(R)ex is coming to town.. Thursday, November 12, 8:25 pm - Bills @ Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-- It's not exactly Tom Brady-Peyton Manning, but Thursday night's game between the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets offers an unusual twist for this AFC East rivalry: a quarterback battle.New York's Ryan Fitzpatrick and Buffalo's Tyrod Taylor rank third and sixth in Total QBR, respectively, this season. Both quarterbacks have been a welcome addition for teams that have been deficient at the position for much of the past decade.

Bills fans need no introduction to Fitzpatrick: He spent four seasons with the Bills (2009-12), including three as the starter under current Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Fitzpatrick, 32, has been the NFL's least-sacked starting quarterback this season, taken down just six times by opposing defenses."I have gone against him several times. He is a competitive guy, obviously, and gets rid of the ball," Bills coach Rex Ryan said Monday. "You can't get to him, so he is getting rid of it."Go ahead and write your stories [that] we don't get any sacks -- we ain't getting any this week. That ball is coming out quick, and that is what he does with it. He knows where he is going, he is a sharp guy and he gets rid of it."

Fitzpatrick's career with the Bills was in part ended by his often-reckless decisions with the football. He had an NFL-high 23 interceptions in 2011 and added 16 more in 2012, never exceeding an average Total QBR of 50.0 in Buffalo.But the bushy-bearded Harvard grad has cleaned up some of those problems. He has thrown just seven interceptions in eight games this season, and his 76.7 Total QBR would easily be a career high.Taylor, on the other hand, is essentially an unknown to the Bills' division rivals. He will be making his first start against the Jets and will be seeing his first career action -- regular season or preseason -- against Jets coach Todd Bowles, whose defense ranks ninth in opposing Total QBR this season.

Taylor, a first-year starter, completed 11 of 12 passes in the Bills' 33-17 win Sunday over the Miami Dolphins, and his 91.7 completion percentage was a single-game franchise record for a quarterback with at least 10 attempts.Taylor has completed 71.8 percent of his passes in six games this season, which would break the NFL's single-season record of 71.2 percent set by Drew Brees in 2011 with a minimum of 14 attempts per scheduled game.The problem for Taylor, when healthy and able to play, has been his consistency. He has posted a Total QBR of 85.0 or higher in four games this season, but in his other two starts -- both losses -- his QBR dropped to 32.6 and 16.6. Those were also the only two games in which he exceeded 30 pass attempts.

While it's better for the Bills if Taylor uses his arm in more of a complementary role on offense, his legs pose a threat to the Jets' defense. Taylor ranks second among NFL quarterbacks behind Cam Newton in rushing yards per game and can take over a game with his feet, as he did in a Week 5 comeback win over the Tennessee Titans, when three of the Bills' four longest offensive plays were either Taylor scrambles or designed runs.

The Jets defense allowed Johnny Manziel to lead the Cleveland Browns in rushing yards in the season opener, so containing Taylor in Thursday's game will be key.

The first-ever meeting between Taylor and Fitzpatrick won't be a showdown in the mold of Aaron Rodgers versus Brees, but for two teams weighed down by poor quarterback play from Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Kyle Orton and Mike Vick in recent meetings, Thursday night could offer a breath of fresh air from two of the NFL's better quarterbacks this season.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22020/ryan-fitzpatrick-tyrod-taylor-offer-surprising-bills-jets-qb-battle

Tyrod Taylor honestly does scare me a good bit.  Our slow LB's won't be able to prevent him from getting first downs when he wants them, and that will also cause some strain on our already porous secondary.  Our D-Line will need to consistently win the battle at the point of attack in order to keep him contained.

If you want to win over the court of public opinion you'll have to work harder, you're working with a serious deficit. 

If you plan on giving the incredulous, but cliché, response that you don't care what anyone else things... then you'll also need to work on your self-deluding skill set. 

If you plan on responding at all, you should consider the fact that every time you respond it's as though you are Aquib Talib'ing yourself.

go play w/ your teddy bears, adults are trying to discuss football here.

— Rex Ryan's Big Adventure comes blazing into North Jersey on Thursday, when the Bills—the team Ryan coaches now—meet the Jets—the team Ryan coached from 2009 to 2014.

Ryan has already made his presence felt by telling reporters in Buffalo on Monday that IK Enemkpali, the ex-Jets (and current Bills) linebacker who punched quarterback Geno Smith and broke his jaw, would be a game captain when these teams meet Thursday night at MetLife Stadium.

