PSL Question

TuscanyTile2

Nope.

A Manhattan Stadium would be more difficult for the NJ fanbase to get to, the lack of parking would upset the tailgaters, the traffic would annoy everyone, a dome loses your homefield advantage.

It's a great thing that never happened.

SAR I

NJ is a big piece of sh*t. My team is from New York.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope.

A Manhattan Stadium would be more difficult for the NJ fanbase to get to, the lack of parking would upset the tailgaters, the traffic would annoy everyone, a dome loses your homefield advantage.

It's a great thing that never happened.

SAR I

I could envision a parking lot in NJ and a shuttle to the game. That would also allow tons of bar business in NY and prob a lot of pre gaming in the parking lot in NJ. Also post game the NJ people could start their commute in NJ (after taking the return shuttle). Would've added an annoyance but I think a NY football stadium would've been a hit. Not sure if a dual use baseball stadium would've been a good idea as NYC doesn't need extra people 81 extra times a year. But 8 football Sundays would've prob been fine.

I could envision a parking lot in NJ and a shuttle to the game. That would also allow tons of bar business in NY and prob a lot of pre gaming in the parking lot in NJ. Also post game the NJ people could start their commute in NJ (after taking the return shuttle). Would've added an annoyance but I think a NY football stadium would've been a hit. Not sure if a dual use baseball stadium would've been a good idea as NYC doesn't need extra people 81 extra times a year. But 8 football Sundays would've prob been fine.

I could see a shuttle situation.

But I don't think there's ever going to be a planned dual-sports use stadium again. There's only one left in the whole country (Oakland).

I myself would have enjoyed it because I live close to Manhattan's west side and I don't tailgate. Just pointing out that we'd be having arguments right now about how Woody Johnson was the bad guy because in a NYC stadium there is no parking, no tailgating, too much traffic, too few seats, too many luxury boxes, too many tourists in seats, every fan having to cross a bridge, would have been a mess.

Oh, and the cost of PSL's in Manhattan in a solo stadium? Can you imagine the costs associated with that? 2x? 3x? Whatever the multiple, it would have been far more expensive. New Jersey has been our home longer than New York has. We're good here.

SAR I

I myself would have enjoyed it because I live close to Manhattan's west side and I don't tailgate. Just pointing out that we'd be having arguments right now about how Woody Johnson was the bad guy because in a NYC stadium there is no parking, no tailgating, too much traffic, too few seats, too many luxury boxes, too many tourists in seats, every fan having to cross a bridge, would have been a mess.

Oh, and the cost of PSL's in Manhattan in a solo stadium? Can you imagine the costs associated with that? 2x? 3x? Whatever the multiple, it would have been far more expensive. New Jersey has been our home longer than New York has. We're good here.

SAR I

Good points made. Personally I think NJ is a very nice state.

Regarding the west side plan I would add however that with a retractable roof on it a west side stadium would have drawn Olympics, NCAA basketball tourney, the associated hotel would have had conventions, shows shows shows that the roofless meadowlands could never attract, plus political conventions, many other things I am failing to mention here, oh and the Super bowl every 6 or 8 years because it would simply put be the best destination of all NFL  cities (with a roof)

It would have made money for NYC and created jobs in NY. Fork James Dolan that nozzle I hate him.

Personally I was salivating at the thought of some fine pregame dining in Manhattan and then taking the subway or cab to the gate.

At this point in I life prefer that to tailgate food and freezing my balls off. Sure it would cost more but all thing nice always do.

Good points made. Personally I think NJ is a very nice state.

Regarding the west side plan I would add however that with a retractable roof on it a west side stadium would have drawn Olympics, NCAA basketball tourney, the associated hotel would have had conventions, shows shows shows that the roofless meadowlands could never attract, plus political conventions, many other things I am failing to mention here, oh and the Super bowl every 6 or 8 years because it would simply put be the best destination of all NFL  cities (with a roof)

It would have made money for NYC and created jobs in NY. Fork James Dolan that nozzle I hate him.

Personally I was salivating at the thought of some fine pregame dining in Manhattan and then taking the subway or cab to the gate.

At this point in I life prefer that to tailgate food and freezing my balls off. Sure it would cost more but all thing nice always do.

Simply the power that be, especially now under indictment Sheldon Silver, were never going to let that happen. And thye were helped by Dolan and the usual suspects who want nothing built, ever. Still a complete loss why Johnson refused to consider  same idea near new Shea in Flushing. 

Simply the power that be, especially now under indictment Sheldon Silver, were never going to let that happen. And thye were helped by Dolan and the usual suspects who want nothing built, ever. Still a complete loss why Johnson refused to consider same idea near new Shea in Flushing.

Even Brooklyn.

