The Jets Better Not Follow The Yankees Lead With StubHub

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Prior to cell phones and computer printers you had to go to Pennysaver and find a broker or eventually eBay and in all cases worry about fraud and worry about timing with the tickets in the US Mail.

StubHub is a godsend to a season ticket holder because it's far easier and faster to find a buyer and complete a secure and safe financial transaction.  Today's ticket buyers are impulsive, they don't think about attending a Yankee game until the day of the game, perhaps the night before.  Very few pre-plan a trip to a baseball game anymore, just too many games, just too easy to find tickets, really easy to avoid committing to a bad weather day.

I thought I was going into NYC today, was going to hit the Museum Of Natural History, but our plans changed.  Just realized the Rangers are at home tonight, might just hit a few buttons and get 2 seats in the next 10 minutes.  That would have been considered impossible just a few years ago.

SAR I

Agree technology has fixed all that but its also led to counterfeiting. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A C level Yankee exec Lonn Trust claimed, amazingly, that he was protecting premier seat owners from having to sit with people who don't belong in their sections, only got there by purchasing tickets at a discount. 

So the Yankees believe the haves should not have to sit with the have nots.  Never mind the haves would feel bad that they paid full price while the have nots didn't.

Has nothing to do with protection or any other bs reasoning.  This was the message given by an exec to explain their policy

The Yankee arrogance is laughable in light of their second team status in NY now

23 minutes ago, Larz said:

They are requiring either a standard cardboard ticket or a digital QR code ticket for entry.

so if the jets do this, you would have to get the actual game ticket into the hands of the buyer ?  that is annoying as hell

how does the digital QR code work ? can you somehow transfer that to the buyer ?

3794_DRW_MobileAccountManager_QR-CodeTix

Definitely annoying, and with the current Jets reward card system I haven't gotten paper tickets in two years, wouldn't even know how to get them.

There was one time two years ago where my son and his friend wanted to go to a Jets game and they were in the city and didn't have a printer so I downloaded the Jets app and transferred my seats to the Ticketmaster app.  They had to download it, register, username, password, address, credit card, had to have a smartphone, then I was able to do the same thing and then download the QR tickets and transfer them to their app.  I'm a fairly tech-savvy guy, not everyone would go through this hassle.  Once it's on your phone its easy.  But the whole process is a pain and something that Ticketmaster won't let StubHub do.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A Yankee exec claimed, amazingly, that he was protecting premier seat owners from having to sit with people who don't belong in their sections, only got there by purchasing tickets at a discount. 

So the Yankees believe the haves should not have to sit with the have nots.  Never mind the haves would feel bad that they paid full price while the have nots didn't.

The Yankee arrogance is laughable in light of their second team status in NY now

The fallacy there is that the wealthy folks sitting in those premier sections are grateful to those who bought the same seats on the cheap from StubHub sitting next to them because those people are their customers for the 20 games they can't attend.  This happens to me all the time at MetLife, we get strangers sitting next to us or behind us several times a year.  I don't get angry, they're my target for the games I can't go to, I want them to like my section and like my seats so they remember later in the year and find my seats on StubHub.

The Yankees are really embarrassing themselves here.  There is no counterfeiting issue and there is no blue collar/white collar class war going on here.  The Yankees want season ticket holders to overpay for awful games, give them no back door to recoup a dime, and then discount the tickets themselves.  The media may fall for the counterfeit smokescreen and the class-warfare angle, but the season ticket holders know what's going on and they're not going to stand for it.  The Yankees are trying to screw their very best revenue generators and that's never going to fly.

SAR I

Trost told WFAN, “The problem below market at a certain point is that if you buy a ticket in a very premium location and pay a substantial amount of money. It’s not that we don’t want that fan to sell it, but that fan is sitting there having paid a substantial amount of money for their ticket and [another] fan picks it up for a buck-and-a-half and sits there, and it frustrates the purchaser of the full amount.”

Trost then added a comment that raised eyebrows on social media because of its seemingly elitist undertones. “And quite frankly,” he said, “the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that’s a frustration to our existing fan base.”

Stay classy Yankees.  Can't make this up.  

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree technology has fixed all that but its also led to counterfeiting. 

Realize that it's actually easier to counterfeit a QR code ticket on a smartphone than it is to counterfeit a PDF ticket on a piece of paper.  Take a screencap, trim the edges off, email it to 10 people in about 1 minute, probably takes me 20 minutes to do the same on a printer and then convert back to a PDF.

Either way, doesn't matter.  Counterfeiting is not the issue here.  That's just a Yankee smokescreen to force tickets to digital and StubHub can't play nice with Yankees digital platform because the Yankees won't allow StubHub access to it.

SAR I

You own your tickets once you buy them.  You should be able to resell them at any price you want.

