PSL Question

TuscanyTile2

great.  So the usual suspects take this thread as another opportunity to rip SAR, rip the Woody and the Jets for the shared Stadium, rip the stadium itself (like anyone really cares).  I just want a team that is going to compete for a championship and a good seat to watch and root for my team.    

Just grow up.

The stadium is what it is and it's not going away.  Aren't you all bored with this stuff already?  4 years of it.  Yawn.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great.  So the usual suspects take this thread as another opportunity to rip SAR, rip the Woody and the Jets for the shared Stadium, rip the stadium itself (like anyone really cares).  I just want a team that is going to compete for a championship and a good seat to watch and root for my team.    

Just grow up.

The stadium is what it is and it's not going away.  Aren't you all bored with this stuff already?  4 years of it.  Yawn.

Usual suspects you  mean those of us who respond to posts here? Im confused.

Usual suspects you  mean those of us who respond to posts here? Im confused.

Dave doesn't like PSL and Stadium threads despite the fact that some of us find it an interesting conversation on occasion.  Instead of finding another thread to read, he likes to jump in here and make us feel bad about ourselves.

He's right about the point of view of most of you though-  too much negativity about a facility that is on par with the rest of the NFL.  No one needs more photos of Joe Namath on the walls to remind us we haven't won anything since Vietnam.  The color of a plastic seat never won a football game.

SAR I

1) You probably live in Emerson

2) If you think MetLife is anywhere NEAR as nice as JerryLand, especially for what our sh*thole cost, you are either mentally infirm or have simply never been to JerryLand.

No.  Take it up a few notches.  They beat the piss out of my son's travel baseball team, I give Emerson that though.

Who cares what our stadium cost?  Why does it matter how much money the Johnson's and the Mara's spent on it?  What, they couldn't afford it?  Do you fret over the cost of the Statue of Liberty?  Or just enjoy it when you see it?  The sitelines in Dallas suck, the TV screen is a distracting monstrosity.  Oh, but it has white stars in the hallways.  Oh, but it has photos of Roger Staubach in the bathrooms.

A football stadium is a bowl with seats.  That's all it is.  Pick a city, it's all the same.  Ours is new, it doesn't leak, and it does it's most important job of all-  it makes us #1 in attendance in the AFC which means more Jets fans get to watch Jets games than any other team in the conference and we make more money which is important to attract free agents, coaches, create training facilities, etc.  Be grateful.

SAR I

Dave doesn't like PSL and Stadium threads despite the fact that some of us find it an interesting conversation on occasion. Instead of finding another thread to read, he likes to jump in here and make us feel bad about ourselves.

He's right about the point of view of most of you though- too much negativity about a facility that is on par with the rest of the NFL. No one needs more photos of Joe Namath on the walls to remind us we haven't won anything since Vietnam. The color of a plastic seat never won a football game.

SAR I

If I can make someone feel bad about himself by pointing out the endless redundancy regarding this issue, then that person has issues way deeper than PSL rage.

The truth is that these threads rehash the same concepts and arguments we heard 4 years ago and have been repeated regularly ever since by the same exact posters. Holy redundancy Batman! I know you enjoy it, but you are special.

Show me the way then tell us  your opinions Instead of mocking other members put up or shut up.

The way? The way is this: some posters use stadium threads as their opportunity to ridicule others, usually people like SAR or other PSL holders. Some use it to continuously bash the Jets for the shared stadium or for leaving long island. And they do so at everyopportunity. Enough already. And is usually the same people over and over. It's nauseating.

You can't compare Met life to Heinz field. The only thing better at Met life is the food and that's not saying much as the food at Heinz field is pretty much the worst I've ever seen.  Heinz field has character, they have bands playing underneath the seats inside, on the field before games, bleachers underneath to sit and listen to the band, eat etc. They have the walk of fame.  Met life is a giant garbage can with louvers. It has zero personality, they've put attractions outside after next to nothing the first few years because they were too stupid to think of putting them inside the stadium when it was built and didn't think anything was needed until people started complaining how awful the stadium was for what they spent.  The noise level isn't anywhere close to the old stadium even when its packed and the game is close late in the 4th qtr.  Dallas's stadium is infinitely better in every way. Even Gillette Stadium has a nice surrounding area, you can walk from hotels on the grounds to the game, their are restaurants there, its a true game day experience. Met Life has none of that unless you consider staying at a crappy hotel on Rt 3 and taking a shuttle a good experience.

A band under the seats?  LOL.  A band?  Walk of Fame?  Quality hot dogs?  Please.  No one cares about any of this.

All we want is a clean bowl with plenty of seats and good sitelines at fair prices.  That's all that's necessary.  As for the noise level, MetLife was blisteringly loud in 2010 and 2011 when we were AFC Finalists, the place was electric.  If you don't like the noise level, speak to the old timers in Giants Stadium who used excuses like you're making about hot dog quality and framed photos of Al Woodall for opting out and watching on TV.

