Position by Position: Cuts, re-signings and needs

Jetsfan80

my brain hit a wall when i got to the RB/WR area. I'll have to come back to read the rest. 

Stacy can fck off. Ridley too... no ceiling with either of them. staff our backfield with more potential. Way more. 

2ndly I nearly choked on my tongue when i read "keep Enunwa -- need "NO" 

What a terrible/limited assessment of our needs for Chan's 4 WR set offense. 

I didn't like Enunwa UNTIL he made two big catches. One that saved a game and the other catch in the OT win vs. the Pats and barreled his way downfield. The kid is a BEAST, I man his body is monstrous.  I give him more time to develop.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like Enunwa UNTIL he made two big catches. One that saved a game and the other catch in the OT win vs. the Pats and barreled his way downfield. The kid is a BEAST, I man his body is monstrous.  I give him more time to develop.

Agree on Enunwa not on Thompkins he needs to be gone Clyde Gates II

Some decent thought in the original post but I take issue with a few things.  'this guy is cheap so keep him.' No, some of these guys you have listed as cheap back ups cannot play and I refuse to believe we cannot either get better cheap ufas or better year udfa to replace some of them.

I am okay with keeping stacey, i want no part of ridley and have no idea what our teams fascination with this guy is, he stinks and his wrecked knee made it all the worse.

Pace, he can't play.  I could care less if he is a good vet and knows the the defense and is smart, he cannot play, see eric smith, jim leonard.  Quit clinging onto these vets who are not fast enough or have lost their instincts.

Let Ivory go? Almost as smart as Todd Bowles decision to essentially not play him in the biggest game of the year.

Part of the reason they weren't playing him is that he's been dealing with nagging injuries the entire 2nd half of the season.  Which is the exact reason why we can ill afford to give him a long-term, pricey extension.  His running style, while awesome in the short-term, is what keeps him out of games when you need him most.

I've been one of Ivory's biggest fans since he arrived.  I defended him despite people ripping him for not being able to catch passes out of the backfield.  But he's extremely risky and will likely be looking for starting money and a 4-year deal to give him some security for the future.  No thanks.  It's hard enough to justify giving RB's a 2nd contract after their rookie deal, especially so for ones who have a well-documented injury history.

If we're going to keep either Powell or Ivory, it has to be Powell.  We went 9-2 when Powell was available and he may actually come cheaper than Ivory.

Then he's nothing more to us than a player taking up a roster spot he cant stay healthy enough to ever play for this team, 

Could be but until he's healthy enough to evaluate fairly he's not getting cut, costing us $4 mil with no relief so he can play for another team.

He goes to NE and plays like his scouting report you and everyone who wants him cut now will explode

Part of the reason they weren't playing him is that he's been dealing with nagging injuries the entire 2nd half of the season.  Which is the exact reason why we can ill afford to give him a long-term, pricey extension.  His running style, while awesome in the short-term, is what keeps him out of games when you need him most.

I've been one of Ivory's biggest fans since he arrived.  I defended him despite people ripping him for not being able to catch passes out of the backfield.  But he's extremely risky and will likely be looking for starting money and a 4-year deal to give him some security for the future.  No thanks.  It's hard enough to justify giving RB's a 2nd contract after their rookie deal, especially so for ones who have a well-documented injury history.

If we're going to keep either Powell or Ivory, it has to be Powell.  We went 9-2 when Powell was available and he may actually come cheaper than Ivory.

As much as I love that style, love Ivorys game, I think you may be right.

Could be but until he's healthy enough to evaluate fairly he's not getting cut, costing us $4 mil with no relief so he can play for another team.

He goes to NE and plays like his scouting report you and everyone who wants him cut now will explode

Milliner was injury prone in college nothing has changed, 

My favorite part of this post is that Geno was/is a distraction.  lol

Such a distraction that the Jets won 10 games and Fitz went on to set single season passing records. 

