Bart Scott on Boomer and Carton this morning

BowlesMovement

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Ultimately, who cares ... they both contributed to the past decade of futility. What benefit is there to splitting hairs over who failed harder. They both ate a dick.

The Jets are so overdue to hit on a QB and a first-time HC. Law of averages and sh*t.

Rex made more title games in Jets history than any other coach so he gave us more chances at Sbs than anyone.  I wouldn't call that futility.  No he didn't get us over that hump and to a SB but we can still appreciate the opportunities we had.

Futility was 1987-1996

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Baltimore passed on him because he's a terrible coach, but that's just me.

he did a better job in his early years w/. the jets than Harbaugh(who I think is a top 3 coach in this league) did w/ Baltimore.  The difference is ozzie.  they would have won just the same w/ Rex in baltimore.

Just now, nyjunc said:

he did a better job in his early years w/. the jets than Harbaugh(who I think is a top 3 coach in this league) did w/ Baltimore.  The difference is ozzie.  they would have won just the same w/ Rex in baltimore.

Come on now

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Rex made more title games in Jets history than any other coach so he gave us more chances at Sbs than anyone.  I wouldn't call that futility.  No he didn't get us over that hump and to a SB but we can still appreciate the opportunities we had.

Futility was 1987-1996

So don't call it futility.

Me, I'm going to call it what I want. In fact, I think I'm going to call it chip-choppeddy-doop-doppitty instead of futility.

6 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Did Mangini have Steve Young and Jerry Rice?

Did Pete Carroll have Brady?? But he never had a losing season with the Pats like 5-11 BB did in 2000.. And my point was HC's with winning records get fired also answering your the Great Mangini getting fired after going 9-7.. I grant you Rex rubs many fans the wrong way running his mouth much like you do but I still like both of you..B)

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Hmm Maybe that's why the Giants let Vince Lombardi go to Green bay.. He didn't know Defence..LOL

But did t he Giants pass him over for an available vacancy, or did he leave before that.  Landry left too.  Me, I would not hire a guy whose team interviewed him for an available vacancy and passed on him.  who knows him better?

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Anyone listen to the interview? It was interesting, most of it was around Meyers, but there was an interesting tidbit about Rex from Bart. He said that when he was the DC in Baltimore, he always knew the defensive players contracts and bonus incentives, and he would always do everything he could to get the player that bonus. He mentioned calling all out blitzes all games for guys, switching positions, etc.

Have to assume this really pissed off Baltimore, and was a big reason he was passed over for HC there. Just found it interesting, and also explains a lot why players love him, other than him acting more like a fraternity brother than a HC.

Without looking, I'm going to guess this actually draws animosity. The modern sports fan reminds me so much of Reek from Game of Thrones in that sense. This is the most I've ever admired Ryan.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Without looking, I'm going to guess this actually draws animosity. The modern sports fan reminds me so much of Reek from Game of Thrones in that sense. This is the most I've ever admired Ryan.

Well, I don't watch Game of Thrones, but to me this has absolutely nothing to do with the money, and everything to do with motivations. As a DC, his motivation for every play he calls should be winning the game, not players incentive bonuses. It would be like a CEO of a publicly traded company not worrying about the overall performance of his company, as long as his buddies get fat checks.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Rex and Tanny was just a bad combination.  Maybe, just maybe with the right type of Front Office and a clear structure Rex could be more successful but him and Tanny were just too much alike and there was no adult in the room to ever say no.  They both were more interested in headlines and being too well liked to be leaders.  That's why Rex excelled as a D-Coordinator but has been just an average head coach he had a head coach in Baltimore who was looking at the big picture of what's best for the team instead of what's best for Rex's ego.  

I agree with this.  Rex has the best OC he has ever had right now, will be interesting to see the progression of that team from year to year.  For the record though, I wanted Rex out and still am happy he is gone.

1 hour ago, drsamuel84 said:

Rex and Tanny was just a bad combination.  Maybe, just maybe with the right type of Front Office and a clear structure Rex could be more successful but him and Tanny were just too much alike and there was no adult in the room to ever say no.  They both were more interested in headlines and being too well liked to be leaders.  That's why Rex excelled as a D-Coordinator but has been just an average head coach he had a head coach in Baltimore who was looking at the big picture of what's best for the team instead of what's best for Rex's ego.  

