Our Young QB's Will Make Preseason Games Fun

roscoeword

Preseason is often dull, largely because most guys playing don't make the roster, except for those playing the first set of downs. The qb's are filler material, cannon fodder to extend the game after the "real" qb's play a set of downs. But this time, each qb getting run in these games will be our potential franchise qb! Utterly fascinating. Petty and Hack will be playing a lot, and they aren't just guys on the roster about to get cut. Can't wait!

Come on guys I do not want my preseason games to be exciting, I want my December games to be exciting. I long for the days were we have a franchise qb and preseason is just to watch the newest skill positions adjust to the nfl, not trying to find hope in meaningless preseason games.

1 minute ago, jdeacon said:

Come on guys I do not want my preseason games to be exciting, I want my December games to be exciting. I long for the days were we have a franchise qb and preseason is just to watch the newest skill positions adjust to the nfl, not trying to find hope in meaningless preseason games.

This. I couldn't give a **** less about preseason. 

Although Hack will be playing WITH third stringers, against third stringers, it will be really interesting to watch how he plays.

You already know he's going to try and read the defense and audible and take control from the get go. I want to see if he can make the players around him better by putting them in the best position to make plays. I want to see how he responds to pressure, how he handles the 2 min drill, his footwork, his accuracy (or lack there of), etc. 

I'm excited for pre-season games mainly because of Hack. Its very possible pre-season will be the only football we will see him play until next year. 

I actually don't think we will see much new from Petty. I expect him to be the #2 QB (barring a Fitz return) but I just think  the Jets will keep him mostly in shotgun and you will see a lot of the same from Petty that you saw last year- still learning, still overthrowing, etc. I dunno, I just feel like we would have heard more from Jets brass had this kid made major leaps. Instead, they drafted another QB and most of the focus has been on Geno's progression and Hack's potential. Jets might be on the verge of giving up on Petty. For now, with only 3 QBs on the roster, they don't need to make that decision.    

18 hours ago, jdeacon said:

debbie-downer.png

God forbid someone bring up something that excites them about Jets football...on a Jets fan discussion board.

I too am excited to see Petty and Hack in the preseason. I would love for Hack to have this season to retool his fundamentals and get back to playing like the top-rated prospect he was coming out of HS and after his Freshman year - so I'm not necessarily hoping he wins any starting jobs, but I'm excited to see him play nonetheless.  

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I foresee many massive overreactions one way or the other.  Either Petty/Hack will be:

A.  The worst QB's ever.

B.  Have big days throwing against future UPS drivers and will be the 2nd coming of Namath. 

And nothing in between.

Either Pryor or the Rat? 

32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

God forbid someone bring up something that excites them about Jets football...on a Jets fan discussion board.

I too am excited to see Petty and Hack in the preseason. I would love for Hack to have this season to retool his fundamentals and get back to playing like the top-rated prospect he was coming out of HS and after his Freshman year - so I'm not necessarily hoping he wins any starting jobs, but I'm excited to see him play nonetheless.  

I will tell you this about Hack. And this is just something that is a gut feeling. He will play much better once on the field going up against a defense in an actual game. I feel like he is the type of QB that plays better in games than in practice. And he will get MUCH better protection than he did at Penn State. I know the defenders are faster, stronger, more athletic, etc. in the NFL. But he STILL will have more time to go through progressions and make his throws than he did at Penn State.

Fans will criticize his overthrows and lack of consistency in practice (fairly so), but I think once he gets on the field and settles in a bit, he will flat out make plays.    

Archived