Geno thinks he should start, per this article:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57752/jets-geno-smith-wants-opportunity-to-compete-for-starting-job-in-2016

Meanwhile, Bowles announced TODAY, 9 months before the start of the 2016 season, that if Fitz returns, he's the starter.

The potential for a distraction next season is absolutely there. 

Such a distraction that the Jets won 10 games and Fitz went on to set single season passing records. 

After training camp i don't think he was a distraction at all and actually he did the right things and kept quiet.  I also think the jets brain trust doesn't like him and will jettison him this off season despite him still being an affordable backup.

Makes a lot more sense than 90% of whats posted on the internet.  

Makes a lot of sense actually.  And how do you know they wouldnt have won another game or Fitz could have improved on his numbers without all the Geno talk and Geno questions?

Not getting how its a LOL moment

Two biggest issues that I've seen is special teams and overall team speed. I mean we looked pretty slow at times. No kick return or punt return ability to speak of. Its like we were almost guaranteed to have our offense go the length of the field unless we got the ball back on a turnover. Punting this season has been terrible!! I know we miss Nick Folk but i think Bullock was borderline ok given the circumstances. Our O-Line is getting older, but I thought they played well enough. I thought Winters made some strides considering many thought he was a bust. We need to get faster at the Linebacker positions for sure.  

Biggest Issues i see:

OLB- Pace is over the hill. Would like to see an upgrade here

ILB- I love Harris, but he's a liability coverage. Davis was worse. 

CB- Cromartie needs to go, but I'm worried about the other corners ability to step up

P- Quigly get him out now! I cringed over every punt.

WR- Need a 3rd or 4th receiver. Enunwa is a big body, who can provide depth but not reliable hands. Maybe he can work on it. I think Tompkins is ok and I would give him a shot. Kerley just seemed so disinterested by his diminished role. I just wish we could find one of those slot guys who can come in and catch a few balls here and there and make their name on special teams (ie, Edleman, Cole Beasley, Dwayne Harris, Travis Benjamin Types). Too many dropped balls this year as well. 

RB- Ivory to me is a keeper, but his running style leaves the opportunity for us to be short handed at RB again. We need to find better depth at RB. Ridley did not have the burst I expected. 

We just kind of look like the Big Hulky slow jets. 

The big problem with these lists is that people act like you are making the 53 man roster next September instead of assembling the offseason 90.  Guys like Thompkins, Stacy and Geno don't make anybody happy, but there is little reason not to let them compete.  It is also why the boatload of practice squad guys like Howshare, Bostwick, Saxton, and Anderson will all likely be on the roster. They like Catapano he will surely be back as a DE or OLB.  Allen seemed like he may have been a good fit.  Guys like Sudfeld, Allen and Jarrett may be back - but they are obviously cheap and won't be counted on.

• I STRONGLY disagree with letting Harrison walk easily.  If they do, it is a major need.  They may not need to spend that much on the line, but they need a nose.  Remember the days of Robertson?  Bowles doesn't pay it Rex level lip service, but I think he prioritizes stopping the run. In Arizona he had Williams and went out and signed Tommy Kelly.  Simon could not even beat out TJ Barnes. This team is not going into the season with him at NT IMO
  • I think guys that have been around as long as Pace can get paid more, but only count the vet min against the cap.  It was a rule to keep teams from filling the bottom of their roster with fringe level cheapo rookies.  Contrary to Beerfishes opinion, I think he will be playing somewhere.  They need another OLB beyond Mauldin and Reilly, but you listed that as a need, so I would certainly be fine with letting Pace walk.
  • Don't like Wesley Johnson at C.  Dozier must be worse.  I don't have much problem with banking on Mangold staying healthy, but they should at least try to upgrade.

