Darelle Revis will be cut next year

Doggin94it

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think the nickname could definitely play a role.  But, I agree, Bailey had a better career if this arc continues.  It really comes down to how long a player needs to be great for in the voters opinions.  Is 3-4 seasons enough?

Terrell Davis is still on the fringe so we will see. The perception seems to be  that Revis has been elite at all times, which isnt the case. He came back out of shape in 2010, tore the knee in 2012...had a forgettable season in Tampa. That's like half his career there. And now he sucks. HOF is a stretch. The guy is a HOF negotiator though. He played his career perfectly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think the nickname could definitely play a role.  But, I agree, Bailey had a better career if this arc continues.  It really comes down to how long a player needs to be great for in the voters opinions.  Is 3-4 seasons enough?

Worked for Troy Aikman.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Terrell Davis is still on the fringe so we will see. The perception seems to be  that Revis has been elite at all times, which isnt the case. He came back out of shape in 2010, tore the knee in 2012...had a forgettable season in Tampa. That's like half his career there. And now he sucks. HOF is a stretch. The guy is a HOF negotiator though. He played his career perfectly.

Yup.  Revis's image certainly outperforms his production.  That could be enough though.  Personally, I'd be hard pressed to vote him in with a lot of other deserving names out there.  But, he certainly maximized his earnings in an impressive way, which, if it weren't fleecing your favorite team, would be exceptionally admirable.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Different case, I'd think.  3 Super Bowls and one SB MVP.  Revis has one SB at a point when he wasn't the player he used to be.

I'll give you the MVP, but he wasn't the best player on that team. Dude only threw for more than 20 TDs in one season.

2 minutes ago, Lego My Lageman said:

The fastest guys aren't always the best receivers. I have no clue what percentage. Goodwin is probably fast that say Decker for example but his isnt a better receiver.

I'm not talking about just the sprinters.  I'm talking about guys who at this point, are significantly faster than Revis, and who he's not going to shut down like he may have 5 years ago.

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Revis had bad technique on the TD - but played well the rest of the game. I think people should give it to the rest of the season to really judge his play.

In fairness, I think people have been seeing this decline for years.  Only now it's really become pronounced.

Just now, gEYno said:

In fairness, I think people have been seeing this decline for years.  Only now it's really become pronounced.

For years? How many years are we talking here? Granted he is not Revis of 2009 and 2010 - but he is still a top corner.

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

For years? How many years are we talking here? Granted he is not Revis of 2009 and 2010 - but he is still a top corner.

Since Tampa, maybe even the year before that.  We are devoting to the 2015/16/17 Revis, the resources that you'd pay for the 2009/10 Revis.  That's why it's a bad deal.  I don't know if he's still a top corner.  If he is, then investing in a corner, with the way the league/rules are currently constructed, is a bad idea.

Just now, gEYno said:

Since Tampa, maybe even the year before that.  We are devoting to the 2015/16/17 Revis, the resources that you'd pay for the 2009/10 Revis.  That's why it's a bad deal.  I don't know if he's still a top corner.  If he is, then investing in a corner, with the way the league/rules are currently constructed, is a bad idea.

He played really well for NE and played really well up until the end of last season. It looked like Bowles took over the play calling on defense last night. People should probably give it a few weeks before deciding what the issues are. Revis is not a good zone corner which is why he looked so bad in Tampa.

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

He played really well for NE and played really well up until the end of last season. It looked like Bowles took over the play calling on defense last night. People should probably give it a few weeks before deciding what the issues are. Revis is not a good zone corner which is why he looked so bad in Tampa.

That he played really well for NE seems up for debate.  And, I'd disagree that he was playing well until the end of last year.  He got dominated by Watkins in both games and Hopkins make him look like a JV player.

15 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm not talking about just the sprinters.  I'm talking about guys who at this point, are significantly faster than Revis, and who he's not going to shut down like he may have 5 years ago.

I think the Ginn Jr, Goodwin style of guys are his weakness. He occasionally gives up those TDs. I don't think the rest of the top receivers nessecarily fit in that category. He can still play at a high level and compete. 

