Jets Best Move So Far?

Sarge4Tide

Best Move?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Jets best move so far has been......

• Playing Hardball with QB Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Re-signing RB Bilal Powell
    • Signing RB Matt Forte
    • Signing RB Khiry Robinson
    • Signing RB / KR Dri Archer
    • Releasing WR Jeremy Kerley
    • Offerring a restricted tender to WR Kenbrell Thompkins
    • Releasing TE Jef Cumberland
    • Restructuring G James Carpenter's Contract
    • Franchising DL Mo Wilkerson
    • Signing DL Steve McLendon
    • Signing DL Jarvis Jenkins
    • Re-signing LB Erin Henderson
    • Signing LB Freddie Bishop from the CFL
    • Not Re-signing LB Demario Davis
    • Releasing CB Antonio Cromartie
    • Signing CB Daryl Morris
    • Something Else

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm going to write-in my vote: His best play is making the Jets a truly airtight organization. 

Think about it, the reason the discussions here are so ******* stupid lately is because the fans have nothing to talk about. The Jets let exactly the information they want out, when they want it out... no more, no less. It's absolute torture to a demented fanbase that thrives on being more relevant in March than in late December... but it time, we'll hopefully adjust to it as the fortunes of this franchise shift under our feet.

Damn.  Schooled by an Ape Man.  

57 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But I'm torn between that, and his handling of Fitz & tagging Mo. Of course, the latter becomes a huge negative if he doesn't find a trade partner to offer us more than the comp pick we'd have gotten, and early March cap room we'd have been able to use, by not tagging Mo and simply letting him go to free agency.

Considering all of the awful decisions that had to be made to create a situation where that's the range of outcomes, maybe that should be the thread instead. And if we save par by getting a halfway decent second rounder it's going to be all how great it was under the circumstances and not the fact that said circumstances consist of David Harris's guaranteed salary and sh*t like that.

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, you think like a broad. 

Beyond that... Something bout blood from a stone. If a solution at QB was there and he drafted "value" instead then that's one thing. Or if Kaepernick turns his career around and we didn't get him. Or Glennon. Or whoever else. 

But if no such eventual franchise QB is available to us what can he do?

Draft draft draft. Draft 7 quarterbacks a year and have them battle to the death every summer. I just refuse to believe there are no options. We have quarterbacks in the league that weren't drafted in the first that are quite good. Play the odds and keep drafting and don't stop until you find someone. 

And if the adage really is that you need to be drafting higher then this franchise needs to stop dicking around and let itself be bad already. Which is exactly why we're not talking about if we think Mariota has the goods for us right now or if we have a legit shot at jumping up for Goff next month. 

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Draft draft draft. Draft 7 quarterbacks a year and have them battle to the death every summer. I just refuse to believe there are no options. We have quarterbacks in the league that weren't drafted in the first that are quite good. Play the odds and keep drafting and don't stop until you find someone. 

And if the adage really is that you need to be drafting higher then this franchise needs to stop dicking around and let itself be bad already. Which is exactly why we're not talking about if we think Mariota has the goods for us right now or if we have a legit shot at jumping up for Goff next month. 

Thing is you also have to have a HC willing to fall on that sword as well, not start the low ceiling guy because he also comes with a lower floor.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Considering all of the awful decisions that had to be made to create a situation where that's the range of outcomes, maybe that should be the thread instead. And if we save par by getting a halfway decent second rounder it's going to be all how great it was under the circumstances and not the fact that said circumstances consist of David Harris's guaranteed salary and sh*t like that.

Perhaps. But regarding the tagging of Mo - who I think it's a given we're not signing long term - it's as simple as that. It's a good decision if we find a trade partner and it yields a 2nd (or even a 3rd, taking emotion out of the equation). If he doesn't, then Maccagnan should have just let him go without tagging him. And if the guy we take with that pick ends up being meh, or an outright bust, then I still won't be in the "We gave up Mo for this?" crowd because tagging/trading Mo was nothing more than trying to get something for nothing during an obvious salary dump. Therefore any pick we get for him is gravy (provided we get better value than the 3rd round comp pick we'd have otherwise received next year, of course).

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm sure you realize this is crazy

you don't throw 7 new QB's into training camp along with everyone else becoming older veterans and free agents.

then each QB doesn't get enough reps ... Does t have enough time with the coaching staff to practice the schemes Bowles, Chan & co want ... Doesn't have a seasoned vet to first hand knowledge them ... Has poorer and poorer talent around them on the roster ... Has regime changes happen more & more often starting the process over and over again because the roster is depleted of players ... And so on and so on 

that's more effort than a response to this needed

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thing is you also have to have a HC willing to fall on that sword as well, not start the low ceiling guy because he also comes with a lower floor.