Yankee Ticket Exchange is currently under investigation by the NYAG office for the price floor issue. The AG has stated that it may be and I feel should be a violation of antitrust laws.

Depending on what they find the Yankees may be compelled to eliminate the price floors.  It's not over yet.  Nevertheless, alot of p*ssed off Yankee STHs right now.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

It seems the Yankees are protecting their fans with all the counterfeiting going on. Remember you own the rights the tickets nothing more the organization decides the rules of the use. 

also they can lower ticket prices, you can literally by a decent used car for the price of 4 box seats.

3 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

You own your tickets once you buy them.  You should be able to resell them at any price you want.

Yankee Ticket Exchange is currently under investigation by the NYAG office for the price floor issue. The AG has stated that it may be and I feel should be a violation of antitrust laws.

Depending on what they find the Yankees may be compelled to eliminate the price floors.  It's not over yet.  Nevertheless, alot of p*ssed off Yankee STHs right now.

Yes and no.

Yes you have some property rights in your ticket.  But the Yankees also have a right to protect the pricing of their remaining unsold tickets.

You aren't allowed to resell commercial airline tickets why should sporting event tix be different? Past practice?  Doesn't exist in capitalism

1 hour ago, 77DRAFT said:

also they can lower ticket prices, you can literally by a decent used car for the price of 4 box seats.

That's my complaint which is that the Yankees have tried to corporatize their pricing structure in a way similar to what MSG has with the Knicks and Rangers.

Would make more sense if Yankee stadium was in midtown but it's not its in the Bronx

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Yes you have some property rights in your ticket.  But the Yankees also have a right to protect the pricing of their remaining unsold tickets.

You aren't allowed to resell commercial airline tickets why should sporting event tix be different? Past practice?  Doesn't exist in capitalism

The market decides what the tickets are worth to a given game within, say, 5 days of that game being played.

The Yankees force a season ticket holder to buy the seats months in advance and if on gameday the opponent is awful, the Yanks are terrible, it's 40 degrees, it's windy, that $200 ticket is only worth $50.  The fans know this, the Yankees know this.  So all the Yankees will be doing with this floor pricing system and StubHub block is preventing the season ticket holder from getting his paltry $50.  It's not like fans will suddenly pay $100 for that game just because that's the lowest price available.  They simply won't go.  So the Yankees lose, the ticket buyers lose, and the season ticket holders lose.  The market decides the value of tickets to a given game.  Not the Yankees.  That's the paradigm change that our connected/social world is experiencing, that's what the Yankees seem to think they're immune to.

The Jets, to their credit, are at least experimenting with variable ticket pricing and are allowing a free market StubHub experience for all fans.  If they are smart, they'd stay that course.  We eat the preseason, we eat lousy seasons, the least the team can do is allow us to recoup a little bit of money for the games we can't attend.  That's the unwritten agreement between season ticket holders and pro teams in 2016.

SAR I

3 hours ago, 77DRAFT said:

Absolutely.

Pro teams must realize that the only thing keeping season ticket holders making their financial commitments is the camaraderie of the fans around them and the guarantee of a seat to a game.  We knowingly overpay for this convenience.  And that's all it is at this point, convenience.  The moment they make it inconvenient to get back money for the games we can't attend, well, it's very easy for us to convert to a-la-carte fans like everyone else out there.  

Typical Jets season ticket holder spends $5,000 for a set of 4 seats.  2 games are lousy preseason.  3 games are Patriots and elite teams.  5 games are mediocre at best.  We could easily take our $5,000 and purchase the very best seats to the very best 4 games and let the Jets eat the losses on the 6 crappy ones.  It's an extremely fine line between remaining a season ticket holder and going a-la-carte,  The math makes no sense.  It's all about convenience.

Back to the Yankees, they'll get to control the floor of their tickets all right.  Next season when half the season ticket holders quit buying subscriptions, they can set a high floor, sell nothing, and apologize to their most loyal fans for screwing them over.

SAR I

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Yes and no.

I will withhold judgement pending the AG's ruling.

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Back to the Yankees, they'll get to control the floor of their tickets all right.  Next season when half the season ticket holders quit buying subscriptions, they can set a high floor, sell nothing, and apologize to their most loyal fans for screwing them over.

SAR I

They may not have to wait until next season.  This new policy was established after they finished their renewals.  STHs may want refunds now. 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

That's my complaint which is that the Yankees have tried to corporatize their pricing structure in a way similar to what MSG has with the Knicks and Rangers.

Would make more sense if Yankee stadium was in midtown but it's not its in the Bronx

+1

Corporatizing 81 games in the Bronx makes no sense compared to 41 games in Midtown Manhattan.  Plus we're talking 19K indoors at MSG vs 46K outdoors at YS?

Even I can figure that out.

