Jets not interested in one-year, $12 million for Fitzpatrick

courtnj18

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

They obviously want him to start this year. That makes him the starter

Based on the offer, I don't know that it is obvious.  I'd say it's obvious they want him to at least compete for the job this year though.  But at 8mil per on average for 3 seasons, it's not quite as bad if he ends up not starting and just being the vet backup through what could be a challenging three years of getting one of Geno/Hack/Petty to be a true starter.

@12mil for one year, you're basically handing him the starting gig for one year and left with having to decide whether to re-sign either him or Geno again next season.  No benefit to the Jets at all.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, courtnj18 said:

Mike Florio Posted this article this morning on NBC Sports:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/02/jets-not-interested-in-one-year-12-million-for-fitzpatrick/

One year is ridiculous - I say the 3-year deal is the best offer (if that's even legit now).

SHOCKING!!

A 5 year old could've made that conclusion. If Fitz is willing to take 12mil for 2016 n he's still not signed yet, its obviously because the Jets don't agree to it. Don't need a douchebag reporter saying it. 

38 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Ha, wish I could say I thought of it out of no where.  But sadly, it's a true story.

It also wins in the "how low can they go" category for comparing the Jets offer to Fitz as being like banging a fat broad who looks like Rex and who even you would turn down. Good job :unsure:.

23 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Based on the offer, I don't know that it is obvious.  I'd say it's obvious they want him to at least compete for the job this year though.  But at 8mil per on average for 3 seasons, it's not quite as bad if he ends up not starting and just being the vet backup through what could be a challenging three years of getting one of Geno/Hack/Petty to be a true starter.

@12mil for one year, you're basically handing him the starting gig for one year and left with having to decide whether to re-sign either him or Geno again next season.  No benefit to the Jets at all.

If he's on the team he's not competing for the starting job because there is nobody to compete with. Bowles doesn't want Geno and he showed that last year big time. The guy had a broken wrist and he still played. Something you guys give him no credit for at all. That was the perfect time to switch Qbs and Bowles preferred a Qb with a broken wrist over Geno Smith. And that also includes Gailey. Now what's your excuse for that one. Geno didn't get a fair break? 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It also wins in the "how low can they go" category for comparing the Jets offer to Fitz as being like banging a fat broad who looks like Rex and who even you would turn down. Good job :unsure:.

lol, she looked like Rob!  At least he has long hair.  Two cute chicks or not, a Rex lookalike woulda been a deal-breaker.

Just now, Mike135 said:

lol, she looked like Rob!  At least he has long hair.  Two cute chicks or not, a Rex lookalike woulda been a deal-breaker.

Going back many years I remember getting stuck with the fat one too. But not as bad as Rob Ryan. Was she into foot fetishes?

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If he's on the team he's not competing for the starting job because there is nobody to compete with. Bowles doesn't want Geno and he showed that last year big time. The guy had a broken wrist and he still played. Something you guys give him no credit for at all. That was the perfect time to switch Qbs and Bowles preferred a Qb with a broken wrist over Geno Smith. And that also includes Gailey. Now what's your excuse for that one. Geno didn't get a fair break? 

The writing is on the wall man.  Get in your pro-Fitz arguments as quickly as possible.  This will all be over soon.  :D

Don't the jets realize if they go with Geno, he too is playing on his last yr.. Maybe he has a pretty decent yr.. He is free to go if he chooses.. After what the idiots down in Houston gave Brock after half a decent season who knows what geno could get with a decent full year.. The jets won't want to sign him long term after drafting their " franchise " qb.. Geno will bolt, and we are left in same position anyway if Fitzpatrick plays one and done..  

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Sure and welcome back to 4-12. You might get your wish. 

Any non-Fitz outcome is better than any realistic Fitz outcome (over 5 mil).  Short of the playoffs of course, but I did say "realistic".

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Don't the jets realize if they go with Geno, he too is playing on his last yr.. Maybe he has a pretty decent yr.. He is free to go if he chooses.. After what the idiots down in Houston gave Brock after half a decent season who knows what geno could get with a decent full year.. The jets won't want to sign him long term after drafting their " franchise " qb.. Geno will bolt, and we are left in same position anyway if Fitzpatrick plays one and done..  