In response, Jets head coach Todd Bowles didn't have much to say."He coaches his team," Bowles said. "He can name whoever he wants captain. We just coach our guys. We just worry about us. I don't worry about anybody else."But because Ryan is Ryan, here is a transcription of his Monday press conference in Buffalo, at least on the topics relative to the Jets.

Q: You have been downplaying your return. Thoughts on it since it is three days away and this has been a long time coming?

A: Yeah and I get it. You got a—I mean this is going to be a passionate game, it is going to be an exciting game, a whatever type game. But not for the reason you might be thinking. This is strictly about us against another opponent that both teams are battling to try and get to the playoffs quite honestly. That is really what this thing is about. That is why...that is really where it should be, the attention should be based on that. It has nothing to do with, you know, with me or anybody else. That is the reality of this, it has nothing to do with me.

Q: Really?

A: Yeah. Absolutely.

Q: Even with the things Jace Amaro said and the way things fell apart? You even acknowledged in November that you thought you were done there and that this is your last chance and there is a bitter taste in your mouth?

A: Look if Jace Amaro was playing then it would be a different story. No, I am just kidding. It would be the same story, I don't care. I mean that is the truth. I wouldn't care if Joe Namath is the quarterback. I mean what is he 70 now? I think we would be alright. Might change my story if it was the young Joe. Really that is in my past, that is it. This is about going against another opponent that happens to be you know ahead of you right now in the standings and that is what you are trying to do. You are trying to go in to a hostile environment and try to beat somebody. That is what....it is really no more, no less than that. That is the truth.

Q: You wear your emotions, is this something you are trying to tell yourself so the players pick up the message too, or it is really as simple as you make it sound?

A: When I mean I got three hours of sleep so that is probably what has to do that with more than anything. But really this is it. What I mean is my message to the team is the exact same I am giving you, absolutely. Like this is what is it. You are going up against another opponent in a short amount of time. I mean two games in five days that is no easy task. And like I said it hasn't...none of this, I haven't thought about any of it until you asked me questions about it and I really don't think about it. You know, so that is the reality of it.

Q: Just crossing into the stadium as visitor, have you thought of that?

A: No. I haven't thought of it. Maybe it will hit me as I am going in or something. But I haven't thought of it.

Q: What do you think the fans reaction will be?

A: I think we all know. There is going to be a lot of waving out there.

Q: One finger?

A: With one finger and all that stuff. That much is a given. There is no doubt.

Q: What do the Jets mean to you?

A: Well it was a great opportunity for me. There is no question about that. Shoot, that is what it was. Anytime you are a coach in this league and you get an opportunity to be a head coach, there is a lot of great coaches that have never been given that opportunity. So I was blessed to be given that chance. That will always be special, no question. But quit asking me question about that, maybe after.

Q: What do you see in the Jets team you have to go against?

A: Well, it's a really talented team. You touched on it there. Chris Ivory is a big powerful back, great vision, all that type of stuff. He is tough as nails. You have Brandon Marshall, one of the best receivers in the game, doing a great job. They lead the [league] in red zone offense and it isn't a surprise. You got those two giants, [Eric] Decker and Brandon Marshall out there. I think Decker has six touchdowns already. And a great runner in [Chris] Ivory and that is going to help your red zone. And you know [Ryan] Fitzpatrick, I have gone against him several times; he is a competitive guy obviously and gets rid of the ball. You can't get to him. So he is getting rid of it. So go ahead and write your stories we don't get any sacks, we ain't getting any this week. That ball is coming out quick and that is what he does with it. He knows where he is going, he is a sharp guy and he gets rid of it.

Q: How well would you say your staff knows the personnel you are going to be facing?

A: Well, I feel good about it. Obviously I know that team well. Even the adds that they added on in the secondary, [Antonio] Cromartie and [Darrelle] Revis, guys like that, I am very familiar with all of those guys. I feel like I know the team but you still...they are doing an outstanding job. You combine that secondary, you bring Darrelle Revis back into the fold with the nickel is a good player too, Buster Skrine or whatever his name is. The dude is pretty good. I can't pronounce his name, but he is a good player. I think you have [Marcus] Gilchrist as a safety I think he is from Clemson. Anyway they do a great job and obviously they are extremely talented up front.

Q: The Jets are allowing 80 yards rushing a game does that change what you want to do with running the ball?

A: Well we definitely still want to run the ball every week. I don't care if you are going against the 2000 Ravens. They gave up 60 yards a game. I don't know...you are going to go in and want to run the football. That doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be successful at it. But of course you go into the game wanting to run the football.

