I Hate The Game Of NFL Football

SoFlaJets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the NFL fixes games. They don't need to. A Super Bowl between Jacksonville and Minnesota would still garner huge ratings. 

What I am saying is that through the rules, the NFL is taking the focus off the play of the team and more on the play of the individual

Totally agree

The days of the "Greatest Show on Turf, Air Coryell, The Purple People Eaters, Sack Exchange, etc, etc are long gone.

It has become about 1 person. The QB. Same as the NBA when it became a Superstar league.

The NFL IMHO does not care about the hardcore fan that has been watching 20, 30 40 years. They are all about the casual fan and bringing them in. The casual fan doesn't care about whether a team is playing zone or man to man or who the 53 man on the roster is. They care about the QB, the trash talkers, and how their fantasy team is doing.

It is how the NFL has gone on become a multi billion dollar brand and there is NO WAY they would ever jeopardize that by fixing games.

here are the last 15 years of Super Bowl teams QBs

2000-Kurt Warner Steve McNabb

2001- Tom Brady Kurt Warner

2002-Brad Johnson Rich Gannon

2003- Tom Brady Jake Delhomme

2004-Tom Brady Donovan McNabb

2005-Ben Roethlisberger Matt Hasselbeck

2006-Peyton Manning Rex Grossman

2007-Eli Manning Tom Brady

2008-Ben Roethlisberger Kurt Warner

2009-Drew Brees Peyton Manning

2010-Aaron Rodgers Ben Roethlisberger

2011-Eli Manning Tom Brady

2012 Joe Flacco Colin Kaepernick 

2013-Russell Wilson Peyton Manning

2014-Tom Brady Russell Wilson

tumblr_ng0ez5mviO1u4ve5oo1_1280.jpg

Totally agree

The days of the "Greatest Show on Turf, Air Coryell, The Purple People Eaters, Sack Exchange, etc, etc are long gone.

It has become about 1 person. The QB. Same as the NBA when it became a Superstar league.

The NFL IMHO does not care about the hardcore fan that has been watching 20, 30 40 years. They are all about the casual fan and bringing them in. The casual fan doesn't care about whether a team is playing zone or man to man or who the 53 man on the roster is. They care about the QB, the trash talkers, and how their fantasy team is doing.

It is how the NFL has gone on become a multi billion dollar brand and there is NO WAY they would ever jeopardize that by fixing games.

You mentioned fantasy football and I think that's the key. That's the core reason why the NFL has become his way.

I do though get what So Fla is saying. I watched the Carolina Seattle game from start to finish but I flipped over for Rangers vs Caps and spent most of the time watching that instead of Steelers Broncos. A good amount of folks are sick of the Holy Trinity of the AFC (Brady, Manning Roethlisberger). Does that mean the Chargers should be drafting a QB every year since Rivers has never been able to crack through ?  

I do though get what So Fla is saying. I watched the Carolina Seattle game from start to finish but I flipped over for Rangers vs Caps and spent most of the time watching that instead of Steelers Broncos. A good amount of folks are sick of the Holy Trinity of the AFC (Brady, Manning Roethlisberger). Does that mean the Chargers should be drafting a QB every year since Rivers has never been able to crack through ?  

No. I don't think that's a product of cheating. That's a product of how bad the AFC depth has been. Browns, Jags, Texans, (for most of the 2000s) Raiders , Bills etc.

Again it's like the NBA. 3 or 4 teams are legitimate contenders, and the rest are brushed away

As I have said, the NFL is becoming more like the NBA. An individual's game. It's not at that level yet, but it's getting there.

Stars getting calls, offenses favored, teams crippled without one player

And this is why it is a disservice to compare the players who played previously to the ones playing today.  

For while the players are today far superior in athleticism they are playing in an environment which actually augments that athleticism as opposed to impeding it.  

In earlier generations of players mere athleticism wasn't enough it would have been negated in many ways by the games physicality. 

But the NFL thinks it can continue down this path indefinitely watering down a good product until it is junk. 

that's sports, people were sick of Magic and Bird, Jordan, Shaq/Kobe, now Lebron.  In baseball people were sick of the Yankees, hockey the red wings, etc...  this stuff goes in cycles. 

