" Bryce Petty's days with Jets could be numbered " ~ ~ ~

kelly

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I really don't understand the venom  being shot Petty's way by some fans.  He hasn't done anything yet to deserve it.

Jets must like him, they traded up in the 4th round to get him.  They went into the season last year with him as the back up for 2 games.  He seems to be a very likable hard working kid.  He has great natural tools.

He came into OTA's this year looking lost.  It didn't get much better going into camp.  About 10 days in he had a horrible day 0-8.  He faced the media asking him questions like, "Do you think you'll be cut?" 

He said he was pushing to hard trying to change to much, and to be perfect.  He came out with his Favre quote, that he was just going to relax, and throw the ball up field.

Since then it seems like a light has gone on.  He has had some excellent practices.  So good to the point that Bowles has given him some of smith's 2nd team reps.  He played pretty well in a game that he had the likes of Craig Watts, Kyle Friend, Mike Liedtke, and Jesse Davis blocking for him.  They did poorly, and he still had decent stats.  His stats weren't the story of his game.  It was his strong upfield arm, and the fact that he maintained composure during heavy pressure.

He's not getting second team reps because smith is sucking it up, he's not.  smith isn't playing as hot as he was in OTA's and mini camp, but he's still playing adequate.

This is a good thing.  All 3 QB's are playing well in camp.  Petty is for sure pushing smith.  What's not to like?

Be happy.  Maybe, and I repeat Maybe, something very good is going on.

EDIT:  Didn't mean to quote Johnnysd here.  It just happened, and I couldn't undue it.  sorry

That's ok ... He''s got a lot of QB venom

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I look forward to seeing Petty and Hack play tonight.  I deeply hope both get time to show us (and the Org.) where they are at this point.

I hate so sound like a hopeless homer but I love both these guys and I'm like 65% certain that at least one of them will become a functional starter in time, surpassing both Mark and Geno by a pretty good margin.    

Just now, LIJetsFan said:

I hate so sound like a hopeless homer but I love both these guys and I'm like 65% certain that at least one of them will become a functional starter in time, surpassing both Mark and Geno by a pretty good margin.    

I hope you're right.  I like Petty fine, but have doubt about Hack, but my nature does not allow me the optimism you enjoy.

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hope you're right.  I like Petty fine, but have doubt about Hack, but my nature does not allow me the optimism you enjoy.

LOL

I actually like petty more then Hack, but understand your reluctance to buy into either of them.  Macc doesn't have to hit on both, just one.

PLEASE................................LET IT HAPPEN. :)

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

if Geno (a quarterback that has exhibited THE worst QB play I have ever seen) is 'clearly' better than Petty .. they should both just be released immediately.

Im sure you forgot to watch him in his last 6-7 games, but its ok. Teams generally laid down when Geno had some good games...or so it is claimed here by Fitznutz like yourself.

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Yes, based on watching the game, he was running for his life on a few plays and still had a nice touchdown pass, where the receiver was pushed out of bounds, 2 missed field goals and a couple of 3rd down drops that could have improved his stat line...

The nice touchdown pass was thrown out of bounds. Receiver was pushed, he jumped to catch the ball and would have landed outside even if there was no defender.

5 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Finding and developing capable QBs is a numbers game. You don't draft a project, watch him improve for a year, then cut him because you drafted another project who is starting from scratch. Ain't happening.

Petty may be a trade candidate, but he's not being released. For the myriad reasons I've stated.

Would be so Jetsy to develop him, boot him, have him succeed on another team. 

Agreed, for the most part, except the last line. I can't think of a QB we developed, released, and then had success elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

The nice touchdown pass was thrown out of bounds. Receiver was pushed, he jumped to catch the ball and would have landed outside even if there was no defender.

That ball was less than a foot out of bounds. That's where you're supposed to put it so only the receiver can get it.

I've seen balls caught 2 yards out of bounds caught by guys laid out with their toes on the ground. 

