Brandon Marshall: If Jets get rid of me, I'm done with football

pointman

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25402031/brandon-marshall-if-jets-get-rid-of-me-im-done-with-football?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

By John Breech | CBSSports.com
December 5, 2015 2:07 pm ET

The New York Jets are the fourth team that Brandon Marshall has played for in his 10-year career, and they're going to be the last team.

The wide receiver said on Friday that if the Jets decide to get rid of him, he won't look to sign with anyone else, he'll just quit football.

"Once the Jets say, 'We don't need you anymore,' I'm going to venture off into that world," Marshall told theNew York Daily News. "I'm not playing for another team. Four is all I need."

Marshall then went on to explain why he doesn't want to play for a fifth team.

"It's too hard to make new friends and relationships and deal with different egos," Marshall said. "I don't like the business already. So I'm not trying to deal with that."

Marshall's comments basically echo something that he tweeted in July.

If I'm cut tomorrow. I'll retire. This will be my last team

The difference between now and then though is that his tweet in July came before the season started, when Marshall had no idea how he'd fare in his first season with Jets.

The receiver was traded from Chicago to New York in March.

The reason Marshall's comments are somewhat surprising now is that the 31-year-old has proven that he can still play. Marshall ranks in the top eight in the NFL in both receptions (71) and yards (931), and his nine receiving touchdowns this year are tied for second in the NFL.

The Jets wide receiver is on pace for 103 receptions this year, which would obliterate Al Toon's franchise record of 93, set in 1988.

Marshall says that he's been able to stay successful because his game isn't built around something that receivers lose as they get older: speed.

"My game is not built on speed," Marshall said. "For me, it's what I was born with: my size, my strength. My separation is an inch. It's being able to use my leverage to get open. That's all I need. So I can play as long as I want ... This will be my last team. So whether that's another year or if they keep me another five or six, I'll be in shape to do it."

The Jets will almost certainly keep Marshall through at least the end of his contract, which runs through the 2017 season.

If Marshall plans on staying in New York for the rest of his career, that means there's a lot of pressure on the Jets to get him a postseason berth. The 2006 fourth-round pick has never been to the playoffs.

Marshall's streak of missing the postseason has lasted through four years with Denver (2006-09), two years with Miami (2010-11) and three years with Chicago (2012-14).

Despite missing the postseason, Marshall did produce with each of those teams.

If the Jets wide receiver tallies at least 69 yards against the Giants on Sunday, he'll becomethe first player in NFL history to hit the 1,000-yard mark with four different teams.

The Jets uniform will be the last one that Brandon Marshall wears. (USATSI)
The Jets uniform will be the last one that Brandon Marshall wears. (USATSI)

Brandon Marshall’s $7.5 million contract becomes guaranteed if the wide receiver is on the Bears’ roster March 12. The 30-year-old has been given no assurances that will happen, though he said Wednesday he wanted to remain with the team that signed him to a three-year contract extension in May. "I want to play for the Bears,” he said. “I want to retire a Bear.”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-football/7/71/361440/brandon-marshall-wants-return-bears-sure-will

If you look at the numbers he's put up with crap QBs its debatable.

A few more seasons at the rate he's been going the past several seasons and he'll be in the top ten for receiving TDs, yards, and receptions. That's certainly not an automatic ticket in, I don't think anything is anymore, but I think almost everyone that's top ten in those three categories are in Canton.

A few more seasons at the rate he's been going the past several seasons and he'll be in the top ten for receiving TDs, yards, and receptions. That's certainly not an automatic ticket in, I don't think anything is anymore, but I think almost everyone that's top ten in those three categories are in Canton.

Quick look, the only guys in the top ten for all three of those categories are Rice, Harrison, and Tim Brown. So yeah, that probably gets Marshall in there.

Quick look, the only guys in the top ten for all three of those categories are Rice, Harrison, and Tim Brown. So yeah, that probably gets Marshall in there.

Quick math as well, if the season ended today, Marshall would have to average 85, 1100, and 9 over the next three years to get in that realm. Quite possible given his age and history of conventional production with crap quarterbacks.

If you look at the numbers he's put up with crap QBs its debatable.

He doesn't have a ring and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Lynn Swan never had a 1,000 yard receiving year but is in the HOF.

Think those 4 rings and phenomenal playoff performances had anything to do with that?

Marshall has no chance at the HOF.

why would they get rid of him ?

he has as many TD's as OBJ and Gronk

he's a star

It was a quote pulled from an interview he did with Mehta. Was just talking about his current work off-the-field and what his plans are for after football, and when he'd be able to allocate more time for that stuff.

You can't be serious?

Marshall has zero chance on getting into the HOF.

I completely agree TX...I had this debate with someone on another thread recently who said he was already a HOF, which is outrageous .

It was a quote pulled from an interview he did with Mehta. Was just talking about his current work off-the-field and what his plans are for after football, and when he'd be able to allocate more time for that stuff.

that was directed to the trolls and haters.  I'm bored

He doesn't have a ring and has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs.

Lynn Swan never had a 1,000 yard receiving year but is in the HOF.

Think those 4 rings and phenomenal playoff performances had anything to do with that?

Marshall has no chance at the HOF.

He's a better WR than Belicheat is a coach.  Imagine if Brandon Marshall had Tom Brady?  Wow!  If he switched teams with Belicheat, he'd be the one with the rings.

Even with crappy QB play, he's produced year in and year out.  Without Brady, Belicheat is UNDER .500.

Archived