Bills another team that does not recognize greatness

Scott Dierking

a great organization that knows nothing but winning would make year 2 playoffs or else?  then we know rex must suck, too bad he badly outcoached our coach in our biggest game in 5 years.

You sound like the posters who used to follow Tim Tebow from one fan site to the next insisting that each team in turn was crazy for not being able to see the value in their guy.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait til Ozzie Newsome gives an interview ....  "Yes, we chose a DB coach over the great REX.  Why?

He was a blowhard.  In fact, we encouraged the Jets to take him.  "

He was a special teams coach for 9 years, and really was only made a DB coach by Andy Reid (just for 1 season) prior to earning the Ravens job, since at the time it was viewed as highly improbable for a coach to make the leap from ST's to HC and have success. 

To be fair, he wasn't Ozzie Newsome's first choice.  That was Jason Garrett.  But Rex was pretty far down that totem poll for sure, it would seem.

yeah I figured this thread was crap when I read it and took about 2 minutes to verify I was right.  Keep fighting the good fight Scott.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/whaley-bills-talk-extension/

"Responding Tuesday to a text from The News, Pegula called the report of the one-year ultimatum “BS,” adding, “Bills are long term within.”

The high-ranking Bills source also said there was no ultimatum given to Whaley and Ryan to perform in 2016 or be fired. Those close to Pegula also say it’s not in his nature to do such a thing."

Yes, because it'd be good business to hang on to a publicly reviled head coach who's turned your organization into a national punchline despite having minimal return. 

yeah I figured this thread was crap when I read it and took about 2 minutes to verify I was right.  Keep fighting the good fight Scott.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/whaley-bills-talk-extension/

"Responding Tuesday to a text from The News, Pegula called the report of the one-year ultimatum “BS,” adding, “Bills are long term within.”

The high-ranking Bills source also said there was no ultimatum given to Whaley and Ryan to perform in 2016 or be fired. Those close to Pegula also say it’s not in his nature to do such a thing."

This would be fantastic news.  Rex in Buffalo 4eva.

Jesus, some of you with this Rex nonsense makes me want to vomit. You REALLY want that underachieving slob of a HC back in NY? Go root for the Bills then. Last I checked, Buffalo had the #2 ranked D last season. Where are they now? "Ohhhh but they beat us week, 17"  SHUT. THE. ****. UP.

The Jets hired him too, And some (won't name names), thought that even through the bitter end, that he was the cat's meow. 

This isn't too hard if you don't try to over think it.

Yeah but the Jets and Bills are ******* terrible.  So what the **** do they know? 

And if they failed to recognize greatness or whatever, why hire him in the first place?  At least the Jets had an excuse, he was an unknown at the time.  lol

This is a weird place these days.

How someone who has coached in the league for 6 years, and has a career sub .500 record can be so misjudged, is just beyond all reason.

the same guy who holds the Jets record for playoff games won, road playoff games won, title game apps.  he sucks, it was all just luck.

the same guy who holds the Jets record for playoff games won, road playoff games won, title game apps.  he sucks, it was all just luck.

You are what you most recently have perfumed. 5 consecutive non-playoff teams.

Pretty sure it was Rex that guaranteed a playoff appearance in his first year with the Bills. Pretty sure it was Rex that looked at Buffalo's defense from the prior year and said it could be improved. 

Owners hear theses things, and when you say them to be guarantees, they hold you accountable. The Rexophiles just seem to ignore them though. and live in the days when mortgages were free, and gas was high in price.

You are what you most recently have perfumed. 5 consecutive non-playoff teams.

Pretty sure it was Rex that guaranteed a playoff appearance in his first year with the Bills. Pretty sure it was Rex that looked at Buffalo's defense from the prior year and said it could be improved. 

Owners hear theses things, and when you say them to be guarantees, they hold you accountable. The Rexophiles just seem to ignore them though. and live in the days when mortgages were free, and gas was high in price.

I don't care what he does in Buffalo(I hope he never makes the playoffs in Buffalo), he did a very good job for us and I appreciate it.  when he had similar talent to the 2015 jets he led us to title games not missing the playoffs. he had a great start here and fizzled later, hopefully Bowles does the opposite.

Yes, because it'd be good business to hang on to a publicly reviled head coach who's turned your organization into a national punchline despite having minimal return. 

Regardless, it would be very bad business to issue such an ultimatum. You'd basically be guaranteeing that Whaley and Rex spend every last cap dollar and then some in a last ditch effort to make the playoffs, screwing the next duo that comes into office. As has been alluded to by a couple people in this thread, the AFCe has a tough schedule next year. I'm bracing for the Jets to have a worse record, the Bills should be doing the same. 

I don't care what he does in Buffalo(I hope he never makes the playoffs in Buffalo), he did a very good job for us and I appreciate it.  when he had similar talent to the 2015 jets he led us to title games not missing the playoffs. he had a great start here and fizzled later, hopefully Bowles does the opposite.

Then why did you bother to comment in this thread? 

Jesus, some of you with this Rex nonsense makes me want to vomit. You REALLY want that underachieving slob of a HC back in NY? Go root for the Bills then. Last I checked, Buffalo had the #2 ranked D last season. Where are they now? "Ohhhh but they beat us week, 17"  SHUT. THE. ****. UP.

You're telling the wrong people to stfu..  No one except 1 guy who was clearly trolling said they want Rex back.  Others are simply responding to dozens who are obsessed with Rex and start 20 page threads every week to remind everyone how terrible he is. 

it was a stupid thread to bash a good coach, I just like to talk reality

Average coach, as his record implies- sub .500. 