I read your response as HC willing to roll the dice with a rookie rather than play a slightly above average vet ... Certainly you aren't actually buying what Rutgers is selling there ... And I hope he's just being over the top for dramatic effect

9 minutes ago, ljr said:

I'm sure you realize this is crazy

you don't throw 7 new QB's into training camp along with everyone else becoming older veterans and free agents.

then each QB doesn't get enough reps ... Does t have enough time with the coaching staff to practice the schemes Bowles, Chan & co want ... Doesn't have a seasoned vet to first hand knowledge them ... Has poorer and poorer talent around them on the roster ... Has regime changes happen more & more often starting the process over and over again because the roster is depleted of players ... And so on and so on 

that's more effort than a response to this needed

Thank you for clarifying. I was 100% serious that the Jets should draft 21 quarterbacks over the next 3 years, but your explanation has helped me see the light. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Perhaps. But regarding the tagging of Mo - who I think it's a given we're not signing long term - it's as simple as that. It's a good decision if we find a trade partner and it yields a 2nd (or even a 3rd, taking emotion out of the equation). If he doesn't, then Maccagnan should have just let him go without tagging him. And if the guy we take with that pick ends up being meh, or an outright bust, then I still won't be in the "We gave up Mo for this?" crowd because tagging/trading Mo was nothing more than trying to get something for nothing during an obvious salary dump. Therefore any pick we get for him is gravy (provided we get better value than the 3rd round comp pick we'd have otherwise received next year, of course).

We have to keep Wilkerson if it's at all possible, and while we're up against it right now it's pretty clear that the only thing that would really be prohibitive is a Fitzpatrick contract that would be toxic on its own merits anyway. Everything we've done has been with an eye to keeping both of them at numbers we can live with. If we do that then the offseason is fine. No better than that because the constraints are self-inflicted, but whatever. If we lose Wilkerson we're going into the draft soft for 2017 and beyond at quarterback, receiver, left tackle, end, and corner and down our best player to boot. That's a pretty ugly spot.

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Think about it, the reason the discussions here are so ******* stupid lately is because the fans have nothing to talk about. 

Our two QB's under contract are Geno Smith and Petty.

That's not airtight.  That's last place if Macc doesn't do something to improve it.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the front office truly believes that Goff or Wentz is the real deal, then do what the Redskins did. Bet the f*cking farm on it. Three firsts, Mo Wilkerson......give Tennessee everything for that top pick. 

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

If the front office truly believes that Goff or Wentz is the real deal, then do what the Redskins did. Bet the f*cking farm on it. Three firsts, Mo Wilkerson......give Tennessee everything for that top pick. 

Hate to say it bit I agree.

14 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I'm just glad that Jets fans don't run the show. Another RG3 kind of deal after he gets cut. Even Andrew Luck who was supposed to be the opposite of Griffin. In others words a bonafide indisputable franchise Qb stumbled last season. And people were starting to even doubt him. And if he doesn't have a big year in '16 he could be on a downward slide too. 

49 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We have to keep Wilkerson if it's at all possible, and while we're up against it right now it's pretty clear that the only thing that would really be prohibitive is a Fitzpatrick contract that would be toxic on its own merits anyway. Everything we've done has been with an eye to keeping both of them at numbers we can live with. If we do that then the offseason is fine. No better than that because the constraints are self-inflicted, but whatever. If we lose Wilkerson we're going into the draft soft for 2017 and beyond at quarterback, receiver, left tackle, end, and corner and down our best player to boot. That's a pretty ugly spot.

Well we don't agree on Wilkerson but I don't view that position the same way I view retaining Fitz at 2 years $30M or some such nonsense. 

I like Mo plenty. Just think the signs point to him wanting nearly $20M/yr and don't think he's worth that.

Teams with more cap room than we, and don't already have a pair of 3-4 ends like Richardson and Williams on their rosters, aren't offering up any picks for him so far. We need him a lot less than they IMO. 

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think Mo out maneuvered Mac.  I think Mo is happy with his tag payday and never actually negotiated in good faith.  If he wanted a contract then last year was the right time to get it done.    

He's not the only 1 who has done this . The payout for Mo if he signs his tag is more money in 1 year than he got from his entire original contract over 5 years .Why do you think Cousins signed his tender 1 week after he got tagged . Where else is he going to make 18 mil in 1 year . Even if these cat get hurt during the season, all that money is theirs .  Not so with the guaranteed money in a long term contract which is tied to roster bonuses and a myriad of other   circumstances .

These cats are smart .

Archived