The reality is that the middle class is being priced out of sporting events in NY.  This bad economy is not temporary....it's the "new normal" unfortunately.  Ticket prices and athlete salaries are way too high.  Corporate luxury suite sales can't keep going up forever either.

High-def TV also makes it a lot less necessary to go to the games.  Why go when I have a better, sharper view of what's going on in the living room without using all of my disposable income for the week?  And I haven't even mentioned the parking/traffic situation....attending a game is a 7 hour affair.

There aren't enough rich SAR's to fill all the seats....they need to make it easier for the middle class if they want to fill the stadiums in the regular season.

Also, if the Yankees are getting their money from the original buyer of the tickets....what do they care if someone resells it?  The re-seller is taking a loss by selling a $150 ticket for $50, no?

14 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The reality is that the middle class is being priced out of sporting events in NY.  This bad economy is not temporary....it's the "new normal" unfortunately.  Ticket prices and athlete salaries are way too high.  Corporate luxury suite sales can't keep going up forever either.

High-def TV also makes it a lot less necessary to go to the games.  Why go when I have a better, sharper view of what's going on in the living room without using all of my disposable income for the week?  And I haven't even mentioned the parking/traffic situation....attending a game is a 7 hour affair.

There aren't enough rich SAR's to fill all the seats....they need to make it easier for the middle class if they want to fill the stadiums in the regular season.

Great points, our big 4 sports in this country got way too greedy, and future generations won't be as loyal as our generations are.

I fell in love with my teams going to many games for each of my teams every year, season tickets to the Jets, about 1/4 of all Mets games, and lots of Devils games. And my family was  middle class, but it was still very doable.

now I have a family of 5, and we almost never go to any games, it's a very rare occasion, because it's too expensive. My kids like sports, but they don't love it, except for maybe Hockey. The greed is all very short sighted, and I really question whether future generations will be nearly as passionate as current generations.

The Yankees are a disgrace, and I am a big Yankee fan. This move was not needed. The prices for good seats are absurd and even make watching a game on TV depressing. Who wants to watch a game and see empty seats behind home plate and the dugouts. There is no life to the games and now they are making it even more expensive to go to games. Not to mention the Yankees somehow let the Mets build a better a ballpark. 

44 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Also, if the Yankees are getting their money from the original buyer of the tickets....what do they care if someone resells it?  The re-seller is taking a loss by selling a $150 ticket for $50, no?

The Yankees basically told us they'd rather deal with the empty seats than have lower end clientele filling them. I'd imagine it's because the Yankees like promoting their lower bowl seats as a luxury/exclusive item. 

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Agreed that ticket prices are crazy, but I might say that my Jets tickets at $125 for only 8 home games are quite a value compared to a comparable Rangers ticket at $225 for a whopping 41 games.  It takes 5 NHL games to equal the value of just 1 NFL game from an importance standpoint, losing 2 NFL games in a row is equivalent to losing 10 consecutive NHL games from a competitive standpoint.

While not everyone can afford the average $5,000 a year for 4 Jets season tickets, I feel the opposite as you do about the middle class being priced out.  StubHub has made tickets far easier to get and far more affordable.  I couldn't go to the Jags game this past year, and the most I could get for my $125 tickets was $70.  The Jets were 4-3, enroute to a 10-6 season, had a quarterback, had great WR's, were a fun watch on a Sunday at 1PM, and some fan got a bargain at my expense.  I'm fine with that, I can only recoup what the market will allow, and if some young father with his young son just getting a start in life and saving for a house was only able to attend a Jets game because of my loss, that's a good thing.

SAR I

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

The Yankees care because they are competing with their own fans to sell tickets.

The Yankees average 39,900 fans per game and the stadium can seat 49,600.  So on a given night the stadium is 20% empty and the Yankees can't sell their mezzanine seats for $150 if fans in the lower club levels are selling their $275 seats for $100.

From the Yankees perspective, they can't sell the last 20% of the stadium because StubHub is a far more convenient and affordable solution.  By shutting down StubHub and making it less convenient to print out PDF's, the Yankees drive fans to Ticketmaster where they can control the pricing.

From the Sellers perspective, the Yankees force them to spend $275 for all 81 games knowing they can't possibly attend all games, and the new StubHub rules will prevent them from recouping a few dollars of their money back on those nights they can't make it.

From my perspective, the Yankees really don't have 20% of the seats unsold each night.  It's more like 30%, but they're blackmailing their most loyal fans to take seats to games that would otherwise be empty, some Wednesday night in May against a lousy team, no one with an option would take that ticket.  So the Yankees are looking at it the wrong way, they're going to war with their most loyal fans, and this is going to backfire in a huge way.  Once a fan gives up his season tickets and gives up his location, he's not going to be interested in re-joining at a later date.  The season ticket holders become a-la-carte fans, that way they can control their spending and screw the Yankees right back.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Because they can't compete selling the tickets they haven't sold when secondary markets are undervalued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can compete if they lower their prices to meet what the market will allow.