No really.  We'd have saved 12mil.  Plus we can always re-sign Geno for cheaper if Hack isn't progressing well and keep him here long-term.  I know that's what we all really want.

47 minutes ago, cant wait said:

That's fine but it still doesn't mean they don't think he's a below average starting QB

He wasn't below average last year and his stats prove that. If you want to talk about ten years ago or one bad game be my guest. He was easily a top 15 Qb in 2015. I'm talking for that one year not a career. It could be like Bowles said he finally found the right place. And Todd isn't involved in these poorly managed negotiations. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

He wasn't below average last year and his stats prove that. If you want to talk about ten years ago or one bad game be my guest. He was easily a top 15 Qb in 2015. I'm talking for that one year not a career. It could be like Bowles said he finally found the right place. And Todd isn't involved in these poorly managed negotiations. 

I don't know how you say "poorly managed negotiations".  Just because you disagree with his view, ya can't say they're not managed correctly.

Macc is kickin' some @ss.  He has his numbers and he's sticking to 'em.  Only making things public as a last resort before what I believe will be the eventual door shutting on Fitz.

It's refreshing to have a GM who judged the market perfectly and won't budge.

The problem that nobody is talking about is why the Jets want the three year deal versus One.  They can structure a 3 year deal to take a lot less of a cap hit. They can divvy up a signing bonus and roster bonus etc. so the cap hit this year will be minimal. They can still give him the 12 Million in year one but extend the cap hit over three years... its not that hard... Then after this year we cut him and it accelerates the money (that they already paid him) to next year when we have a ton of cap room...

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I don't know how you say "poorly managed negotiations".  Just because you disagree with his view, ya can't say they're not managed correctly.

Macc is kickin' some @ss.  He has his numbers and he's sticking to 'em.  Only making things public as a last resort before what I believe will be the eventual door shutting on Fitz.

It's refreshing to have a GM who judged the market perfectly and won't budge.

You don't kick ass with your starting Qb. Nobody in the NFL plays that game. You want a good relationship with him. He's your leader on the field. This doesn't mean you give the guy an insane contract. A one year deal at starters money isn't insane it's fair. 

Terrible on all fronts for the team: 

• We'd have to eat all the cap hit this year.
  • We'd have to overpay for a starter who is average at best.
  • If Fitz underperforms this year then we massively overpaid.
  • If Fitz performs well--especially if we hit the playoffs--then we're in the same situation but we'll have to pay more than $12MM for subsequent years because then he will have a pattern of success here. 

If Fitz is going to get a contract it will have to be one dirt cheap year or several years at a reasonable salary in light of his age and performance.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

The problem that nobody is talking about is why the Jets want the three year deal versus One.  They can structure a 3 year deal to take a lot less of a cap hit they can divvy up a signing bonus and roster bonus etc. so the cap hit this year will be minimal. They can still give him the 12 Million in year one but extend the cap hit over three years... its not that hard... Then after this year we cut him and it accelerates the money (that they already paid him) to next year when we have a ton of cap room...

Right.  Though it definitely has been mentioned.  However even as much as I don't want Fitz starting this year, if he does, I definitely want him here as a backup beyond this year.

if Fitz signs a substantial deal now, Geno is basically gone.  That means we're looking at Hack or Petty in 2017.  We'd NEED a great vet backup then.

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Top 15 according to what? Volume passing stats don't reflect individual performance

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

You don't kick ass with your starting Qb. Nobody in the NFL plays that game. You want a good relationship with him. He's your leader on the field. This doesn't mean you give the guy an insane contract. A one year deal at starters money isn't insane it's fair. 

Agreed.  But Macc doesn't seem to really consider Fitz our "starting" QB.  Could he start?  Sure.  But he's not our/a "starter".

Just now, Mike135 said:

Right.  Though it definitely has been mentioned.  However even as much as I don't want Fitz starting this year, if he does, I definitely want him here as a backup beyond this year.

if Fitz signs a substantial deal now, Geno is basically gone.  That means we're looking at Hack or Petty in 2017.  We'd NEED a great vet backup then.

Fitz will retire before he becomes a back-up and we don't need him.  Petty will be cut and placed on practice squad.... No other team will sign a project like him and if they do they go and sign a back-up in the offseason. Fitz isn't going to be here beyond this year.