82,500 Jets fans fill MetLife each Sunday, we're happy.  I've been to 10+ other NFL stadiums, ours is better than most, on par with the rest. 

SAR I

been going since shea and I cant tell you why the tore down the "old stadium" and replaced it with the new stadium. In my eyes the changes/upgrades were minor at best-there is nothing there now that makes me say wow this is why they built this place-food is better-didnt need a new stadium for that, tv and sound is better but they could have just added that to old place

JetsAtShea.jpg

Giants Stadium was falling apart.  Literally.  I had a pipe over my seats that would leak a stream of water on rainy days that was so powerful it could cut steel.  That went on for 10 years.  The seats were cracked, the metal supports were rusting, the scoreboard was archaic, it simply had to go.

The Jets and Giants replaced it with a larger facility with all the modern amenities.  What you're reacting to is a coat of paint.  It's not dripping in green so it's got you all upset.  We share a stadium, it's life.  Let me remind you of what the "glory days" looked like at Shea.  A baseball dump that didn't give to sh-ts about the Jets.  Anything was better than that.  We finally have our own stadium.  Enjoy it.

SAR I

If I can make someone feel bad about himself by pointing out the endless redundancy regarding this issue, then that person has issues way deeper than PSL rage.

The truth is that these threads rehash the same concepts and arguments we heard 4 years ago and have been repeated regularly ever since by the same exact posters. Holy redundancy Batman! I know you enjoy it, but you are special.

There are tons of threads about the Draft by people who love the Draft.  I don't go into a single one, ever.  And if I did, the last thing I would do is preach about how Draft threads are redundant and stupid.

If you see "PSL" or "Stadium" in a thread title, don't click on it.  Let the rest of us enjoy our offseason the way we prefer to.

SAR I

Have a relative who does business with the Maras.  After their first Jints trip to the jerryDome, Monday 8AM they were calling the MetLife architect collectively screaming WHAT THE F__ DID WE PAY A BILLION DOLLARS FOR? 

The cost difference between New York and Dallas is 100%, it costs 2x as much for everything in New York as it does in Dallas.  Materials, land, labor, all of it 2x.

Dallas Stadium cost $1.2 billion dollars.  MetLife Stadium cost $1.6 billion dollars.

If the Jets and Giants wanted a stadium with the caliber of bells-and-whistles of Cowboys Stadium, they could have spent $2.4 billion dollars.  MetLife Stadium in Dallas would have only cost $800 million.  Jerry spent more money.  Johnson and Mara didn't.  The stadiums are comparable when you take into account the standard of living differences between the geographies and the true costs of each.

Another myth busted.  Who's next?  Bigfoot perhaps?  Loch Ness Monster?

SAR I

The way? The way is this: some posters use stadium threads as their opportunity to ridicule others, usually people like SAR or other PSL holders. Some use it to continuously bash the Jets for the shared stadium or for leaving long island. And they do so at everyopportunity. Enough already. And is usually the same people over and over. It's nauseating.

I don't like Creamed Spinach.

So when I'm in a restaurant and Creamed Spinach is on the menu I don't say to the waiter "please bring me Creamed Spinach" and then get upset when he arrives with a hot bowl of Creamed Spinach.

SAR I

The cost difference between New York and Dallas is 100%, it costs 2x as much for everything in New York as it does in Dallas. Materials, land, labor, all of it 2x.

Dallas Stadium cost $1.2 billion dollars. MetLife Stadium cost $1.6 billion dollars.

If the Jets and Giants wanted a stadium with the caliber of bells-and-whistles of Cowboys Stadium, they could have spent $2.4 billion dollars. MetLife Stadium in Dallas would have only cost $800 million. Jerry spent more money. Johnson and Mara didn't. The stadiums are comparable when you take into account the standard of living differences between the geographies and the true costs of each.

Another myth busted. Who's next? Bigfoot perhaps? Loch Ness Monster?

SAR I

NYC maybe, but although everyone who lives in NJ likes to consider it NY, it isn't. East Rutherford does not cost double of anywhere except maybe Camden, Trenton, or Beirut.

NYC maybe, but although everyone who lives in NJ likes to consider it NY, it isn't. East Rutherford does not cost double of anywhere except maybe Camden, Trenton, or Beirut.

He's actually right about the labor thing. I haven't surfed the BLS stats in a while but I think Jersey construction wages are somewhere around double to Texas, ditto for the metro areas.

Regardless, it still doesn't excuse the design. Which is ******* terrible.

The Jets and Giants replaced it with a larger facility with all the modern amenities.  What you're reacting to is a coat of paint.  It's not dripping in green so it's got you all upset.  We share a stadium, it's life.  Let me remind you of what the "glory days" looked like at Shea.  A baseball dump that didn't give to sh-ts about the Jets.  Anything was better than that.  We finally have our own stadium.  Enjoy it.