If there's any position a team could survive a 100% overhaul, it's at RB. The reality is, the stage is set for an large exodus: 

I totally agree with this.  RB is not like offensive line where you need consistency and time to gel.  OTOH, the problem is how it will be in practice.  The regime had Ivory under contract.  They re-signed Powell cheap after letting him shop around.  The two guys they went after - Stacy and Ridley were both disasters.  They were cheap, so hopefully the FO can do a better job scouting backs.

It would actually save $4M in cap space by cutting Milliner.  Hard to totally rule out the possibility of us moving on from him.

His deal was guaranteed, so he doesn't save anything.

Shaq Evans is on the Jaguars now and Owusu was cut mid season. 

Correct about Evans. He's been on their practice squad all year, but Owusu was cut and placed on IR. 

According to this:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Milliner cut would be all dead money.

Oops, guess you guys knew that already.  Sorry.

I agree with this.  I have no idea what they think of Geno.  If they think he was a must cut now, they probably would have cut him already.  He certainly didn't seem to cause any problems since he came back other than his face annoying some people. I wonder what they will do with him.

Geno thinks he should start, per this article:  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57752/jets-geno-smith-wants-opportunity-to-compete-for-starting-job-in-2016

Meanwhile, Bowles announced TODAY, 9 months before the start of the 2016 season, that if Fitz returns, he's the starter.

You need to phrase this better...Geno was/is/will be a distraction

Two biggest issues that I've seen is special teams and overall team speed. I mean we looked pretty slow at times. No kick return or punt return ability to speak of. Its like we were almost guaranteed to have our offense go the length of the field unless we got the ball back on a turnover. Punting this season has been terrible!! I know we miss Nick Folk but i think Bullock was borderline ok given the circumstances. Our O-Line is getting older, but I thought they played well enough. I thought Winters made some strides considering many thought he was a bust. We need to get faster at the Linebacker positions for sure.  

Biggest Issues i see:

OLB- Pace is over the hill. Would like to see an upgrade here

ILB- I love Harris, but he's a liability coverage. Davis was worse. 

CB- Cromartie needs to go, but I'm worried about the other corners ability to step up

P- Quigly get him out now! I cringed over every punt.

WR- Need a 3rd or 4th receiver. Enunwa is a big body, who can provide depth but not reliable hands. Maybe he can work on it. I think Tompkins is ok and I would give him a shot. Kerley just seemed so disinterested by his diminished role. I just wish we could find one of those slot guys who can come in and catch a few balls here and there and make their name on special teams (ie, Edleman, Cole Beasley, Dwayne Harris, Travis Benjamin Types). Too many dropped balls this year as well. 

RB- Ivory to me is a keeper, but his running style leaves the opportunity for us to be short handed at RB again. We need to find better depth at RB. Ridley did not have the burst I expected. 

We just kind of look like the Big Hulky slow jets. 

We're one of the bigger teams in the league.  Was listening to a report about how few injuries we had going into week 17 and the size of the roster was credited.  

Makes sense while a finess team like the Pats have injuries up and down their lineup.  

Plus I don't see where team speed was an issue or cost us in any way.  Old age with someone like Pace yes.  But he hasn't been speedy in 10 years.

We're one of the bigger teams in the league.  Was listening to a report about how few injuries we had going into week 17 and the size of the roster was credited.  

Makes sense while a finess team like the Pats have injuries up and down their lineup.  

Plus I don't see where team speed was an issue or cost us in any way.  Old age with someone like Pace yes.  But he hasn't been speedy in 10 years.

Lucky Whitehead and Tyrod Taylor immediately come to mind.

No one is giving Ivory a 4 year deal. He's lucky he gets a 3 year deal.  More like a 2 year cap friendly incentive based deal. Resign him based on that if he's willing.  3 backs.. Ivory, Powell and a Lamar Miller type.  None of these 3 are cow bell franchise backs but together pose a sweet tandem and offer the luxury of having next man step up without missing a beat.

