Yankees tell players to be more like Russell Wilson, less like Cam Newton

AFJF

Just now, BowlesMovement said:

Wait, haven't you said you have had no interest in baseball for years, and it was too boring? So how did you enjoy all those WS wins? Or are you one of those Yankee fans?

Nope...those WS wins were a long time ago.  I started losing interest when I moved to England and the games started a 1am.  Even the last WS they won, I wasn't that in to it.  I was setting my alarm to get me up for the last few innings of each game so I could see the endings but wouldn't have been all that heartbroken if they'd lost and I only got to see them win three or four rings when I was a rabid lunatic fan.

It's such a boring friggin' game, but Donnie Baseball will always be my guy.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Nope...those WS wins were a long time ago.  I started losing interest when I moved to England and the games started a 1am.  Even the last WS they won, I wasn't that in to it.  I was setting my alarm to get me up for the last few innings of each game so I could see the endings but wouldn't have been all that heartbroken if they'd lost and I only got to see them win three or four rings when I was a rabid lunatic fan.

It's such a boring friggin' game, but Donnie Baseball will always be my guy.

Mattingly was a hard guy not to like as a player.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Mattingly was a hard guy not to like as a player.

Impossible not to like, really.  Played on one terrible team after another and always busted his ass, then came up huge in the post-season.  Just an all-around great human being.  I remember seeing Tommy John in an interview years ago and being asked if he ever knew of a player who didn't screw around on his wife on the road and he said "Mattingly.  Every night, he'd just go back to his room while everyone else was partying"  Of course I"m paraphrasing from an interview I saw 15 or so years ago, but I'm in the ballpark.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Impossible not to like, really.  Played on one terrible team after another and always busted his ass, then came up huge in the post-season.  Just an all-around great human being.  I remember seeing Tommy John in an interview years ago and being asked if he ever knew of a player who didn't screw around on his wife on the road and he said "Mattingly.  Every night, he'd just go back to his room while everyone else was partying"  Of course I"m paraphrasing from an interview I saw 15 or so years ago, but I'm in the ballpark.

To be fair, was TJ really going to tell on Mattingly if he did cheat?  ("he was a scoundrel"). 

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I remember going to Yankees games back in those days, even though I was a Mets fan, with my friends who were Yankees fans. That stadium was a ghost town back in those days, and if it weren't for Mattingly it would have been really bad.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To be fair, was TJ really going to tell on Mattingly if he did cheat?  ("he was a scoundrel"). 

Right, but they didn't say "Hey Tommy, did Don Mattingly ever screw around"?  They asked him if, in his 25-26 year career, he knew of a guy who didn't cheat and he voluntarily named Mattingly.  Huge difference.

2 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I remember going to Yankees games back in those days, even though I was a Mets fan, with my friends who were Yankees fans. That stadium was a ghost town back in those days, and if it weren't for Mattingly it would have been really bad.

Yeah, used to love going to the old place.  I don't think I ever saw Mattingly go yard, but I did see him get four or five hits one day against the Royals with Terry Leach on the mound for KC.

Back on topic though...Russell Wilson is better at dealing with adversity than Cam Newton is :)

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, used to love going to the old place.  I don't think I ever saw Mattingly go yard, but I did see him get four or five hits one day against the Royals with Terry Leach on the mound for KC.

Back on topic though...Russell Wilson is better at dealing with adversity than Cam Newton is :)

Racist!

47 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Right, but they didn't say "Hey Tommy, did Don Mattingly ever screw around"?  They asked him if, in his 25-26 year career, he knew of a guy who didn't cheat and he voluntarily named Mattingly.  Huge difference.

Yeah right.  Word on the street was...

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

That's the hardest part of being a Yankee fan.  It's nice to have enjoyed all the WS wins, but it sucks knowing that you're the only team in MLB to have a few douchebags on the roster.  I remember being so jealous as a kid when the Mets had "The worst team money could buy" and their players were hurling M-80's at their fans.  Stay classy, right?

M-80s at their fans?  Ok.

the money the Yankees have pissed away on this team the past few years takes the title away from the Mets.  They didn't come close to the 4OO mil in signings the Yankees spent to lose.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

That's the hardest part of being a Yankee fan.  It's nice to have enjoyed all the WS wins, but it sucks knowing that you're the only team in MLB to have a few douchebags on the roster.  I remember being so jealous as a kid when the Mets had "The worst team money could buy" and their players were hurling M-80's at their fans.  Stay classy, right?

Yawn. You guys cheered for ARod last year. ******* ARod. 'Nuff said.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

M-80s at their fans?  Ok.

the money the Yankees have pissed away on this team the past few years takes the title away from the Mets.  They didn't come close to the 4OO mil in signings the Yankees spent to lose.

Yes, M-80's at their fans.  It was cool though, afterward the players cleared it all up by saying it was just "a joke", because there's nothing funnier than lighting an explosive and throwing it toward a group of fans. 

16 hours ago, JiF said:

Oh it's a Cam/Manziel thing.  Gotcha.  My bad.