Rex excelled as a DC because he had all world talent on that D, it was a great D before and after Rex. Rex has never done more with less as a Defensive coach, which to me is the sign of a good coordinator. When he has ok talent, he is OK, when he has bad talent, he is bad, when he has good talent, he is good, except this past year where he took the 4th ranked defense and made it look like what my dog squatted out this am.

13 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Well, I don't watch Game of Thrones, but to me this has absolutely nothing to do with the money, and everything to do with motivations. As a DC, his motivation for every play he calls should be winning the game, not players incentive bonuses. It would be like a CEO of a publicly traded company not worrying about the overall performance of his company, as long as his buddies get fat checks.

IIRC, the Ravens were a pretty good team those years - largely on the backs of their defenders. There are plenty of CEOs like this, except it affects way more lives negatively.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think Baltimore passed on him because he's a terrible coach, but that's just me.

He showed up to the interview looking and acting like a slob because he thought the job was his. Set Bisciotti off big time and he was already on the fence about Rex prior to that. Was living in Baltimore at the time and I remember it quite well. The next year he went out and got his teeth whitened, got a stylist...etc. 

I don't know but to me this speaks first as a reflection of a lousy team owner, making bad decision after bad decision, choosing the wrong "type" of man for the job. First it was Parcells, who quits on him leaving him Belichick who also quits on him and then they decide, "well let's go for Al Groh" who is first and then after seeing who they were going to recommend (Maurice Carthon) the league office sez we need more AA head coaches, The Rooney Rule so take Herman Edwards instead since you already missed out on Marvin Lewis. So yea, it's Herm, Mister "we'll at least try to get Curtis his 1000 yards" which ends up shortening his career as 11 guys were focused on him every play and he was getting absolutely killed out there. Then Woody decides to listen to Tannenbaum and take another never before HC guy and after he loses to Chad and the Dolphins is so pissed off that he has Mike fire the guy at 3 in the morning giving us another never before guy who set the franchise back 3 years before he is fired and so who do we get? Yep you guessed it, another never before HC guy. It's really too bad that this fan base is stuck with the biggest idiot in the NFL who just so happens to be the team that we loves' owner.  

Just now, SenorGato said:

IIRC, the Ravens were a pretty good team those years - largely on the backs of their defenders. What about the motivations of the people so pissed he was doing it that they wouldn't even take him seriously for a promotion?

There are plenty of CEOs like this. The country as it is today is pretty much built on those guys.

Any CEO whose motivations are more about giving his buddies fat checks above the companies performance will be ousted by the board of directors.

17 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Hard to make more SB's when the Pats are cheating their way into the SB almost yearly.

or they missed a chip shot FG late in the '11 title game.  That was the only SB NE made during the '08-'11 stretch and Bal beat Ne in their only other playoff meeting.  it was more Pitt than NE as they lost to Pitt in '08 and '09 in winnable games.

1 minute ago, BowlesMovement said:

Any CEO whose motivations are more about giving his buddies fat checks above the companies performance will be ousted by the board of directors.

Again - the Ravens weren't exactly sh*tting the bed because of their defense in those years.

Did Pete Carroll have Brady?? But he never had a losing season with the Pats like 5-11 BB did in 2000.. And my point was HC's with winning records get fired also answering your the Great Mangini getting fired after going 9-7.. I grant you Rex rubs many fans the wrong way running his mouth much like you do but I still like both of you..B)

I do not "run my mouth".

I provide valuable, objective analysis to the message board.

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I don't know but to me this speaks first as a reflection of a lousy team owner, making bad decision after bad decision, choosing the wrong "type" of man for the job. First it was Parcells, who quits on him leaving him Belichick who also quits on him and then they decide, "well let's go for Al Groh" who is first and then after seeing who they were going to recommend (Maurice Carthon) the league office sez we need more AA head coaches, The Rooney Rule so take Herman Edwards instead since you already missed out on Marvin Lewis. So yea, it's Herm, Mister "we'll at least try to get Curtis his 1000 yards" which ends up shortening his career as 11 guys were focused on him every play and he was getting absolutely killed out there. Then Woody decides to listen to Tannenbaum and take another never before HC guy and after he loses to Chad and the Dolphins is so pissed off that he has Mike fire the guy at 3 in the morning giving us another never before guy who set the franchise back 3 years before he is fired and so who do we get? Yep you guessed it, another never before HC guy. It's really too bad that this fan base is stuck with the biggest idiot in the NFL who just so happens to be the team that we loves' owner.  