SAR I

We share a stadium or we have our own stadium,which is it in your eyes? 

Last time I checked, Manhattan isn't rich in an abundance of raw materials and labor, don't recall steel mills on the Upper West Side or copper mills in Soho.

The same union shops, the same pipe fitters, the same trucking companies, the same steel, the same aluminum, the same concrete....everything that goes into the cost of building a skyscraper on Park Avenue goes into building MetLife Stadium, the only difference being the land value.

Want some apples-to-apples?  Yankee Stadium holds 52,500 and cost $1.7 Billion.  Citi Field holds 42,000 and cost $1.0 Billion.  Be advised that the simple renovation of 18,000 seat Madison Square Garden cost $1 Billion.  Getting an entire football stadium that can hold 82,500 for $1.6 Billion a few miles away seems very reasonable, one can almost say it was a bargain. 

Not sure why so many of you feel the need to take shots at everything the Jets ownership and front office does.  The Stadium is good, the team is headed in the right direction, plenty of tickets at many pricing levels, some as low as $50.  Quit your whining.

SAR I

There are tons of threads about the Draft by people who love the Draft. I don't go into a single one, ever. And if I did, the last thing I would do is preach about how Draft threads are redundant and stupid.

If you see "PSL" or "Stadium" in a thread title, don't click on it. Let the rest of us enjoy our offseason the way we prefer to.

SAR I

Bad analogy. The draft consists of different players each year. The needs of the team change each year. The stadium/PSL rage is the same old garbage every year. So Scott, if you don't like my complaints about this, just don't click on them or put me on ignore. I look at the threads in the hopes of learning something new or interesting in the world of PSL availability or Stadium benefits. But almost all we ever see is the same old rehashed arguments. I'll continue to read the threads in the hopes of learning something new of interest or value. And you can bet I'll comment when the same people make the same complaint for the 50th time in 5 years. Just like you said to me, you don't have to read it.

P.s. I remember when you gave input on the draft, rallying very hard for Leinert. So I understand your present day aversion to it. Good decision.

We share a stadium or we have our own stadium,which is it in your eyes? 

We share a stadium that is our own.

Let me explain:

On the 345 days a year that no one is playing there, the Giants eat half our losses.  That's a good thing, that makes strong financial sense, that helps the Jets make more money which they can pour back into the team.  We are #1 in attendance in the AFC, and that's in the last few weak years by the way.  More Jets fans watched Jets games than Broncos fans or Patriots fans watched their teams in great, dominant seasons.  We have state of the art training facilities, we have some of the best trainers in the league, we travel first class, we have great conditioning staff, Florham Park is the NFL's model for training facilities, top flight video equipment, all the non-cap things that differentiate teams, especially those trying to woo potential free agents.  So that's how I view the stadium as "shared" 355 days a year.

On the 10 days a year we actually play there, it looks like Jets Stadium.  It's green on the outside, the video pillars are all Jets branded, once in the stadium there are placards and banners, photos of Jets greats, we have a Ring Of Honor, we have Jets logos in the endzones, Jets logos on the walls, and there are 82,500 fans turning the grey seats green, the ribbon boards are green, the corner scoreboards are green.  We own it, we don't rent it or borrow it, it's not the Mets Shea or the Giants Stadium, it's our stadium.  What it does on the 355 days a year it's the world's largest chip 'n dip doesn't matter to me.

SAR I

I don't like Creamed Spinach.

So when I'm in a restaurant and Creamed Spinach is on the menu I don't say to the waiter "please bring me Creamed Spinach" and then get upset when he arrives with a hot bowl of Creamed Spinach.

SAR I

What's wrong man? Usually your analogies are relevant and witty. These are as putrid as.... well. .. creamed spinach. like I said above, you don't need to read what I write. And I have no intention of not writing when I feel like it.

Bad analogy. The draft consists of different players each year. The stadium/PSL rage is the same old garbage every year. So Scott, if you don't like my complaints about this, just don't click on them or put me on ignore. I look at the threads in the hopes of learning something new or interesting in the world of PSL availability or Stadium benefits. But almost all we ever see is the same old rehashed arguments. I'll continue to read the threads in the hopes of learning something new of interest or value. And you can bet I'll comment when the same people make the same complaint for the 50th time in 5 years. Just like you said to me, you don't have to read it.

Stop making trouble where there isn't any in a sad attempt to get this thread closed like you used to do on JI.

It's the offseason.  Most of the threads on Page 1 meet your criteria of rehashed arguments and lack of newness. Go invade all of those and lobby against them too.  Very constructive use of your time there Dave.

SAR I

What's wrong man? Usually your analogies are relevant and witty. These are as putrid as.... well. .. creamed spinach. like I said above, you don't need to read what I write. And I have no intention of not writing when I feel like it.

