49ers lose another to Retirement. 25 year old Anthony Davis

32EBoozer

I bet when he has to write that check, he has a miraculous change of heart !!!

I believe you're probably right on this. I think he's not happy with losing 3/4 of a million dollars this year. Sounds like he's out of shape and wants SF to not penalize him for being out for 10 games last year and being out of shape this year. I guess when they extended him they realized he was a little "soft" and un-motivated.They structured the contract so as to keep him accountable to the team and his teammates.

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

Police and Firemen are cut from a different cloth than a kid playing a game. You diminish their sacrifice and heroism by comparing it to a game. Firemen and cops get paid a pittance to rush into burning buildings and capture armed assailants. This kid gets paid $ millions to play an avg. of 63 offensive snaps per game for 16 games.  

Quite frankly I think you owe the cops and firemen an apology. Not even in the same ballpark. Davis played 7 games last year. You don't think 7 months of NOT playing is too little time?

Here's the real reason he's throwing the "retirement card" out there. He's not happy with his loss of money!!

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

Yeah.... he's to be applauded by guys like you.

I think you owe an apology to all the players who can't walk, talk, and die in their 40s and 50s from suicide, alzheimer's, dementia, etc. all from playing a "game" that seemingly has no consequences or long-term implications, according to you.

I think you owe an apology to all the players who can't walk, talk, and die in their 40s and 50s from suicide, alzheimer's, dementia, etc. all from playing a "game" that seemingly has no consequences or long-term implications, according to you.

I noticed you didn't comment on the "REAL" reason he's thinking about coming back in "maybe" a season or 2. I guess he's not overly concerned about his health if he's thinking of coming back?

With regards to the suffering vets.... they got paid $h!+ and played without concussion protocols and quality helmets(leather caps way back) and pads like they have today. They had to play to support their families.... this kid gets his $10 mil, isn't satisfied with his contract and starts throwing the "retirement" line out there hoping the 49ers get a little more money in his pocket. You'll see!!

Your logic is quite stupid, frankly. Should police officers not be entitled to time away from their job when they have to discharge their weapon while in the line of duty? I mean, they understand the risks of the job when they sign up. They should know that the time might come where they have to shoot someone. Should firefighters not be entitled to time away after a traumatic experience or injury? Should subway conductors not be entitled to time away when someone might falls or throws themselves in front of train while they're on the job?

All of these jobs comes with significant risks and using your logic, the people doing them aren't entitled to any sympathy or time away because the job descriptions were well understood at the time of hiring. 

And football players know the risk as well they just get paid a lot more..

And football players know the risk as well they just get paid a lot more..

Correct. And football players, just like anyone else working in a risky profession, should have the ability to walk away without being attacked if they deem those risks not worth the reward. 

It's their lives and nobody else's, and at the end of the day, nobody really knows what kind abuse players go through besides the players themselves. It's easy for me and a bunch of couch potatoes to criticize from behind a laptop, but we're all clueless and should think before we throw stones.

I noticed you didn't comment on the "REAL" reason he's thinking about coming back in "maybe" a season or 2. I guess he's not overly concerned about his health if he's thinking of coming back?

With regards to the suffering vets.... they got paid $h!+ and played without concussion protocols and quality helmets(leather caps way back) and pads like they have today. They had to play to support their families.... this kid gets his $10 mil, isn't satisfied with his contract and starts throwing the "retirement" line out there hoping the 49ers get a little more money in his pocket. You'll see!!

Yeah, who cares what the real reason is? Anthony Davis doesn't deem the risk of destroying his brain worth the money he's making right now. For more money, maybe he'll change his mind. Again, who the F cares? The NFL doesn't take care of its retirees' healthcare after they're done and gone, so Davis is smart for planning long-term and should suck every nickel he can out of the league while he can.

And do some research - helmets are the primary cause for a lot of these concussions. Rugby players still wear those leather helmets and don't have the issues the NFL has. Helmets are essentially used as weapons on a football field with players launching themselves head first into each other. Remove the helmets and there'd be a massive drop in concussions.