You probably loved Brett Favre. 

So, you took the actions of two completely separate (three or four actually) and combined them all and came up racism. Got it.

Let's look at the equation:

Belicick not shaking hands + Manning not shaking hands + Favre being exuberant = Cam Newton dabbing (and other sh*t to call attention to himself at every turn) when he's winning + Cam Newton turning around and being a sh*thead when he's not on the winning side of the field

Is my math off here?

If this come from Lonn Trust, that elitist douchebag, I want every single Yankee player to celebrate like Cam.... dance in the clubhouse like Cam.... and name their first born male child, Chosen.

But please, leave Donnie Baseball out of any petty arguments about sports. Have some friggin class.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A few things here: this alleged tsunami of Cam Newton criticism lasted roughly 24 hours, and it was basically people killing him for not jumping on the fumble in the biggest spot of his life and then compounding it by not sitting through the press conference to do the pretend self-flagellation we like to see in our athletes when they **** up. Cam carried himself in that situation the way we'd expect Jay Cutler to carry himself in that situation, and everyone (rightly) brutalizes Jay Cutler for his attitude. As for Brady and Manning, in what world do you live in that they don't get criticized? Brady is one of the most reviled figures in sports, and only Papa John likes Peyton Manning. The quarterback gets blasted when their team loses, regardless of their skin color, their history, or their Q-rating. Show me the QB that doesn't get ritually humiliated by the media after losing. You don't get to wave that sh*t off, especially after telling the world that you're reinventing the position. 

You make great points.  However, the tsunami of Cam Newton has lasted years.  

Nobody is saying Cam is above scrutiny.  He plays the most important position in all of sports and it happens to be the most scrutinized as well.  He obviously draws attention on himself.  If somebody takes offense to his attitude toward the press conference, fine.  I could give 2 sh*ts but some people love press conferences I guess.  I've seen plenty of white males storm out of press conferences or just sit up there and mumble there way through and it's no big deal.

If you dont think think he's treated differently in the same situations as his peers or other white males in the NFL, cool.  I see it.  It's fairly obvious IMO.

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, every club has d-bags on their roster. Neither the Yankees nor the Mets have a corner on that market.

What you seem to fail to grasp is the humor of the Yankees pretending that they can actually control such behavior, and then the even greater humor of the hypocrisy of brining in a player (Chapman) who by all appearances and actions, is the exact contrary to self discipline.

Is this just a Yankee thing? No. But I don't see other clubs publishing their media training notes on how to act. 

Just humorous. No need for knee jerk reactions of saying, "yeah but look at xxxx team".

14 hours ago, HessStation said:

Mattingly's best shot. Pisses me off.

they weren't winning in 1994, the bullpen wasn't good, their starting staff wasn't that good either.  They were strugglign at the time of the strike.  they would have finally made the playoffs but I don't think that team wins the WS that year.

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mattingly was jinxed.  They won the year before he got there and the year after he left.  The Dodgers are probably going to win it all in baseball now too.

I think Mattingly was the jinx.  Yanks make WS in 1981, Don comes up and plays through 1995.  next WS app is 1996.  Yanks make 2003 WS, Don joins staff in 2004 and we know what happened in the ALCS.  2 years after he leaves Yanks make another WS.

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nobody is saying Cam is above scrutiny.  He plays the most important position in all of sports and it happens to be the most scrutinized as well.  He obviously draws attention on himself.  If somebody takes offense to his attitude toward the press conference, fine.  I could give 2 sh*ts but some people love press conferences I guess.  I've seen plenty of white males storm out of press conferences or just sit up there and mumble there way through and it's no big deal.

If you dont think think he's treated differently in the same situations as his peers or other white males in the NFL, cool.  I see it.  It's fairly obvious IMO.

No one has paid attention to Cam until this year and the tsunami began w/ what he did at UF and then the pay for play at Auburn(which wasn't his fault but he's linked). 

Maybe you just don't pay attention to when white players get bashed?  

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I agree that people who hate black people probably hate Cam Newton.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, M-80's at their fans.  It was cool though, afterward the players cleared it all up by saying it was just "a joke", because there's nothing funnier than lighting an explosive and throwing it toward a group of fans. 

It was Coleman, a total a$$hole.  But he threw it in the players parking lot.  LA, if I remember.  He didn't throw it at fans, he was messing with some player, not a group of fans.  

It was stupid but not as stupid as throwing it at fans

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It was Coleman, a total a$$hole.  But he threw it in the players parking lot.  LA, if I remember.  He didn't throw it at fans, he was messing with some player, not a group of fans.  

It was stupid but not as stupid as throwing it at fans

How were fans injured if he wasn't throwing it at them?

He threw it toward a group of fans while leaving the lot.

Edit:. Just found this...http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-04/news/mn-20332_1_vince-coleman

38 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Edit:. Just found this...http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-04/news/mn-20332_1_vince-coleman

NEWSFLASH- Ballplayers are selfish, arrogant, boorish and do incredibly stupid things that makes them look incredibly stupid in comparison to the rest of society at times. It is not pandemic to any one team. 