I'm in a happy Jet place right now with Rex Ryan gone and am not looking for a fight.  Please....either participate in the interesting conversation a few of us are having or pick another thread to participate in.  No one is trying to silence you-  but the irony is that that's what you're trying to do to us.

So stop.

SAR I

Stop making trouble where there isn't any in a sad attempt to get this thread closed like you used to do on JI.

It's the offseason.  Most of the threads on Page 1 meet your criteria of rehashed arguments and lack of newness. Go invade all of those and lobby against them too.  Very constructive use of your time there Dave.

SAR I

Meh. I never got a single thread closed. Never attempted to close one either. Got a couple of nasty trolls removed though for obvious offensive comments. Good for me.

I'm in a happy Jet place right now with Rex Ryan gone and am not looking for a fight.  Please....either participate in the interesting conversation a few of us are having or pick another thread to participate in.  No one is trying to silence you-  but the irony is that that's what you're trying to do to us.

So stop.

SAR I

You need to ignore.

The cost difference between New York and Dallas is 100%, it costs 2x as much for everything in New York as it does in Dallas.  Materials, land, labor, all of it 2x.

Dallas Stadium cost $1.2 billion dollars.  MetLife Stadium cost $1.6 billion dollars.

If the Jets and Giants wanted a stadium with the caliber of bells-and-whistles of Cowboys Stadium, they could have spent $2.4 billion dollars.  MetLife Stadium in Dallas would have only cost $800 million.  Jerry spent more money.  Johnson and Mara didn't.  The stadiums are comparable when you take into account the standard of living differences between the geographies and the true costs of each.

Another myth busted.  Who's next?  Bigfoot perhaps?  Loch Ness Monster?

SAR I

Honestly, the only shared stadium in the NFL, in the richest market in the league no less, should not be comparable to other NFL stadiums, it should be a masterpiece. New York based fans from two teams paid psls to build the aesthetic equivalent of a giant air conditioner. I'm glad you're happy, but It's reasonable for people to be less than satisfied with the end result.

Honestly, the only shared stadium in the NFL, in the richest market in the league no less, should not be comparable to other NFL stadiums, it should be a masterpiece. New York based fans from two teams paid psls to build the aesthetic equivalent of a giant air conditioner. I'm glad you're happy, but It's reasonable for people to be less than satisfied with the end result.

americandream.jpg

"Quit your whining."

I guess, but the aesthetic?  It's really that important?

Let's agree that CitiField with it's Ebbets Field throwback roots is much better aesthetically than Yankee Stadium.  It's not putting more fans in the seats.  It's not helping the team win.  It's some brickface, no different than why people like Indianapolis' stadium I guess.  I'm trying to understand what a solo Jets Stadium would have looked like that would have made a difference to anything.  Shaped like a football, like our logo's outline?  Brick with green shutters?  Some of that orange/blue bolt-on aluminum like Shea?

To me, MetLife looks clean, industrial, and cosmopolitan, very much in keeping with the city the Jets represent.  There's nothing special about Gillette or Heinz or Sports Authority Field except for some colored paint and a statue, and with lighting and rotating scoreboards and such MetLife replicates that nicely.  I think the bottom line here is that no matter what the Jets do their fans will always want to feel second-class to the Giants because they've been conditioned to and there's nothing a slab of concrete can do to change that.  It's a pity because if the Giants didn't exist and MetLife were built exactly like it was right now, we'd all love the place and call it home.

SAR I

if people keep putting down creamed spinach im locking this thread. youve all been warned

20130219-241434-dinner-tonight-pan-seare

I actually like creamed spinach.  It's a must have with a good rib eye.  I alternate it with creamed corn when I'm at Morton's.

SAR I

if people keep putting down creamed spinach im locking this thread. youve all been warned

Depends what we're talking about here. If we're talking that jarred Tostitos sh*t, then **** creamed spinach. But if we're talking about made from scratch with bacon, then ban away.

Depends what we're talking about here. If we're talking that jarred Tostitos sh*t, then **** creamed spinach. But if we're talking about made from scratch with bacon, then ban away.

Tostitos? Get the hell out of here. Do I look like Pac to you?

Couple minor points at the risk of taking us further off course...

I love a good creamed spinach. Almost never eat it, though. Just too rich for me at home. I drink enough calories and have a slow enough metabolism at this point that when I'm eating spinach at home (fairly often), it's with salt, pepper, garlic, and some Tabasco. Also delicious, and much less rich.

I still love our stadium, but when I was there on draft night the seats my son and I briefly sat in were showing some wear. I hop the Jets and giants keep it nice for at least a few more years.

Lastly, wtf, Sheldon?? Dude needs a kick in the ass. Need him to get his head straight and dominate this year.

Archived