Charone Peake- Clemson.

Villain The Foe

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I think he still is a WR, because we seem to have an infatuation with Kellen Davis.  

The ideal 3 WR set up seems to be Marshall/Decker/Smith with Amaro at TE, and Forte.  Once, it goes to 4 WR set, I think Amaro gets out, Enunwa comes in.  

May I ask why you would think Amaro would be coming out in the four receiver set? Maybe when we spread them out to run because enunwa excels at blocking, but shouldn't the guy with better hands be in the game with a four receiver set?

Peake:.....................................................Martavius Bryant

40 time:  4.41..........................................4.41

20 Split:  2.65..........................................2.57

10 Split:  1.63..........................................1.57

Reps:  12..................................................16

Vertical:  35.5............................................39

Broad:  10'2".............................................10'4"

Shuttle:  4.46............................................4.15

3 Cone:  6.96...........................................7.18

Last Year Stats:

50/716/5..................................................42/828/7

Bryant translated much better in the NFL, so hoping for the same.  While not quite on the level of Bryant, just in terms of performance and ability, Peake isn't far off it seems.  

2 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

May I ask why you would think Amaro would be coming out in the four receiver set? Maybe when we spread them out to run because enunwa excels at blocking, but shouldn't the guy with better hands be in the game with a four receiver set?

Not really a given that Amaro has better hands though.  In 52 targets, Amaro dropped 6 passes two years ago.  In 46 targets, Enunwa dropped 5.  Both of them have suspect hands at this point, so I think they might rotate them from time to time, since as of now Enunwa is a better blocker and faster.  And since Amaro is coming off an injury, I think they are going to limit his snaps somewhat to preserve him.  

Charone Peake   WR   Clemson

STRENGTHS
Charone is another receiver in this draft that can catch the ball while driving a standard shift car down the road and fumbling for change in his pockets to pay the toll. He has nice size, solid speed and shows on film to be a good blocker giving effort on every play even if that play goes to the opposite side of the field. He is smart and can get deep with double moves because he is always giving the impression that he is blocking before running a route on most plays when he is not considered the hot receiver. Charone is a weapon inside the red zone because of his large catch radius and love for the physical part of the game. He will not shy away from contact and uses a stiff arm to gain yardage after the catch. Charone is not as big as most possession receivers are, but he is strong and smart and he has the eye-hand coordination that is unique and needed to catch balls while being contested. With the right quarterback, Charone can become a weapon. 

CONCERNS
Charone lacks the lateral explosion you like to see in the top receivers in a draft class. Without that lateral explosion, he has to play smarter. He has to stop dancing of the line of scrimmage trying to juke his way off because it takes too much time and he struggles to get open. He also has to run smart routes and use his hands better to get off the line. Charone also has to run more efficiently after the catch and not look so much for contact. He runs after the catch like he is a power running back looking for contact between the tackles to gain a few extra yards on a third down play. If he continues to run like this, injuries will keep him off the field. It might benefit Charone to add about five to ten more pounds of muscle to take the pounding at the next level. 

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 3
Charone has Roddy White type of talent to impact. He has to play smarter and run more efficient routes very much like Roddy had to learn to do in his early years. He also has to learn to stay healthy and not look so much for contact after the catch or like Roddy in his early years, he will be injured and not able to produce and learn on the field. If Charone gains some muscle and stays on the field, he will become an intricate part of the offense for the team that selects him in his first few years and after that he could become “THE” receiver for his team, but he does have some important issues to deal before that can happen because of his limits athletically. I like him and think he is a sleeper in the draft. Look for Charone on Rob’s board and if your team needs a complimentary receiver who has the potential to turn into a franchise receiver I think it would be real smart to draft him. Charone is the type of player who might be selected earlier than I have him rated and that might not be such a bad thing.

