EAGLES/BRADFORD Agree to terms, sets market possibly for Fitz

JETSfaninNE

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Rams, Browns, 49ers could all use a QB and have a ton of cap space!

Browns? They have McCown for 2 more years and will draft another QB early. I don't see that as a possibility. 

49ers? They have Kaepaernick, until/IF he's ACTUALLY moved, and Gabbert. I think Kelly would prefer those 2 young GUNs (arm talent) than Fitzy. Doubt it.

Rams? perhaps, but I don't see them backing up the Brinks truck for Fitzy. Rams are the most likely of the teams you mentioned to POSSIBLY CONSIDER Fitzy but I think it's unlikely. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been hoping for a 2 year deal with around 10 mil per year Plus about 2 to 4 per year more in reasonable incentives  ... With about 15 total guaranteed.

i'm a fan of Fitz but would have trouble going over something about 12 mil per year & say 3 mil more per year in reasonable incentives

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:
8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Amazing what a deviant mind can visualize when it wants to. Please, leave your fetishes aside for this thread, it's abouattempting to re-sign our incumbent QB to a reasonable deal, not flashbacks of your HS gym locker room fixations.  ;-P

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Man, They really did a number on you, huh? That's impressive. Now be a good Chicagoan and keep those Fanook thoughts in your head and stop detracting from the thread. STAY THE COURSE! ;-)

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Browns? They have McCown for 2 more years and will draft another QB early. I don't see that as a possibility. 

49ers? They have Kaepaernick, until/IF he's ACTUALLY moved, and Gabbert. I think Kelly would prefer those 2 young GUNs (arm talent) than Fitzy. Doubt it.

Rams? perhaps, but I don't see them backing up the Brinks truck for Fitzy. Rams are the most likely of the teams you mentioned to POSSIBLY CONSIDER Fitzy but I think it's unlikely. 

Just looked at OTC. Foles still under contract at $7m. If cut $5m dead money. Probably doesn't work there.

Browns can cut McCown and save $2m. I can see the Browns wanting a warrior behind center.

49ers are still viable. Gabbert cannot tutor a young QB while Fitz would be perfect. 

Again... hoping Fitz chooses to keep his family settled here in metro NY area.

38 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I have a feeling that Fitz contract will have to wait until the Wilkerson deal is done.... to clear cap room and try and sign some other FA.

Mo can really screw the Jets by taking his time to negotiate, causing the Jets to miss out on quality FAs.

The narrative that everything the Jets do this offseason revolves around the Wilkerson situation is a false one. There's like half a dozen moves the Jets can make to clear up cap space one way or another. It would be a very Jets offseason to get stuck in the mud on one player when they have almost 2+ months to figure that situatuon out.

This Bradford signing makes Kaepernick all the more appealing if he can be had at the kind of prices imagined.

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I have a feeling that Fitz contract will have to wait until the Wilkerson deal is done.... to clear cap room and try and sign some other FA.

Mo can really screw the Jets by taking his time to negotiate, causing the Jets to miss out on quality FAs.

mo has every right to wait until july 14th to sign his tender.  he didn't sign revis or harris to stupid deals.  its a business

So the only thing this highlights for me is that it's far less likely that Philly's new coach Pederson goes out and signs Chase Daniel, a guy I would happily take as a "stop gap" veteran if we can't land Fitz on a team-friendly deal. 

Chase Daniel, Petty and draft a rookie. It could work... maybe.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So the only thing this highlights for me is that it's far less likely that Philly's new coach Pederson goes out and signs Chase Daniel, a guy I would happily take as a "stop gap" veteran if we can't land Fitz on a team-friendly deal. 

Daniel's definitely a decent FA target/alternative. 

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just looked at OTC. Foles still under contract at $7m. If cut $5m dead money. Probably doesn't work there.

Browns can cut McCown and save $2m. I can see the Browns wanting a warrior behind center.

49ers are still viable. Gabbert cannot tutor a young QB while Fitz would be perfect. 

Again... hoping Fitz chooses to keep his family settled here in metro NY area.

Appreciate the follow up to give a better/clearer picture.

Browns seem like the only scenario where Fitzy COULD go, but would signing Fitzy in THIS market be cheaper for Cleveland than keeping McCown already at his current salary?