Q: You want your players to play hard and 100 percent every game, but do you want your players to recognize the situation?

A: Absolutely recognize the situation.

Q: I am talking about of your return.

A: No, that has nothing to do with it. Trust me I would agree and I 100 percent recognize the situation we need to beat this football team. We need this win there is no question about it. It is going to be tough. Like I said this is as talented a group as you will play in a lot of areas. But recognize the situation absolutely we need to win this game. Pour everything we have into it. That doesn't mean we are definitely going to do it...but approach it that way it's going to take everything we have.

Q: Is there any chance we see IK as one of the captains this week?

A: Yeah. I mean I am going to...I get ripped...I do this all the time with anybody that has played you are going to see. Will [Matthew] Mulligan be out there? Yup he will be out there because for them you put them out there. Recognize their teammates and all that, their former teammates. I do I put that...if I a guy plays...if there is a kid that is on our roster from Maryland, it is pretty safe to say he will be a captain also. If there is a guy who went to high school in Maryland there is a pretty good chance he will be there. So that is how I do the captains. If IK [Enempali] went out there by himself maybe that would be a different statement. But that is not what we do.

Q: Can you make yourself a captain on Thursday?

A: We are checking on that right now.

Q: What have you seen from IK this year and why was it important to give yourself another chance?

A: Well I think he is a good player. We played him in the game this past week. And I thought he did a decent job for us. You know he is backing up two great players with Mario [Williams] and Jerry [Hughes] but we were able to put him in a package last week that got him in the game a little. We will see about him doing it. I like him, he is a good player.

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/11/rex_ryan_on_ik_enemkpali_jace_amaro_getting_the_fi.html#incart_river

Meh, I think we need to move the ball early and often. I don't care if it's by "stretching the field" or by running the annexation of Puerto Rico. Even if Fitz does start dropping deep bombs, I don't think Rex's defense is going to just give us the run. At the end of the day, we should probably just score more points than they do. 

Yes, one season where he earned his trip to the playoffs and beat the Pats on his way to a pathetic loss to the Steelers in the AFCC game. The first year, we backed in. What he did once we were in was impressive, but it wasn't a good season by any stretch of the imagination. He had the same record as Mangini the year before him, he just lucked into the playoffs, while for Mangini he got fired. The notion that Rex wasn't involved in shaping the roster with both Tanny and Idzik is naive. The proof proving this wrong is extensive, to the point where it's not worth rehashing... if you still have the wool pulled over your eyes, then it's because you want to be wrong. Not because you haven't been shown otherwise.

The Marshall throw was along the sideline. 

By the way.  As usual you were wrong, the throw was not down the sideline and was not a back shoulder throw.  It was a terrible underthrown pass that should have been a TD

http://tinypic.com/r/5trqtd/9

How any franchise worth a shlt would allow that.   Cowhers  daughter went to Princeton....  Urban Meyer to GT.    You'd never know it.  Those are class acts.    Rex s kid sat the bench At Clemson.   Rex is embarrassing.

yep, Urban Meyer's programs were nothing but class at UF and now OSU:lol:

How any franchise worth a shlt would allow that.   Cowhers  daughter went to Princeton....  Urban Meyer to GT.    You'd never know it.  Those are class acts.    Rex s kid sat the bench At Clemson.   Rex is embarrassing.

You loved Namath as did I but I don't know if you could call him a class act could you??

and his teams overachieved 2 of those 4 years w/ only one really bad season that was sabotaged by the inept GM.

Outside of hating Rex's big mouth I think most haters can't stand the fact that he made 2 AFCCG's and had the number 1 defense in 09.. How many Jet HC's have made 2 AFCCG's?? Walt in the strike shortened season of 1982 and the Tuna in 1998.. That's just twice in 40+ years other then Rex..

Outside of hating Rex's big mouth I think most haters can't stand the fact that he made 2 AFCCG's and had the number 1 defense in 09.. How many Jet HC's have made 2 AFCCG's?? Walt in the strike shortened season of 1982 and the Tuna in 1998.. That's just twice in 40+ years other then Rex..

No coach has more playoff wins, road playoff wins, title game apps, he won the biggest game in franchise history outside of the 1968 season but fans have short memories.  the last 4 years weren't fun but I still appreciate what he did while he was year which was accomplish more than any other HC not named Weeb Ewbank.