11 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Im sure you forgot to watch him in his last 6-7 games, but its ok. Teams generally laid down when Geno had some good games...or so it is claimed here by Fitznutz like yourself.

As much debate as there was in the off season about Fitz/smith, I really can't identify any posters as " Fitznutz".  The vast majority of posters that wanted Fitz over smith accepted Fitz's flaws and knew he will never be an elite QB.

It's just that the alternative was another wasted season, with a QB, good play, or bad play, is very very unlikely to be with the Jets next year.  

The majority of smith's play has been very bad.  His persona has been that of a spoiled 5 YO, and nothing has changed there.  Time to move on 

8 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Agreed, for the most part, except the last line. I can't think of a QB we developed, released, and then had success elsewhere.

I think its called evolution....find new and interesting ways to torture the fan base....point being still torturing the fan base

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

As much debate as there was in the off season about Fitz/smith, I really can't identify any posters as " Fitznutz".  The vast majority of posters that wanted Fitz over smith accepted Fitz's flaws and knew he will never be an elite QB.

Trust me, there were plenty, and still are. They think Fitz is Rich Gannon 2.0

It's just that the alternative was another wasted season, with a QB, good play, or bad play, is very very unlikely to be with the Jets next year.  

Alternative was saving $12mil and not skipping a beat imo. Obviously the Jets CS disagrees with me so we'll just have to wait and see.

The majority of smith's play has been very bad.  His persona has been that of a spoiled 5 YO, and nothing has changed there.  Time to move on 

Majority of Smith's play came with receivers named Holmes, Hill, Nelson, Kerley, and Salas as his starting WRs. Geno supporters look at that and then compare that with the games he's had Decker and Percy as WRs, factor in that we signed Percy middle of the season and after a few practices together, how he played with them. He was average to say the least in those games, including the last game of 2014, which gets ignored for some reason. We also factor in his growth. I still think Geno is better than Fitz. He has a lot of room for growth. Fitz doesn't. We have years and years worth of film on Fitz. He's never been a good QB, can't win games if he has to score 24 points or more, and can't win more than 6 games (save for last year). If he had a decent track record along with what he did last year, I can assure you Jets weren't going to be the only team begging for his services. As it stands, Mac signed a guy he traded for or picked up twice already in his career (Houston, NYJ).

Who plays QB next year? We will zero cap in 2017 and only Petty and Hack signed up as QB. Not going to be a pretty year next year and that's why Geno in 2016 made more sense for the long term, even if he was let go after 2016.

31 minutes ago, j4jets said:

lol, just because we haven't done it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be Jetsy for it to happen... Woodhead. This is the type of sh*t we do.

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're jets fans, pessimism reigns supreme. I, too, really doubt hacks ability to be a competent starter this year or next. Maybe 2018. 

Too early for comments like that, of course. But, as discussed, optimism is for suckers.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

lol, just because we haven't done it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be Jetsy for it to happen... Woodhead. This is the type of sh*t we do.

There's a guy I was rooting for so bad but Rex let him get away for who? The Terminator? What a joke!

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Trust me, there were plenty, and still are. They think Fitz is Rich Gannon 2.0

Alternative was saving $12mil and not skipping a beat imo. Obviously the Jets CS disagrees with me so we'll just have to wait and see.

Majority of Smith's play came with receivers named Holmes, Hill, Nelson, Kerley, and Salas as his starting WRs. Geno supporters look at that and then compare that with the games he's had Decker and Percy as WRs, factor in that we signed Percy middle of the season and after a few practices together, how he played with them. He was average to say the least in those games, including the last game of 2014, which gets ignored for some reason. We also factor in his growth. I still think Geno is better than Fitz. He has a lot of room for growth. Fitz doesn't. We have years and years worth of film on Fitz. He's never been a good QB, can't win games if he has to score 24 points or more, and can't win more than 6 games (save for last year). If he had a decent track record along with what he did last year, I can assure you Jets weren't going to be the only team begging for his services. As it stands, Mac signed a guy he traded for or picked up twice already in his career (Houston, NYJ).

