Fitzpatrick on the road... the #'s are scary

32EBoozer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully Fitz is in the best situation of his career with the Jets. He has two stud wide outs to cover some of his errant throws and an elite running game to keep his attempts limited.

Jets win this one handily. They're the better football team. Fitz remains the starter for the remainder of the season/playoffs.

The Colts suck (or are not as good as advertised, at the very least).  So these stats are only partially relevant.  I also choose to believe that the Jets running game may set it apart from many of the teams that Fitz has played for  in the past.

Yeah that Arian Foster guy is a real slacker - spin again please

Yeah that Arian Foster guy is a real slacker - spin again please

He said MANY of the teams Fitz has been part of, not ALL.  And its true.  The talent surrounding Fitzpatrick has for the most part been lousy.  His partial season with the Texans last year was the best team he'd played with.  And that's not saying much.

He said MANY of the teams Fitz has been part of, not ALL.  And its true.  The talent surrounding Fitzpatrick has for the most part been lousy.  His partial season with the Texans last year was the best team he'd played with.  And that's not saying much.

And the talent surrounding Geno has been world class right - but he gets no benefit of that excuse. That's only reserved for the uber smart Ivy league QB

And the talent surrounding Geno has been world class right - but he gets no benefit of that excuse. That's only reserved for the uber smart Ivy league QB

The talent around Geno was underrated his first 2 years by many.  Meanwhile, Fitz has spent 10 years in the league, with his best receiving weapons being Kendall Wright, Stevie Johnson, and DeAndre Hopkins as a rookie in that span....yet he's produced.  It's a viable excuse when people want to ONLY point to his W-L record to say he is terrible.  Every other metric agrees that Fitz is at least competent.

The talent around Geno was underrated his first 2 years by many.  Meanwhile, Fitz has spent 10 years in the league, with his best receiving weapons being Kendall Wright, Stevie Johnson, and DeAndre Hopkins as a rookie in that span....yet he's produced.  It's a viable excuse when people want to ONLY point to his W-L record.  Every other metric agrees that Fitz is at least competent.

My first thought was Lee Evans, but you are more wrong than that.  Fitzpatrick broke in with the Rams at the tail end of the Greatest Show on Turf.  The first season he got significant run had Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Kevin Curtis. Bruce was older, but Holt wasn't.  The next time he got real playing time was with the Bengals who trotted out Houshmanzadeh, Ocho Cinco, Chris Henry and Andre Caldwell among others.  The first year he was with the Bills they had T.O., Lee Evans and Josh Reed to go along with Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch.

My first thought was Lee Evans, but you are more wrong than that.  Fitzpatrick broke in with the Rams at the tail end of the Greatest Show on Turf.  The first season he got significant run had Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Kevin Curtis. Bruce was older, but Holt wasn't.  The next time he got real playing time was with the Bengals who trotted out Houshmanzadeh, Ocho Cinco, Chris Henry and Andre Caldwell among others.  The first year he was with the Bills they had T.O., Lee Evans and Josh Reed to go along with Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch.

Jesus.  He made 3 starts with the Rams.  Terrell Owens was 36 years old in Buffalo in 2010.  He had Marshawn for 6 games, as Lynch was stupidly traded at the Week 6 deadline in 2010.

Since when were Housh, Kevin Curtis, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Lee Evans and Josh Reed world beaters?  Those were JAG's (Evans was coming off a 44 catch, 612 yard season in 2009 the year before Fitz arrived.  At 29 he was no longer the deep threat he once was, and only played 15 games the remainder of his career).  You're helping my case here, not hurting it.  Fine, an overrated Ocho Cinco was his best weapon, followed by a game or 2 with Isaac Bruce, Stevie Johnson, Lee Evans and Kendall Wright.  In 10 years.  Cool. 

Jesus.  He made 3 starts with the Rams.  Terrell Owens was 36 years old in Buffalo in 2010.  He had Marshawn for 6 games, as Lynch was stupidly traded at the Week 6 deadline in 2010. Since when were Housh, Kevin Curtis, Chris Henry, Andre Caldwell, Lee Evans and Josh Reed world beaters?  Those were JAG's.  You're helping my case here, not hurting it.  Fine, an overrated Ocho Cinco was his best weapon, followed by a game or 2 with Isaac Bruce, Stevie Johnson and Kendall Wright.  In 10 years.  Cool. 

Pro Bowl JAGS vs. Greg Salas.  When Torry Holt gets inducted maybe he will give you a shout out.  Literally every single one of those "JAGs" is no worse than the second best WR that Geno ever played with.  Hell, Kenny Britt would have probably started here.

The talent around Geno was underrated his first 2 years by many.  Meanwhile, Fitz has spent 10 years in the league, with his best receiving weapons being Kendall Wright, Stevie Johnson, and DeAndre Hopkins as a rookie in that span....yet he's produced.  It's a viable excuse when people want to ONLY point to his W-L record to say he is terrible.  Every other metric agrees that Fitz is at least competent.