Belichick said he left because of the uncertainty left when Hess died...so Woody was obviously not there for Parcells, or Little Bill. 

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Again - the Ravens weren't exactly sh*tting the bed because of their defense in those years.

Never said they were, but if I were an owner, or the HC, I would be furious. Those bonuses are contractual, and those are meant to be earned the right way. Rex trying to shortcut those bonuses is total BS, just like Strahans sack record

14 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Never said they were, but if I were an owner, or the HC, I would be furious. Those bonuses are contractual, and those are meant to be earned the right way. Rex trying to shortcut those bonuses is total BS, just like Strahans sack record

I'd say that the issue is that fans do think they're the owners in their heads. The owner can get mad all he wants, they inevitably win in the end anyway and a word gets everyone fired. I'm going after the fans and their misdirected support for the owners, whether those fans choose to recognize or even realize it or not.

"The right way" is meant to establish some moralistic and ethical superiority, but it's just an empty phrase that doesn't actually mean anything or have a clear path. The HCs probably didn't care either - that defense kept them employed and they see the many not-right-ways ownership deals with the coaches and players.

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I'd say that the issue is that fans do think they're the owners in their heads. The owner can get mad all he wants, they inevitably win in the end anyway and a word gets everyone fired. I'm going after the fans and their misdirected support for the owners, whether those fans choose to recognize it or not.

"The right way" is meant to establish some moralistic and ethical superiority, but it's just an empty phrase that doesn't actually mean anything or have a clear path. The HCs probably didn't care either since that defense kept most of those guys employed.

I don't know any fan that thinks they are an owner.... There is a salary cap, and those bonuses count against the cap. If they are achieved the way they are intended, fine, but when not, you are wasting cap dollars because YOU want your buddy to get paid, not you want what is best for the team or the fans. Its a selfish crappy move, that is about Rex being an insecure twit who desperately wants approval from anyone he can get, anyway he can get it.

As for moralistic and ethical superiority, I believe your entitled to what you earn, and nothing more. I don't want handouts from anyone, and Rex was giving out handouts. If you want handouts, good for you, I don't.

56 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Isn't this exactly how publicly traded companies work?  You work for the BOD/Stock Holders and all they care about is their quarterly checks, they don't care or want to hear about taking a few losses for a quarter or 2 in order to position the company in a better situation in the long run?   I can give you a perfect example.  Dell Inc.  They bought themselves out so they didn't have to answer and placate stockholder/BOD anymore because tech business can't be run quarter to quarter.

EDIT: Clarifying which stock holders = board of directors.

35 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

I don't know any fan that thinks they are an owner.... There is a salary cap, and those bonuses count against the cap. If they are achieved the way they are intended, fine, but when not, you are wasting cap dollars because YOU want your buddy to get paid, not you want what is best for the team or the fans. Its a selfish crappy move, that is about Rex being an insecure twit who desperately wants approval from anyone he can get, anyway he can get it.

As for moralistic and ethical superiority, I believe your entitled to what you earn, and nothing more. I don't want handouts from anyone, and Rex was giving out handouts. If you want handouts, good for you, I don't.

A cheap copout....Fans delude themselves that their interests and ownership interests are one and the same - we're seeing it all over your posts right now, probably this thread, and in any discussion ever about player compensation and contracts. There's even a whole dweebish world dedicated to it with fantasy sports where broke dudes play GM and owner.

Once again - those defenses were the only reason the Ravens were relevant at all before Flacco - won them a Super Bowl even. Your narrative that this was somehow crushing their team and franchise really doesn't play out in the whole reality thing. Those guys still had to execute to get the bonuses - they're earned.

Just now, JETSfaninNE said:

Isn't this exactly how publicly traded companies work?  You work for the stock holders and all they care about is their quarterly checks, they don't care or want to hear about taking a few losses for a quarter or 2 in order to position the company in a better situation in the long run?   I can give you a perfect example.  Dell Inc.  They bought themselves out so they didn't have to answer and placate stockholder anymore because tech business can't be run quarter to quarter.

That is a terrible example, and no, that is not at all how publicly traded companies work. 

7 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Wow your view and perspective of this is so far away from mine.  Handouts would be giving them the bonuses without them earning it.  Putting players in a position to actual achieve their bonuses, I can't consider that a handout.  But to each their own and I'm happy I don't work for you!! :D

Archived