Who plays QB next year? We will zero cap in 2017 and only Petty and Hack signed up as QB. Not going to be a pretty year next year and that's why Geno in 2016 made more sense for the long term, even if he was let go after 2016.

Just as with Sanchez, you can still watch the film and see what would have happened if the receivers were better. Just like Sanchez things were fine until a receiver did a poor job of recognizing coverage, or gave up a contested catch. Then he would second guess everything, be late with throws, or tighten up, and be too careful. 

Many QBs have played with bad receivers, and of course their numbers will suffer, yet you can see that they are still making the right reads, and trying to complete passes on time. Geno never seemed to try to communicate with these receivers about what was happening which was very disappointing to me.

So you can throw out the numbers, but you cannot throw out the terrible melt downs.

Geno is good to very good as long as things go smoothly, and his first read is open, but will always make unforced errors, then compound them by getting frustrated.

If he could just relax and trust his instincts he may have a career, but that gets less likely all the time. 

5 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You're thinking of Idsick. You know the guy that wouldn't draft Carr, or Bridgewater because we already drafted Geno. 

That's a really stupid way of finding a franchise QB. Just take one every 3 years and hope it works out. 

Lol it's what mac did.. izdik and Mac  seem to have this in common, just draft d and qbs and forgot about the O-line ha.

i don't know macs thinking.. But he obviously didn't think much of petty to draft hac.. At the most he still was unsure of petty to draft hackenberg.. Who all say is another project.. So clearly both are not ready to be the number 2.. So now you have 3a, and 3b.. Knowing your going to want a #2 with actual NFL experience.. I think if Fitz did walk, Mac still gets a vet qb as #2 to backup geno.. Either way it's looks like he was either thinking 4 or bye bye petty.. Which I do think is unfair.. But he was a 4th rounder.. Jets have history of wasting 4th/5th rounders who don't stick around long

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol it's what mac did.. izdik and Mac  seem to have this in common, just draft d and qbs and forgot about the O-line ha.

I'm pretty sure that it's Chan's offense that is based on getting the ball out quickly. 

If you do that then the Oline becomes less important which is why we were were fine last year, and will be again this year. Our biggest problems were blitz pickups, and a lack of checkdown receivers. We did address those issues. 

I don't see a weak spot on the line in run blocking...TE is another story, but we can't fix everything in one year. 

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

i don't know macs thinking.. But he obviously didn't think much of petty to draft hac.. At the most he still was unsure of petty to draft hackenberg.. Who all say is another project.. So clearly both are not ready to be the number 2.. So now you have 3a, and 3b.. Knowing your going to want a #2 with actual NFL experience.. I think if Fitz did walk, Mac still gets a vet qb as #2 to backup geno.. Either way it's looks like he was either thinking 4 or bye bye petty.. Which I do think is unfair.. But he was a 4th rounder.. Jets have history of wasting 4th/5th rounders who don't stick around long

Lolololol ... You missed the point of why Mac's QB drafting strategy is better than Idzik's

On 8/18/2016 at 10:25 AM, Warfish said:

If Fitz goes down for 4 games, how many does Geno win, how many does Petty win?  I don't think those numbers are too different tbqh.

Keep the guy who might have a future here.  Geno doesn't.

Geno is hated by most fans. Pryce is a mellow dude with enough progress to keep.

I don't believe that Geno is hated by the fans. Sure he's booed sometimes but so is any Qb. If he plays well in a game the fans will be in his corner. Boos can very quickly turn to cheers and visa versa. When Fitz is announced Opening day he should get a good reception even though his last game was the infamous week 17. He'll get scattered boos for that. But if he has another week 17 he's not getting cheers. 

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who the hell is Pryce? 

Considering that your username is a misspelling of our franchise hero and one of the most iconic football players ever... You are unqualified for nitpicking typos.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Considering that your username is a misspelling of our franchise hero and one of the most iconic football players ever... You are unqualified for nitpicking typos.

GFY I didnt want to be like the all the others including you with 0 integrity

Archived