Getting back to the point of the original post, what is funny is that the Yankees seem to think that thy can control this type of behavior. Even funnier is that they leak this to the press. Hypocritical is that they bring in a player over the offseason whose actions seem to be counter to what they are espousing.

Now you can go back to throwing sticks and stones.

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

NEWSFLASH- Ballplayers are selfish, arrogant, boorish and do incredibly stupid things that makes them look incredibly stupid in comparison to the rest of society at times. It is not pandemic to any one team. 

Getting back to the point of the original post, what is funny is that the Yankees seem to think that thy can control this type of behavior. Even funnier is that they leak this to the press. Hypocritical is that they bring in a player over the offseason whose actions seem to be counter to what they are espousing.

Now you can go back to throwing sticks and stones.

the point of what the Yankees were doing was to show their team the right way to react after a tough loss.  What is the problem with that?

34 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the point of what the Yankees were doing was to show their team the right way to react after a tough loss.  What is the problem with that?

The article surmised that the Yankees are trying to teach their players about behavior in total, not just after a loss.

I have no problem with that-You can try to squeeze water from a rock, if you want to give it a try. What seems funny to me is that they leaked this to the press, as if to say "Look at us. The epitome of trying to train our players to be hospitable humans".

This after they brought on a problem (Chapman) who would seem to be the epitome of that message.

Hey, I get that all clubs have these problems (as noted to AFJF). But don't create the illusory messaging that you try to keep your players above the fray, and publicize that.

15 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The article surmised that the Yankees are trying to teach their players about behavior in total, not just after a loss.

I have no problem with that-You can try to squeeze water from a rock, if you want to give it a try. What seems funny to me is that they leaked this to the press, as if to say "Look at us. The epitome of trying to train our players to be hospitable humans".

This after they brought on a problem (Chapman) who would seem to be the epitome of that message.

Hey, I get that all clubs have these problems (as noted to AFJF). But don't create the illusory messaging that you try to keep your players above the fray, and publicize that.

you don't think it would be better to act like Wilson than Cam? whether after a win, loss or whatever?

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you don't think it would be better to act like Wilson than Cam? whether after a win, loss or whatever?

Hey, I run a company and I never tell my employees to act like anyone else. I ask them to consider how their actions impact others and how they may be perceived. 

All anyone can do is be themselves, with an expectation that they act responsibly, with empathy and consideration. That bar is set differently for everyone based on their own expectations. All you can do is guide it. At the end of the day, people are going to be themselves, not Cam Newton or Wilson.

Primary to an organization is know who you are bringing in. If they have been a problem someplace else, chances are that is how they will act for you. Thus, my laughter at the hypocrisy of bringing in Chapman, and then spreading this message. 

"Hey, we tried to tell them how to act. It is not on us" ;)

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey, I run a company and I never tell my employees to act like anyone else. I ask them to consider how their actions impact others and how they may be perceived. 

All anyone can do is be themselves, with an expectation that they act responsibly, with empathy and consideration. That bar is set differently for everyone based on their own expectations. All you can do is guide it. At the end of the day, people are going to be themselves, not Cam Newton or Wilson.

Primary to an organization is know who you are bringing in. If they have been a problem someplace else, chances are that is how they will act for you. Thus, my laughter at the hypocrisy of bringing in Chapman, and then spreading this message. 

"Hey, we tried to tell them how to act. It is not on us" ;)

I understand your point and it makes sense but it's a little different for public figures who are being interviewed before and after every game.  I see nothing wrong w/ using Wilson as an example of how to handle things.  Maybe they didn't need to bring Cam into it, maybe they should have just used Derek Jeter as an example?  but the message is a good one.

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I understand your point and it makes sense but it's a little different for public figures who are being interviewed before and after every game.  I see nothing wrong w/ using Wilson as an example of how to handle things.  Maybe they didn't need to bring Cam into it, maybe they should have just used Derek Jeter as an example?  but the message is a good one.

Again, I have no qualm in trying. My qualm is more of trying to publicize it.

Appears cheesy.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

He threw it in the players lot, think he was throwing it at Eric Davis.  He was a moron and didnt realize fans were near enough to get hit.  But that makes him a dumb ass, doesnt mean he threw it at fans.  They were collateral damage.  Coleman was an a$$hole of the highest order.  

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He threw it in the players lot, think he was throwing it at Eric Davis.  He was a moron and didnt realize fans were near enough to get hit.  But that makes him a dumb ass, doesnt mean he threw it at fans.  They were collateral damage.  Coleman was an a$$hole of the highest order.  

He threw it at the guy who was driving the car he was in and it accidentally injured three fans?  I know he didn't have a very good arm, but c'mon.

I'd bet the African American community is rejoicing that a middle-aged, lily white, trike riding, beach bum from the anus of North America (Jokesonville) -- has taken it upon himself to inform that masses that racism still exists.

Archived