Just now, gEYno said:

That he played really well for NE seems up for debate.  And, I'd disagree that he was playing well until the end of last year.  He got dominated by Watkins in both games and Hopkins make him look like a JV player.

Watkins had 3 catches for 14 yards in the first match up against Revis last year. Watch the play again from last night again. It was a cover 3 zone and Revis played it horribly. I admit he is a terrible zone corner. Again, the defensive playcalling on the back end might be the issue. The entire secondary has been caught with their pants down the last two weeks. This is why I think we should give it a few weeks to straighten out.

2 minutes ago, Lego My Lageman said:

I think the Ginn Jr, Goodwin style of guys are his weakness. He occasionally gives up those TDs. I don't think the rest of the top receivers nessecarily fit in that category. He can still play at a high level and compete. 

Those guys have always been his weakness, and Desean Jackson has made him look silly.  But, I'm talking now about guys like AJ Green, Sammy Watkins, Antonio Allen, etc.  Revis can't hang with them... They're younger, faster, bigger, and stronger.

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Watkins had 3 catches for 14 yards in the first match up against Revis last year. Watch the play again from last night again. It was a cover 3 zone and Revis played it horribly. I admit he is a terrible zone corner. Again, the defensive playcalling on the back end might be the issue. The entire secondary has been caught with their pants down the last two weeks. This is why I think we should give it a few weeks to straighten out.

Including a catch that iced the game.

It's not a matter of this one play.  The point is that he's far from the player he used to be and he's being paid, 6-7 years later, off of two outstanding seasons.

Just now, gEYno said:

Including a catch that iced the game.

I honestly dont recall the play that iced the game. All I know is that the technique and playcalling in the secondary has been really bad. Miles one on one running across the field with Salas? No one else in the secondary was even close to Salas. These are all major technique and coverage call breakdowns. 

Jayson Cole from bleacher report:

As I reported earlier this week, #Jets CB Darrelle Revis didn't workout hard this offseason. Source said ominously: "You'll see. You'll see"

–---

I thought Revis would have too much pride to allow this to happen. He has produced after big paydays in the past. Who knows about this source, but if it it is true it is disgraceful to take the money and to be out of shape. he is owed $15 million in 2017 with 8 million guaranteed. Hopefully they can restructure. But I don't see him getting cut with that dead money hit.

Just now, PatsFanTX said:

No he didn't.

He was terrible down the stretch and especially in the playoffs.

Thanks Belicheck. Forgot you were the spokesperson for all things Patriots. Too bad I probably watch more Patriot games here in CT than you do in Texas.

1 hour ago, Lego My Lageman said:

The fastest guys aren't always the best receivers. I have no clue what percentage. Goodwin is probably fast that say Decker for example but his isnt a better receiver.

Goodwin might be the fastest player in the NFL.  He'd destroy Decker in a race but Decker is the better WR, by a mile

25 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

No he didn't.

He was terrible down the stretch and especially in the playoffs.

Sure he was.  Keep,stroking yourself and telling us this.  Of course if he signed with the Pats, who tried hard to sign him, it would be a totally different story.  

I was too wrapped up in the drama last night to keep track of Revis after that throw against him for the TD by that Olympic guy. But he was ok the rest of the night, wasn't he? I mean no more big plays and he basically did his job. But he looked totally unlike Revis after that play on the sidelines. Like he was embarrassed and did not seem to have the swagger he's had in the past. But he knows he can no longer be Revis Island. Bowles will have to make adjustments in the secondary with him and other Dbs and these guys will have to show more discipline and improve communication. I mean blown coverages were always a Rex thing not a Bowles thing  He has to get tough on this,. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Why would the Pats want to pay $17MM for an old, slow, fat CB who has no motivation whatsoever?

You don't sign a player like that for a PR (like Woody did) move.

You still think its cool to be a homer? Try using some honest critical thinking in your posts. You sound like a 5 year old fanboy. 

Archived