Cin 2008 - Cedric Benson, Chad Johnson, Houshmanzedah

Buf 2009 - Fred Jax , TO, Lee Evans

Buf 2010 - Jax/Spiller, Lee Evans S Johnson

Buf 2011 - Jax/Spiller , S Johnson

Buf 2012 - jax/Spiller , S Johnson

Ten 2013 - CJ2K , Kendall Wright, Nate Washington, Delanie Walker

Hou 2014 - A Foster, Andre Johnson, Hopkins

Geno 2013 - Ivory, Holmes , Kerley

Geno 2014 - Ivory, decker, Kerley , Harvin(8 gms)

Now I know this isn't strictly a comparison of Fitz vs Geno

But again who's had better offensive talent around them ????  Also factor in Geno played 2013/2014 under the Rex offensive system .

Pro Bowl JAGS vs. Greg Salas.  When Torry Holt gets inducted maybe he will give you a shout out.  Literally every single one of those "JAGs" is no worse than the second best WR that Geno ever played with.  Hell, Kenny Britt would have probably started here.

The weaponry argument stops working when you have 10 years of at least moderate success.  Decker, Kerley, Harvin and Amaro were fine.  Basically an average year of receiving options for Fitz's career.  We don't know what Geno would do in 10 years with the same weapons Fitz had.  But what we do know is Geno has rarely looked anything but lousy.  Fitz has been pretty much average and looked average against Cleveland.   Stick with Fitz until he proves otherwise.

Cin 2008 - Cedric Benson, Chad Johnson, Houshmanzedah

Buf 2009 - Fred Jax , TO, Lee Evans

Buf 2010 - Jax/Spiller, Lee Evans S Johnson

Buf 2011 - Jax/Spiller , S Johnson

Buf 2012 - jax/Spiller , S Johnson

Ten 2013 - CJ2K , Kendall Wright, Nate Washington, Delanie Walker

Hou 2014 - A Foster, Andre Johnson, Hopkins

Geno 2013 - Ivory, Holmes , Kerley

Geno 2014 - Ivory, decker, Kerley , Harvin(8 gms)

Now I know this isn't strictly a comparison of Fitz vs Geno

But again who's had better offensive talent around them ????  Also factor in Geno played 2013/2014 under the Rex offensive system .

Yeah.  I don't have anything against the Conquering HeroTM and I don't doubt he is more competent than Geno, but the idea that he has struggled based on weapons while Geno squandered the likes of Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and a post injury Santonio is pretty farfetched.

As for your latest reply 80 - injured, sh*tty, half a season of a non-WR and injured rookie. 

Yeah.  I don't have anything against the Conquering HeroTM and I don't doubt he is more competent than Geno, but the idea that he has struggled based on weapons while Geno squandered the likes of Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and a post injury Santonio is pretty farfetched.

No one said that Fitz "struggled".  He did fairly well everywhere but the W-L column.  Yet people want to point ONLY to the W-L column to say Fitz sucks.  It's a myth. 

Geno is both a QB with a 12-20 record AND he's terrible, along with the off the field stuff.  Fitz is an average QB who mostly does his job.  No amount of excuses for Geno or pounding the drum about Fitz "never winning more than 6 games" will make these statements untrue.

No one said that Fitz "struggled".  He did fairly well everywhere but the W-L column.  Yet people want to point ONLY to the W-L column to say Fitz sucks.  It's a myth. 

Geno is both a QB with a 12-20 record AND he's terrible, along with the off the field stuff.  Fitz is an average QB who mostly does his job.  No amount of excuses for Geno or pounding the drum about Fitz "never winning more than 6 games" will make these statements untrue.

You stated above : The talent surrounding Fitzpatrick has for the most part been lousy.  His partial season with the Texans last year was the best team he'd played with.  And that's not saying much.

On that point you've been proven wrong, stop trying to spin it another direction and admit defeat. 

You stated above : The talent surrounding Fitzpatrick has for the most part been lousy.  His partial season with the Texans last year was the best team he'd played with.  And that's not saying much.

On that point you've been proven wrong, stop trying to spin it another direction and admit defeat. 

lol.  No I haven't.  Not even close.  Fitz has had 60+ games in his career where the offense he leads puts up 21+ points.  Yet he still has a losing record for his career.  The only answer for why that happened is he's played with some really bad teams.  Nothing you guys have stated have proven me wrong, because you fail to recognize there's a lot more to what determines which team wins or loses than JUST how a quarterback performs. 

he has never produced, how can you call what Geno has had underrated and bash what Fitz has had hen Fitz has had more talent to work with?

lol.  No I haven't.  Not even close.  Fitz has had 60+ games in his career where the offense he leads puts up 21+ points.  Yet he still has a losing record for his career.  The only answer for why that happened is he's played with some really bad teams.  Nothing you guys have stated have proven me wrong, because you fail to recognize there's a lot more to what determines which team wins or loses than JUST how a quarterback performs.