A cold, rainy, Monday night game in May against the Tigers is worth $39, doesn't matter that the Yankees printed $125 on the cardboard.  If they price their unsold loose tickets honestly and based on reality 4-5 days before the games taking into account the things StubHub buyers/sellers consider like opponent, weather, starting pitcher, night of the week, etc. the problem would be solved because the Yankees would be selling at the same prices as their season ticket holders and would then have an even playing field.

The root cause here is that the Yankees refuse to accept that not all tickets have the same value and those values can't be established in February, they get established days before the game.

SAR I

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ticketmaster is the only site that should be used they guarantee the tickets are real,friends of mine bought 10 Giants-Cowboys tickets on StubhHub only to find out on game day they were counterfeit. 

I have used both ticketmaster and stub hub a lot, mostly with success but each has let me down once. Stub Hub was really the only one to make good, and I didn't have to fight for them to do it.

I usually end up buying multiple parking passes for each Jets game, and on 2 occasions Ticketmaster did not deliver in time before I left, 6 hours before kickoff. When contacted, they said they do not guarantee delivery any sooner than "reasonable time before the beginning of the game. I guess 2 hours before is reasonable for them. They would not do anything for me.

I use stubhub a lot too, mostly for Knicks games. I bought some pretty decent seats in the lower corner, probably paid about $250 each for them. When I got there the tix did not work. I bought mine the day before the game and when I went to the customer service window was told that apparently the sh*tbird season ticket holder decided to print his tix out about 2 hours before the game, invalidating the tix I had from stub hub. A quick call to SH customer service and before I could go into beast mode which is usually required to get satisfaction, the rep apologized profusely, told me I had already been refunded, and in 10 minutes a rep was going to physically walk an even better set of tix over to me at right in front of the Garden box office. They were 4th row from the wood on the baseline and probably 3 times the cost of mine.

It seems the Yankees are protecting their fans with all the counterfeiting going on. Remember you own the rights the tickets nothing more the organization decides the rules of the use. 

I will say, the counterfeit market in front of Yankee stadium is rampant, people selling bogus pdfs and even fake hard tickets. Probably the nature of the beast being located in the heart of the Bronx.

It took my friends months to recoup the money they laid out for those tickets and a lot of aggravation phone calls and emails it wasn't easy. 

Hmm, my stub hub issue was resolved immediately and I had an email from paypal about the refund the minute I got off the phone with the sales rep.

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Trost told WFAN, “The problem below market at a certain point is that if you buy a ticket in a very premium location and pay a substantial amount of money. It’s not that we don’t want that fan to sell it, but that fan is sitting there having paid a substantial amount of money for their ticket and [another] fan picks it up for a buck-and-a-half and sits there, and it frustrates the purchaser of the full amount.”

Trost then added a comment that raised eyebrows on social media because of its seemingly elitist undertones. “And quite frankly,” he said, “the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that’s a frustration to our existing fan base.”

I can understand the first quote to a degree, but the second quote is absurd. Even if you think that, how could anyone with even half a brain actually say that anywhere near a microphone!

They can compete if they lower their prices to meet what the market will allow.

A cold, rainy, Monday night game in May against the Tigers is worth $39, doesn't matter that the Yankees printed $125 on the cardboard.  If they price their unsold loose tickets honestly and based on reality 4-5 days before the games taking into account the things StubHub buyers/sellers consider like opponent, weather, starting pitcher, night of the week, etc. the problem would be solved because the Yankees would be selling at the same prices as their season ticket holders and would then have an even playing field.

The root cause here is that the Yankees refuse to accept that not all tickets have the same value and those values can't be established in February, they get established days before the game.

SAR I

I agree with fully. The prior poster that I quoted couldn't understand why the Yanks would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I know the first thing I do, when I arrive at my seats at a game, is to poll the rest of my section on what they paid for those seats.

17 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

+1

Corporatizing 81 games in the Bronx makes no sense compared to 41 games in Midtown Manhattan.  Plus we're talking 19K indoors at MSG vs 46K outdoors at YS?

Even I can figure that out.

Hence an eyesore behind home plate every night. Nothing but empty seats the fans who paid top dollar before just moved to mezzanine or even upper deck. It's really embarrassing 

3 hours ago, joebabyny said:

I can understand the first quote to a degree, but the second quote is absurd. Even if you think that, how could anyone with even half a brain actually say that anywhere near a microphone!

And it doesnt take into account that a large number of premium seats are purchased by corporations and handed out to people who could never afford to sit in those seats. 

Maybe the Yankees can find a way to keep those slugs out of their snooty, premium seats.  Unreal

Archived