Better Call Saul, Season 2

AFJF

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Not going to post spoilers but the first two episodes seem three hours long each.  So slow and boring.  Terrible.

I can't bring myself to call it terrible because I love all the characters.   But it's going wayyyyy too slow for being 6 episodes in.  Disappointing.

Just now, JerryK said:

I can't bring myself to call it terrible because I love all the characters.   But it's been wayyyyy too slow for being 6 episodes in.  Disappointing.

I have only watched the first two episodes. I love the characters as well but I have come to expect a little pop every episode, something to make me look twice.  So far I see nothing other than them telling the part of the story anyone who watched the first season could guess. I wont stop watching but this is not a show to binge at this point. One slow monotonous episode at a time would be my recommended approach. 

Guys, I think it has been rock solid so far.  Bob Odenkirk should win the emmy for this awesome character he portrays so well.  The different storylines may seem slow, but they are developing the characters and it is leading towards a solid season with a fair amount of complexity to each character.  I particularly like the role development of "Slippin' Kimmy" in the last few episodes as well as Mike's side stories.  The actors and characters, (mike,kim, brother chuck, howard) are great.

I guess I just really like this more than most.

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Guys, I think it has been rock solid so far.  Bob Odenkirk should win the emmy for this awesome character he portrays so well.  The different storylines may seem slow, but they are developing the characters and it is leading towards a solid season with a fair amount of complexity to each character.  I particularly like the role development of "Slippin' Kimmy" in the last few episodes as well as Mike's side stories.  The actors and characters, (mike,kim, brother chuck, howard) are great.

I guess I just really like this more than most.

I agree, Ive really enjoyed it. I can see how people want to finally see that transformation from Jimmy to Saul, but that transitition is happening. It's a process, not over night. The other story lines that will all wrap up and lead to breaking bad are also interesting because you know how that ends so it's fun to see how it all gets there. 

5 hours ago, JerryK said:

I can't bring myself to call it terrible because I love all the characters.   But it's going wayyyyy too slow for being 6 episodes in.  Disappointing.

I think it is good.  Have they said how many seasons they are going to run the transformation?

54 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I think it is good.  Have they said how many seasons they are going to run the transformation?

I heard Vince Gilligan on a podcast and he made it sound like they are playing it by ear in the writers room. His initial intention, he said, was to have Jimmy turn into Saul by the end of season 1, but when the writing began, the story they ended up telling took them away from that to play it a bit slower. 

52 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

I heard Vince Gilligan on a podcast and he made it sound like they are playing it by ear in the writers room. His initial intention, he said, was to have Jimmy turn into Saul by the end of season 1, but when the writing began, the story they ended up telling took them away from that to play it a bit slower. 

Chuck and Jimmy's relationship is a great story line.  Frankly, after outrightly despising Chuck for what he did to Jimmy, this season everything Chuck has said is true.  Nicely done by the writers.  There's a lot the writers have here to work with, so why rush it to the "Breaking Bad" precipice so quickly?  If they want a long life for the series, they won't rush it at all.

On 3/23/2016 at 4:14 PM, Dcat said:

Chuck and Jimmy's relationship is a great story line.  Frankly, after outrightly despising Chuck for what he did to Jimmy, this season everything Chuck has said is true.  Nicely done by the writers.  There's a lot the writers have here to work with, so why rush it to the "Breaking Bad" precipice so quickly?  If they want a long life for the series, they won't rush it at all.

True, but with a tiny 10-episode season I want something "important to the series" to happen in each one.  I'll be tempted to start skipping episodes if it's just going to be another hour of angry stares and chin-rubbing.

And once they've driven me to the point of skipping episodes, I'll probably, reluctantly, stop watching.

6 minutes ago, JerryK said:

True, but with a tiny 10-episode season I want something "important to the series" to happen in each one.  I'll be tempted to start skipping episodes if it's just going to be another hour of angry stares and chin-rubbing.

And once they've driven me to the point of skipping episodes, I'll probably, reluctantly, stop watching.

I've noticed 2 distinct reactions to Better Call Saul.  From those that adored Breaking Bad, they are mostly frustrated by it. Slower pace, less action, more (intelligent) dialogue.  For those that did not watch Breaking Bad, they seem to like the show a lot more than the other faction.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I've noticed 2 distinct reactions to Better Call Saul.  From those that adored Breaking Bad, they are mostly frustrated by it. Slower pace, less action, more (intelligent) dialogue.  For those that did not watch Breaking Bad, they seem to like the show a lot more than the other faction.

