Thank God the Broncos won!

Jetster

Manning v Brady. Again. This sh*t is getting boring. Go NFC.

This league. This damn league. They ruined one of the best sports every conceived, changing so many rules over time to just completely bias everything to the point where having any chance at sustained success is entirely dependent on finding an elite player at one position. It's created an incredibly boring league that I am legitimately starting to lose interest in.

Agreed.  It's basically all about 1 position these days.  And teams just throw nearly every down now.  RBs used to be high draft picks.  Now they're an afterthought and almost completely interchangeable. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The running game is becoming obsolete. You cant even look at a WR without the fear of being called for illegal contact.  The replays take forever to decipher. The favoritism by refs to certain teams is embarrassing.  It just seems to be getting more and more like a video game.     

Addition: Oh yea and the announcers SUCK.

The running game has become obsolete because most good teams have figured out passing is better. There's little reason to run when the game is close let along losing. Establishing the run was more so teams being stupid than playing good football.

Agreed.  It's basically all about 1 position these days.  And teams just throw nearly every down now.  RBs used to be high draft picks.  Now they're an afterthought and almost completely interchangeable. 

That's one of the crazier parts of how offenses have evolved under the new rules. Used to be using money or a high pick on an elite running back was a no-brainer if you wanted to compete for a Super Bowl. Now if that's even suggested, the immediate response is 'why on earth would you do that?'

Let's be real here, as a Pats hater, there was no chance in hell that the Patriots would have lost at home. Having to win a playoff game on the road changes everything. Pats haven't won a road playoff game in 9 years.

Payton has to do some holistic healing & get that snap back in his arm. It will be much easier playing the Pats if Collins & Mayo are out it just leaves Hightower. Steelers LBs played out of their mind today. They have a lot more speed on D than the Patriots. Force Butler to have to cover Thomas, Pats have no answer for Sanders. If refs call Pats Oline for a few obvious holds, Broncos can beat them.

Nine years w/o a road playoff victory is a long time, plus it is very hard to beat the Broncos

at Milehigh this time of year, they can't drop another 50 passes next week, but I agree they should

p;ull off a sweet victory at home, the Broncos play very smart football, unlike the Jets.

I don't know if it can. The league is sooooo top heavy now, only a very small handful of good teams with a great quarterback. The majority of games on Sunday are snoozefests. And it certainly doesn't seem like the high school and college systems are going to just magically start producing again.

Yeah, agreed. Overall quality of the game has gotten way worse. To your last point, there does seem to some turnover happening now though with Cam, Wilson, Winston, Luck, maybe Bortles and Carr. Some already have proven, and all are capable of making it bearable. Still, I watched less football this year than I ever have. 

That's one of the crazier parts of how offenses have evolved under the new rules. Used to be using money or a high pick on an elite running back was a no-brainer if you wanted to compete for a Super Bowl. Now if that's even suggested, the immediate response is 'why on earth would you do that?'

The Vikings and Rams probably had the top 2 RBs.  One made the playoffs and lost in the 1st round. The other team didn't make it.  Meanwhile, the top QBs are basically all making noise.  Brady, Peyton, Cam, even Rodgers and Russell Wilson got close. 

Let's be real here, as a Pats hater, there was no chance in hell that the Patriots would have lost at home. Having to win a playoff game on the road changes everything. Pats haven't won a road playoff game in 9 years.

Payton has to do some holistic healing & get that snap back in his arm. It will be much easier playing the Pats if Collins & Mayo are out it just leaves Hightower. Steelers LBs played out of their mind today. They have a lot more speed on D than the Patriots. Force Butler to have to cover Thomas, Pats have no answer for Sanders. If refs call Pats Oline for a few obvious holds, Broncos can beat them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Yeah, agreed. Overall quality of the game has gotten way worse. To your last point, there does seem to some turnover happening now though with Cam, Wilson, Winston, Luck, maybe Bortles and Carr. Some already have proven, and all are capable of making it bearable. Still, I watched less football this year than I ever have. 