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess

I've been a season ticket holder for over 30 years and the above is plain incorrect. On the rare occasions that the Jets have had home playoff games, season ticket holders always got the same seat they had all season. I remember watching the Jets play Kansas City, New England, Jacksonville and the Colts all from my end zone section 123 seats that I had for over 20 years. If and when a team seemed likely or possible for the playoffs, by week 13 or 14 of the season, every season ticket holder was given the option to purchase the same seats for a potential playoff game. If the season ticket holder declined, then those seats were put up for sale. The only seats that went into a lottery pool were those that were declined by the season ticket holder.

The same will be true in MetLife if and when the Jets get a home playoff game. it has NOTHING to do with PSLs. Upper deck non PSL season ticket holders will be offered the same seats for the playoff game just as lower level PSL holders will be. If either declines to purchase, then those seats will go into a pool of seats for sale.

Therefore, access to playoffs is not enhanced by owning a PSL. Owning a PSL does not confer any such advantage.

There hasn't been many times but that's my recollection as well. Playoff games have always come with the same seat for the season ticket holder.

The resale value of future playoff tickets (we pray) is an interesting topic. But I think the question of how we could sell them for is an academic one for at least most of us who were crazy enough to fork over PSL money. And in case it's not clear what I mean, and at the risk of now saying "famous last words," next time the Jets host a playoff game if I'm still above ground I'm f'ing going.

So how much you think a ticket for the next home AFC Championship game will sell for on Stubhub? Say corner mezz row 1?

I would be so happy to be attending, those seats would never go up for sale.  It's my dream, in fact.  Watching the Jets win it at the gun in freezing cold MetLife Stadium some January, onto the Super Bowl, would be bliss.

Thought I was experiencing that in comfy warm Indianapolis a few years back, wasn't meant to be.

SAR I

SAR I

I can only speak for myself, but I would've paid that for season tix in a domed Manhattan stadium. Tailgate at a friend's house, and take the subway to the game? Everyday, and twice on Sunday.

Zero interest in the swamp, however. But that's me.

what is the market like ?  if you bought season tickets with a PSL year 1, are you basically even, under water or ahead ?

The secondary market is less than half the value originally paid so at this point in time after 5 of 30 seasons everyone that bought before 2010 is underwater.  The issue to me isn't so much the sunk cost up front its that people that bought the PSL's are looking to offset the cost by selling tickets so PSL seats are readiliy available now for prices close to our ticket cost or a slight premium.  I could go to any game now and get better seats then I have with my PSL for near ticket value.  That's the reality, at this point in time there is no benefit to having a PSL if the ticket prices per game on stubhub type sites is close to what PSL holders are paying. 

If this team finally gets a star QB and becomes a legit SB contender again yes those seats will still be available from PSL holders on stub hub etc. but not as many (it will take fewer sales to cover annual PSL cost as individual game prices will sky rocket and with a better team PSL holders will attend more) and hopefully there will be some increase in value on the secondary market.

People that paid 15k per seat can now get 6k. People that paid 5k can get around 3k.  I'm seriously considering selling my PSL for 3k and paying 6k to get the PSL still offered by the Jets at 15k.  If they go back to par I make money, if not I've paid 8k for much better seats than my 5k PSL seats.

I hear now Jets are giving away Green Lot for 100 bucks extra. Not a PSL owner but if I paid 25K per seat for PSL in the Club section, I would prefer a less crowded Green Lot. Yet Jets are giving it away for just 100 bucks extra. 

Its true, I paid the extra $100.  The green lot is much easier to get in and out of and is not nearly as crowded, its well worth the extra $100 even though it will be more crowded this year than in prior years.

Its true, I paid the extra $100.  The green lot is much easier to get in and out of and is not nearly as crowded, its well worth the extra $100 even though it will be more crowded this year than in prior years.

They did the same thing last year.  Orange/Yellow passes were allowed to upgrade to green for $100.  Nothing new here and it didn't affect access to green.  Easy in and out.

I can only speak for myself, but I would've paid that for season tix in a domed Manhattan stadium. Tailgate at a friend's house, and take the subway to the game? Everyday, and twice on Sunday.

Zero interest in the swamp, however. But that's me.

I would have liked it too, the train from my town in Bergen County puts me at Penn Station in under 30 minutes if I time it right and no issues with trains like we have now at MetLife.  But a solo stadium in Manhattan would have been crushed in the court of public opinion for being too expensive, too exclusive, no tailgating, no parking, insanely high PSL's, too few seats, too many tourists, and the whole Rangers at MSG bit of 'rich people rattling their jewelry' instead of blue collar types.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I really like MetLife Stadium.  Compare it to the other new stadiums as found in New England, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, and we're on par.  Compare it to old stadiums like San Diego, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and we're far better off.  I've been to those stadiums, there's nothing special there that we don't have here from a facility standpoint.

