My Thoughts at 4-3

varjet

Overall, this is a team that has at least met expectations from the beginning of the season.  They have looked good at times, fought the Patriots to a tough loss, and were absolutely terrible against the Raiders yesterday.  That happens.  The Jets can potentially turn it around and make the playoffs, but there are alot of variables and moving pieces.

• Coaching-Bowles will be with us for awhile.  Most feel he has done a good job and gets it.  He has alot more learning to do.Teams have now studied them and know how to play the Jets.  It is up to the coaching staff to tune up their game and counter the counters.  The team's performance is interrelated.  Offense helps defense, DL helps secondary, etc.
  • Injuries/Conditioning-this is really a much overlooked aspect of the loss yesterday.  The Jets at this point are absolutely beat up.  They are not a young team.  Conditioning and training need to be a strong focus this off season.   The Owusu gamble appears to have backfired.  Suspensions have not helped.  I see the status and recovery from injuries and the coaching approach as being the primary drivers to how the season ends up.  To some extent the injuries are a result of retaining players toward the end of their careers-the team should get younger.  The rest of my comments really relate to building the team in the future.
  • GM-Most feel that Maccagnan and Company have done a good job rebuilding the team.  In retrospect, perhaps there are a few moves we would want to take back, but the draft picks are still too early to call.  We will also be giving him a chance for a few years-he did not lay the egg that Idzik did.  Unfortunately, Maccagnan will need more time based on the players Idzik left him with.  My only request is that the team try and take a long term view to at least make the Super Bowl, as opposed to trying to win now.  Win now decisions tend to backfire.  If we have a target 2017 year, the decisions thus far appear to make sense except Cromartie.
  • Raiders-They have added quite a bit of nice talent to that team.  Lots of good high picks (Mack, Cooper) as well as obscure players.  They have made a player of Austin Howard, but that one is still on Idzik.  They do have a 2nd Round potential franchise QB.  It is doable.  We do not need to pick top 5 to get one.
  • QB-Geno has potential to be a good back up QB.  He should not be the Goat of yesterday, but his decision making ain't great and has not been.  It is tough to train someone to be smarter.  I think this should be his last chance to show that he can be a starting QB for an NFL team.  Perhaps Fitzpatrick's injury was a blessing, unless we thought that Geno needed another 9 months under Gailey to learn not to take a sack or run out of bounds.  I am more sympathetic to failed long passes that end up like punts.  Next year should be one of Geno/Ryan, Petty, and a new face.
  • RB-Its time to roll out Ridley so Ivory can get a break and get healthy.
  • WR-we continue to need more of them. Tompkins looked good.  Devin Smith needs more time/development.  Hopefully he is not another bust.  Kerley should not be on the team next year.  Need 2 new faces here.
  • OL-Mangold needs a conditioning program.  I think they should try and add drafted talent while restructuring the contracts of existing players.   They are paying more for the OL than it is worth.  There is value to stability, so I think this is a position group that gradually improves.  
  • DL-The Jets are overinvested in the DL and need to make some choices for 2016.  We could use a higher pick for a QB, or more money for LBs. OL or perhaps even a RB at this point. 
  • LB-Coples and likely Pace are gone next year.  I am not sure Reilly and Mauldin step in for them.  That is another free agent or two.  Davis should walk.  Harris should get a medal for working hard last off season to be worth his new contract.
  • Secondary-why is Miles on the roster if they won't play him?   Cromartie is not the future.  I think they should find an injury for him, put him on IR, and bring up Milliner to see what he can do.  Let's flesh that out and let he, Macdougal and M. Williams play that spot.  

Mostly good post, but if this happens, then Mac has failed:  

I am more sympathetic to failed long passes that end up like punts.  Next year should be one of Geno/Ryan, Petty, and a new face.

There's just no excuse for Geno or Fitz to be part of the conversation for starter next year. We MUST do better than that.