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

Fitz will retire before he becomes a back-up and we don't need him.  Petty will be cut and placed on practice squad.... No other team will sign a project like him and if they do they go and sign a back-up in the offseason. Fitz isn't going to be here beyond this year.

If he wants over 8 or 9 mil this year, he will be here beyond 2016 (or be forced to retire as you mentioned).

Thankfully though it's really looking like he may be gone for good now.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Agreed.  But Macc doesn't seem to really consider Fitz our "starting" QB.  Could he start?  Sure.  But he's not our/a "starter".

Then don't start him even in 2016. If he feels that way don't sign him. 

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Brady makes 14 mil. 

This kind of thinking went wild in the 80s which is why they needed a salary cap in the first place. teams rewarded players all the time. 

Nowadays you cannot run a team that way. It's all about value. You can't even keep any depth anymore. You overpay when you have to. You certainly do not pay more than you have to or everyone will want a raise. This is not Jerry Maguire. 

Lets face it the Jets offer is basically a one year deal that would tie him to the team for an additional two years at under market value, unless Hackenberg or Petty take the reins as the starting QB which is exactly the scenario Mac envisions. The problem is, if Hack or Petty do not come through then they would have to renegotiate with Fitz on another two or three year deal. With Mo's status still up in the air, and Sheldon Richardson's situation coming up in another year or so, Mac is just looking at the future and trying to keep as many good players as he can while trying to develop a franchise QB. A very unenviable position to say the least.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Brady makes 14 mil. 

This kind of thinking went wild in the 80s which is why they needed a salary cap in the first place. teams rewarded players all the time. 

Nowadays you cannot run a team that way. It's all about value. You can't even keep any depth anymore. You overpay when you have to. You certainly do not pay more than you have to or everyone will want a raise. This is not Jerry Maguire. 

I think Brady is making a lot more than 14. And guys like Flacco and Brees are getting 20 plus. Average starter money is about 16 and we're about guys like Dalton. These are multi-year deals that sometimes exceed 100 mil. So one year for 12 doesn't commit you to a player or kill your cap. I mean Mo doesn't want the franchise tag and won't sign it and it's 16 mil. He wants more years and guaranteed money because in the NFL you can get cut and then you get nothing. Plus if you get injured you get nothing after that one year. With the multi year deal you get the value of the entire contract. So Fitz is giving up a lot and taking a chance by taking a one year contract. I think the Jets owe him more consideration because he got lower backup money last year and started every game. By the way the cap has gone up every year and that's to better compensate the players via higher salaries. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think Brady is making a lot more than 14. And guys like Flacco and Brees are getting 20 plus. Average starter money is about 16 and we're about guys like Dalton. These are multi-year deals that sometimes exceed 100 mil. So one year for 12 doesn't commit you to a player or kill your cap. I mean Mo doesn't want the franchise tag and won't sign it and it's 16 mil. He wants more years and guaranteed money because in the NFL you can get cut and then you get nothing. Plus if you get injured you get nothing after that one year. With the multi year deal you get the value of the entire contract. So Fitz is giving up a lot and taking a chance by taking a one year contract. I think the Jets owe him more consideration begcause he got lower backup money last year and started every game. By the way the cap has gone up every year and that's to better compensate the players via higher salaries. 

The only thing Fitz would be "giving up" is retirement.

He.  Has.  No.  Other.  Options.

Teams.  Do.  Not.  Want.  Him.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Absolutely right.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

He was brought in to be the backup to Geno a year ago and stayed to collect his 3.5mil., no one talked retirement.

now a year later he's going to retire?

3 hours ago, Larz said:

That's why the 1 year deal makes sense. He's not going to start then lock in for backup.money

It makes sense for him, but not for the Jets.  In today's NFL with the rolling cap, the amount on the books in a single year means very little, with the only exception of how much could possibly be saved if he doesn't play out the contract.  The Jets were offering him a more front-loaded deal to make him feel better about it, but in the end they ultimately valued him at $8M / year.  Fitz may want more than that, and given that he's a FA that's well within his rights, but it's not based in reality to pretend that he's making some sort of great concession by saying that he's willing to take a one-year deal for 50% more than their current yearly average offer.  If he said he'd sign for 1 year at $8M, I have a funny feeling you'd see a very different response from the Jets.

Archived