NEXT.. on jets' chopping block... Cumberland & Kerley ? ? ?

kelly

Antonio Cromartie was the first. He probably won't be the last.

The New York Jets, attempting to get their salary-cap house in order before the start of free agency, will continue to cut payroll by releasing players and/or re-working contracts. They saved $8 million with Cromartie's release, giving them approximately $21 million in cap room (based on a projected $155 million cap). Putting on my capologist hat, I suspect they'll need at least $35 million to tag Muhammad Wilkerson, re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick and Damon Harrison and have enough flexibility to add a couple of moderately-priced free agents.

A quick look at who might be next on the chopping block :

Jeff Cumberland, tight end: He couldn't secure a niche in Chan Gailey's offense, resulting in diminished playing time. He'd be an easy cut because he had no signing bonus on the three-year, $5.7 million contract he signed in 2014, meaning no pro-ration.

Cap number: $1.9 million

Cap savings: $1.9 million

Dead money: $0

Jeremy Kerley, wide receiver/punt returner: He's a proven slot receiver, but he had no role on offense. He has no guaranteed money remaining from the four-year, $14 million extension he signed in 2014. They could ask him to take a pay cut, but he'd do better on the open market. The Jets could increase the savings to $2.5 million by designating him a June 1 cut.

Cap number: $3.1 million

Cap savings: $1.3 million

Dead money: $1.8 million

Breno Giacomini, right tackle: He had a mediocre year, so some people are speculating he could be a cap casualty. Thing is, there's no proven replacement on the roster. The Jets like Brent Qvale, but enough to make him a starter?

Cap number: $5.625 million

Cap savings: $4.375 million

Dead money: $1.25 million

Nick Folk, kicker: There are no certainties when you're a 31-year-old kicker coming off an injury to your money leg. Throw in a relatively high cap number, and you end up on a list like this.

Cap number: $3.34 million

Cap savings: $2.2 million

Dead money: $1.2 million

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58593/jeff-cumberland-jeremy-kerley-could-be-next-on-jets-chopping-block

Just now, Beerfish said:

I was going to mention folk in some of these cap conversations but people would full on freak out over this, most fans love the guy.

Giacomini should be #1 then Cumberland then kerley, we might be able to get something for kerley, late round pick perhaps.

I don't think Folk should be cut, unless his injury isn't progressing.  Restructure maybe, but a straight up cut would be hard to swallow.  IMO.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

kerley, we might be able to get something for kerley, late round pick perhaps.

I agree. Kerley may have some value and could/SHOULD be used as a Draft bargaining chip as a throw-in to move up or for a late 7th rounder; he is an experienced vet that won't break the bank & could provide depth for a team w/a SlotWR need in the same regard we netted Fitzy & Posey last year.

Worst case scenario, if he can't be moved for a pick, we save more by cutting him AFTER June 1st. No need to cut bait with him just yet.

Folk should acquiesce to be restructured if he sees the writing on the wall. John Hall & Pat Leahy were UDFA and our 2 best PKs; Folk can be replaced despite his solid production during his Jets tenure.

I'm all for replacing Folk with a better option. But that's the key it needs to be someone better or the same skill set and younger. He's clutch and you don't go very far in this league without a kicker you can count on. It's not the only piece we're missing but it's important. And for what seems like the 10th offseason in a row we need to get a punter. As far as Cumberland goes he needs to go. His hands aren't very good and when he does have the ball he doesn't blow you away with his effort. Dude can't block either. I have zero positives. I mean he had a big catch against the Falcons right? That was a while ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting Breno without having a proven replacement would be a mistake. 

Giacomini is mediocre at best but havent the Jets made this mistake before?

Who is affordable out there that would be an upgrade, Okung, Andre Smith?

Or do they draft a replacement and expect him to be an immediate starter?

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I agree. Kerley may have some value and could/SHOULD be used as a Draft bargaining chip as a throw-in to move up or for a late 7th rounder; he is an experienced vet that won't break the bank & could provide depth for a team w/a SlotWR need

Panthers said the same thing about Cotcherry

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Like most, I'd like to see him upgraded. But there's no point in cutting him yet. Sign (or draft) his replacement and then cut him. He has no spring bonus money coming and the savings is the same after his replacement is secured. They can wait until camp (or at least minicamp) to see whether a rookie looks like he'll fill in adequately or whether we should hold off a little longer before dumping Breno. Also, cutting him early (now) doesn't save nearly as much as the Cromartie cut. Plus cutting Cro didn't necessarily create an immediate new hole in the starting lineup, where cutting Breno does. Plus we could really use upgrades at both tackle positions and should see which upgrade presents itself before deciding which to move on from first (or if it's to be a lateral move, at least clear up $10-15M in the process so we could put that $ to good use elsewhere). 

Cumberland should be gone the moment his salary space is needed for someone else. It's inevitable and while there's no need to do it today, it shouldn't raise an eyebrow if they do. 

Folk I don't agree with cutting. The savings looks to be pretty insignificant for a position that alters outcomes so often. If there's a better (or as good and less expensive) option out there? Fine with me. But cutting him now clears up too little cap space ($2M) on a $156M cap limit, given the importance of a typically reliable kicker. Hate to see bad or lower percentage decisions made in a game because the HC has little confidence in the PK so the decision changes to "ah, f*ck it" instead. 