Secondary-why is Miles on the roster if they won't play him?   Cromartie is not the future.  I think they should find an injury for him, put him on IR, and bring up Milliner to see what he can do.  Let's flesh that out and let he, Macdougal and M. Williams play that spot.  

Miles isn't on the roster. He's on the practice squad. Marcus Williams should never play safety again.

McDougle got 6 snaps in yesterday before he got hurt, he's another one that can't stay healthy.

We'll see what they do with Milliner this week, but I doubt after two weeks of practice he's going to be ready to just step in and play opposite of Revis.

I'd say lets see more Walls, because he can actually tackle, but the problem is more than that. But, yes, Cro needs to take a seat. His hip is obviously an issue and him playing hurt or injured is not helping the team.

There's just no excuse for Geno or Fitz to be part of the conversation for starter next year. We MUST do better than that.

Well the next few weeks will determine if Geno will be or not, jury still out. Very unlikely for Fitz to be in the mix, regardless of how much the vets like him.

Fitz should start next year imo. We won't be bad enough to get a top 5 pick and doubtful anyone better than Fitz hits FA.

Here are my thoughts at 4-3: the saying, history repeats itself.  Is real.  

The Jets losses so far:

Eagles - we've never, ever won vs. Philly. Ivory out, Decker out

Pats - nobody wins in Foxborough.  Nobody.  And they kind of have our #.  Ivory banged up first play of the game.

Oakland - the Jets are 3-13-1 there and they were missing a lot of players.  West coast trips arent friendly to east coast teams.

One stinker and 2 games we should have won but history isnt kind to the Jets in those situations.  It's the NFL.  This sh*t happens and its so match up, injury, location based in the NFL, it's ridiculous.  

Rodgers just threw for 76 yards on Sunday Night Football and the Packers looked awful.

This is Football.  It happens.  Unless you're the Patriots and you're allowed to cheat.

Bounce back vs. the Jags and get back on track.  It's a week to week league. 

Here are my thoughts at 4-3: the saying, history repeats itself.  Is real.  

The Jets losses so far:

Eagles - we've never, ever won vs. Philly. Ivory out, Decker out

Pats - nobody wins in Foxborough.  Nobody.  And they kind of have our #.  Ivory banged up first play of the game.

Oakland - the Jets are 3-13-1 there and they were missing a lot of players.  West coast trips arent friendly to east coast teams.

One stinker and 2 games we should have won but history isnt kind to the Jets in those situations.  It's the NFL.  This sh*t happens and its so match up, injury, location based in the NFL, it's ridiculous.  

Rodgers just threw for 76 yards on Sunday Night Football and the Packers looked awful.

This is Football.  It happens.  Unless you're the Patriots and you're allowed to cheat.

Bounce back vs. the Jags and get back on track.  It's a week to week league. 

1000%

We have a the Jaguars at home, a perennial NFL loser, then the weak and incredibly dysfunctional Bills on a short week. By next Friday there could be a much different outlook on the season.. and then we get the Texans.

Well the next few weeks will determine if Geno will be or not, jury still out. Very unlikely for Fitz to be in the mix, regardless of how much the vets like him.

lol, so Fitz plays good football... and he's automatically ruled ineligible for consideration, but Geno hypothetically could, so yea... this sh*t is silly at this point.

1000%

We have a the Jaguars at home, a perennial NFL loser, then the weak and incredibly dysfunctional Bills on a short week. By next Friday there could be a much different outlook on the season.. and then we get the Texans.

Yep!  You cant dwell on the past.  String together a couple of wins and get to 6-3.  The Steelers have a brutal schedule (with Oakland visiting them next week), so there is plenty of Football to be played all around the league.

The Jets just need to get healthy and stay healthy.  I'm chalking Sunday up to a clunker and I'm not going to get down on the team over one bad game. 

I think the Jets need to get healthy to even beat the Jaguars.   If they happen to get a big lead, they should rest who they can.