Drew Boylhart  APR.2016

A lot of players who go this deep in the draft were at one time great prospects. But due to injuries, not acclimating to football, behavior problems or some physical limits they drop. So you draft a player like this hoping you can get something out of them knowing it can be a long shot. The thing with this guy is that he had 50 catches in 2015 on a big time program that made the National Championship game. So he's a great selection in the 7th round. But not so sure that Devin Smith is a bust. He was last year but the coaching staff never lost confidence in him and Gailey went to him sometimes in important game situations. He comes from a big time program, the biggest and the best head coach in the country whose program had at least ten players drafted probably more. Remember why we drafted him. Elite speed and a guy who made his mark going deep. Maybe he can turn it around and if he can like he did in college we have a long game.☺️ Personally I wouldn't try to make him an all around Wr the way Gailey did. I would go directly to his specialty the deep ball. At least in year 2 and let him be a specialty receiver which he was at Ohio State. There could be a huge upset to this guy if we use him the right way.

Greatest Jets' pick of a Clemson player since Chansi Stuckey in '07, & light years above the Taj Boyd pick of '14. 

Love the VALUE at that pick and the measurables he offers. Similar to a previous 2nd rounder: Ryan Yarborough from Wyoming in '94. 

Here's to hopefully this pick having us sing My Oh MY Charone!!!! during the season. 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

not trying to take away what Quincy did, but he was mostly awful. He's got enough gazelle in him to take those short slants and make big plays, but the guy could look more stiff and stone-hand if he tried. He's not someone we can rely on. Amaro will easily leapfrog him... Enunwa's a role player

Agree

Enunwa's hustle and willingness to block are what endeared him to the coaching staff.  But his hands would make Roberto Duran proud.

13 hours ago, win4ever said:

As of now, the WR chart looks like, Decker/Marshall/Smith/Enunwa/Peake/Thompkins.   I'm guessing they carry 5, so Thompkins looks like the odd man out to me.  After that, Enunwa can rotate with Amaro, and still have Forte who can also line up out wide.  The WR group should be one of the best in the league.  

If this pick can work out it can be a great way to red shirt Devin Smith.   His body was not NFL ready, and I wonder if he has been able to get it completely there while rehabbing his injury.  Even with his injury, it was questionable if he was going to be ready for training camp.   Use Peake as the deep guy and let Smith spend the year on IR playing catch with Hackenberg.  

35 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Too bad the highlights were against Appalachian State and Syracuse

He also has highlights of blocking the sh*t out of Artie burns and burning him deep

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

If this pick can work out it can be a great way to red shirt Devin Smith.   His body was not NFL ready, and I wonder if he has been able to get it completely there while rehabbing his injury.  Even with his injury, it was questionable if he was going to be ready for training camp.   Use Peake as the deep guy and let Smith spend the year on IR playing catch with Hackenberg.  

Peake is more than just a deep threat, he does a bit of everything 

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

not trying to take away what Quincy did, but he was mostly awful. He's got enough gazelle in him to take those short slants and make big plays, but the guy could look more stiff and stone-hand if he tried. He's not someone we can rely on. Amaro will easily leapfrog him... Enunwa's a role player

If Amaro and Peake are indeed getting more reps than Enunwa by merit rather than injury or suspension then that can only be a good thing, I like Enunwa and clearly he still has some developing to do but having playmakers all the way down the depth chart can only be great for our QB whoever that is. For me Peake needs to beat out Thompkins, if he does and Enunwa continues to develop and mature while Devin Smith gets healthy and lives up to his draft billing then our WR Fire is in seriously good shape

6 hours ago, varjet said:

I'm not Smith is going to be fully healthy at the start of the season, but I wouldn't red shirt him for various reasons.  One, it doesn't give us an extra year so we're guaranteeing ourselves zero production at the addition of the 53rd guy on the roster.  Two, Fitz is not the type of QB that he needs, because he's awful at long passes.  It's not that Fitz can't throw it 40 yards down the field, it's that he can't do it with the needed trajectory and speed combination.   Three, him being on offense opens up a lot of inside routes for Marshall/Decker and made their life easier.  I would want him in there, and try to develop Peake without throwing him to the fire.  I think he can learn route running from Decker and high pointing from Marshall, the two areas that he's weak at right now.  

I'm with Paradis.  First thing I heard about this guy is that he seemed similar to Enunwa.  I don't know if he will be passing Enunwa on the depth chart, but the scouting report sounded like it was for Enunwa.  It will be interesting to see if Amaro is able to get any run.  They really didn't seem to like him.

Archived