Unless it applies to Geno or Sanchez, then its all on them - that's how it works - right ???

he has never produced, how can you call what Geno has had underrated and bash what Fitz has had hen Fitz has had more talent to work with?

Yes, he actually has produced.  Read my post above yours.  Fitz by and large does his job.  Not at an elite or even above average level.  But he's average.  Which is better than what Geno can provide.

Unless it applies to Geno or Sanchez, then its all on them - that's how it works - right ???

Geno and Sanchez don't produce.  Check out the % of games they've played where they've led their offense to 21+ pts, then come back to me.  Also check out how many times they've lost when the defense holds teams under 14 points.  It's pathetic.

I'm not sure actually what this thread and discussion is about

Helen Keller, Jose Feliciano, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder can all clearly see that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a vastly superior NFL quarterbank at his worst than Geno Smith can ever be at his potential absolute best.

Plus he knows the playbook, progressions, when to throw it away, timezones and pays his debts and doesn't initiate fist fights with teammates over welshing or scribble and pout on the sidelines when his teammates score a huge second half TD

That's about it in a nutshell

Geno and Sanchez don't produce.  Check out the % of games they've played where they've led their offense to 21+ pts, then come back to me.  Also check out how many times they've lost when the defense holds teams under 14 points.  It's pathetic.

And again using your statement:  because you fail to recognize there's a lot more to what determines which team wins or loses than JUST how a quarterback performs.

So Geno hasn't put up 21+ points as much as Fitz  - has nothing to do with the gameplan(G&P) or the coaching staff or the talent on O.

Apparently points don't matter now. Only winning %.

It's a good thing Fitz has a whole team of players this year to help him win.

Fitz' winning percentage with his current team. 1.000  True story.

I'm not sure actually what this thread and discussion is about

Helen Keller, Jose Feliciano, Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder can all clearly see that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a vastly superior NFL quarterbank at his worst than Geno Smith can ever be at his potential absolute best.

Plus he knows the playbook, progressions, when to throw it away, timezones and pays his debts and doesn't initiate fist fights with teammates over welshing or scribble and pout on the sidelines when his teammates score a huge second half TD

That's about it in a nutshell

I think you've chosen nice role models for your evaluation skills.

Yes, he actually has produced.  Read my post above yours.  Fitz by and large does his job.  Not at an elite or even above average level.  But he's average.  Which is better than what Geno can provide.

he has mostly produced meaningless fantasy #s in garbage time. I don't consider that producing.  He was decent week 1 for us and I hope that continues but if the man produced he wouldn't be on yet another new team.

Fitz isn't half the QB Sanchez is.

I think you've chosen nice role models for your evaluation skills.

Good comeback, whatever the F it means, if anything

I'll just smile and chuckle.

I'm a Jet fan and a happy one. My team has replaced the worst QB in the NFL with a competent professional

As long as dirtbag Smith never plays another down as a Jet QB we should be fine

Fitz has never been on a good team...Next can we do a study of how bad teams do against good teams on the road.

I can't wait to find out.

and he's never been a difference maker on any team.  last year he was 6-6 as a starter, the other QBs were 3-1 including their only win over a playoff bound team.

Fitz can be a serviceable guy for us but he is not a good QB.  I hope that changes and he magically becomes good for us but don't place unrealistic expectations on the guy.

Fitz can be a serviceable guy for us but he is not a good QB.

But Geno is not a good QB, nor a serviceable guy. The book is closed on him - he will never, ever, ever come close to delivering a SB to the Jets. Neither will Fitz, but we ride with him this season, win as many games as we can, then search for a franchise QB next offseason. Maybe that is Petty.

I'm a Jet fan and a happy one. My team has replaced the worst QB in the NFL with a competent professional

That's pretty much my last 5 weeks.

Yesterdays sobbing just reaffirmed why I hope Gee-No never elevates past clipboard duty until  he's cut. 

Lol. Pretty difficult to underrate that talent. 

The weaponry argument stops working when you have 10 years of at least moderate success.  Decker, Kerley, Harvin and Amaro were fine.  Basically an average year of receiving options for Fitz's career.  We don't know what Geno would do in 10 years with the same weapons Fitz had.  But what we do know is Geno has rarely looked anything but lousy.  Fitz has been pretty much average and looked average against Cleveland.   Stick with Fitz until he proves otherwise.

Again, lol.

Look at Fitz's first five years in the league, and his numbers are no better than Geno's, and often worse. Completing passes at a rate of 57% (Geno 57.5%), for a paultry 5.5 ypa (compared to Geno's 6.9), with 21 TD's and 27 ints (Geno: 25 and 34) for a passer rating of 67.7 (Geno, 71.5). Fitz is a veteran now who's learned over the years to play a little smarter. He had a nice debut here in a game where his defense and running game were top notch. I'm glad to have him on the team. But my opinion of the two QBs hasn't changed a lot since Geno got his jaw broken; Fitz has the higher floor, and Geno has the higher ceiling. Anyone closing the book on Geno now should've closed the book on Fitz six years ago. 

Archived