They can easily lose to the Bills.  They will be riled up, and they are physical on defense.  Our line is not physical now.

I think it will be hard to replace both Fitz and Geno.  Neither are the long term answer.  Fitz is more likely to get you to the playoffs if he is healthy.  Geno is still under contract next year-Fitz needs a new one.  Do you pay up for Fitz for next year if another team will pay him alot?

The QB in 2017 is hopefully Petty or someone else.  If Fitz agrees to a reasonable 2 year deal, perhaps we trade Geno and then look for another.  This is a team that could use 2 QBs if the roster supported it.  

Given we know what Fitz can do, maybe we shelve him for next year and show off Geno for a trade.  Geno commented that he was showing his skills off for anyone who was interested-I think that implied teams other than the Jets.  Fitz can spend the rest of the year in slide camp.

lol, so Fitz plays good football... and he's automatically ruled ineligible for consideration, but Geno hypothetically could, so yea... this sh*t is silly at this point.

Big difference in long term consideration for a third year physically talented QB, and a 10 year weak armed journeyman. If you cannot see the difference you are just being obtuse and irrational. 

Big difference in long term consideration for a third year physically talented QB, and a 10 year weak armed journeyman. If you cannot see the difference you are just being obtuse and irrational. 

Big difference in between their ears, in what beats in their chests, and in the minds of their teammates too. Tell me more about seeing the difference.

Yeah,  the physically more talented guy has average level physical ability and is a retard, and the journeyman gives us professional level play.

So I guess we aagree.

Overall, this is a team that has at least met expectations from the beginning of the season.  They have looked good at times, fought the Patriots to a tough loss, and were absolutely terrible against the Raiders yesterday.  That happens.  The Jets can potentially turn it around and make the playoffs, but there are alot of variables and moving pieces.

• Coaching-Bowles will be with us for awhile.  Most feel he has done a good job and gets it.  He has alot more learning to do.Teams have now studied them and know how to play the Jets.  It is up to the coaching staff to tune up their game and counter the counters.  The team's performance is interrelated.  Offense helps defense, DL helps secondary, etc.
  • Injuries/Conditioning-this is really a much overlooked aspect of the loss yesterday.  The Jets at this point are absolutely beat up.  They are not a young team.  Conditioning and training need to be a strong focus this off season.   The Owusu gamble appears to have backfired.  Suspensions have not helped.  I see the status and recovery from injuries and the coaching approach as being the primary drivers to how the season ends up.  To some extent the injuries are a result of retaining players toward the end of their careers-the team should get younger.  The rest of my comments really relate to building the team in the future.
  • GM-Most feel that Maccagnan and Company have done a good job rebuilding the team.  In retrospect, perhaps there are a few moves we would want to take back, but the draft picks are still too early to call.  We will also be giving him a chance for a few years-he did not lay the egg that Idzik did.  Unfortunately, Maccagnan will need more time based on the players Idzik left him with.  My only request is that the team try and take a long term view to at least make the Super Bowl, as opposed to trying to win now.  Win now decisions tend to backfire.  If we have a target 2017 year, the decisions thus far appear to make sense except Cromartie.
  • Raiders-They have added quite a bit of nice talent to that team.  Lots of good high picks (Mack, Cooper) as well as obscure players.  They have made a player of Austin Howard, but that one is still on Idzik.  They do have a 2nd Round potential franchise QB.  It is doable.  We do not need to pick top 5 to get one.
  • QB-Geno has potential to be a good back up QB.  He should not be the Goat of yesterday, but his decision making ain't great and has not been.  It is tough to train someone to be smarter.  I think this should be his last chance to show that he can be a starting QB for an NFL team.  Perhaps Fitzpatrick's injury was a blessing, unless we thought that Geno needed another 9 months under Gailey to learn not to take a sack or run out of bounds.  I am more sympathetic to failed long passes that end up like punts.  Next year should be one of Geno/Ryan, Petty, and a new face.
  • RB-Its time to roll out Ridley so Ivory can get a break and get healthy.
  • WR-we continue to need more of them. Tompkins looked good.  Devin Smith needs more time/development.  Hopefully he is not another bust.  Kerley should not be on the team next year.  Need 2 new faces here.
  • OL-Mangold needs a conditioning program.  I think they should try and add drafted talent while restructuring the contracts of existing players.   They are paying more for the OL than it is worth.  There is value to stability, so I think this is a position group that gradually improves.  
  • DL-The Jets are overinvested in the DL and need to make some choices for 2016.  We could use a higher pick for a QB, or more money for LBs. OL or perhaps even a RB at this point. 
  • LB-Coples and likely Pace are gone next year.  I am not sure Reilly and Mauldin step in for them.  That is another free agent or two.  Davis should walk.  Harris should get a medal for working hard last off season to be worth his new contract.
  • Secondary-why is Miles on the roster if they won't play him?   Cromartie is not the future.  I think they should find an injury for him, put him on IR, and bring up Milliner to see what he can do.  Let's flesh that out and let he, Macdougal and M. Williams play that spot.  