I certainly hope so. This was a discussion that @bitonti and I used to have years ago when the concussion stuff started breaking. The NFL is entirely dependent on parents letting their kids play football. My fear is that we're starting to see the beginnings of the talent pool winnowing down while at the same time the league has made it harder to become a perennial contender. Two separate problems kind of compounding each other, I guess. Certainly a chance I'm overreacting, but I just can't for the life of me recall ever watching a NFL season that was this bad.

I certainly hope so. This was a discussion that @bitonti and I used to have years ago when the concussion stuff started breaking. The NFL is entirely dependent on parents letting their kids play football. My fear is that we're starting to see the beginnings of the talent pool winnowing down while at the same time the league has made it harder to become a perennial contender. Two separate problems kind of compounding each other, I guess. Certainly a chance I'm overreacting, but I just can't for the life of me recall ever watching a NFL season that was this bad.

Soon enough the NFL might get banned anyway for being too dangerous.

I don't know if it can. The league is sooooo top heavy now, only a very small handful of good teams with a great quarterback. The majority of games on Sunday are snoozefests. And it certainly doesn't seem like the high school and college systems are going to just magically start producing again.

Problem is marketing.  These idiots think 'points' are what draws the average fan to watch. But the ideology of football purists, who have developed and made this game so great over the decades, is being swept under the table for a fast quick thrill.  Gone are the intimidating defenses of the past, the truly great running backs, the dominant offensive line and defensive lines. It's throw throw throw throw throw to these freakish size WR's.  They are a total mismatch to the DB's who cant even run near them because the new rules handicap their cover skills. And the QB's, like you point out, SUCK. They are forcing a type of game on us with these inept QB's that make the games so futile and boring.  And this hhas trickled down throughout the college game so now the players that enter the league are just not trained to block, tackle, play in a pro style offence.  So many QB's just can't live up to the game the decision makers are trying to market. Can you imagine the numbers what QB's like Marino, Namath, Unitas, Montana etc etc would put up under these parameters.  Football has lost its essence, its soul, its strategy...its akin to screwing up baseball with the stupid DH.              

The quality is no different than it was 20 years ago...the athletes are probably even better. The people complaining about "quality" dont seem to like the sport that much tbh. The NFL had no choice but to slowly legislate the head shots out of the game. Even then, I think more people saw the Vacation movie twice in theaters than they did Concussion.

Definitely a legitimate threat worth noting. Now that you bring it up, most of these guys are likely capable of playing other sports as well. Don't quote me on this because I'm not a huge basketball guy, but I think I heard the salary cap is going up somewhat drastically soon. Regardless with more time devotion to other sports and a higher opportunity cost to play a sport such as basketball or baseball that pays out waaaaaay more on average, that threat may be realized in the not so distant future. Damn. Really hope that does not happen.

It's all numbers and odds. When defenders were actually allowed to defend the risk of a pass was much higher. It made sense to try and control the game on the ground. Now you can't touch a receiver you can't touch a QB, and if you do you better be gentle. It's so much easier to pass that the risk/reward of a pass makes a hell of a lot more sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is marketing.  These idiots think 'points' are what draws the average fan to watch. But the ideology of football purists, who have developed and made this game so great over the decades, are being swept under the table for a fast quick thrill.  Gone are the intimidating defenses of the past, the truly great running backs, the dominant offensive line and defensive lines. It's throw throw throw throw throw to these freakish size WR's.  They are a total mismatch to the DB's who cant even run near them because the new rules handicap their cover skills. And the QB's, like you point out, SUCK. They are forcing a type of game on us with these inept QB's that make the games so futile and boring.  And this hhas trickled down throughout the college game so now the players that enter the league are just not trained to block, tackle, play in a pro style offence.  So many QB's just can't live up to the game the decision makers are trying to market. Can you imagine the numbers what QB's like Marino, Namath, Unitas, Montana etc etc would put up under these parameters.  Football has lost its essence, its soul, its strategy...its akin to screwing up baseball with the stupid DH.              