Kerley is a no-brainer to cut if we can't find a trade partner. Bowles wouldn't use him on offense unless there wasn't another warm body, and he's a bit expensive for a fair catcher no matter how reliably he does it.

~ ~    5. Jeremy Kerley's future remains up in the air: They were noncommittal on the slot receiver/punt returner, relying on the standard "he's-on-our-team-right-now" response -- usually the kiss of death. He could be a cap casualty. I wouldn't be surprised if they're shopping him at the combine.

rest of above article  : 

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/58609/jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-feels-good-about-ryan-fitzpatrick-contract-talks

On 2/23/2016 at 4:36 PM, Jet in PA said:

I'm all for replacing Folk with a better option. But that's the key it needs to be someone better or the same skill set and younger. He's clutch and you don't go very far in this league without a kicker you can count on. It's not the only piece we're missing but it's important. And for what seems like the 10th offseason in a row we need to get a punter. As far as Cumberland goes he needs to go. His hands aren't very good and when he does have the ball he doesn't blow you away with his effort. Dude can't block either. I have zero positives. I mean he had a big catch against the Falcons right? That was a while ago...

We had crap kicking for years, Folk is pretty good.  He got hurt, it happens. 

Cumberland, I agree.  Punter I agree. 

Kerley, you are only saving 1.3, so unless you can bring in a better player for under 1.3, it doesn't make sense to cut him.  If you can trade him, get a 6 back or something like that, maybe.

Kerley, you are only saving 1.3, so unless you can bring in a better player for under 1.3, it doesn't make sense to cut him.  If you can trade him, get a 6 back or something like that, maybe.

It's hard for Kerley to get any work in our offense but he's more reliable than Thompkins/Enunwa. He might not have the size of Enunwa but we can count on him being consistent. If we plan on utilizing him as we did last year he needs to be a day 2/3 trade chip to move up though. He's not producing at PR. There has to be some teams that need a decent reliable traditional slot receiver.

37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Hmm we got Marshall for a 5th pick and you think we can get a 6th for Kerley?? 

On 2/23/2016 at 4:12 PM, Kleckineau said:

I would think they believe we have an adequate replacement on the roster (Qvale) or sign a RT like Massie, Schwartz etc.  I don't think Breno is going to be tough to replace.

15 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Hmm we got Marshall for a 5th pick and you think we can get a 6th for Kerley?? 

Tough to compare trades of that nature, the bears wanted to just get rid of marhsall and he had a bad team reputation.  some team with a few compensatory picks might feel they could trade a later rounder for a proven slot guy that can return punts (very badly)

These are all no brainer cuts to me. We should cut all the dead weight possible to give us the upmost flexibility.

Cumberland and Kerley are pretty much non-factors and Breno has only been OK at best. Folk I would look to restructure because he has done a lot of good things for us and assuming that he's OK following his injury then I would want to keep him around.

A little restructure here and there (I'm looking at you Brick) could set the Jets up nicely going into March.

23 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

These are all no brainer cuts to me. We should cut all the dead weight possible to give us the upmost flexibility.

Cumberland and Kerley are pretty much non-factors and Breno has only been OK at best. Folk I would look to restructure because he has done a lot of good things for us and assuming that he's OK following his injury then I would want to keep him around.

A little restructure here and there (I'm looking at you Brick) could set the Jets up nicely going into March.

The more you re-structure Brick, the harder (more dead money) he is to cut in the future.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I would think they believe we have an adequate replacement on the roster (Qvale) or sign a RT like Massie, Schwartz etc.  I don't think Breno is going to be tough to replace.

If the purpose of ridding themselves of Breno is to improve the OL would any of these potential replacements have the desired positive impact?

Cumberland and Kerley for sure. Both have done little or nothing for the past two years. Kerley fair catches everything on punt returns and Cumberland is not athletic or much of a blocker. Giacomini could be cut, but I would wait until the draft to see if there is a quality replacement. Can count on Brent Qvale to step in and be better.

19 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

If the purpose of ridding themselves of Breno is to improve the OL would any of these potential replacements have the desired positive impact?

The purpose is to rid themselves of a 5 million player with a lower cost guy that can do the same.  Or a similar cost for a better player.  Whether anyone of them is better or cheaper is up to Mac to decide.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The purpose is to rid themselves of a 5 million player with a lower cost guy that can do the same.  Or a similar cost for a better player.  Whether anyone of them is better or cheaper is up to Mac to decide.

It's the same story for both tackles. Breno clears up a lot less space between the two, though.

Our OT situation is a pretty bad one. An NFL worst-ranked unit that will be carrying like a $20M cap hit between them (if both are kept, which just can't happen). 

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Cumberland is horrible.  Cut him already

I don't think you'll have to wait too long. But there's no need to cut anyone until the day his roster spot has been replaced or his cap $ is needed on someone else. Cro was different; he cleared 4x as much and we have a handful of healthy CBs without him. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think you'll have to wait too long. But there's no need to cut anyone until the day his roster spot has been replaced or his cap $ is needed on someone else. Cro was different; he cleared 4x as much and we have a handful of healthy CBs without him. 

I have a special place in my heart for tight ends that don't block or catch

Archived