How could Geno have potential to be a good backup when you is too dumb. I'm sorry but I don't agree. We have to live him for now, but after this year he will be jettisoned.

Big difference in between their ears, in what beats in their chests, and in the minds of their teammates too. Tell me more about seeing the difference.

What's between their ears takes several years to develop. Obviously you did not see Brees play much early in his career, you would have said the same unfounded things about his intelligence as well. I get it, you hate Geno and are completely OK with the JAG Fitzpatrick.

What's between their ears takes several years to develop. Obviously you did not see Brees play much early in his career, you would have said the same unfounded things about his intelligence as well. I get it, you hate Geno and are completely OK with the JAG Fitzpatrick.

Thats the dumbest thing you have ever said in your valiant yet pointless defense of the turd that is Geno Smith.

Drew Brees...lol. Just, no. LOL.

my thoughts at 4-3

Enjoy 4-3 at least it's a winning record. 

Ideally I'd recommend to stop watching. get a hobby. Take a walk. Stare at a blank wall. That will be better than the rest of the season. Just wait for Buffalo games, Rex knows where all the bodies are buried. 

Or if you absolutely have to watch, take the home dog Raiders and the three points. That game was a loss when they released the schedule. 

Side note why are we even hoping for the Jets to win meaningful games? Why is that even an option? 

The Pats are undefeated and steamrolling teams* this year with extra cheating. 

Meanwhile we spend our time debating Geno vs Petty it's madness.  

I'm getting older. When I was a kid the Knicks had Patrick Ewing and they were a very good team. But the Bulls had Michael Jordan.  9 times out of 10 you are losing to a hall of fame star player in his prime. Them's the breaks. The Jets have Brady in the division. Think about that unpleasant truth for a second. 

It's the point of the league to have that leading man to sell jerseys. They want to sell Pats jerseys like how they sell Manchester United jerseys. All over the damn world. They want more money.

the Jets? They are the Washington generals in this play. How did we the fans get so optimistic? Did we forget how it ended all those other times?  

Thats the dumbest thing you have ever said in your valiant yet pointless defense of the turd that is Geno Smith.

Drew Brees...lol. Just, no. LOL.

Dree Brees sat his first year, and was pretty terrible his first 2 playing years, getting worse his second to the point that they drafted Rivers to replace him.

I used to go see Brees play in college. So, you couldn't be more wrong.

Geno is not Brees. Not sure if I can take anything you say serious going forward after this comparison... 

I do not "hate" Geno. I just have no confidence in him. Only the simple-minded have to reduce this to an emotional argument centered around "hate", to me, the pragmatic way of looking at it is to weigh all of the evidence, and form an opinion about whether or not Geno can ever take the next step. This manifests in confidence. 