Really? Huh.  No idea why anyone who didn't watch BB would even watch Better Call Saul.  To me it exist because we all loved the first story and Saul of course.  Still haven't watched 3 rd episode but plan on watching them all.  I just expected the recipe from last season with solid in depth character development with one "damn!" Moment per episode.  Zero angst this season so far.  I miss that.  just never expected it to drag.  

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Really? Huh.  No idea why anyone who didn't watch BB would even watch Better Call Saul.  To me it exist because we all loved the first story and Saul of course.  Still haven't watched 3 rd episode but plan on watching them all.  I just expected the recipe from last season with solid in depth character development with one "damn!" Moment per episode.  Zero angst this season so far.  I miss that.  just never expected it to drag.  

we've got several people here who are into Saul but never watched BB.  But we coerced them into watching last season and now they are hooked.  Odenkirk is pretty charismatic.

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I loved Breaking Bad, and I love Better Call Saul.

Probably because I'm easy to please.

34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

we've got several people here who are into Saul but never watched BB.  But we coerced them into watching last season and now they are hooked.  Odenkirk is pretty charismatic.

I agree with that.  Reason I will continue watching.  Last season did not have a single insignificant frame were each shot gave you something.  This season it seems like they are dragging it out.  Maybe saving up to close hard?  Of course I'm drawing this conclusion off two entire episodes. Fat people suck at patience. Odenkirk  is fantastic but the writing has yet to really pull my interest.  

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

I loved Breaking Bad, and I love Better Call Saul.

Probably because I'm easy to please.

BB is the best show I've ever seen and no close second, really.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

BB is the best show I've ever seen and no close second, really.

Amen. A few others shows have gotten close to it's level, but none have ever been able to really sustain that for the whole series. Most shows have ups and downs. Breaking Bad was as complete as they come. Not many shows can even have a satisfying ending, either. The only other show that I can remember that had a complete, satisfying ending--close to BB--was Justified. Sons of Anarchy's ending was pretty good, too.

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Amen. A few others shows have gotten close to it's level, but none have ever been able to really sustain that for the whole series. Most shows have ups and downs. Breaking Bad was as complete as they come. Not many shows can even have a satisfying ending, either. The only other show that I can remember that had a complete, satisfying ending--close to BB--was Justified. Sons of Anarchy's ending was pretty good, too.

I thought The Wire closed out well too.  That'd be my #2 behind BB.

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I thought The Wire closed out well too.  That'd be my #2 behind BB.

I don't know. I wasn't partial to that ending. It really left me wanting more. Maybe it's because I binged the whole series in a matter of a couple weeks. I like endings with a finality. Great show, though.

5 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't know. I wasn't partial to that ending. It really left me wanting more. Maybe it's because I binged the whole series in a matter of a couple weeks. I like endings with a finality. Great show, though.

I can see what you mean, but I guess I've seen so many shows end horribly that my hopes for finales is to not completely screw it up and make the viewer mad.  All I ask is that they wrap it up cleanly with no questions left that will never be answered.  Like I said, it closed out well, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as BB.  

Fantastic show...only thing that really made me mad was that Omar didn't survive all of it.  Great character.

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I can see what you mean, but I guess I've seen so many shows end horribly that my hopes for finales is to not completely screw it up and make the viewer mad.  All I ask is that they wrap it up cleanly with no questions left that will never be answered.  Like I said, it closed out well, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as BB.  

Fantastic show...only thing that really made me mad was that Omar didn't survive all of it.  Great character.

Ohhhhh... The Wire! I don't know why I thought you said The Shield. That's what I was talking about. lol

But talking about The Wire; I finished that last year. I liked the ending; it did have a sense of calm and finality. Better than The Shield. And I loved Omar. Michael Kenneth Williams is a great actor. You should check out his new show Hap & Leonard on SundanceTV.

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Ohhhhh... The Wire! I don't know why I thought you said The Shield. That's what I was talking about. lol

But talking about The Wire; I finished that last year. I liked the ending; it did have a sense of calm and finality. Better than The Shield. And I loved Omar. Michael Kenneth Williams is a great actor. You should check out his new show Hap & Leonard on SundanceTV.

Definitely...loved him in "The Wire" and "Boardwalk Empire".

• 2 weeks later...

The show is really kinda dragging at this point.  I know BB wasn't amazing the first two seasons (and we know the end-game for this one) but it almost feels like this has been an one and half season long set up of the story.  While I want to know how he became Saul, I don't need the story to focus on just that for two seasons now, wish it would move faster.  

Archived