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I liked Chase Daniel @ Mizzou WAAAAAAAAY back in 2008 and recall he didn't get drafted and was considered a fringe QB talent for the NFL. He stuck around as a 3rd stringer, IIRC, so where - you're not the only one who's mentioned Daniel as a viable candidate - does the FAITH in him come from? Did he get playing time at some point that I missed? Is there film that suddenly makes people think he SHOULD/COULD be a starter in the NFL? No sarcasm, legit sincere question. Please . . . enlighten me. 

worst. contract. ever.

Now as much as I love Fitz, and I really do like him a lot more than most, I think it's time to seriously consider taking a QB in 1st round. That's just ridiculous money, especially with the cap situation being what it is. At least it will take a few years before a rookie can ask for $20 mill a year.   

19 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Meh. I'm fairly certain there is a reason Chase Daniel hasn't even thrown 100 passes in the NFL in the course of his career. If they aren't able to bring back Fitz, might as well trial by fire Petty. Why not?

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I liked Chase Daniel @ Mizzou WAAAAAAAAY back in 2008 and recall he didn't get drafted and was considered a fringe QB talent for the NFL. He stuck around as a 3rd stringer, IIRC, so where - you're not the only one who's mentioned Daniel as a viable candidate - does the FAITH in him come from? Did he get playing time at some point that I missed? Is there film that suddenly makes people think he SHOULD/COULD be a starter in the NFL? No sarcasm, legit sincere question. Please . . . enlighten me. 

Past few years, his coaches, and other coaches have talked about him as being starter-ready. He's also looked good in limited playing time, preseason, etc.

Given that he's a FA, doesn't have established starting value, he's a guy that can be signed cheaper than Fitz and potentially come in a "hold the fort" for a year or two... while we develop Petty and/or whoever else we draft. If Daniel ends up being better than "stop gap", then awesome.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Meh. I'm fairly certain there is a reason Chase Daniel hasn't even thrown 100 passes in the NFL in the course of his career. If they aren't able to bring back Fitz, might as well trial by fire Petty. Why not?

Still need a guy on the roster if Petty sucks or gets hurt. I think Daniel can be had for "you'll get a chance to start" money, not for "you are now our starter" money.

Its ironic that Jets fans here are undervaluing the QB position, the NFL does not.  Someone will pay him, if it isn't us, the other owners money spends just the same as Woody's.  If Fitz was going to sign here, I believe it would have been done already.  Thanks for the season Fitz, I really enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Rams & Browns have $45m and $42m respectively.

They have to spend it to hit the cap floor, so it might as well be for a field general while the rookies sit and learn.

Hopefully Fitz realizes his success is tied to Chan's system and 2 very good receivers. While Rams and Browns lack those playmakers.

Browns are drafting Wentz.  The Rams however.  UGH

In 2013 Calvin Pace produced 10 sacks and was a free agent:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4476/calvin-pace

Based on those "stats" he should've been an attractive free agent
and should've gotten quite a few offers.  But he didn't, he re-signed
a one year deal with the Jets for low $$$.  Why???  Because of his
age, everyone in the league knew "what he was" and people weren't 
going to overpay based on "stats".  To me the Fitzpatrick situation
is going to be similar, on top of that don't let a stupid contract
force you to do something dumb

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So what's the season worth? That's what we're asking if this is the benchmark for Fitz. Because if they don't pay him, we're looking at Geno v Petty v Rookie. And you might as well just tank the season at that point for whoever in 2017 because that's a highway to 6-10.

If we lose out on resigning Fitz as much as I hate to say it Kaepernick becomes our only option.  We are forfeiting next season with Geno/Petty/whoever the F falls to us at 20 that isn't as good as Wentz.

Btw, Fitz isn't worth over $10 mil per season.  He had a good year and I want him back but at some point the insanity has got to end.  The Eagles screwed us royally here.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Pace's numbers were clearly an aberration.  Fitz has had statistically good years besides last year and was a dropped pass from making the playoffs and making a serious run as a starting qb.  If I'm the Rams he is my #1 target in FA.  Denver might even go after him if they don't believe in Osweiler they just won a Super Bowl with another QB who can't throw deep why not?

