What young Jets players will make a huge impact this season?

Villain The Foe

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He'll probably start out as #4 and will get a chance to get some actual playing time, but Burris probably overtakes him in that role at some point. It didn't seem like he really caught the coaching staff's eye last season.

Sorta like roadkill,  easy to look past the broken body laying on the groundlaying on the ground

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

Williams and possibly d. smith if we get a QB who has enough arm strength to hit him downfield. dark horse Freddie bishop at OLB

Smith and smith. We know Devon would have to run back ten yards to catch a deep ball from fitz.. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is a big statement and it would be good I think if it happened, but I don't see it. He is so far away from the # 2 spot right now and would have to pass Skrine and Williams.

I think Milliner staying healthy through camp and starting off slow this season, then staying healthy all year would be the upside. He has the talent. He has to stay on the field.

Skrine is better suited in the slot. He'll get burned several times on the outside a game. Millimer actually can take over the 105 ranked Cromartie. My grandma can n she's been dead for decades. 

Without getting into any comparisons, if Geno starts, I honestly think he will surprise many people and have a really good season. He has too many options around him to fail. Hopefully Chan can use the dual threat very wisely. His style suits Geno perfectly. If Devin can show some consistency, Geno can actually have a huge season with a huge paycheck waiting for him as a FA. 

And please, no comparison talk or QB hating here for a change. He's a Jet n deserves as much support as any other Jet, be it the guy that gets cut first, or Revis. 

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

Williams and possibly d. smith if we get a QB who has enough arm strength to hit him downfield. dark horse Freddie bishop at OLB

I hope you're right about Smith. He hasnt been sounding too positive regarding that ACL. He has no clue when he'll be back. I really hope he'll be back by training camp. The kid had a rough rookie season. 

9 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

2008 was 8 years ago.   8 years of taking hits will tend to slow most people down.

Agreed, but forte breaks plenty of runs for big gains. Powell looked surprisingly faster last yearand, yes, he's probably faster than Forte, but Forte ain't gonna look slow when he's pushing 1500 all-purpose yards.

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Skrine is better suited in the slot. He'll get burned several times on the outside a game. Millimer actually can take over the 105 ranked Cromartie. My grandma can n she's been dead for decades. 

Milliner could have usurped Cro last season when Cro was dealing with injuries. The staff chose to play Williams and Walls, two undrafted free agents. Milliner may see time in the dime, but even then it's more likely McDougle gets a look as he's on the team beyond this season. I also like the measurables of Burris. He could be a solid role player this season. 

Basically, Milliner has to hope for himself to stay healthy and everyone else not to. 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno, the organization has been touting the potential of Qvale for some time now. The fact that they've switched him around twice and he's starting the year off 3rd at both RG and RT when both those positions are ripe for the taking doesn't say much. I actually don't hate Winters as much as I used to, but it's not going to make any sense to pay him and they sure as hell don't want to keep paying Breno. It just seems like we've been waiting for both Qvale and Dozier to step up for a little while now and they haven't.

This is a fair point about Qvale.  It's time for him to step up if he's for real.  I've read a lot of positive things about him, but he doesn't see the field much.  So far.  Maybe that changes this season.

In general people and me included want to be right in their predictions.  But not where the bad is predicted.  So I want to be wrong about Marcus Williams, but I just don't see the love here for him.  If someone cares to plead his case I would be interested to see that attempted.  As a heads up I think you have to go beyond just the interceptions last year, not that they were insignificant.  I just saw them all coming with him playing back in zone.

You can't start at cb in this D playing back in zone all the time.

17 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Mauldin is going to breakout.  

Miliner is going to start the season as the number 2.  If he stays healthy, I know big if, he will have a good year. 

I think mauldin will improve also, but I don't think he gets the starts. I think riley and Jenkins start in the base defense., unless Jenkins cant handle it, then mauldin will start

I can see milliner getting the start also. lets see if he can go a season without breaking anything

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

That is a big statement and it would be good I think if it happened, but I don't see it. He is so far away from the # 2 spot right now and would have to pass Skrine and Williams.

I think Milliner staying healthy through camp and starting off slow this season, then staying healthy all year would be the upside. He has the talent. He has to stay on the field.

Bowles did kind of lump Milliner in with the afterthought also-rans like McDougle. Milliner is supposed to have more talent than any of the non-Revis corners on the team, so I suppose he could win the job if he can stay healthy. But part of what all those injuries robbed him of was on-field experience for the past 2 seasons. That's going to be tough to just turn on suddenly, and sustain it every game all season long. So it could happen - and technically it should happen - if he could say healthy, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Barring a surprise, as of now it's a 2-horse race for starting opposite Revis, with the next-closest still being a distant 3rd so far.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Bowles did kind of lump Milliner in with the afterthought also-rans like McDougle. Milliner is supposed to have more talent than any of the non-Revis corners on the team, so I suppose he could win the job if he can stay healthy. But part of what all those injuries robbed him of was on-field experience for the past 2 seasons. That's going to be tough to just turn on suddenly, and sustain it every game all season long. So it could happen - and technically it should happen - if he could say healthy, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

Barring a surprise, as of now it's a 2-horse race for starting opposite Revis, with the next-closest still being a distant 3rd so far.

If I had to guess, whether we like it or not, Skrine probably has the #2 job nearly locked down.  However, all that really means is he'll be the guy most likely to line up across from Revis when in the base D, which continues to become a less common occurrence.  I think the real question will be more of a matter of which player takes that outside spot when Skrine slides inside in nickel packages.  As of now, Williams certainly seems to be the leading candidate for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they let everyone have a potential crack at that spot, considering neither Bowles nor Maccagnan seem to have any real strong commitment to any of the other options at the position (with the possible exception of Burris in the future).

Leonard Williams will. He's going to steadily get better. He's barely 21 years old so he's still growing into his new job.

NOBODY will make an impact from this years draft. This draft sucked and I doubt you'll see anyone starting on a regular basis. This team is headed for a truly bad season.

12 hours ago, j4jets said:

They are saying that Skrine is starting next to Revis. Which would mean when there were two CBs on the field he would most likely be on the outside.

That said this is the NFL in 2016 so there are almost never two CBs on the field.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Milliner could have usurped Cro last season when Cro was dealing with injuries. The staff chose to play Williams and Walls, two undrafted free agents. Milliner may see time in the dime, but even then it's more likely McDougle gets a look as he's on the team beyond this season. I also like the measurables of Burris. He could be a solid role player this season. 

Basically, Milliner has to hope for himself to stay healthy and everyone else not to. 

One can always hope. I still think he'll salvage his career. 

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

If I had to guess, whether we like it or not, Skrine probably has the #2 job nearly locked down.  However, all that really means is he'll be the guy most likely to line up across from Revis when in the base D, which continues to become a less common occurrence.  I think the real question will be more of a matter of which player takes that outside spot when Skrine slides inside in nickel packages.  As of now, Williams certainly seems to be the leading candidate for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they let everyone have a potential crack at that spot, considering neither Bowles nor Maccagnan seem to have any real strong commitment to any of the other options at the position (with the possible exception of Burris in the future).

This is certainly where they're at so far. 

20 hours ago, peebag said:

Amaro - a big receiver with good hands.  He'll open up the receiving game for every other WR/TE.

If he shuts up focuses on football he can be big for us next season.  He presents a lot of matchup problems

Archived