like a good young, underutilized player.  I think Shaq Evans is the wild card because he is probably the most talented of the three and also has very good size at 6'1 210 and runs in the 4.4s.    These guys will all come to camp very hungry and know that they are fighting for just a few positions.  I would not be surprised if the Jets carry 7 receivers.  If so the first four are Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith.   Evans, Enunwa and Posey will all be in the mix. 

Milliner disagrees. So does McDougle.

Like 80 said, I thought we were talking strictly about last years draft.

I like McDougle but he's got his work cut out for him.  We know - Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner are locks.  The way Williams played last year and the fact Walls basically spent the whole year as a #1 or #2, you have to imagine that both are way out in front of McDougle.  Throw in the fact they might be carrying 5 safeties (Pryor, Gilchrist, Jarrett, Allen, Miles).  That's a least 11 players in the secondary alone...I guess there is room for one more...idk.   But he's going to battling with a couple of other guys trying to make the roster (Lewis, Brown, Phillips).

The WR's? Evans and Enunwa - I give them about a 1% chance to make the final roster.  

Like 80 said, I thought we were talking strictly about last years draft.

I like McDougle but he's got his work cut out for him.  We know - Revis, Cro, Skrine, Milliner are locks.  The way Williams played last year and the fact Walls basically spent the whole year as a #1 or #2, you have to imagine that both are way out in front of McDougle.  Throw in the fact they might be carrying 5 safeties (Pryor, Gilchrist, Jarrett, Allen, Miles).  That's a least 11 players in the secondary alone...I guess there is room for one more...idk.   But he's going to battling with a couple of other guys trying to make the roster (Lewis, Brown, Phillips).

The WR's? Evans and Enunwa - I give them about a 1% chance to make the final roster.  

And what is your reasoning for this if I may ask? 

And what is your reasoning for this if I may ask? 

First and foremost, they suck.  Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith, Posey are locks.  TJ Graham was drafted by Chan Gailey in the 3rd round.  I suspect he makes the team. I think Hakim is over both of them for his play on ST's. And Chris Owusu is better than both.

So I dont see Evans or Enunwa making the team. 

First and foremost, they suck.  Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith, Posey are locks.  TJ Graham was drafted by Chan Gailey in the 3rd round.  I suspect he makes the team. I think Hakim is over both of them for his play on ST's. And Chris Owusu is better than both.

plus isnt Graham a goods ST'er?

Okay so you say.  In other words, you are just basing this on emotion and no facts.   The fact the Evans got hurt in camp and never had a chance to show any thing in preseason is apparently irrelevant to you.  Enunwa showed flashes and that is why he was put on the practice squad and later on the 53 man roster.  He had legal problems early on and later in the season, he never got an opportunity.  

I choose to keep an open mind and see what happens when camp starts and there is true competition.   

Okay so you say.  In other words, you are just basing this on emotion and no facts.   The fact the Evans got hurt in camp and never had a chance to show any thing in preseason is apparently irrelevant to you.  Enunwa showed flashes and that is why he was put on the practice squad and later on the 53 man roster.  He had legal problems early on and later in the season, he never got an opportunity.  

I choose to keep an open mind and see what happens when camp starts and there is true competition.   

No its pretty much all facts.

The Jets added 3 new pass catchers this offseason (Marshall, Smith and Posey) = Fact.  

The likelihood of a 4th and 6th rounder who didnt play a down last season making the team are extremely low, you can check the odds = Fact.

Graham was draft by Gailey in the 3rd round and actually caught 31 passes his rookie season in the system = Fact.

They have a ton of DLmen and CB's to fit into the roster which will probably eat into a sh*tty WR who will contribute absolutely nothing making the roster = Fact.

Powell, Graham and Hakim all contribute on specials, those other guys dont = Fact.

So yeah, I highly doubt either make the 53 man roster.  They certainly wont be dressing game day.

I don't see Posey sniffing being  a lock.  By most accounts Evans was having a sh*tty camp before they shut him down.  He did come in late and miss the mini because he was graduating UCLA.  Enunwa was not poached off the practice squad, so I doubt anybody is too high on him.  There are 4 locks, then Posey, Graham, Evans, Enunwa, Owusu, Hakim and Powell.  Graham and Hakim were gunners last year.  I wonder if they are going to let Smith do that?  Powell returned some, but had some muffs.  He was a 2014 4th round pick they got on waivers from the Cards I think.  Probably not going to make it. 