55 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Browns seem like the only scenario where Fitzy COULD go, but would signing Fitzy in THIS market be cheaper for Cleveland than keeping McCown already at his current salary?

The Browns have no interest in Ryan Fitzpatrick for two big reasons.   One the weather- you saw what happened in Buffalo how much trouble Fitzpatrick had throwing the football.    Two there coach is Hue Jackson- who likes to throw the football down the field .( does that sound like Fitzpatrick game).

2 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Browns have no interest in Ryan Fitzpatrick for two big reasons.   One the weather- you saw what happened in Buffalo how much trouble Fitzpatrick had throwing the football.    Two there coach is Hue Jackson- who likes to throw the football down the field .( does that sound like Fitzpatrick game).

3. They're drafting Carson Wentz.

I do think the Rams and maybe even the Broncos are very interested.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Has McCown done anything this past yr? Browns have tons of money.

Just curious, have no idea what, if anything, that McCown did last yr.

NO ONE is making Fitzpatrick their #1 free agent target.  EVERYONE in the league knows what he

is, at this point in his career the Jets offer him the best opportunity for starting & stability

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Allbright can be a smug little pr*ck sometimes, but I figured it's worth putting in here.

Screenshot_2016-03-01-19-28-33.png

That tweet from Anthony Catania is promising.  If I'm reading that correctly the Bradford deal is essentially a 1 yr deal.  Sounds like it should be fairly easy to get Fitz wrapped up at or sub 10 mil for 2 yrs.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

That tweet from Anthony Catania is promising.  If I'm reading that correctly the Bradford deal is essentially a 1 yr deal.  Sounds like it should be fairly easy to get Fitz wrapped up at or sub 10 mil for 2 yrs.

Yes it is Albert Breer broke it down like this:

Screenshot_2016-03-01-20-40-19.png

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

The 3 consonants is CORRECT once again. I only hope the Big J doesn't intervene like he did in '12. 

29 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Has McCown done anything this past yr? Browns have tons of money.

Just curious, have no idea what, if anything, that McCown did last yr.

CAVEAT: I LOVE Fitzy and what he did for the 2015 Jets.

That said, Did Fitzy DO anything in the same regard as McCown, who had a lesser OffensiveSkills roster around him, and would be worth possibly paying MORE for? Both QBs did not lead their respective teams to the Playoffs. The only valid argument one could make to #14's superiority over #12 was that he was able to stay on the field longer. McCown does have the better arm and for Hue Jackson that is rather relevant and material.

In the end, we both agree none are spectacular ALONE, but I can't see an argument that Fitzy would be a significant upgrade in "holding the fort" especially if it would be at a higher cost. If I WERE CLEVELAND, I'd just stand pat w/McCown and groom Wentz.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

MUCH MORE REASSURING when you see the ACTUAL #s on Bradford's deal. As stated before, Fitzy HAS TO REALIZE he can't price himself out of his only legit shot to Play, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, SUCCEED on the field. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

It would have cost nearly $20 Million to franchise him, so, not as bad as first glance, and can let him go for a relatively low amount if Bradford doesn't play to form.  If he does, they don't have to worry about the tag next year, and can restructure.  Bradford still has high potential, but damn, the injury history.

12 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

CAVEAT: I LOVE Fitzy and what he did for the 2015 Jets.

That said, Did Fitzy DO anything in the same regard as McCown, who had a lesser OffensiveSkills roster around him, and would be worth possibly paying MORE for? Both QBs did not lead their respective teams to the Playoffs. The only valid argument one could make to #14's superiority over #12 was that he was able to stay on the field longer. McCown does have the better arm and for Hue Jackson that is rather relevant and material.

In the end, we both agree none are spectacular ALONE, but I can't see an argument that Fitzy would be a significant upgrade in "holding the fort" especially if it would be at a higher cost. If I WERE CLEVELAND, I'd just stand pat w/McCown and groom Wentz.

Ok. Thanks. Your explanatation makes valid points.

It actually helps me feel better about the Jets chances of retaining Fitz. Not many other suitors.

Defenitely need Petty to make a big leap this yr. If not, we may be taking another QB in 2017.

Archived