The killer of Cecil the Lion should hang

joewilly12

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't hunt.  But have no problem with people hunting to supplement their food supply.  Whether you shoot it or buy meat at the supermarket, an animal is killed for sustenance.

On the other hand, hunting for sport/trophies/blood lust is barbaric.  If it's proved that Cecil was lured away from his sanctuary, then the dentist and his guides should all be tried under Zimbabwean law.  Let them decide their fate.

The outrage from the educated people, I think, has to do with hunting an endangered animal and the effect of permanent loss of the lion in the African ecosystem. Yes the zebra sleeps easier but it's not supposed to be that way. Yes people who have no idea about Africa are up in arms because Cecil was cute. But generally speaking I think the concept has merit.

Experts indicate that somewhere between .01 and .1% of species become extinct every year. The fact of the matter is loss of biodiversity is unavoidable with the spread of humanity and modern convenience. The dentist was just helping to move lions to the front of the line.

It's a shame for sure, but this outrage over Cecil isn't sustainable for most people so nothing will change, it's a passing fad

I don't hunt.  But have no problem with people hunting to supplement their food supply.  Whether you shoot it or buy meat at the supermarket, an animal is killed for sustenance.

On the other hand, hunting for sport/trophies/blood lust is barbaric.  If it's proved that Cecil was lured away from his sanctuary, then the dentist and his guides should all be tried under Zimbabwean law.  Let them decide their fate.

Hunting for sustenance is far superior to modern factory farming, which is as barbaric as sport hunting. For instance, in many hatchery's male chicks are gassed or grinded at 1 day old due to us specializing livestock for either egg laying or meat production, (Males don't produce eggs, and males born from mothers specialized for egg production don't produce meat efficiently enough) not sure why this would be any better then sport hunting. .

Personally I only buy farm raised or cage free when eating home. But truthfully I  don't think we could produce enough food for people to eat so high on the food chain without these tactics

Hunting for sustenance is far superior to modern factory farming, which is as barbaric as sport hunting. For instance, in many hatchery's male chicks are gassed or grinded at 1 day old due to us specializing livestock for either egg laying or meat production, (Males don't produce eggs, and males born from mothers specialized for egg production don't produce meat efficiently enough) not sure why this would be any better then sport hunting. .

Personally I only buy farm raised or cage free when eating home. But truthfully I  don't think we could produce enough food for people to eat so high on the food chain without these tactics

IMO, completely true.  Next time you're in line somewhere, look right then left.  Without the mega-agra approach, most of these folks would not be here.

As you point out, those animal "processing" facilities are beyond cruel and inhumane.  The killing floor in a swine facility always bothered me.  But yeah, I know why it's done.

Personally I only buy farm raised or cage free when eating home. But truthfully I don't think we could produce enough food for people to eat so high on the food chain without these tactics

Sad but true my evil friend. I'll take that Lion's life and death over the millions of farm raised cows and chickens in America.

A blue-collar worker would never have done this? The only thing stopping most blue-collar workers from shooting a lion is not having the cash to do so.  I think it's f*cked up shooting a collared lion that needs to be coaxed off the reserve, but I'm not going to feign outrage as it doesn't effect me in the least.  Personally, I'd have no problem someone hunting a lion, if the lion were in the wild and the dude only had a knife. That'd be awesome. Or maybe even like a gorilla, or  a rhinoceros or a ******* human being! That'll get you jacked up. I mean like, hunt a human being right now, most dangerous game. Like a worthy adversary. Not a human being that's armed, but a clever, a clever, human being who knows the jungle. Or the woods.

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your position paper on economic expansion in Micronesia.

Pretty much lol, although the black lives matters content comes from some friends who are hyper educated career students w/no money (or challanging employment) but several research papers to their credit

Heh. Exactly the people I was describing, I just chose to take a poke at the irony that they live as far away from those black lives as possible. 

It's a shame then that the truths about nutrition have been distorted for so long... 

Well done, Internet.

HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) — Zimbabwean wildlife authorities say they have suspended the hunting of lions, leopards and elephants in an area favored by hunters following the killing of a lion popular with tourists.

The National Parks and Wildlife Authority said Saturday that bow and arrow hunts have also been suspended unless they are approved by the authority's director.

The authority says it is also investigating the killing of another lion in April that may have been illegal. It says it only received the information this week.

The announcement follows an international outcry stemming from an American hunter's killing of a lion named Cecil that was allegedly was lured out of a national park. Zimbabwean authorities say the hunt was illegal and are seeking the extradition of Minnesota dentist Walter James Palmer.

IMO, completely true.  Next time you're in line somewhere, look right then left.  Without the mega-agra approach, most of these folks would not be here.

As you point out, those animal "processing" facilities are beyond cruel and inhumane.  The killing floor in a swine facility always bothered me.  But yeah, I know why it's done.

In the past 60+ years our country has been inundated with misinformation about nutrition, specifically steering our population towards over-eating protein and calcium rich foods. Animal-based diets. I'm not vegan and have no agenda. I've just been going through a nutritional epiphany over the past couple years, a little bit at a time.