People like to point to stadiums like Indianapolis and Seattle as the models to follow, because the fans sit so close and they make so much more noise, but they hold only 62,000 people, that's like shearing the upper deck off of MetLife Stadium, completely unrealistic for a big market like New York, imagine the ticket prices, imagine the 20,000 fans from Giants Stadium who were cut loose completely.

MetLife is a great stadium.  It serves its purpose 8 Sunday's a year.  Plenty of seats and plenty of price levels to make everyone happy.  Green Bay is the only one that completely trumps it, but that's for a completely different reason, that nostalgic relic puts all NFL stadiums to shame.

SAR I

I would have liked it too, the train from my town in Bergen County puts me at Penn Station in under 30 minutes if I time it right and no issues with trains like we have now at MetLife.  But a solo stadium in Manhattan would have been crushed in the court of public opinion for being too expensive, too exclusive, no tailgating, no parking, insanely high PSL's, too few seats, too many tourists, and the whole Rangers at MSG bit of 'rich people rattling their jewelry' instead of blue collar types.

I feel like I'm in the minority, but I really like MetLife Stadium.  Compare it to the other new stadiums as found in New England, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, and we're on par.  Compare it to old stadiums like San Diego, Jacksonville, Kansas City, and we're far better off.  I've been to those stadiums, there's nothing special there that we don't have here from a facility standpoint.

People like to point to stadiums like Indianapolis and Seattle as the models to follow, because the fans sit so close and they make so much more noise, but they hold only 62,000 people, that's like shearing the upper deck off of MetLife Stadium, completely unrealistic for a big market like New York, imagine the ticket prices, imagine the 20,000 fans from Giants Stadium who were cut loose completely.

MetLife is a great stadium.  It serves its purpose 8 Sunday's a year.  Plenty of seats and plenty of price levels to make everyone happy.  Green Bay is the only one that completely trumps it, but that's for a completely different reason, that nostalgic relic puts all NFL stadiums to shame.

SAR I

Sometimes I wonder if you are real or not. Seriously. No offense. You are an interesting personality and I thank God every day for making you a Jets fan. i can't imagine how much we would be missing out if you were a Giants fan or Packers fan. 

Sometimes I wonder if you are real or not. Seriously. No offense. You are an interesting personality and I thank God every day for making you a Jets fan. i can't imagine how much we would be missing out if you were a Giants fan or Packers fan. 

Not sure what to make of this.  My post was educational, informational, and accurate.

SAR I

Not sure what to make of this.  My post was educational, informational, and accurate.

SAR I

It is educational. Don't take me wrong. I wasn't trying to mock you or anything. You are just an interesting person. I have been on message boards for the last 15 or so years and you are something else. Sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention. 

It is educational. Don't take me wrong. I wasn't trying to mock you or anything. You are just an interesting person. I have been on message boards for the last 15 or so years and you are something else. Sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention. 

No, no offense taken at all.  I often post a differing point of view from the masses or offer rationale from a business perspective, I contribute where I can.

SAR I

This is interesting....

SAR I

1) You probably live in Emerson

2) If you think MetLife is anywhere NEAR as nice as JerryLand, especially for what our sh*thole cost, you are either mentally infirm or have simply never been to JerryLand.

Just my opinion, but I think there are more important things in life to thank God for other than SAR being a Jet's fan.

SAR I

You can't compare Met life to Heinz field. The only thing better at Met life is the food and that's not saying much as the food at Heinz field is pretty much the worst I've ever seen.  Heinz field has character, they have bands playing underneath the seats inside, on the field before games, bleachers underneath to sit and listen to the band, eat etc. They have the walk of fame.  Met life is a giant garbage can with louvers. It has zero personality, they've put attractions outside after next to nothing the first few years because they were too stupid to think of putting them inside the stadium when it was built and didn't think anything was needed until people started complaining how awful the stadium was for what they spent.  The noise level isn't anywhere close to the old stadium even when its packed and the game is close late in the 4th qtr.  Dallas's stadium is infinitely better in every way. Even Gillette Stadium has a nice surrounding area, you can walk from hotels on the grounds to the game, their are restaurants there, its a true game day experience. Met Life has none of that unless you consider staying at a crappy hotel on Rt 3 and taking a shuttle a good experience.

been going since shea and I cant tell you why the tore down the "old stadium" and replaced it with the new stadium. In my eyes the changes/upgrades were minor at best-there is nothing there now that makes me say wow this is why they built this place-food is better-didnt need a new stadium for that, tv and sound is better but they could have just added that to old place

1) You probably live in Emerson

2) If you think MetLife is anywhere NEAR as nice as JerryLand, especially for what our sh*thole cost, you are either mentally infirm or have simply never been to JerryLand.

Have a relative who does business with the Maras.  After their first Jints trip to the jerryDome, Monday 8AM they were calling the MetLife architect collectively screaming WHAT THE F__ DID WE PAY A BILLION DOLLARS FOR? 

Archived