I ddn't watch the Steelers-Broncos but for a totally different reason. Jim Nantz and Phil Simms have become aggressively annoying. If they are calling a game, I either don't watch or turn the sound down. I have to go to a loud Super Bowl party this year just so I don't hear the two of them blathering. If the Pats make it, it will be unwatchable as Nantz will spend four hours openly lusting after Brady.

I swear I think Nantz's ultimate dream is to be doubleteamed by Tom Brady and Phil Mickelson at the 50-yard-line as the halftime show of the Super Bowl. 

And this is why it is a disservice to compare the players who played previously to the ones playing today.  

For while the players are today far superior in athleticism they are playing in an environment which actually augments that athleticism as opposed to impeding it.  

In earlier generations of players mere athleticism wasn't enough it would have been negated in many ways by the games physicality. 

But the NFL thinks it can continue down this path indefinitely watering down a good product until it is junk. 

they aren't watering it down, they are doing what they need to do to protect the league.  if older players weren't suing them then the rules would be different. 

Totally agree

Um ... Joe Namath created more new football fans than anyone quite possibly. 

that's sports, people were sick of Magic and Bird, Jordan, Shaq/Kobe, now Lebron.  In baseball people were sick of the Yankees, hockey the red wings, etc...  this stuff goes in cycles. 

The new millennium crybabies don't know anything before year 2000.

not for nuthin' but not only has the game become watered down this site is becoming JetsInsider Lite with a bunch of people that I had no interest in conversing with-when even people who I once considered my internet friends are turning into jerks, well maybe it's just time for me to mosey along-so consider this goodbye 

not for nuthin' but not only has the game become watered down this site is becoming JetsInsider Lite with a bunch of people that I had no interest in conversing with-when even people who I once considered my internet friends are turning into jerks, well maybe it's just time for me to mosey along-so consider this goodbye 

See you tomorrow?

Buh bye. Nite nite. Sayonara. Hasta la vista. Never see you later fumigator. Dzai yjan. Auf wiedersehen. Adios. Ciao!

Can't you see that they set it up exactly that way to throw you off? I mean... it so obvious. Duh...

It also had the intentional effect of trolling us Jets fans.

The scriptwriters like to taunt the audience with dreams and illusions of escape, but for the sake of good TV, they always intend to keep us on Gilligan's Island.

See ya next season.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're entirely wrong, but--Shhh--don't tell the rest of these guys.

Come on Jimmy. You don't mean that. You've been a part of this site for over 10 years. For better or worse we're a part of your family, you can't leave us. 

Right now, I can't help it. I have no desire whatsoever to watch even one single snap of this so obviously set up for ratings so-called game. It just really feels like they are trying to "sell" this game overseas or something. What happened to the days of parity, when any team could go from 4-10 to the Super Bowl? Those days my friends are gone for good, now all we get is Brady, Manning, Rothlessburger, or the other Manning Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees or perhaps the Seahawks. I see it especially in the AFC and I hate what has become of the game that I once loved-it's sad really and anybody who doesn't see it is either too young to know how it used to be, or a cry baby Pats fan who only EXPECTS all the calls and non calls to go their way since it has been that way ever since this commish showed his hand with Spygate. 

There are crooked forces at work here and there are games being fixed and games being thrown. I suspect that the main players in the "fixing" are the zebra crews. You guys wait, it will come out, mark my words, somebody is going to get caught and the whole ball of wax is going to come crashing down just like it did with Major League Baseball and steroids. The day is getting closer and (as sure as njmeadowlands is going to slither here and make his usual jerkoff comments) I can't wait til it does.