It's like that movie Killing Them Softly. Where all Brad Pitt wants to do is smoke cigarettes and talk about who they're killing next, but instead he's forced to deal with the corporate model and expense reports. That's what NFL fans over the age of 30 are right now.

The quality is no different than it was 20 years ago...the athletes are probably even better. The people complaining about "quality" dont seem to like the sport that much tbh. The NFL had no choice but to slowly legislate the head shots out of the game. Even then, I think more people saw the Vacation movie twice in theaters than they did Concussion.

I think if you ask most people about the effect of the new CBA, they'd disagree. 

Definitely a legitimate threat worth noting. Now that you bring it up, most of these guys are likely capable of playing other sports as well. Don't quote me on this because I'm not a huge basketball guy, but I think I heard the salary cap is going up somewhat drastically soon. Regardless with more time devotion to other sports and a higher opportunity cost to play a sport such as basketball or baseball that pays out waaaaaay more on average, that threat may be realized in the not so distant future. Damn. Really hope that does not happen.

Its also much more difficult to make the MLB or NBA. NFL ratings continue to rise as does participation in the states that have always provided the talent pool. Kids in New York playing quidditch instead of football will fire up the twitter echo chamber, but in reality has no impact on the game overall.

It's exactly what happened to the heavyweight division in boxing. You're a genetic freak athlete. Why the hell would you go and get your brains beat in for a living and deal with an insanely corrupt system when you can just go make $100 million playing basketball? And more importantly, as a kid, why would your parents put you into the former if the latter is an option?

The running game has become obsolete because most good teams have figured out passing is better. There's little reason to run when the game is close let along losing. Establishing the run was more so teams being stupid than playing good football.

That's just totally uniformed. You need to go back and study the history of Pro Football.  the game was designed to be a blend of run and pass, not a top heavy passing exhibition.  

That's just totally uniformed. You need to go back and study the history of Pro Football.  the game was designed to be a blend of run and pass, not a top heavy passing exhibition.  

The game was designed for gambling. You sound like the guy arguing the importance of RBI's.

That was the players own fault. I wish they practiced more. But the quality of the athlete has only improved. Ryan Shazier is 230lbs and runs in the 4.3's

Quality of the athlete was not mentioned in my post, quality of the game itself was. Athletes today are undoubted more talented than they were 20 years ago

The best way for Denver to win this game it to run the football and keep Brady and Company off the field. I mean let's face it, the Manning they are going to get is nowhere even remotely close to the Manning they got in the past. If he had any fastball left they would blown out the Steelers because their secondary is brutal.

New England is 0-3 against Denver in the post season and 2-6 in the regular season in Denver during the Brady era.

The game was designed for gambling. You sound like the guy arguing the importance of RBI's.

Nonsense. The game is designed for what they 'think' is 'action', when in reality they have diluted the strategy and soul of the game. You sound like a guy who saw his first game on a PS2. 

Nonsense. The game is designed for what they 'think' is 'action', when in reality they have diluted the strategy and soul of the game. You sound like a guy who saw his first game on a PS2. 

A slot receiver matched up on a slow linebacker is always better than running into the line of scrimmage with 300lb guys who can run like RB's of the 80's and 90's could. The game has changed because the athletes have,

The NFL won't be banned, but when the talent pool depletes as parents tell their kids to find another sport, the league will crash hard. It's popularity is dependent on the best athletes in the country playing it. 

The talent pool continues to get stronger in the south.

I am no fan of kubiak at all as a coach i'll tell you that much. 

The pats will kill the broncos.  Right now the broncos are KC version 2.0

The Pats look unstoppable. The Panthers however just may beat them at their own game. 

Archived