No coach has more playoff wins, road playoff wins, title game apps, he won the biggest game in franchise history outside of the 1968 season but fans have short memories.  the last 4 years weren't fun but I still appreciate what he did while he was year which was accomplish more than any other HC not named Weeb Ewbank.

And Weeb has just 1 more win then losses and he had 2 HOF QB's.. Rex did it with a rookie and 2nd year QB..

Is it possible to appreciate what he did in terms of getting us there and also not be a fan of all the "other stuff" that comes along with it?  

Absolutely but for most if you don't hate him like they do your a idiot.. Rex isn't a complete HC but I thought he was fun.. I have high hopes for Bowles but he looks like press conferences are pure torture for him.. The only guy that hates that more then him is BB..  

4 straight years of -90 net points or more, and we're supposed to appreciate Rex for being "fun" for the first 2.  Meanwhile it's a negative that Bowles treats press conferences the same way as a 4-time Super Bowl champion (yes, he's a cheater but also an excellent coach).  Can't make this stuff up. 

Yes, those 2 playoff runs were fun.  Too bad they're ancient history now.  For the majority of his coaching tenure he was a loser, just like Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini before him. 

4 straight years of -90 net points or more, and we're supposed to appreciate Rex for being "fun" for the first 2.  Meanwhile it's a negative that Bowles treats press conferences the same way as a 4-time Super Bowl champion (yes, he's a cheater but also an excellent coach). 

Can't make this stuff up.  Yes, those 2 playoff runs were fun.  Too bad they're ancient history now.  For the majority of his coaching tenure he was a loser, just like Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini before him. 

It's not a negative nor did anyone say it was but you.. Yes Rex was a loser like Edwards and Mangini without better QB's like they had.. BTW how did that great cheating HC do before Brady?? And I even agree he's a great coach..:)

It's not a negative nor did anyone say it was but you.. Yes Rex was a loser like Edwards and Mangini without better QB's like they had.. BTW how did that great cheating HC do before Brady?? And I even agree he's a great coach..:)

The QB excuse was long ago removed from the list for Rex.  He supported the pick of Sanchez, and supported his extension, when he should been pounding the table for a new QB.  His handpicked QB in Buffalo is to this point the best decision he's made at the position (yet now he's set about to ruin their top 5 defense), but not having a QB in New York was as much on him as it was Tannenbaum/Idzik.

In no way, shape or form should Rex be given sympathy for being victimized by the players he handpicks.  It's the job of the coach to handle the personnel he's given.  He's in the same exact category as Herm and Mangini:  Losers.

The QB excuse was long ago removed from the list for Rex.  He supported the pick of Sanchez, and supported his extension, when he should been pounding the table for a new QB.  His handpicked QB in Buffalo is to this point the best decision he's made at the position (yet now he's set about to ruin their top 5 defense), but not having a QB in New York was as much on him as it was Tannenbaum/Idzik.

In no way, shape or form should Rex be given sympathy for being victimized by the players he handpicks.  It's the job of the coach to handle the personnel he's given.  He's in the same exact category as Herm and Mangini:  Losers.

On this we agree 100% which is why I have said he's not a complete HC.. One other thing Woody said Rex didn't speak up at meeting the last 2 years yet you and others say he did all the drafting even when he didn't want Hill Tanny took him anyway.. Tanny also didn't listen to Bradway about Wilson..

-- Ten things to know about the Buffalo Bills (4-4), the New York Jets' next opponent (Thursday night)   :

1. The coach needs no introduction. For six years, Rex Ryan was a dominant figure on the New York sports landscape, entertaining fans with his unfiltered personality. He finished with a 46-50 record, plus a 4-2 mark in the playoffs. His tenure can be divided into two chapters. Good Rex: He was 20-12 in his first two seasons, with back-to-back appearances in the AFC Championship Game. Bad Rex: 26-38 over his final four years, with no playoff berths.

2. Ryan's coaching staff has a lot of familiar faces. He brought 10 coaches with him from the Jets, including Dennis Thurman (defensive coordinator), Anthony Lynn (running backs), David Lee (quarterbacks) and Karl Dunbar (defensive line). This is a definite advantage for the Bills; these coaches have intimate knowledge of the Jets' current personnel, if not the offensive and defensive schemes.