I totally agree with this.  RB is not like offensive line where you need consistency and time to gel.  OTOH, the problem is how it will be in practice.  The regime had Ivory under contract.  They re-signed Powell cheap after letting him shop around.  The two guys they went after - Stacy and Ridley were both disasters.  They were cheap, so hopefully the FO can do a better job scouting backs.

It was widely reported last year that we were gunning for a "big back" last year in the draft... it didn't happen and we settled for taking on Stacy and keeping Ridley around.

What to take away from that? They have a board, and when the right guy wasn't there, they past on the notion and went in another direction. I can respect that. Stick with what you know.

Breno's post-June 1st cap savings of $4.5M (with just $625K in dead money) looks very expendable.  But with how long it takes to develop OT prospects and our limited free agent dollars, that's a "believe it when I see it" type of move.  We have to be confident we have an upgrade on the roster before cutting ties.  I think after the 2016 season would be the right time to make that decision.

We are on the exact same page here.

No one is giving Ivory a 4 year deal. He's lucky he gets a 3 year deal.  More like a 2 year cap friendly incentive based deal. Resign him based on that if he's willing.  3 backs.. Ivory, Powell and a Lamar Miller type.  None of these 3 are cow bell franchise backs but together pose a sweet tandem and offer the luxury of having next man step up without missing a beat.

So much "not gonna happen".. If you're name is Chris Ivory, and you have ONE more contract left in you, are you gonna stick around NY?... hell no. He's taking the best offer out there, and that won't come from us for the reasons you just stated. 

On top of that - Miller is gonna be sniffing for his first big contract in the spotlight as a feature back. And again, that won't be here.

Time to re-calibrate what you think is going down in 2016 in our backfield my friend. 

Powell will never rush for 1,000 yards.

So much "not gonna happen".. If you're name is Chris Ivory, and you have ONE more contract left in you, are you gonna stick around NY?... hell no. He's taking the best offer out there, and that won't come from us for the reasons you just stated. 

On top of that - Miller is gonna be sniffing for his first big contract in the spotlight as a feature back. And again, that won't be here.

Time to re-calibrate what you think is going down in 2016 in our backfield my friend. 

Hey at least I'm trying to offer solutions 'my friend'. 

Hey at least I'm trying to offer solutions 'my friend'. 

The solution is pretty obvious, we do what we can to seduce Powell back with cheap, but heavy on guaranteed money - and draft a feature back.

I'm not saying that to be snarky, just being honest. We're not in a position to be resigning backs for big dollars - and RBs in Miller's position will get the money they're looking for from a offensively-challenged team willing to spend to catch lightning in a bottle. ie. WSH, HOU, TEN etc. 

Shut up you penis. lol.  The kid said he'd like a shot to start.  My god.

No different than this year and they won 10 games and Fitz broke single season passing records. 

After training camp i don't think he was a distraction at all and actually he did the right things and kept quiet.  I also think the jets brain trust doesn't like him and will jettison him this off season despite him still being an affordable backup.

Possibly.  I think he sticks around.  Finding a back up, as cheap with as much starting experience isnt easy.

Makes a lot more sense than 90% of whats posted on the internet.  

Makes a lot of sense actually.  And how do you know they wouldnt have won another game or Fitz could have improved on his numbers without all the Geno talk and Geno questions?

Not getting how its a LOL moment

OMG

"Possibly.  I think he sticks around.  Finding a back up, as cheap with as much starting experience isnt easy."

This goes along with my comment about cheap players, if you don't like the player his cost means nothing at all.  If the jets like petty even a thimble more than geno then geno is a goner.

You don't let Harrison walk you transition tag him like they did last year and get a pick for him if someone wants to sign him. Unless of course they can't tag him again like they did last year.

There is a big difference between tendering a restricted rights FA, like they did last year and the transition tag.   A restricted FA has 3 years or less in the league.  The transition tag is like the franchise tag's little brother. it gives right to match any contract for slightly less money than the franchise tag (which would net picks if the player signed elsewhere).  This year's transition tag for a DT is $9M. 

Archived