And do some research - helmets are the primary cause for a lot of these concussions. Rugby players still wear those leather helmets and don't have the issues the NFL has. Helmets are essentially used as weapons on a football field with players launching themselves head first into each other. Remove the helmets and there'd be a massive drop in concussions.

Yeah.... ok. I'll get right on that!

Correct. And football players, just like anyone else working in a risky profession, should have the ability to walk away without being attacked if they deem those risks not worth the reward. 

It's their lives and nobody else's, and at the end of the day, nobody really knows what kind abuse players go through besides the players themselves. It's easy for me and a bunch of couch potatoes to criticize from behind a laptop, but we're all clueless and should think before we throw stones.

I agree all should have the right to quit whenever they want it's their life.. As a matter of fact there have been some I wish would have quit but keep on going anyway..LOL However when your a known public figure criticism fair or not is the price you pay.. 

Yeah, who cares what the real reason is? Anthony Davis doesn't deem the risk of destroying his brain worth the money he's making right now. For more money, maybe he'll change his mind. Again, who the F cares? The NFL doesn't take care of its retirees' healthcare after they're done and gone, so Davis is smart for planning long-term and should suck every nickel he can out of the league while he can.

I think Dick Butkus said that a couple of months ago I couldn't agree more the players are doing it to themselves..

For one, they all knew the risks when they decided to pursue football.

They've lived as big man on campus and as a pro they've made millions. Most wouldnt make in a lifetime what they make in a season.

You make it sound like they were forced into indentured service. Just like you make it sound like all walk around as half crippled suicide risks.

For one, they all knew the risks when they decided to pursue football.

They've lived as big man on campus and as a pro they've made millions. Most wouldnt make in a lifetime what they make in a season.

You make it sound like they were forced into indentured service. Just like you make it sound like all walk around as half crippled suicide risks.

You're telling me the players who built this league in the in the 50s and 60s knew they wouldn't be able to walk late in life, and knew that they'd be at higher risk of dementia and other brain related illnesses? Please. They for sure did not. Players today DO know that, which is why they shouldn't be ridiculed for walking away from the game in their 20s.

You're telling me the players who built this league in the in the 50s and 60s knew they wouldn't be able to walk late in life, and knew that they'd be at higher risk of dementia and other brain related illnesses? Please. They for sure did not. Players today DO know that, which is why they shouldn't be ridiculed for walking away from the game in their 20s.

It's a money play, IMO. Let's wait until September and see how this all plays out. If Davis is serious and pays back the money he is not entitled to.... I will make an apology and acknowledge his decision and celebrate it.

If all of a sudden he decides he "Loves" the game and doesn't want to let his teammates down (yada, yada) then you apologize for the grandstanding you've done on this guy's behalf.

It's a money play, IMO. Let's wait until September and see how this all plays out. If Davis is serious and pays back the money he is not entitled to.... I will make an apology and acknowledge his decision and celebrate it.

If all of a sudden he decides he "Loves" the game and doesn't want to let his teammates down (yada, yada) then you apologize for the grandstanding you've done on this guy's behalf.

Alright, when can I expect the apology? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/05/anthony-davis-will-pay-back-unearned-signing-bonus-money/

Yes I am... Teddy Roosevelt helped save football in 1905..  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/05/29/teddy-roosevelt-helped-save-football-with-a-white-house-meeting-in-1905/

Football at the time was particularly dangerous and violent. In 1905 alone, at least 18 people died and more than 150 were injured playing football. According to the Washington Post, at least 45 football players died from 1900 to October 1905, many from internal injuries, broken necks, concussions or broken backs.

"Nearly every death may be traced to 'unnecessary roughness.' Picked up unconscious from beneath a mass of other players, it was generally found that the victim had been kicked in the head or stomach, so as to cause internal injuries or concussion of the brain, which, sooner or later, ended life," The Post wrote on Oct. 15, 1905.