JiF mentions 5 potential safeties: Pryor, Allen, Gilchrist, Jarrett and Miles.  They also signed UDFA Durrell Eskeridge from Syracuse who seems like a nice developmental prospect.  They probably hope to stash him on the practice squad, but he may stick.  Some people had him as a mid-rounder.

At CB, Curtis Brown was a 3rd rounder who spent three years playing for the Steelers.  He may have been their version of Wilson or maybe he is a player. 

No its pretty much all facts.

The Jets added 3 new pass catchers this offseason (Marshall, Smith and Posey) = Fact.  

The likelihood of a 4th and 6th rounder who didnt play a down last season making the team are extremely low, you can check the odds = Fact.

Graham was draft by Gailey in the 3rd round and actually caught 31 passes his rookie season in the system = Fact.

They have a ton of DLmen and CB's to fit into the roster which will probably eat into a sh*tty WR who will contribute absolutely nothing making the roster = Fact.

Powell, Graham and Hakim all contribute on specials, those other guys dont = Fact.

So yeah, I highly doubt either make the 53 man roster.  They certainly wont be dressing game day.

Thanks, I wish you had posted this before instead the "they suck" nonsense.    Unfortunately that is not a fact, lol.  

What you still don't seem to grasp is this is an OPEN competition and Graham and his 31 catches 3 seasons ago doesn't give him has no leg up on anybody.  Your best point is the fact that Powell Graham and Hakim all play specials.  If all things are equal that probably would be the difference.   If the Jets feel they have some real talented depth I could see them going with 7 receivers in which case Evans or Enunwa could stick.    Also don't assume Posey makes the team just because Mac got him in a trade; he still has to go out and win a job.  

Fact:  In camp Enunwa was considered as doing better than Evans.

Fact: Enunwa was on the practice squad until the last game of the season.

Fact: Graham, Hakim, Owusu, and Powell were on roster the majority of the season

Fact: That means that the team had those 4 ahead of Enunwa and Enunwa > Evans then field > Evans.

Fact: GM drafted Posey who has been on roster his career.

Fact: HC drafted Graham who has been on roster his career.

Fact: They were almost all (certainly Evans and Enunwa) behind Nelson and Salas on the depth chart

Fact: Smith > Nelson and Salas

Fact:  In camp Enunwa was considered as doing better than Evans.

Fact: Enunwa was on the practice squad until the last game of the season.

Fact: Graham, Hakim, Owusu, and Powell were on roster the majority of the season

Fact: That means that the team had those 4 ahead of Enunwa and Enunwa > Evans then field > Evans.

Fact: GM drafted Posey who has been on roster his career.

Fact: HC drafted Graham who has been on roster his career.

Fact: They were almost all (certainly Evans and Enunwa) behind Nelson and Salas on the depth chart

Fact: Smith > Nelson and Salas

What does any of those "facts" have to do with the actual competition in once camp begins in July?  This is 2015;  2014 is pretty irrevelant and none of those guys you mentioned who were on the team with exception of Owusu, distinguished themselves at all. 

I will say this one more time. Unless Bowles and Mac are lying to us, they have stressed THIS IS AN OPEN COMPETITION.   Btw Mac wasn't the GM in Houston because this is his first GM job. He probably was involved in Posey's selection and is obviously familiar with him and that certainly gives him a leg up, but again, he still has earn the job and is not guaranteed a spot.  The only locks are Marshall, Decker, Kerley and Smith.  Everyone else will be fighting for the remaining 2 or 3 positions left. 

Enunwa is my sleeper WR.

Who knows what will happen but Evans showed squat in camp. The backend of the roster will have to play special teams to break any ties that might happen.

With the drafting of Mauldin, Reilly in his 2nd year & grabbing the UDFA Jones, plus already having IK who showed some real promise with very view reps, Pace & Babin will be fighting for their lives this summer!

The young guys (even with their inexperience) give Bowles something we didn't have last year...SPEED!

With our depth at Dline , CB & safety, if we find some powerful fast LBs this defense will be scary.

So while people are calling guys like Reilly & Mauldin, "slower", they are all like rockets compared to the old dudes Pace & Babin.

Bowles is I believe a much better TEACHER than Rex. If he develops a few of these young LBs & Safeties look out!

What does any of those "facts" have to do with the actual competition in once camp begins in July?  This is 2015, 2014 is pretty irrevelant and none of those guys you mentioned who were on the team with exception of Owusu, distinguished themselves at all. 

El Oh El.  You wanted facts you got 'em.  Want to ignore them?  Knock yourself out.  It's 2015, why should JJ Watt be any good?

Archived