He had some nice breaks along the way- Indy laying down for him, Facing Marvin Lewis who has never won a playoff game, facing a Charger team that that always underperformed in playoffs. 

Give him credit, he did have the nice NE win. And then he let down the following week in typical Rex form, treating one game as the SB, when it was not the SB. And it has unraveled since. 

Average coach, as his record implies- sub .500. 

He had some nice breaks along the way- Indy laying down for him, Facing Marvin Lewis who has never won a playoff game, facing a Charger team that that always underperformed in playoffs. 

Give him credit, he did have the nice NE win. And then he let down the following week in typical Rex form, treating one game as the SB, when it was not the SB. And it has unraveled since. 

It's amazing how jet fans will try to take credit away from the team for making a conf title game.

it's too bad Bowles didn't have such advantages w/ that incredibly difficult sched then watching Pitt lose and needing only to beat a dead Bills team but we'll take credit away from rex for winning playoff games.

You're telling the wrong people to stfu..  No one except 1 guy who was clearly trolling said they want Rex back.  Others are simply responding to dozens who are obsessed with Rex and start 20 page threads every week to remind everyone how terrible he is. 

I for one think we made a huge mistake letting Rex go, and we should do everything in our power to get him back. The fact that he beat us 2 times this year tells me everything I need to know. I was wrong, Woody was wrong, we need to fix this problem and get our guy back, I miss the good old days.

It's amazing how jet fans will try to take credit away from the team for making a conf title game.

it's too bad Bowles didn't have such advantages w/ that incredibly difficult sched then watching Pitt lose and needing only to beat a dead Bills team but we'll take credit away from rex for winning playoff games.

Rex SHOULD be better than Bowles at their given stages of their careers.  

BTW it's been 3 days, get over it guys. Jets have had worse losses then this

Rex SHOULD be better than Bowles at their given stages of their careers.  

BTW it's been 3 days, get over it guys. Jets have had worse losses then this

how about Rex year 1 vs. Bowles year 1 w/ similar talent?  rex had us playing for SB, Bowles couldn't beat Buffalo and get to playoffs.

we have had worse losses but not many.  How many reg season games were worse than this? 

My goal for this team is to at least get to the SB, if not winning it. I would like to see THAT.

Sorry if my expectations exceed yours.

how about Rex year 1 vs. Bowles year 1 w/ similar talent?  rex had us playing for SB, Bowles couldn't beat Buffalo and get to playoffs.

we have had worse losses but not many.  How many reg season games were worse than this? 

I'm not questioning Rex as a motivator. But as an overall head coach

My goal for this team is to at least get to the SB, if not winning it. I would like to see THAT.

Sorry if my expectations exceed yours.

Can you get to a SB without first playing in a conf title game? In our history we have been to 5 AFL/AFC title games(and we can throw out '68 b/c we were automatically in the game for winning a weak division) so really 4 times in our history so that's 4 chances to reach SB and Rex led us there twice.  I appreciate that. I hope some day we'll break through and reach the SB but I appreciate how close we got and how much fun those runs were.

I'm not questioning Rex as a motivator. But as an overall head coach

it's fair to question him, I just hate seeing him bashed constantly when he did good things for us and then just knocked us out.  I am annoyed I have to defend him, I want to move on.

Can you get to a SB without first playing in a conf title game? In our history we have been to 5 AFL/AFC title games(and we can throw out '68 b/c we were automatically in the game for winning a weak division) so really 4 times in our history so that's 4 chances to reach SB and Rex led us there twice.  I appreciate that. I hope some day we'll break through and reach the SB but I appreciate how close we got and how much fun those runs were.

Fine, you will reward less than a goal. I will not. And I will certainly not accept what happened in the most recent years

You speak out of both sides of your mouth, its crazy. On one hand you basically say if we don't win a SB, the season is worth nothing. Then on the other side, you say I am so grateful that we got to AFCCG's. 

There are no trophies for going to AFCCG's, not any more than going 10-6 and missing the playoffs. You get 3 more weeks of Jet football, that is what you get, and a more heartbreaking loss when it happens.

This year we got 4-5 more weeks of meaningful football and a heartbreaking loss.

You speak out of both sides of your mouth, its crazy. On one hand you basically say if we don't win a SB, the season is worth nothing. Then on the other side, you say I am so grateful that we got to AFCCG's. 

There are no trophies for going to AFCCG's, not any more than going 10-6 and missing the playoffs. You get 3 more weeks of Jet football, that is what you get, and a more heartbreaking loss when it happens.

This year we got 4-5 more weeks of meaningful football and a heartbreaking loss.

when did I ever say if we don't win the SB the season is worth nothing?  you are completely making that up. This season would have been a success had we won last week, nowhere have I EVER said a season is only a success if we win a SB.

this year was a lot better than last year but still ending bitterly.  a bitter loss in postseason is easier to take, at least you are playing a playoff team and you get extra week(s) of football.  we lost to a team we were MUCH better than in a game we weren't prepared for.

Regardless, it would be very bad business to issue such an ultimatum. You'd basically be guaranteeing that Whaley and Rex spend every last cap dollar and then some in a last ditch effort to make the playoffs, screwing the next duo that comes into office. As has been alluded to by a couple people in this thread, the AFCe has a tough schedule next year. I'm bracing for the Jets to have a worse record, the Bills should be doing the same. 

I guess. It's a pretty transparent ticket-sales ploy, likely thrown out there by Russ Brandon, who is the Bills version of Steve Gutman from what you read. 

Don't tell the Colts that there are no trophies for AFC title games

Archived