3. IK Enemkpali is a huge storyline. He was a virtually anonymous player until Aug. 11, when he broke Geno Smith's jaw with one punch during a locker-room altercation. He was fired immediately by the Jets, but he wasn't out of work for long. He was claimed on waivers by the Bills -- a classic Ryan move. After serving a four-game league suspension for violating the personal-conduct policy, Enemkpali now is a situational pass-rusher. Rex being Rex, he's planning to make him a game captain this week -- a controversial move that has turned Ryan into the villain.

4. Ryan is known as a defensive savant, but the Bills' defense has regressed on his watch. The Bills led the NFL last season in sacks, Total QBR and third-down conversion rate, and they ranked third in pass defense. They have fallen off in all four categories this season. In fact, they're 16th in total defense, which has to sicken Ryan. The ranking is hard to believe, considering the amount of talent on the defensive line. They've already had three games in which they allowed at least 34 points. Mario Williams made headlines by questioning Ryan's scheme -- something that rarely, if ever, happened to him in New York.

5. As noted, the Bills are loaded up front with Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams (injured) and Jerry Hughes, but the production has dropped. Under defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz last season, the Bills recorded a league-high 40 sacks with standard pressure, according to ESPN Stats & Information. This year, they have eight sacks with standard pressure, tied for 22nd. Nevertheless, they could pose problems for the Jets, who have injury issues at center and right guard.

6. Since 2009, when he drafted Mark Sanchez and made him a Day 1 starter, Ryan has been searching for a true franchise quarterback. People thought he was nuts for taking the Bills job because of their quarterback struggles in the post-Jim Kelly era, but he may have discovered a gem in Tyrod Taylor, who is ranked sixth in Total QBR (72.5). Taylor is a dynamic player, especially when he's outside the pocket. He's a run-pass threat who will test the edges of the Jets' defense. His problem is consistency. He has posted a Total QBR of 85.0 or higher in four games, but in his other two starts -- both losses -- his QBR dropped to 32.6 and 16.6. Those were also the only two games in which he exceeded 30 pass attempts.

7. One of the first moves Ryan made in Buffalo was trading for running back LeSean McCoy. He has been banged-up from the outset, but McCoy rushed for a season-high 112 yards last Sunday against the Miami Dolphins. Now he's dealing with a shoulder injury, but he's expected to play.

8. Ryan inherited a terrific young receiver, Sammy Watkins, who apparently stopped whining long enough to have a monster game last week -- eight catches for 168 yards and a touchdown. He made a public stink earlier in the season about his role in the offense, complaining about a lack of targets. Speaking of the coaches, he told the Buffalo News, "You're making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad." He'll make the Jets look bad if their pass defense doesn't improve.

9. Watkins and McCoy get the headlines, but the X factors could be tight end Charles Clay (team-high 35 catches) and wide receiver Chris Hogan, an under-rated New Jersey product with sneaky speed.

10. It would be so Rex if the Bills open in the Wildcat package, wouldn't it? No doubt, it would trigger a lot of bad memories for Jets fans. Surprisingly, the Bills have run only two Wildcat plays, throwing once out of the formation.

>      http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55855/rex-ryan-brings-history-playmakers-and-underachieving-defense-to-metlife

On this we agree 100% which is why I have said he's not a complete HC.. One other thing Woody said Rex didn't speak up at meeting the last 2 years yet you and others say he did all the drafting even when he didn't want Hill Tanny took him anyway.. Tanny also didn't listen to Bradway about Wilson..

Basically, whether Rex is involved or not in the personnel decisions, the roster will go to sh*t. 

Too much involvement and solid veteran character guys like Tony Richardson or Fred Jackson get replaced with the likes of Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes, Richie Incognito and IK Enemkpali. 

Too little involvement, and his act falls on deaf ears with the personnel he's given (like the Bills D-line, who he pissed off both through disrespectful comments and running a scheme that didn't match their abilities).  That's when the "anonymous" quotes about Rex not being given enough talent start coming through the media.  Even when we were using a bevy of first round picks on defense in New York, somehow that wasn't enough for Rex.  Even Idzik, for all his flaws, gave him Sheldon Richardson, yet we still couldn't get a pass rush or turnovers.  We're getting both with Todd Bowles.  Weird.

I'd love to see and hear how Bowles is handling this game from the inside.  From all accounts Bowles is a fiery, competitive guy behind closed doors.  Everyone knows this is a Rex homecoming.  Bowles didn't get to where he is by not being a competitor.  

You have to imagine he's pressing every button possible to get his banged up squad ready to go.  

Rex does it his way.  Bowles does it his way.  I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear the type of motivational messages he's sending to our boys...

Archived