Research is finding that calcium plays a HUGE role in most types of heart disease, some doctors/researchers suggest it may be a bigger cause of heart disease than cholesterol. Combine dietary behavior driven by misinformation that helps the meat packing industry with the idustrialization of agriculture in this country since WWII, which has depleted our soil of its nutrient content, and that leaves us with a population deficient in many essential vitamins and minerals contributing to the overall lack of wellness in our country. It's great that everywhere you go it's crowded, lol, but all those people you're in line next to are on medication for hypertension, diabetes, asthma, anxiety and things like fibromyalgia. I've learned recently that severe magnesium deficiency can accelerate all of those things. The medication often further depletes our bodies of essential vitamins and nutrients. We are a very medicated country, and a substantial part of why is our diet. So much so that the American diet is reflected upon as part of an epidemic. So, while I agree that it's great those people are there, I not entirely sure I agree that mega-agra or any aspect of where our food comes from deserves too much credit for putting them there. 

I would like to punch him in his grill and keep his teeth as a trophy. Nothing to do with Cecil, i just don;t like dentist.

as a fat person whose eating would seriously be hampered by lack of teeth, I'd figure you worship dentists

In the past 60+ years our country has been inundated with misinformation about nutrition, specifically steering our population towards over-eating protein and calcium rich foods. Animal-based diets. I'm not vegan and have no agenda. I've just been going through a nutritional epiphany over the past couple years, a little bit at a time.

Research is finding that calcium plays a HUGE role in most types of heart disease, some doctors/researchers suggest it may be a bigger cause of heart disease than cholesterol. Combine dietary behavior driven by misinformation that helps the meat packing industry with the idustrialization of agriculture in this country since WWII, which has depleted our soil of its nutrient content, and that leaves us with a population deficient in many essential vitamins and minerals contributing to the overall lack of wellness in our country. It's great that everywhere you go it's crowded, lol, but all those people you're in line next to are on medication for hypertension, diabetes, asthma, anxiety and things like fibromyalgia. I've learned recently that severe magnesium deficiency can accelerate all of those things. The medication often further depletes our bodies of essential vitamins and nutrients. We are a very medicated country, and a substantial part of why is our diet. So much so that the American diet is reflected upon as part of an epidemic. So, while I agree that it's great those people are there, I not entirely sure I agree that mega-agra or any aspect of where our food comes from deserves too much credit for putting them there.

word, that's what I mean about eating so high on the food chain.. plenty of room for humanely raised goes if we ate more of "the food our food eats"..

also, frankly, less of all foods.. buncha crushers in the modern world

as a fat person whose eating would seriously be hampered by lack of teeth, I'd figure you worship dentists

Now way. I get two cleaning a year by this amply breasted hygienist who works for a friend of mine and if I need work he gives me couple two three valiums to take the edge off.

word, that's what I mean about eating so high on the food chain.. plenty of room for humanely raised goes if we ate more of "the food our food eats"..

Yup. Totally agree, even if I'm not always "walking the walk", so to speak.

As Norman Borlaug, the father of the green revolution and the guy who saved billions of lives through his early GMO work developing dwarf wheat said with regard to the organic movement,

"There are 6.6 billion people on the planet today. With organic farming we could only feed four billion of them. Which two billion would volunteer to die?"

The simple fact is science has lead to vastly longer shelf lives for humans, causing a population explosion requiring factory farming.

As far as hunting, not my thing, but if it is non endangered animals, done legally and with the carcass being consumed, I don't have much problem with it. There is also the argument for the "semi endangered" species being allowed to be hunted through very limited high dollar permit where the money is used for conservation and re-population of the species.

Oh shut up hippie face. Just want to get my share before it go's to the meek.

What I don't get is why somebody in Zimbabwe thought it was good thing to name it after Cecil Rhodes, the guy who founded Rhodesia and didn't have a particularly enlightened attitude towards the locals. Bit like Warsaw Zoo naming everybody's favourite bear Stalin.

And you just know Robert Mugabe's pissing himself laughing about all this. "Oh, I can imprison and torture another couple of thousand of my opponents, rig an election or two, kill a few white farmers, reck the economy even more, and all I have to do is get some dumb western hunter to kill another lion, and nobody will give a flying f**k about what I'm doing! Brilliant!"

The overreaction is just insane, and the thing is, in another couple of weeks, you just know the morons who make up the "Let's Be Absolutely OUTRAGED At Something Irrelevant!" do-gooder brigade will have moved onto some other poor sucker to harangue and vilify.

The overreaction is just insane, and the thing is, in another couple of weeks, you just know the morons who make up the "Let's Be Absolutely OUTRAGED At Something Irrelevant!" do-gooder brigade will have moved onto some other poor sucker to harangue and vilify.

What I find more entertaining with Internet outrage are the ones who spend an inordinate amount of time being outraged at the outrage. And then the outrage reciprocated at the anti-outragers.

No. Grew up poor as hell and went to a free dental clinic were dentist who got in trouble for stuff worked doing community service. Angry criminal dentist working for free did not make the best impression on me.

Oh, yeesh.

I get white coat. Makes no ******* sense. In a multi-car pile up everything slows down for me and I can slalom around the other cars and walk away fine. I don't feel the nerves at all.... but send me to a doctor's office, especially when they take my blood pressure, and it's like I'm burning to death from invisible flames like Ricky Bobby.

Archived