Some of this, I can agree with... but answer me this... if we find a legit QB and suddenly become an annual contender for 15 seasons... are you really complaining?

here are the last 15 years of Super Bowl teams QBs

2000-Kurt Warner Steve McNabb

2001- Tom Brady Kurt Warner

2002-Brad Johnson Rich Gannon

2003- Tom Brady Jake Delhomme

2004-Tom Brady Donovan McNabb

2005-Ben Roethlisberger Matt Hasselbeck

2006-Peyton Manning Rex Grossman

2007-Eli Manning Tom Brady

2008-Ben Roethlisberger Kurt Warner

2009-Drew Brees Peyton Manning

2010-Aaron Rodgers Ben Roethlisberger

2011-Eli Manning Tom Brady

2012 Joe Flacco Colin Kaepernick 

2013-Russell Wilson Peyton Manning

2014-Tom Brady Russell Wilson

Here are the "way it used to be" Super Bowl QBs:

1967 - Bart Starr; Len Dawson

1968 - Bart Starr; Daryle Lamonica

1969 - Joe Namath; Earl Morrall

1970 - Len dawson; Joe Kapp

1971 - Johnny Unitas; Craig Morton

1972 - Bob Griese; Roger Staubach

1973 - Bob Griese; Bill Kilmer

1974 - Bob Griese; Fran Tarkenton

1975 - Terry Bradshaw; Fran Tarkenton

1976 - Terry Bradshaw; Roger Staubach

1977 - Fran Tarkenton; Ken Stabler

1978 - Roger Staubach; Craig Morton

1979 - Roger Staubach; Terry Bradshaw

1980 - Terry Bradshaw; Vince Ferragamo

1981 - Jim Plunkett; Ron Jaworski

1982 - Joe Montana, Ken Anderson

1983 - Joe Theismann; David Woodley

1984 - Joe Theismann; Jim Plunkett

1985 - Joe Montana; Dan Marino

1986 - Jim McMahon; Tony Eason

1987 - John Elway; Phil Simms

1988 - John Elway; Doug Williams

1989 - Joe Montana; Boomer Esiason

1990 - Joe Montana; John Elway

1991 - Jim Kelly; Jeff Hostetler

1992 - Jim Kelly; Mark Ripien

1993 - Jim Kelly; Troy Aikman

1994 - Jim Kelly; Troy Aikman

1995 - Steve Young; Stan Humphries

1996 - Neil O'Donnell; Troy Aikman

1997 - Brett Favre; Drew Bledsoe

1998 - John Elway; Brett Favre

1999 - John Elway; Chris Chandler

Here are the "way it used to be" Super Bowl QBs:

1967 - Bart Starr; Len Dawson

1968 - Bart Starr; Daryle Lamonica

1969 - Joe Namath; Earl Morrall

1970 - Len dawson; Joe Kapp

1971 - Johnny Unitas; Craig Morton

1972 - Bob Griese; Roger Staubach

1973 - Bob Griese; Bill Kilmer

1974 - Bob Griese; Fran Tarkenton

1975 - Terry Bradshaw; Fran Tarkenton

1976 - Terry Bradshaw; Roger Staubach

1977 - Fran Tarkenton; Ken Stabler

1978 - Roger Staubach; Craig Morton

1979 - Roger Staubach; Terry Bradshaw

1980 - Terry Bradshaw; Vince Ferragamo

1981 - Jim Plunkett; Ron Jaworski

1982 - Joe Montana, Ken Anderson

1983 - Joe Theismann; David Woodley

1984 - Joe Theismann; Jim Plunkett

1985 - Joe Montana; Dan Marino

1986 - Jim McMahon; Tony Eason

1987 - John Elway; Phil Simms

1988 - John Elway; Doug Williams

1989 - Joe Montana; Boomer Esiason

1990 - Joe Montana; John Elway

1991 - Jim Kelly; Jeff Hostetler

1992 - Jim Kelly; Mark Ripien

1993 - Jim Kelly; Troy Aikman

1994 - Jim Kelly; Troy Aikman

1996 - Steve Young; Stan Humphries

1997 - Neil O'Donnell; Troy Aikman

1998 - John Elway; Brett Favre

1999 - John Elway; Chris Chandler

you forgot Trent Dilfer-Kerry Collins

No, they were 2001. I forgot Favre - Bledsoe

on the original list he skipped over them, I assumed you were filling out the list.

On a side note, they were 2000.  it goes by the season not by when he SB was played.  I always hate the '68 Jets being called the '69 Jets.  it's the '85 Bears not the '86 Bears.

Archived