My preference for Fitzpatrick was also formed by confidence. Confidence in having seen what he was able to do. Again, very pragmatic.

my thoughts at 4-3

Enjoy 4-3 at least it's a winning record. 

Ideally I'd recommend to stop watching. get a hobby. Take a walk. Stare at a blank wall. That will be better than the rest of the season. Just wait for Buffalo games, Rex knows where all the bodies are buried. 

Or if you absolutely have to watch, take the home dog Raiders and the three points. That game was a loss when they released the schedule. 

Side note why are we even hoping for the Jets to win meaningful games? Why is that even an option? 

The Pats are undefeated and steamrolling teams* this year with extra cheating. 

Meanwhile we spend our time debating Geno vs Petty it's madness.  

I'm getting older. When I was a kid the Knicks had Patrick Ewing and they were a very good team. But the Bulls had Michael Jordan.  9 times out of 10 you are losing to a hall of fame star player in his prime. Them's the breaks. The Jets have Brady in the division. Think about that unpleasant truth for a second. 

It's the point of the league to have that leading man to sell jerseys. They want to sell Pats jerseys like how they sell Manchester United jerseys. All over the damn world. They want more money.

the Jets? They are the Washington generals in this play. How did we the fans get so optimistic? Did we forget how it ended all those other times?  

You're harshing my mellow, man.

Given how Fitz played the first six games you can't be disappointed that your vet backup came in and did the job so well. Wasn't perfect, wasn't even great but he did a lot more than just stop the gap after the presumptive starter was lost. I'm not sure he was expected to be seriously considered as a starter this year but after his performance I just can't see why he would be barred from the conversation if he wins the spot. It's more a commentary on the front office if Fitz is a serious contender for starter next year. We would be dumb not to bring him back as a backup next year, barring major injury. But teach him to slide over the offseason.

Geno...has not yet earned the right to part of any conversation about the future of the team. He has time but it's dwindling and Sunday didn't do him any favors.

Given how Fitz played the first six games you can't be disappointed that your vet backup came in and did the job so well. Wasn't perfect, wasn't even great but he did a lot more than just stop the gap after the presumptive starter was lost. I'm not sure he was expected to be seriously considered as a starter this year but after his performance I just can't see why he would be barred from the conversation if he wins the spot. It's more a commentary on the front office if Fitz is a serious contender for starter next year. We would be dumb not to bring him back as a backup next year, barring major injury. But teach him to slide over the offseason.

Geno...has not yet earned the right to part of any conversation about the future of the team. He has time but it's dwindling and Sunday didn't do him any favors.

I'm not.

I'm just saying, going into next season - there had BETTER be more promising options than Ryan and Geno for the starting gig. I'm okay with Fitz staying in the QB room, and as the safety net if nothing else works out.... but you've got to make a better effort to have someone better. No question.

Deal with it Jets fans! We are too consumed with counting our wins, we don't have time to worry about the rest of the league, as you do. When Jets start winning, you'll see you don't pay much mind to the chatter, other than to LOL at them every now and then. LOL

We are in your HEADS. We bug your lockers and get away with it. We jam your headsets and get away with it. We do whatever we want to you and you are HELPLESS to stop it. Patriots 16-0, and I'll thank you in advance for two of those wins. Keep up the *great* work guys!

Deal with it Jets fans! We are too consumed with counting our wins, we don't have time to worry about the rest of the league, as you do. When Jets start winning, you'll see you don't pay much mind to the chatter, other than to LOL at them every now and then. LOL

We are in your HEADS. We bug your lockers and get away with it. We jam your headsets and get away with it. We do whatever we want to you and you are HELPLESS to stop it. Patriots 16-0, and I'll thank you in advance for two of those wins. Keep up the *great* work guys!

Wetting yourselves to make up petulant false-logic to defend everything the Pats do is literally the brand of your fanbase.

You smell like 3 day old poop that's been sitting in a warm bathroom.

Archived