Dementia,or brain disease? Nope, they didn't know years ago. They knew about chronic arthritis, bad backs, bad joint issues, trouble walking, standing, siting, getting out of bed, early death. So, what does players that didn't know in the 40s and 50s have to do with a player who retires at 25 or 35 in 2015 knowing the risk when they decided to pursue football as a well paying career? All I said is that players assume the risk when they play, know all about them when they play today. Their choice.

You're on to a different topic. I didn't ridicule anyone.

Yes I am... Teddy Roosevelt helped save football in 1905..  http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/05/29/teddy-roosevelt-helped-save-football-with-a-white-house-meeting-in-1905/

Football at the time was particularly dangerous and violent. In 1905 alone, at least 18 people died and more than 150 were injured playing football. According to the Washington Post, at least 45 football players died from 1900 to October 1905, many from internal injuries, broken necks, concussions or broken backs.

"Nearly every death may be traced to 'unnecessary roughness.' Picked up unconscious from beneath a mass of other players, it was generally found that the victim had been kicked in the head or stomach, so as to cause internal injuries or concussion of the brain, which, sooner or later, ended life," The Post 
wrote on Oct. 15, 1905

Giving him the business down there.... 

To 90% of football players, the sport isn't a game either. Its a job just like anything else. Most of them probably don't even like it, its just something they are naturally good at. They probably didn't even pick the sport, it picked them.

Police and Firemen are cut from a different cloth than a kid playing a game. You diminish their sacrifice and heroism by comparing it to a game. Firemen and cops get paid a pittance to rush into burning buildings and capture armed assailants. This kid gets paid $ millions to play an avg. of 63 offensive snaps per game for 16 games.

Quite frankly I think you owe the cops and firemen an apology. Not even in the same ballpark. Davis played 7 games last year. You don't think 7 months of NOT playing is too little time?

Here's the real reason he's throwing the "retirement card" out there. He's not happy with his loss of money!!

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

Yeah.... he's to be applauded by guys like you.

Your logic is quite stupid, frankly. Should police officers not be entitled to time away from their job when they have to discharge their weapon while in the line of duty? I mean, they understand the risks of the job when they sign up. They should know that the time might come where they have to shoot someone. Should firefighters not be entitled to time away after a traumatic experience or injury? Should subway conductors not be entitled to time away when someone might falls or throws themselves in front of train while they're on the job?

All of these jobs comes with significant risks and using your logic, the people doing them aren't entitled to any sympathy or time away because the job descriptions were well understood at the time of hiring. 

This is stupid, top to bottom.

Needing time off due to a traumatic situation isn't the same as retiring because you're afraid your knees might hurt when youre 50.  

Or more to the point, because your contract has whittled down to nothing because of missed time and missed weight clauses.  

To 90% of football players, the sport isn't a game either. Its a job just like anything else. Most of them probably don't even like it, its just something they are naturally good at. They probably didn't even pick the sport, it picked them.

90% might be a slight exaggeration.... but I do agree, the majority do see it as a means to an end. And if that's the case, they can't complain about the difficulties and sacrifices it presents. It also gives them the right to leave when they want.

This is stupid, top to bottom.

Needing time off due to a traumatic situation isn't the same as retiring because you're afraid your knees might hurt when youre 50.  

Or more to the point, because your contract has whittled down to nothing because of missed time and missed weight clauses.  

Namath's knee's hurt when he was 21..LOL

Yeah, I remember how big a recruit Davis was at Rutgers. Still THE highest rated recruit ever, no?

I lol @ the NFL losing young players like this. Jeff Samardzija made the best decision of his life by bypassing it altogether, but not many have the option of a ML contract. Collect the check, retire while healthy, and leave with your middle finger in the air to the league.

He was the highest ranked OT in high school when he signed with Rutgers.

People are RUNNING from Mangini

Archived